• Published 14th Nov 2012
  • 565 Views, 5 Comments

The Awesome Quest of My Little Ponies - ThatOneYellowPony



The Mane 6 embark on an epic quest of turn-based awesome. You needn't be a gamer to follow along!

  • ...
 5
 565

1: The Call to Action

//-----------------------------
// Story: The Awesome Quest of My Little Ponies
// Chapter: Chapter 1: The Call to Action
// Author: ThatOneYellowPony
//-----------------------------


There are many great ways to start a story. One way is to jerk the reader in with some action. For instance, I could start this story with "...And then the shadow monsters broke through the force field, and thus began the pony apocalypse" but such an introductory could wrongly impose expectations in you the reader. I could well start with Fluttershy exploding, which would horrify you, then proceed to tell a namby-pamby romance between Rainbow and Twilight, or Rainbow and Celestia, or Rainbow and that stick over there, or Rainbow and really anypony, person, concept, or inanimate object capable of sprouting out from within my imagination.

But as it so happens, I'm a little constrained as to how I can begin this epic tale of courage, love, and cheap turn-based combat, because this is not from my imagination. Yes, the following story about magic anthropomorphic cream-colored ponies is 100% accurate to the real events of the real lives of Twilight Sparkle, Rarity, Pinkie Pie, and the other ones. And if you truly believe that, then I think I'm going to have fun with you in the following chronicles.

But enough about me, you came for the ponies, because the canon show couldn't give you enough or because there's some deep, dark hole in your heart from ‘My Little Dashie’ that needs to be filled with happy fics:

Today might have been one of the hottest days Ponyville had ever seen. It was one of those days where everypony glistened and held that baked ‘derpy’ expression in their eyes. It was a day where a pony like Rarity may have found herself steaming in the spa, or resting in the shade, or really anywhere but soaking up rays and sweating like a common work mule. Naturally when Applejack saw Rarity she immediately knew that something was up. Perhaps Rarity had been locked out of her boutique, or maybe it was somepony else. Although that didn’t seem likely, because only ponies like Lyra, Bon Bon, or Derpy seemed to be copy-pasted all over creation. No, Rarity only had one self, and that self was looking for Opalescence because she had left the cat in Sweetie Belle's care, who obviously couldn't be trusted with the simplest of tasks on behalf of her incorrigible obsession with cutie mark of lack thereof.

"Opal?" asked the farmer pony, correctly guessing at her friend’s problem.

"Yes, Sweetie Belle's reckless kitty-sitting abilities have condemned me to this horrid torridity" Rarity grinded through her teeth.

Applejack had no choice but to assume this delicately constructed sentence meant "It's so sweaty and hot out here that I'm getting pit-rashes!"

"Well," started Applejack after a moment's thought "Ain't any use looking in this here town square. Ain't so much as a speck a good shade. Remember last time Opal went missing? She turned up in my barn with that boy cat you said you didn't approve of."

Oh yes, Rarity certainly remembered that scrawny wanna-be Romeo. Entirely a bad influence on her precious angel of a kitten don't you know? But even though she had already searched Sweet Apple Acres she decided to check again with her friend Applejack if only to beat the heat of the high noon sun.

Of course, it had been the high noon sun for quite a while, longer than your average high noon to be sure. In fact, as of this moment it had been high noon for longer than it had ever been before by exactly-

"-2 hours, 32 minutes, and 9 and a half seconds!" exclaimed Twilight.

As you and I both know Twilight always had a thing for studying and her interest would gradually change from one area to another over time. By coincidence, weather was this week's devotion.

The unicorn hopped back from the window, trotted down the stairs and hopped about the library downstairs with a grin that would break my heart at first glance.

"I did it! I did it! Oh! Ooooh! Eur-, Euri-" She stopped suddenly, trying to think of the word.

"Um, did what exactly?" asked Spike, who was busy polishing and putting away telescopes from last week’s obsession: astronomy

"Eru-, Erna-," She continued, trembling. Whatever the word was it was clearly very important to her.

