• Published 18th Nov 2012
  • 2,130 Views, 83 Comments

Crusader Ponies (Romance of the Six Counties) - swirlstar



Celestia divides a duchy amongst the Mane 6, who are then left to their own devices.

  • ...
8
 83
 2,130

Intermission 1: Fluttershy - Hill 442

Hill 442

“Twilight, we don’t have time! We need to do this right now!” a scared Rainbow Dash pleaded with the purple mare as the terrible shrieks of Changelings and ponies continued unabated around them. “We can’t hold this position much longer!”

“Rainbow Dash, stop!” Twilight’s eyes were closed in desperate concentration. “We only have one shot with the Elements this time ‘round; there isn’t any room for error!”

“Twilight, please -”

“Rainbow Dash, just stay out of Twilight’s hair, will you!” Rarity, her velvety mane stained by dirt and Applejack’s blood. She turned her attention back to the latter. “Oh, Applejack, just five more minutes, please, just five -”

“Don’t y’all…worry…none, I’ll make it for you guys,” Applejack’s green eyes looked upwards. “Hey, don’t worry, Fluttershy, I’ll be fine.”

*sniff*

“Grid! Ponyville Hydra 3489 3984 -” Pinkie Pie’s shrill voice was blanketed by the roar of the Party Battery.

Spike sat next to the extinguished campfire, slumped in apparent dejection.

Twilight’s ear was twitching, her eyelids were clenching ever tighter, and her whimpers were becoming audible.

“Twilight?” Spike stood up.

A tear leaked out from Twilight. “Argh! Stop it! Just shut it! I don’t want to listen to you! Just stop! Shut up! I need more time! I just…” the magical aura around her flickered in and out of sight.

Spike let out a sigh. Before anyone realized what he was up to, he had already donned his miniature helmet and walked up to the purple mare. “Twilight,” he said, putting his hand on her neck. “I can join the guards down there, give you more time, you know?”

Rainbow Dash was too shocked to even make the customary demeaning joke.

“What?!” Rarity shouted, “No! You won’t last down there! Spike, n-”

“No! Rarity,” Twilight interrupted, voice turning tranquil. “Spike’s right. You should go.” Her eyes remained firmly shut.

“Thanks, Twilight.”

“Go, Spike. I’m sorry it had come to this. I love you. Always.” Twilight’s silent tears were the only indication of her inner turmoil. Yet her body was noticeably relaxing.

Spike surveyed the other Elements (bar Pinkie Pie) in front of him, their faces betraying their dread. “It’s been great, being with all of you. And I gues…” he looked at Rarity, “Rarity, I love you.”

Rarity couldn’t help herself. Running towards, Spike, she hugged him with all her might. “Please, Spike *sniff*, don’t go, please!” she bawled.

“RARITY!” Twilight’s harsh voice cut Rarity’s dramatics short. “Stop it. Let. Him. Go!”

Though it obviously pained her, Rarity had little choice but to comply. “Good luck, Spikey Wikey.”

Nobody said anything for a long time afterwards. The only audible sounds that remained were that of chaos, fire, and Applejack’s labored breathing.

After what seemed like an eternity, Twilight finally spoke up. “It’s set,” she said, her voice drained of emotion. “Let’s do it.”

Fluttershy’s necklace began to glow. “Pinkie Pie!” Rainbow Dash called out “It’s starting! Get back here right now…”

Author's Note:

1st Revision: 2/10/2013 (Thanks Delta 93!)