• Published 26th Oct 2012
  • 1,086 Views, 2 Comments

Captain Equestria: The First Avenger - Plumage



Applebloom is just a filly from Ponyville. She could never be a superhero...right?

  • ...
7
 2
 1,086

Three: Change's Eve

"Hello, Applebloom."
Professor Sparkle trotted into Applebloom's shared dormitory room.
"I have something important to tell you."
Applebloom looked up.
"You've been chosen as the first soldier."
"The-?"
"The first supersoldier, Applebloom. You are the first."
Applebloom gasped. She'd been chosen as the soldier! She was the elite!
"I hope you accept...?"
"Oh- oh yeah, definitely! Thank y'all, professor Sparkle!"
"Good. I am hoping to see you first thing tomorrow morning. That is when the experiment will be held. Don't be late; don't drink any fluids tonight; don't do anything stupid; don't get yourself killed." Sparkle smiled. "I hope you forgive me, Applebloom. I am under the pressure of a scientist. There is a threat of this invention being stolen. I just hope Hooftler doesn't find out we are doing the experiment tomorrow."

*

Applebloom could not sleep. Of course she couldn't. By tomorrow she would be a different mare. She might not even be herself anymore. She thought about what the change would feel like. Would it hurt? What would it do? Give her wings? A horn? She imagined spreading powerful wings out and flapping them; banking to either side to avoid clouds as she soared through the air. She imagined the power coursing through her as she prepared to use her new unicorn magic. It blossomed out of her horn and made fireworks. The ponies around her gasped in awe. She wouldn't mind that.
Instead she was stuck unknowing what in the world would happen to her tomorrow. It was probably midnight already. She was supposed to be getting some sleep. She rolled over and tried again to drift into unconsciousness.

*

The first thing Applebloom noticed is that she woke up. She WOKE up. So she must have got to sleep after all. The second thing she realised was that it was experiment day today.
Experiment day.
By the end of the day she may be somepony else entirely.

*

"This way," said the expectant colt, pushing her into a wide room with viewing points above a main room with a big chair in the middle. That's where I'm gonna sit, thought Applebloom, terrified.
"Hello, Applebloom! Welcome to my humble abode! Please sit down," Professor Sparkle said, indicating the big seat in the middle of the room.
Applebloom sat down carefully.
"Let's get right on to it, ponies!" called Professor Sparkle.
Somepony belted Applebloom down to the chair. "Sorry," apologized Professor Sparkle, "but we don't know what effect the serum will have on you."
A few moments, then a stabbing pain in Applebloom's left arm. It went away as quickly as it came.
"T-that wasn't all bad," Applebloom stuttered.
"That was Ponycillin," said Professor Sparkle impatiently.
"Begin process!" yelled Sparkle.
"Inject serum samples!"
More stabbing pains in Applebloom's body.
"Close the doors!"
The sides of the seat came up around Applebloom. Wait! She wanted to scream, I'm here!
The sides of the seat locked in around Applebloom.
"Ten percent power level."
"Twenty percent power level.
"Thirty percent power level.
"Forty percent power level.
"Fifty percent power level.
"Sixty percent power level-"
The screaming began. Yells of pain.
"Stop!" yelled Sparkle. "Turn everything off!"
"You heard him!" the colt bellowed.
"NO!"
It was a painful screech. It came from the supersoldier tank.
"KEEP IT ON! I CAN DO IT!" came a second screech.
Sparkle looked at the tank for a long moment, then said, "Lever Swing!! Continue!"
"Yes, Professor!
"Sixty percent power level.
"Seventy percent power level.
"Eighty percent power level.
"Ninety percent power level.
"One hundred percent!! Professor, we are at maximum capacity!"
"Shut it off at the required time," said Sparkle.
"Ten.
"Nine.
"Eight.
"Seven.
"Six.
"Five.
"Four.
"Three!
"Two!
"One!
"Professor, I'm shutting off the tank now!"
The room powered down.
The tank opened.