Spike simply rolled his eyes and wiped some sweat off his brow.

"You know if it gets any hotter I'm-"

"EUREKA!!" Twilight finally shouted, resuming her prancing about the library.

"You're-a-what-now?" asked a startled Spike.

"Eureka. It's a word scientist ponies say when they make a discovery. I've always wanted to say it but I've never discovered anything on my own. I mean, just think of last week. 9 straight hours staring into the marvels of space and not so much as one giant, planet-destroying asteroid"

"Um, that's too bad?"

"But now I've made a connection between the sun and Princess Celestia!" she proudly shrieked.

Spike face-clawed “Don’t they teach you that first thing in magic kindergarten, or even just regular kindergarten? That's not a discovery"

Twilight snorted incredulously. When it came to science, nopony ever seemed to just get things the way she did. She was truly alone in her love for the world of logic. Why didn't anypony else ever see the world as a series of ingenious things all cultivated from the same basic rules? But she knew it wasn't fair of her to get frustrated at her assistant and more importantly: friend. She sighed and took a step back in her thoughts.

"Two days ago one of Celestia's royal guards passed away. His name was Proudhoof, and he was a good friend of hers too. That day, the sun gave off less heat than was usual. Today, she flew through Ponyville on her chariot and didn't even stop to say hello. She was angrier than I had ever seen her, and today the sun's burned hotter and brighter than ever before!"

Spike followed the curious purple unicorn's less-than-earth-shattering discovery. About all he could say was that it was interesting, but ultimately inconsequential. But he kept his mouth shut because really, how many baby dragons do you know with 'inconsequential' in their vocabulary? This particular one didn’t even know “brink”

"But that's not all. Remember that fancy trololometer the Princess gave me for my birthday last year? You'll never guess what it's reading."

Spike remembered. The gift had been wrapped up in the shape of a cake. Pinkie had tried to eat it, not knowing the contents were a titanium alloy. Her jaw had been locked open for an hour, but that was okay because her breath filled the room with the smell of sweets.

Twilight proceeded to whistle, an ability she had tenuously developed after reading "How to whistle: Pony Lips and their Curious Properties" because when you're a dedicated egghead like Twilight you have how-to's for most everything. If you recall, Twilight has a pet owl named Owlowiscious who helps her during the night to give Spike a rest for the following day, where Owlowiscious would be asleep and Spike would take over. When does Twilight Sparkle sleep? To be honest I'm not entirely sure she does.

"I just whistled for Owlowiscious. He'll be up and down here in just a moment. Trololoscopes get the best readings the higher they are, so I installed mine on the highest branch. I know you're afraid of heights so I'll let him retrieve it."

"I'm not afraid of heights" muttered Spike

"Seven months four days ago: We decided to support Rainbow Dash in her Best Young Flyers competition. You joined us in the balloon. We rose three feet. You screamed and wanted off." noted Twilight, her perfect memory starting to get on Spike's nerves.

Twilight whistled again, thinking her pet owl hadn't heard her. When he didn't come swooping down the second time around she went upstairs to his perch and discovered it abandoned. Worried, she and Spike searched high and low in her tree home. The owl was not in the shelves, not in the basement, nor was he untying the trololoscope from the topmost branch which jutted up into the heavens. Normally, Twilight wouldn't be so worried, Owlowiscious had always proven to be self-sufficient, but unlike Spike her worry was over something very different. You see, she had just spent a week reading over 11 different texts and tombs about weather. Each one touched upon certain phenomenon. And in every last one, they made reference to intense weather irregularities that followed fleeing animals.

########

Earlier that same day Fluttershy had promised to pet-sit Tank for Rainbow Dash, as she had made other arrangements. I'm going to specify that Rainbow was busy getting her Daring Do's signed by the author, who was making a special appearance in Ponyville that day. Because if I left that vague, you might well have assumed she was busy professing her love for that stick over there.

Fluttershy and the flying tortoise were enjoying a leisurely flutter alongside the butterflies and other cute critters in the natural grounds not far from her property. But even though the two of them had always enjoyed their silent companionship, Fluttershy was forced to break it and speak up.

