• Published 15th Nov 2012
  • 1,036 Views, 8 Comments

The Edge of Darkness - There Is Nothing Here



What turned King Sombra into the dark being he is today?

  • ...
0
 8
 1,036

The Trial

King Sombra, a name that makes the ponies of The Crystal Empire cower in fear. Even the thought of the dark corrupt ruler struck the memories of agony into their hearts. The Dark King, was not always however, the evil being that he is known as today. That, is far, from the truth.


"Sombra!"

The gray stallion turned around. His deep black mane flowed around his, neck and covered his. He brushed his hair away, revealing his bright green eyes.

"Sombra. I have a message for you."

The courier handed the Sombra a scroll, and left.

Dear Sombra

Today is the day. Ever since your fathers passing I have waited for my chance to test you. If you succeed in my trials, consider yourself a member of the royal guard.

-King Allian-

"So, today's the day..."

Sombra dropped the note on the ground and rushed towards the castle, in the center of the glorious Crystal City. He had dreamed of joining the guard ever since he was little. Even as a child, he always had a fighting spirit, sticking up for his friends, and not taking anything from any pony. His father, Sonalo, had taught him everything he knew thus far. Sonalo was once captain of King Allian's guard, which was until... that day.

Sombra shook his head. He wouldn't allow the thoughts of his fathers passing to interfere with his test. If he was to succeed his father as captain of the guard, he would need to stay focused. His eyes began to glow as the castle came into view. His crystal coat, while gray in color, shined brighter than any pony else's on the street.

The front doors of the palace burst open. Upon his throne, King Allian looked across his the room, and stared into Sombra's eyes. His blue crystal mane shined from the light pouring through the windows.

"Sombra, glad you could make it."

The king spoke softly and calm, standing tall as the words left his lips.

"I would not miss this for the world my king."

King Allian smiled, impressed by the stallions attitude, most ponies would be having a nervous breakdown if they were about to perform a trial in front of their ruler.

"I like your attitude Sombra, you've got a fighting spirit, just like your father."

The King turned around, facing the Crystal Heart, which sat at the top of his throne, gleaming in the sunlight.

"It's beautiful isn't it. I only hope, that whoever my sit in this throne after my passing, is worthy enough, to behold in it's glory. For it is this crystal," King Allian turned around mid-sentence "that keeps us safe, from the dangers of the outside world."

"I would protect it and this empire to the death my liege."

Sombra saluted the king as he spoke.

"Indeed Sombra, and that is what I expect you to do. For taking the oath as a guard, will mean risking your own life for the safety of others; are you willing to do just that? If it is the only option, I expect no hesitation. For the safety of this empire, ensures the safety, of Equestria."

A drip of sweat fell off of Sombra's face, and fell to the floor.

"Yes, King Allian."

The King smiled.

"Then let us begin."


"Sombra."

The gray stallion turned his head. A dark red unicorn approached him.

"Follow me Sombra, your trials await. Three tests have been set out for you. Complete them, and you shall accepted into the guard."

"Alright, let's go."

Sombra began walking towards the door at the end of the hallway.

"Not so fast."

The red unicorn stuck his hoof out blocking Sombra's path. His tone changed as he uttered the almost threatening sentence.

Sombra turned his head, and looked at the unicorn, who stared at him menacingly.

"Listen to me. I don't care what the king says. I'm captain of the guard, and as long as I'm standing, you will never reach my rank."

Sombra's blood began to boil. He didn't like this unicorns attitude.

"We'll see about that."

"No. We won't, if I have anything to say about it, you won't make it a month before you wind up dead... or worse."

The gray stallion raised one eyebrow, confused at his last statement. What could "or worse" be? Whatever, he didn't care. He wasn't about to let some asshole ruin his chance to join the guard. He jerked himself away from the red unicorn, and walked down the hallway.

"Have fun." he heard as he opened the door.

Sombra looked up, as he now stood in a large courtyard, behind the Crystal Palace.

