• Published 20th Oct 2012
  • 734 Views, 2 Comments

Dreaming of Nobody - TopperHat



dreams of old friends are brought back to light

  • ...
0
 2
 734

Dreaming of Nobody

Dreaming of Nobody


Dreams, are perhaps more than they seem. They connect those who are gone, and those who are not. Lost, or forgotten, they still find their way back to us. But, is it real, or not? How can we trust them, when we trick ourselves. Is it real, or isn't it?

My dreams are but scattered memories... and my memories are but scattered dreams.... For all the while that I drift here, I only wish to line the pieces up, yours and mine. I only wish for us to meet, for the first time, and forevermore be aligned...

***

" ...More than just a dream? " Twilight Sparkle thought whilst she sat in her small hole in the royal library. This was a place of sanctuary for the young unicorn; a place where the gifted unicorns could come to study. But this wasn't just a hole between bookshelves for just anypony, this was hers, Twilight's hole. This was almost a second home for the young unicorn to puzzle herself with newly discovered magics that, from beforehoof, were unknown to her.

She just couldn't belive the princess would choose her to be her personal student! And as her protege, Twilight had access to the largest expanse of knowledge known to pony kind! And she intended to take advantage of it. All of it. By tome, by volume, by paragraph, by sentence! All of equestrian knowledge was gifted to her through the written texts of scholars of old. From Starswirl The Bearded to Celestia herself.

First things first, the study of magic, naturally. And next, everything else. Though, she soon found herself fascinated with one non-magical book in particularly. An older tome by... well the name was scuffed out by time, but she'd find out later. Perhaps the princess knew? Anyway, the title was, " Dream Island ". It was, puzzling, to say the least. The thought process of the pony whom wrote it must have been maddening. Dreams were dreams after all. The way this tome described them, was like home.

" As all ponys dreamt, we thought nothing of it. " Ha, Twilight mentally chuckled as she continued to read. " A dream is a dream, is a dream. But-but what if... yawnh... what if... " The late hour had finally gotten to the young unicorn. Too tired to read another letter, it was time for sleep, and pudding, I-I mean dreams...

***

Twilight Sparkle now found herself on a thin strip of land. The blinding rays of the midday sun burned her eyes, as they were not adjusted to its harsh, bright light. When Twilight regained her sight she determined that she was on a beach, most likely. A soft ocean churned around as if nothing really mattered; as if no one really cared. There are no seguls to disturb the melody of the winds here, soft and somber as it is. There are no creeping crabs on the sand of this beach, to pinch a sun bather whom happened to be lying about. The palms, so high and so thick, that they make their own small forest. The grasses are green on both sides; ever so sweet. Everything is perfectly calm on this island, " But where am I? " The young filly thought, " I remember going to sleep, so, am I dreaming? A lucid dream maybe? I, I remember reading about these but... "

" A dream, sure, lucid, not so much. "

Twilight Sparkle was not alone on this island. Someone was here too, on an island, and I'm dreaming, so why is this so scary?! Am I having a nightmare instead?! Oh Celestia, oh Celestia ( Twilight immediately commenced freak-out mode )! " W-What? " she asked, fearing the answer.

"Well, " the sultry voice said from behind Twilight's ear, " who said this was your dream, hm? Are you so self-centered? "

Twilight spun around very quickly. No one. " Wha-what do you mean not m-my dream? " not entirely sure who she was speaking with, if at all. This was just too weird.

That voice came back yet again. It was female, but a bit gruff. " What if it's mine? "

"Ahh!! " she screamed at the sound of another coming from behind her yet again. " Who- " But this time, there was someone there, somepony was there when Twilight turned. She was a unicorn, and seemed to be much older than Twilight was now, seventeen or so. Well, she doesn't look scary at least, so this might not be a nightmare, Twilight thought. Her coat was blank white, her mane only a few shades darker with light black tips, and her eyes were a deep blue and hazy. Her cutie mark, though, was lost to Twilight's eyes for her to complete her analysis. Must. complete.

The new mare stared at Twilight queerly with an eyebrow raised high, " Why are you staring at my butt? " laughed the mare.

Twilight imedeatly shifted her gaze, " I was not! I-I was just, looking for your cutie mark, is all... " her face flushed with embarrassment.

" Well why didn't ya just ask? " she turned her flank for Twilight to behold, a cloud of sparkling dust on a dark blue night sky. " See, pretty sweet huh? " the mare boasted with a wry smile.

" Yeah ,thanks. " And now that her previous embarrassment had subsided, " Oh, but one more thing? "

" Shoot. "

" Who in Celestia's name are you! And what do you mean not my dream? What are you doing here!? I would know whether or not it were my dream or not, and furthermore- " she said matter-of-factually rambling along.