"Are you okay? I’ve noticed you’ve been very tense today. You're even flying faster than I do, and I've always known you to take things slowly" said Fluttershy.

She set her hooves on either side of the tortoise and spun him around so they were eye to eye. Having always possessed a special connection with animal folk, she knew full well what was the matter.

"You're afraid of something coming aren't you?" whispered Fluttershy. Her eyes were too much for Tank to bear. He turned to the side and gave a feeble nod. "But you don't want to leave without Rainbow, am I right? Well, if it's that important we'll just have to bring you to her. But before we leave I just need to refill all the water bowls in my cottage. It's been very hot today and I would hate from my precious angel to be thirsty. Or my precious birdies, or my precious mice, or my precious chickens, or my...-"

She continued to list off her precious dependants as she gracefully glided her way home. She opened the door with an adorable little kick of her fore-hoof, and floated in. What a shame, she had let some of the bowls fall below half full. She would have hated to see what would have happened if she had left to find Dash without returning here. It would have been just so, so awful and, and-

Fluttershy let out a gasp. It appeared that her precious birdies, mice, chickens, lions, tigers, bears, owls, wasps, toucans, puppies, kittens and enough other animals to sing every last Disney song, all at once had up and left. Even her pet rock, Little Tom Junior, appeared to be missing. The only evidence of the three and a half zoos that had occupied her home all but two hours ago, were a few feathers and tufts of fur. In fact now that they were gone her home felt far too big for a single pony to live in. Just like that her family had up and left her home and heart. Alarmed, the pegasus scooped up tank and flew out her door in a blur.

Fluttershy is just about the last pegasus to ever come out of flight school you'd expect to see travelling as a blur. Rainbow Dash? Sure. It was weirder not to see her at the cutting edge of her own spectrum of colors. Roid Rage? If he's late to see the new episode of My Little Human: Thumbs are Hocus-pocus, the colt might as well have been shot from a cannon. Derpy Hooves? We all know that when she needs to, she is capable of doing whatever it takes to help her friends. But when Fluttershy flew through Sweet Apple Acres, not even noticing Applejack and Rarity three feet below her, the two earth-bound ponies knew that something was terribly amiss. They even turned around, heading to wherever she was. Not long after she shot over Twilight's house, not even noticing the trololoscope, which was usually dormant, buzzing and displaying a strange message. But then she passed over Pinkie Pie, and stopped comically in the air. Tank's eyes were glazed over, as he didn't have enough reaction time to shut his eyelids.

For no matter how fast Fluttershy was travelling, she could never miss the sound of tears coming from a pony that was usually the most cheerful in town. Even though she was desperately in need of Rainbow Dash, it was against her nature to abandon a crying friend, even if Fluttershy wasn't sure what the crying was for.

"Pinkie?" She asked, sounding like she too was at the brink of tears. Which let’s face it: she probably was.

Evidently, Pinkie had not noticed Fluttershy as she hiccupped and frantically wiped her eyes clean.

The pair of them were in the shade provided by Sugar Cube Corner, Pinkie Pie's home for as long as anypony could remember.

"Pinkie?" Fluttershy repeated. If you've been good friends with somepony a long time, you know that when they cry, even if you don't know what for and it could be a really silly reason, you'll find yourself just as wet of the eye in an instant. When you're as soft of spirit as Fluttershy was, you'd go from alarmed to bawling in 21 and a half seconds.

With no further words, the two of them embraced and cried it all out. Unbeknownst to them, Tank was pursuing Rainbow Dash, who he knew couldn't be far.


########

Princess Celestia was angry, which agreeably you already know, but I should emphasise just how boiling hot she was. Her white coat sizzled and her eyes seemed to pulse. If she were a boss fight, she’d probably be able to shoot laser beams out from them. In the past she had witnessed the return of Discord, who threatened to turn the pony utopia into a convoluted mess, the Changeling Queens attempt to literally suck the love out from Equestria, and the nightmarish spectre that was Nightmare Moon who affected the ambiance of the land by prolonging beddy-bye time. But never before had she been as livid as she was now.