"Welcome Sombra."

The gray stallion looked up, as King Allian stood atop a pillar, placed in the center of the courtyard.

"Your test, begins now."

A lone pony stepped out of the dark room in the back of the courtyard. As he stepped into the light, his dark blue mane covered his face. He turned his head to the side, moving the hair from his face, revealing his bright white coat and purple eyes.

"As you know, all guards must be experienced fighters. Xilon here is going to test you in combat. You must attempt to defeat him by disarming him. And Sombra... make no hesitation. For the field of battle is no place for thoughts, only actions."

Sombra clenched his teeth. Even though he was the king, he had no right to doubt Sombra's skills. He was no less of a swordsman than his father.

"There is a blade waiting for you on the rack next to you."

Sombra turned his head, and looked at the small crystal weapon rack, the stood chained to the floor. He saw the silver long sword, that stood dormant in it's chamber. He extended his arm and gripped the sword. With great force, he pulled the blade of the rack, and held it out, challenging the white pony across the courtyard.

"Xilon," the king called out to the white pony as he drew his sword.

"You may begin. Sombra, attack."

"Kyaaa!"

Sombra charged at Xilon with tremendous speed. Xilon stood still, focusing his gaze on the charging stallion. He held his sword still, awaiting the attack. As Sombra grew closer, he gripped his sword and focused and the silver long sword, that his opponent gripped ever so tightly.

The gray stallion charged towards Xilon. Within swords reach, he motioned his arm to strike. Xilon positioned his sword perfectly to block the incoming attack, but instead, Sombra didn't strike. He used the speed from his charge, and jumped over Xilon. He kept himself balanced as his body flew over the white earth pony.

Sombra landed just behind Xilon, and swung his sword directly at his legs. Xilon picked up his back leg, and pushed himself into the air, barely dodging Sombra's strike. Xilon stuck his blade out, in front of Sombra's causing the gray stallion to stumble. Sombra felt his sword strike Xilon's and the recoil forced him to drop his sword.

Xilon landed, only a few inches away from Sombra. He kicked his sword back over to him.

"You didn't think this would be easy did you?"

Sombra clenched his teeth as he picked up his sword. This wasn't going to be easy. Not the slightest.

The gray stallion drew his sword, and began circling his opponent, waiting for the opportune moment to strike. Xilon didn't move, instead he held his sword and kept his eyes focused and Sombra. The gray stallion now stood behind Xilon, who still stood motionless. Sombra stopped moving, confused as to why Xilon didn't move.

"Never let your guard down!" As Xilon spoke, he turned around and threw his blade at Sombra. The gray stallion ducked, just barely dodging the blade. As he stood back up, he was struck in the face. He looked up as Xilon stood over him. He shook his head and attempted to stand back up. He tried to jump, but instead he felt something holding him back. He looked down, where Xilon was gripping his leg. He then felt himself flying, as the white stallion launched him towards the wall.

Xilon slowly approached his blade, which was lodged in the wall of the courtyard. Sombra's legs trembled as he attempted to stand up. He rubbed his head, and shrieked as his hoof swept over a large open cut on the right side of his head. He put his head down and gripped his face with his hoof, attempting to down the pain. The King then spoke,

"Your enemies will grant you no mercy. If you can't handle Xilon, perhaps you aren't fit to be a warrior at all."

King Allian's words burned in Sombra's head. He wouldn't allow himself to be defeated, and fail his father. The rage boiled up in Sombra's head, and he stood up, and drew his sword once more. He gazed into Xilon's dark purple eyes. The look on his face, he held no emotion. His face represented not fear nor bravery, not sadness or happiness, weakness or strength, bliss or rage. This battle was nothing but a joke to him, he was playing with him.

Sombra roared loudly, and charged again at Xilon. He raised his sword and jumped into the air.

"Hmph," Xilon said to himself as he jumped as well.

Sombra snickered.

"Perfect."