" Or is it? Is my answer. " the mare raised her brows slightly.

" Yes, it is. " Super deadpan. " And you still haven't answered my first question. " This mare was getting on Twilight's nerves, and quickly.

" Can you repeat the question? "

" Name?! " Nerves.

" Oh, okay. I, little filly, am Nightfall. And you are? "

Oh. Right, it's customary to reciprocate names in these social greeting things. She sighed, " My name is Twilight, Twilight Sparkle. "

The other pony gasped dramatically, like a three year old that just heard Santa Hooves curse, " Are you a secret agent or something!? "

What. " What? " No seriously, what?

" Well you just sounded like a secret agent or spy there, ' My name is Twilight, Twilight Sparkle, and I'm with the FPI '. " Nightfall said as she took off some dark shades that weren't there before and giggled.

" No seriously, just-just what? " Twilight said in her best deadpan expression.

" As for why I'm here, " she continued unabated, " well, I'm always here. That's ma house, " And she motioned towards, well, everything, plus what looked like a tree house on the ground. No other way to describe it. " The real question is, " and she bopped Twilight on the nose, " why are you here, huh? Come to spy on me? "

Wait, " But this is my dream, you can't live here. And I'm not a secret agent, so stop poking me! " Twilight slapped the hoof away from her chest. " I am not here to spy on you. "

" Well, agent Sparkle, " the white mare grinned, " what if it were OUR dream? "

All that was before began to turn to mist. And now, it Fades to black...

" Twilight dear, " Celestia nudged the sleepy filly once more, " Twilight, it's time for bed. Bed meaning to sleep in one. " It was just like Twilight to fall asleep in a library, book in hoof.

" N-Nightfall.. wha-? " it only took a fifth poke until Twilight conceded and awoke groggily. Note to self, library floors are NOT comfortable. And now I'm just starring at Celestia, like an idiot.

" Here, my student, you seem to be exhausted, let me get that for you. " Celestia said while levitating the book away from the young unicorns loose grip to place it back on the shelf.

" Come now, off to bed. " Celestia whispered to the sleepy filly before putting her on her back, and trotting out of the library. The tome, placed back on the shelf shimmered slightly. Celestia only just missed the slight chuckle from behind the door as it crept... shut.

***

It was but a short trot back to Twilight's chambers. Just down the hall from the library in fact. Twilight requested the arrangement herself in order to be, closer to the knowledge, as she put it. The room itself wasn't really all that extravagant in any case. It too, had a large bookshelf that was bursting with volumes, texts and tomes. A large, for her size, bed was also supplied, along with a nightstand that held an open drawer with her 2 month old baby dragon inside. She decided to name him spikey, for the large scales that jutted strait up from the top of his head. He was so tiny and cute! He was so tiny, in fact, that the one drawer, accounted for an entire bedroom in comparison.

Twilight herself was being levitated into bed for a good nights rest by her mentor, Celestia. " Now remember my young pupil, there is a time for learning, and there is a time for bed. Please, learn this lesson quickly, and rest your sleepy head. "

Twilight was slowly being tucked in, still half asleep and drifting. " O-okay, princess... good night. " Now she was far gone, back to dreamland.

" And good night to you. " Celestia said " And you... " she whispered to the dully shining moon. She only received a dull shimmer as a cold response. One that said " Just leave me alone ".

***

The next morning, Twilight awoke normally, without the use of a goddesses prodding hoof. There were also no disturbances by that Nightfall character either. Where she had sprung from was beyond her. The encounter was strange, much stranger than it had right to be. " Why can't I stop thinking about her though? " Twilight muttered to herself.

This is crazy, she concluded. " A dream is a dream, "

" Is a dream. "

Oh buck. Twilight turned quickly this time to see... a mirror. " Great, just great! I'm crazy. " She began to walk twoards the vanity to style her mane. " I mean, I must be. Nightfall-Nightfall isn't real. " When Twilight looked up to watch her mane take shape, she noticed a mare in the mirror... behind her!

" who isn't real, Twilight? " Princess Celestia asked, as she chose that moment to enter, completely unbeknownst to Twilight Sparkle, whom







was currently searching the room, left, left, right, right, up, down, up, down, back, ahead and starting at Celestia with a paranoid gaze.

" Oh, Princess, i-it's nothing, nothing at all, hehe, nope. Nada, nothin' ta say. I just woke up, so nothings happened... yet... " Way to play it cool. It totally doesn't look like I'm having a nervous breakdown, nnnope.

" Hmm, well, " She must still be tired, " are you ready for today's test on earthbound pony magics? " Celaestia asked.

I have a test on magic today, Twilight thought, and I fell asleep while cramming the night before on dream theory...horse-feathers.