Celestia, although other ponies would like to disagree, was a kind and gentile leader. Sure, she could be a bit of a troll at times, but everypony knew she meant well. She did not have many rules, but one rule she thought everypony knew flat out was never, under any circumstances, should they leave the borders of Equestria and enter the shadow lands beyond. And now the barriers that kept the otherworld monstrosities out were crumbling to nothing. And the wise leader knew that the Chosen heroes of Harmony: Rarity, Twilight Sparkle, Pinkie Pie and the other ones may be their only hope. Unfortunately, she also knew full well that beyond her nation's borders the elements would be nullified. The Element of Generosity would become simply a personality trait. Pinkie Pie's Laughter element would become seldom more than giggles and ice cream cake. The Elements of Loyalty and Honesty would become little more than mantras and the Element of Magic would be little more than a pretty tiara and some clinical depression.

And the worst part, the most aggravating of it all, was that it all could have been prevented too. Now, thanks to some terrible mistakes, she would be forced to send her beloved student into the greatest peril she would ever experience. And ever since the other five had started sending her letters, she had grown attached to the others she would have otherwise happily dedicated to cannon fodder.

She was painfully aware that Luna and she would be forced to stay behind and use their powers to protect pony kind here on the home front. A fact that made her writhe in the heat of her own searing sun.

Presently, she was pacing up and down Town Hall, waiting for the Mayor to arrive. She checked her inventory: 99,999 bits; 99 revives; 99 Ultra-potions; 99 minor-potions; and 99 of a lot of other things. She checked her special items: 8 phoenix feathers; 6 orbs of elementia; and 1 Dark Key. Her level, just like Luna's, was 99. She specialized in Holy magic, Luna in Dark magic. Browsing her menus only led her into a deeper sadness. Ponies here didn't know how to fight in turn-base which was the only form of battling that could serve them now that the shadows had broken into Equestria. Magic would be the key to survival.

See, normally it is assumed only unicorns can use magic, which isn't really true at all. In desperate times, anypony of any age could learn some magic. It's just much, much easier for unicorns and especially alicorns like Princess Celestia.

Although it felt like ages to the fuming princess, the mayor eventually did arrive, wrongly assuming Celestia had come to compliment her on her wrapping up winter on time for the second year running. Hence why the beige mare came bounding in head held high.

"Why hello Princess! Whatever brings you to our fair town on this here fair day?" She said, batting her eyes.

"I'm here to warn you that you're in most terrible danger, and to request you gather me these ponies in this hall for a private meeting" She inhaled deeply before listing off all of the Apple Family that lived nearby minus Applejack. "I would also like separate meetings for each of the following: Sweetie Belle and her parents; Mr. and Ms. Cake as locating Pinkie's real family would take too much time. I don't even know where this 'rock farm' is; Scootaloo; and finally Spike. The last ponies I would like to see are Twilight Sparkle, Pinkie Pie, Rarity and the other ones. You know, Applejack, Rainbow Dash, and Fluttershy. Do you require me to repeat any of that?”

"Um, n-no" said a surprised Mayor. She was good with remembering instructions, but she also knew she had worked really, really, hard to wrap up winter on time this year. She shook her head to clear it.

"Your supreme superiority, didn't you say we were in danger? And if you wanted to see Twilight Sparkle and her five some of friends, couldn't you write them? I understand you're in regular communication."

"First rule of Code Rainbow: communicate only face to face" instructed the Princess rigidly.

"Code Rainbow?" the Mayor dared to ask.

"Code Red: Invasion. Code Orange: The Princess has missed her lunch. Code Yellow: I've started considering changing my exile location from the moon to the sun. Code Green: The sun's so hot the springtime flowers are burning away. Code Blue: Pony lives are under threat. Code Indigo: The animals are fleeing. Code Violet: The shadows are coming. Code Rainbow is when they all happen together." Explained Celestia

"How often does that happen!" the Mayor's voice was higher of pitch than she would have liked.