Xilon swung his blade at Sombra's chest. The gray stallion rolled out of harms way, and delivered a hard kick to Xilon's stomach. The white stallion fell in a downward spiral towards the ground. He opened his eyes, and forced himself to spin around, landing on his feet, half a second before he touched the ground.

Sombra landed next to him. Not giving his opponent the chance to recover, he swung his sword as Xilon. Seeing the attack coming, Xilon drew his blade, and blocked Sombra's strike. Not wanting to give up, Sombra attacked in a frenzy of strikes. The blue maned stallion began to get tired as he continuously blocked is attackers blows.

Sombra raised his sword in both hooves, and swung his sword down towards Xilon's hoof, attempting to disarm him. Xilon rolled to the right, sticking his leg out as he landed, tripping the black maned pony. Sombra's blade fell with him, leaving a cut on his front left leg. The stallion shrieked in pain as blood flowed out of his leg. He grabbed his leg and laid on the ground, roaring in pain.

"It's over Sombra."

Xilon put his sword back in his holder, and turned around.

"You disappoint me Sombra," the king sighed as he turned away from the shrieking pony.

"How could I have let this happen! I had my whole life staked on this. I can't, I'm not going to go down like this."

The stallion clenched his teeth as a nasty smile grew on his face. He stood up slowly, and picked up his blade. He launched his blade towards Xilon. He then charged after his blade, towards Xilon. The white stallion turned around, and quickly caught Sombra's blade. He looked in shocked as the blade was a mere two inches from his face.

Sombra then grabbed Xilon's arm, and repeatedly punched him in the chest. He threw the white stallion to the ground and picked up his sword from Xilon's hoof. Xilon groaned as he reached for his sword, which had fell a few feet away from him. He dragged his body towards it, when he felt a sharp pain in his side. Sombra continuously kicked him in his rib cage. The white stallion began gasping for breath as Sombra relentlessly beat him. He grabbed Sombra's leg, and flipped him over.

King Allian turned around, and looked at the ground, where he saw Xilon and Sombra, mindlessly beating each other with their bare hooves. Both stallions were heavily bleeding out of multiple wounds on their bodies, but neither of them gave any ground.

"Even after all that, slashing himself in the leg and being humiliated by Xilon multiple times, he still fights. Interesting, he's more persistent than I thought. Perhaps, he will be of some use. But still, he's nothing compared to Sonalo," the king thought to himself.

Sombra pushed Xilon to the ground, attempting to give himself some breathing room. He felt the blood dripping out of his mouth and onto the ground. He could feel that he had broken at least three of his ribs and that he couldn't keep this up much longer. He raised his fist, with the intent to finish Xilon here and now, when suddenly, he heard clapping in the background.

The black maned stallion looked up at the pillar, to see King Allian, applauding him.

"Very well Sombra. I didn't know you were so persistent."

Xilon moaned in pain as he stood up.

"Xilon. Go to the barracks and rest. Sombra, follow me. We have much to discuss before your next trial."

King Allian turned around, and stepped into the toward on the other side of the courtyard.Sombra sighed, fearing that his next two trials would be even worse than this. Meanwhile, standing by the door where Sombra had entered, stood a lone red unicorn. As Xilon walked through the door, he felt himself falling, as he was struck in the face.

"How could you lose to that pathetic whelp! You disgust me Xilon."

Xilon said nothing. He got up and continued limping down the hall. He stopped and turned his head.

"Say what you will Blaith. But when the time comes, you'll be tested, and your not going to pass."

The red unicorn turned around with a nasty grin on his face.

"I'm looking forward to it."


Sombra entered King Allian's throne room, where King Allian sat atop his throne.

"Guards, get him a medic before he bleeds out."

"Yes my liege."

The guard saluted the king, and rushed off.

"So, what did you need to talk to me about?"

Allian smiled.

"There's no rush Sombra. Relax, all will be revealed in due time."

"No. I just got the living hell beaten out of me. Now, just explain the next trial before I lose my mind."

