• Published 20th Nov 2012
  • 853 Views, 11 Comments

Shooting Star - Comet Burst



Rainbow Dash is the fastest pony around, until a rival appears.

  • ...
1
 11
 853

Friends and Enemies

Rainbow Dash steadily beat her wings as she glided over Ponyville. She was headed over to Twilight's library to discuss with her the race, at Twilight's request. Rainbow Dash had never been more excited for a race like this. Finally getting a chance to compete in the great Daybreak Dash would surely show the Wonderbolts she was the fastest pony around. Her excitement made her so energetic, she did several loop-de-loops in the air. Her friend Applejack had said she was going to compete as well, so Rainbow Dash got even more excited. What if she could not only impress the Wonderbolts but also have a rematch of the Running of the Leaves?

A large white cumulus cloud brought her back to earth and she shook her head. Clearly she was getting too worked up about it, allowing herself to be distracted while she flew. Deciding it was best to just walk there, Rainbow Dash landed near Cupcake Corner and trotted off in a cheerful mood. It was interrupted by a blur of white and Rainbow Dash spun around, getting dizzy. The blur slowed down, making it out to be a white stallion with a black mane. Rainbow Dash shook her head to clear it and noticed a comet mark on his flank. She tilted her head, thinking she knew him from somewhere.

"Thank you so much!" The old pony said loudly as the white stallion handed over a parcel. The stallion smiled brightly and said "My pleasure to deliver it! Comet Deliveries is always early." Suddenly, Rainbow Dash's memory clicked into place as she walked over. His name was Comet and he had recently moved here. "Hey Comet!" She called as he was walking away. He stopped and looked around until he saw Rainbow Dash and grinned. "Hey, if it isn't the mare who naps on clouds." He replied in a friendly tone. Rainbow Dash beamed at him and said "Bet'cha you can't do it."

Comet laughed at that and a nice little conversation ensued. Comet told her all about how much he liked Ponyville better than Fillydelphia, about his apartment, his new courier business, everything. Rainbow replied about her job wrangling clouds and, most importantly, the Daybreak Dash. She was evidently unable to contain her excitement, since she rambled on for twenty minutes about everything she was thinking about. She mentioned the Wonderbolts at least four times. Comet merely just stood there, grinning and agreeing for the entire time.

"Yeah, so I'm gonna compete in the entry race cuz, you know, I'm the fastest pony around." Rainbow Dash bragged, but she realized how arrogant she sounded after it was said. She grinned nervously at Comet who seemed to not notice. "Well, that sounds pretty neat." He said with a smile "You know, I just finished my deliveries for the morning. You want to grab a bite to eat?"

"Sure!" She said in her enthusiastic tone before her mind mentally slapped her. "Oh, um, actually I'm supposed to meet my friend Twilight!" Comet nodded and said "Oh, that purple unicorn?" Rainbow Dash gave him a smile and said "Yeah, you met her?"

"Well, I have a small bruise from where she smacked me with one of her books, but she seemed nice." Comet said. Rainbow gave a chuckle and said "That sounds like her. Well, I've got to go, but raincheck on that lunch?" Comet nodded and they said their goodbyes and left. Rainbow Dash happily trotted off towards the library as Comet leisurely strolled away towards a café on the other side of town where he lived.

It took Rainbow Dash just six minutes to reach the library walking, but she savored every one of them. She had commonly called Twilight an Egg Head for reading so much, and Twilight had gotten her back by getting her to read and like it. Evidently she was going to show off to her teacher, Princess Celestia, and use Rainbow Dash to prove her point. Still, she was one of Twilight's best friends, so she could tolerate it. When she opened the door, Princess Celestia wasn't there, but Twilight was reading a large book that looked really old. She looked up and smiled at Rainbow Dash, and Rainbow Dash braced herself for the lecture that was sure to come.

----------------------------------------

Five hundred years... five hundred long years. The entity in the cave swirled about, reflecting on how long it had been. The search was frustrating, since those responsible were found, but had been dead for the same amount of time. It didn't matter much though. Their descendents would pay instead. They would feel the terror, the pain and the eventual sweet release of death. Nothing could stop it, not after it had been festering for all those years. Things like it only got stronger in time. There was no denying it the prize it saught, not even Princess Celestia would.

A drop of water broke the calm of the pool the eye rested in, causing it to become distorted. It shrieked loudly, scaring the bats hanging on the ceiling. They flew around in utter chaos before leaving. The eye watched with mild interest as the bats eventually left, leaving the cave and pool in the eerie silence it so relished. Soon, it would have its revenge. If it wasn't on Hypersonic or Clydesdale, it would be on their descendants. It was getting closer to finding them. The pull of their bloodlines was getting stronger as it neared a town. It was a new town, one that wasn't there five hundred years ago. It could barely make out the name on the sign.

Ponyville.

---------------------------------------------

Comet settled into his couch now that it was here from Fillydelphia along with the rest of his furniture. With all of it here, the room had more of a studio feel to it with his bedroom over in the corner and his living room near his kitchen. He was expecting Caramel, Goldengrape and someone else named Big Macintosh to come over for some drinks and food to help break in his new home, so he busied himself pulling out some cider he had recently acquired as well as some beer he had gotten back in Fillydelphia. It was rare for this to ever be on sale since it required the use of wheat, barley and hops to make, food that was already in high demand. At least it was in the city.

About two hours later, the four stallions sat around laughing and enjoying the drinks as well as the food Comet had ordered. It was uncomfortable at first getting to know Big Mac as he preferred to be known, but a couple of drinks went by and now they were all friends. Oddly enough, the conversation had taken a typical stallion turn, focusing on the mares in Ponyville.

"Nah, no way Fluttershy is cuter than Bon Bon." Goldengrape said to Caramel "Bon Bon has a nicer rump." Caramel rolled his eyes and said "Well at least I know Berry Punch is cuter than Sea Swirl." Comet and Big Mac gave a chuckle as the two other stallions gave each other competitive looks. "Fine." Goldengrape said in an annoyed voice "Why don't you two tell us who's cuter?" Comet looked over to Big Mac and said "You first."

Big Mac gave a sigh and remained silent, taking a swig of Comet's beer. Caramel sighed as well and said "Okay, we all say it at the same time. Alright? One, two, three."

"Applejack." Caramel said.

"Amethyst Star." Goldengrape said.

"Cheerilee." Big Mac rumbled.

"Rainbow Dash." Comet said.

All four of them looked at each other and began to laugh. Finally, for the first time in months, Comet felt like he had found some good friends.