"Never before. Most likely because chance would never have all these catastrophes line up at once. Most of those codes I just made up anyways." Even under dire circumstances, Celestia remained a troll at heart.

"But before I leave," said the Mayor, urgency in her voice. She even started edging towards the exit "Can you tell me what the shadows are?"

"Dark beings" Celestia replied

"And what are the dark beings?"

"...shadows" Celestia responded, a somber look upon her. She was staring off into the distance, as though this were some sort of grim superhero re-imagining.

Seeing she wouldn't be able to understand in time, she fled the scene in search of the Apple Family minus Applejack.

"Make haste Mayor-whose-name-escapes-me! I'll be waiting!"


########


With her newly signed copies of Daring Do, Dashie had every right to be happy. She swirled about in the hot, muggy air, clutching the books close to her heart. The place they always were, metaphorically. Every couple of spins she would stop midair and peer behind the front cover. There it was: that beautiful curvy signature from the mare behind the wonder. For Rainbow Dash, adventure was everything, much like it was for Daring Do. And oh what wonder it would be to be like Do. The Excitement! The Danger! Bad guys and Henchmen! And secret treasure! And! And!

Her thoughts were stopped when she heard the familiar whirring of the little helicopter installed in her pet tortoise.

"Oh, hello Tank. Wasn't Fluttershy supposed to be watching you?" asked a quizzical Rainbow.

Tank held her in a pleading stare, such that the rainbow-maned pony had never lain witness to. But even though this particular pegasus had never had an affinity for animal lore, she could sense something was up. Deciding that Fluttershy was better at this sort of thing, she promised her pet to seek her out and get a pet-to-pony translation.

But as we know Fluttershy was already nearby. In fact, less than a minute later Rainbow could hear the sobs of two of her friends. She rounded the bend and discovered these ponies’ identities. As much as it tugged at her heart, she had become used to Fluttershy bursting into tears. Perhaps it was because Tank had escaped her, but to see Pinkie Pie crying was too much for her to sit back and mull over.

"Pinkie?" she said as she approached, sounding more stunned than empathetic. "Are you...crying?"

But before the fastest mare in Equestria could receive her answer, three new ponies and a dragon had appeared on the scene. Rarity and Applejack had been following Fluttershy as you know and when they passed her tree house, a troubled Twilight and a confused Spike decided to tag along.

"So you two were out trying to find Opal? Wait-Applejack! When did you last see Winona?" said Twilight. Now that they were approaching, their conversation could be heard.

"Ah told you once and I'll tell ya again" said a very frustrated Applejack. "Winona's an outdoors pup. She comes and goes as she pleases. I can't tell ya when I last saw her."

"Twilight, I'm as worried over our companions as you but there is such a thing as a coincidence." said Rarity.

"I still don't know what a Trololometer is!" exclaimed Spike.

But the four characters halted their bickering when they saw the wet faces of Fluttershy and Pinkie Pie. Pinkie's face was clenched together and comical amounts of tears were making her look positively defeated. Spike was the first to give the pink earth pony a hug, and was followed by everypony else. Everypony, everydragon, and everytortoise had joined in to comfort her, still not knowing what had broken her heart.

Twilight had nuzzled her and tried to get her to explain what was wrong, but Pinkie remained silent although hiccupping on occasion. If you are lucky enough to be close friends with Pinkie Pie, you'll know that when she's really upset, she says nothing. She took 'If you don't have something nice to say, don't say anything at all' and made it 'If you're not going to talk about sunshine and lollipops, don't say anything at all' which is sad in its own rights.

Nopony had managed to get Pinkie to open up to them before yet another somepony new showed up. This somepony new was sweaty coated mayor.

"Oh thank goodness! I've found you!" she panted "Princess Celestia needs to talk to you. The six of you. She's in Town Hall but she wants to speak with you last. That means you go in after Spike, who goes in after her one-on-one with that little orange pegasus Scootaboo or whatever."

And with that the frantic mare continued on her way to locate Rarity's parents as she had already found Sweetie Belle.