"Calm down Sombra. You're in no conditon..."

The gray stallion could no longer hear the king's voice. He became very faint and his vision began to blur. He collapsed to the floor, and was quickly surrounded by a pool of blood. As he felt himself passing out he heard the king yelling.

"Get a medic fast! He's dying here!"

The gray stallion closed his eyes, and was knocked out cold.

King Allian stood over Sombra's body.

"Get him to the hospital. Make sure nothing happens to him. I may have need of him later..."

"Yes my king."


Sombra opened his eyes. And found himself lying down on a large stone. He lifted his head quickly, and looked around him. It appeared to be some sort of cave. What the hell was going on, he thought to himself. He rubbed his eyes, trying to clear his blurry vision. He looked at his leg, where his sword had slashed him. There was no wound or scar or anything, it had vanished. Same went for the cut on his head. Sombra stood up, and began wandering the cave, looking for an exit.

He heard a voice faintly echoing off the cave walls. His slow walk sped up into a full sprint as he charged towards the voices. The black maned stallion darted throughout the tunnels of the cavern in search of the voices he heard. But, wherever he was, this cave was much too large. He heard, the voices... but couldn't find their source. He called out to them.

"Hello!"

No answer. All he heard was his voice echo off the cave walls, followed by complete silence.

He continued roaming the caves, when he came across a small underground spring. He didn't realize it, but he had been in that cave for a long time, he was parched. He stuck his head down, and stuck his tongue out to drink. But, as his tongue reached the water, he felt nothing. His tongue merely moved freely in the air, even though he could clearly see that it was in the water.

He backed away from the spring, extremely confused. Sombra walked back and forth for what seemed like hours, but in reality, was only a few minutes. What in all hell was going on? Where was he? The last thing he remembered was passing out in the king's throne room. Was this another trial? But even if it was, why couldn't he drink the water. He didn't know of any spell that could conjure fake water, something was wrong here, very wrong.

The gray stallion solemnly sat down on a stone just a few inches away from the spring. He sat in silence with his head buried in his hooves. Thoughts slowly began to Sombra's mind, the bodies natural way of keeping itself occupied. For a long time, many random thoughts fluttered in his mind, until the unavoidable topic crossed his mind. Who was that red unicorn back at the castle? What did he have against Sombra that he had to threaten him like that? He didn't even know who that was, and yet he could feel the hatred and fury in his voice, like they had been at war with each other for years. Sombra knew when someone was angry, and that pony was seething with hatred, no doubt about it. If he ever got back to the Crystal City, he would need to find out who that is, after he completed Allian's trials.

With that thought in mind, what would Allian's other trials be like? Xilon was a vicious opponent in battle, Sombra had fought his heart out, and he still only won because of a surprise attack. In a real battle, no enemy would turn around and walk away when you're down. They'd finish you off and laugh at how pathetic you were. The thought of anyone calling Sombra pathetic infuriated him. He would have to get stronger. If Xilon isn't even the best the guard had to offer, he was in for a serious challenge.

Sombra's ears perked up. He lifted his head as he heard something in this distance. Voices, the voice were back, and they were very close. The gray stallion turned his head and looked down the tunnel, where a group of ponies turned the corner. He jumped up, hoping that whoever these ponies were, had come to find him. He called out to them, but they didn't respond.

The small group of ponies walked down the tunnel, each of them wearing armor, continuing on with their conversation, ignoring Sombra. The stallion rushed towards the group of ponies.

"Hello!"

Nothing, they simply continued walking. Sombra reached out and attempted to grab one of them, but his hoof phased right through them.

Sombra stood back in shock. He looked at his hooves, and said to himself,

"What, the hell was that."

The group of ponies stopped. One stallion stepped out of the group. He had a dark gray mane, light red hair and was wearing black crystal armor. Sombra looked in shock as he saw the nameplate on the stallion's chest.

"Captain Sonalo."

Sombra stepped back, and quietly whispered to himself,

"D- Dad?"