The ponies, understanding the importance of a royal summons, ventured towards Town Hall immediately. Pinkie Pie wiped her eyes, glad she didn't have to confront any feelings of hers that were not complete pleasantness. Twilight Sparkle was relieved, confident that the Princess would have the answers to her idle questions and she would return to comfortably knowing everything. Rainbow was confused; knowing her little buddy Scootaloo was going to have a one on one with the nation’s ruler. Fluttershy was afraid; whatever spooked away all her animals must have been big and scary. Applejack was anxious; summons had proven to lead them into danger in the past. Rarity tripped on a rock.

When they arrived it had become apparent that the one on one's were taking longer than expected. What surprised the ponies was that the others going in before them were all friends and family. Which I suppose, wasn't so unlikely considering what a wonderfully kind world they inhabited. By the time it was Twilight, Rarity, Pinkie and the other ones' turn to meet Celestia, the sun had fallen and a refreshingly cool evening followed.

When Scootaloo emerged from the hall she promptly found her friends Sweetie Belle and Apple Bloom. Sweetie had very deep and very nasty looking scratches all up and down her legs from when Opal had squirmed out of them.

"I'll keep it quick" Promised Spike as he went for his one on one. He knew how long and stressful their day had been, especially with the fearful atmosphere.

"Thank you Spike" said Twilight, who never forgot her manners.

Applejack was still trying to sucker her baby sister into telling her what the Princess had told them.

"Ah told you we ain't supposed to say nothing!" pleaded Apple Bloom.

Applejack's brow furrowed for a moment and then receded. She wouldn't force it out of her, but Applejack also knew that whatever the princess had said spooked her to a snowy white made paler by the twilight.

Less than half a minute later, Spike emerged. Considering the others were in there for upwards of forty minutes each; he felt a little ripped off and looked confused.

The time was now. Rarity, Twilight, Pinkie, and the other ones stepped forward, passed through the elegant door into Ponyville’s heart and hall, each unaware of the quest they were about to be given. A quest that would take them beyond the world they knew and into the mysterious lands beyond.


########

"Luna my dear, it's been far too long" Smiled the black stallion, finally seeing his old friend.

Allow me to firmly establish that this black stallion is not actually buddies with Princess Luna. In fact, the two of them had been enemies for a very, very long time. He was just one of the suave villains who refer to their foes by 'dear' or 'chum'. For example, if Discord were to return he might call Twilight his 'old friend' with a disturbed laugh.

The stallion had appeared from the shadows, as was his nature, in the Canterlot Gardens. Luna had been expecting his arrival, which is why Equestria's fifth coolest alicorn had left the castle grounds, to spare the ponies that lived there and because home insurance in Equestria was virtually non-existent.

The black stallion was heavy set and had two wings, making him technically a pegasus. Although his wings were not the ordinary feathery appendages you see jutting out of cute ponies like Fluttershy. No, his wings were bat-like with sinister hooks and a red undercoat. Even though this pony-if such a cutesy title were permitted on him-was a pegasus, he had always been on the cutting edge of modern magic much like he was well versed in the arcane.

Luna, who could hardly be called a snappy word player, replied with nothing.

The Canterlot Gardens were normally filled with beautiful hedge trimming and intricate statues; although in the dark they did nothing but cast silhouettes upon a screen of a million shiny stars. The light cascading from the great, round moon was all the pair of ancient rivals had to work with. Well, that and the magic lights that set certain displays aglow, like the magnificent statue of Starswirl the Bearded, gazing out into the cosmos and entwined in ivy.

The princess of the night gazed upon the great round light that had once been her purgatory. When she had returned, she took the form of the wicked Nightmare Moon. She couldn't help but draw parallels to the stallion presenting himself to her. He had been exiled to the shadows a long time ago, and now he had returned, perhaps more a demon than he ever was. But unlike her, she knew that this stallion could not be saved from the path he had chosen.

"You are very naive, showing your face here so soon" taunted Luna, beginning to circle her opponent.

"You too are very naive, for not running when you had the chance" he taunted right back, beginning to circle her as well. "Tell, me, where's that sister of yours? You two were a duo that couldn't be undone. Never was I given a fair fight. You know, one versus one"

"So a fight is what you have come here for" Observed Luna

"The problem is I haven't come here at all. At least not yet" said the stallion, coyly flashing a set of white fangs.

The black stallion stopped his circling along with Luna. He smiled at the look of confusion on the alicorn’s face.

"After all, I'm just a shadow" And with that, the Black Stallion engaged her in battle.

His move. He quickly used Black Wing, a heavy set attack punching a sizable 45k. With a great heave of the stallion's great batwings, a black gust assailed the Princess, knocking her back.

Always one for defence over brutality she cast a Twilight Mirror on herself. Her horn glowed purple and a violet bubble cascaded shard by shard from the heavens, swallowing the Princess of the Night. This protective field could rebound offensive spells on the caster. Although it's success rate was low.

Thanks to Luna's Crest of Multitasking, she was now able to use an item before the play returned to her foe. She smiled. It had been so long since her last fight she was all stocked up on everything she could ever want. When she was smaller, she had difficulties raising the moon at dusk. She would slam it into stars or knock meteors to the earth. It was always because she would try and do other things at the same time like brush her pearly white teeth of the night. The crest was a gift from her sister, allowing her to maintain both good dental hygiene and fulfill her lunar duties. She decided to remain conservative and select a more common item. Namely, a Super Potion, because a Duper Potion wasn't quite necessary.

The Super Potion restored 50k, bringing her hit points back up to 165k, their maximum. She licked her lips of the lemony flavor and braced for the stallion's turn.

In traditional RPG manor, the next logical move in the shadow colt's arsenal was to summon a meteor shower with the express intent of barraging a relatively small target, which is exactly what he did. He flew into the air, encircling himself with many vibrant glyphs while chunks of space rock banked around him. They tore up the nicely trimmed lawn and marked the end of several belabored sculptures. But it only dealt a measly 10k to Luna, who had been wearing her cosmos-cosmetic blush, which offered space rock resistance.

Seeing the destruction her enemy had already brought to her home, a fire lit in the pony's heart. A fire that burned to her core and, if you have ever had the delight of meeting Princess Luna, you would know could only mean one thing. Gamers might call it a Limit Break or a Special Attack or really any other name that means 'Super Powerful Flank-Kicking Move'.

Surely enough she used the action unique to her and her alone. It was called Nightmare, and began with the darkening of their surroundings; until all was black save for the two opponents. Then, several violet glyphs manifested before her filled with ancient text. Three bolts of pale white lightning sprung from her horn with a flourish. With a cathartic whoosh they pierced the stallion's heart. A critical hit. The darkness gave way to their usual surroundings.

But by the time the Canterlot Gardens had returned around them, the black stallion had gone leaving his cruel laughter to slowly dissipate into silence. He had returned to shadow and slipped away. Luna, whose heart was pounding with concern, understood that her opponent had been a phantom sent by the real stallion. These realizations lead her to some relief. Perhaps the stallion wasn't a close as she feared.

She stared at the place the stallion had stood moments before. It was nothing but slightly damp albeit well trimmed grass. Her shoulders slumped and she fell. The earth rushed to meet up with her head and beautiful mane. Tears of a weaker pony escaped her.

The last time she and Celestia had defeated this stallion they were blessed with luck, youth and mistakes on his part. She could not be certain she would have strength enough to do it again, should Twilight, Pinkie, Rarity, and the other ones fail.

Author's Note:

That right there was my very first published fanfic. Be sure to let me know what you think. I fully plan to continue this adventure unless people really hate it, but who's to say that'll stop me? To be honest I have no idea what I'm even doing. I've mostly been rolling my face across the keyboard. But hey, we all have our tricks!

Sincerely; ThatOneYellowPony

Oh yes: and a big thanks to Cl0setBr0ny101 for editing this chapter for me. Everypony's so kind here!