• Published 12th Mar 2024
  • 109 Views, 0 Comments

Lives Throughout Equestria - OllerusTheFailure



Life in Equestria continued peacefully after the defeat of the Legion of Doom. What of the ponies and other creatures?

  • ...
 0
 109

2. Steamy Scent of Bouquet

Whinnyapolis—the City of Lakes and one of the littlest cities in Equestria. It offered a wonderful chance to explore local and regional parks, trails for roller skaters, institutions of art, and, yes, lakes. Additionally, a fifty-five-mile parkway was created for recreational leisure and social engagement. And a nature sanctuary, recently built and inspired by an ambitious animal-loving mare from Ponyville. The small city was bisected by a large flowing river, and various bridges provided transportation options for ponies to cross, whether by carriage or on hoof. Ponies had a blast like the day prior, their hooves crunching on the snow-covered ground as they celebrated the annual winter festival.

But not this earth pony.

“Ha…” An exhausted middle-aged mare with an ivory beige coat and triple-shaded mane of yellow let out a tired sigh. She wore a dark brown trapper hat and a dark brown bomber jacket. Even though she was ready to brave the chilly atmosphere, she opted to stay indoors, where the temperature was comfortable. However, the biting weather was not the determining factor behind her decision. “Fwoo… Fwoo…”

The air inside was saturated with a delightful, earthy aroma. Pendant lights adorned the ceiling, casting a gentle, cozy glow throughout the space. While the middle-aged mare blew away at the black, steaming liquid in her cup, another earth pony mare neared the bistro table where the customer alone sat. “Enjoyin’ your roasted coffee beans, hey Gustysnows?”

“You betcha,” March Gustysnows replied, wincing as she tried to swallow another searing quaff forcefully. “Uff da! Worth it.”

The cafe employee's expression contorted with aversion. “I can’t believe you can savor that with no sugar…”

With an audible clink, Gusty put down the porcelain cup. “Of course, Nutmeg Lotus. I'd rather receive any of the potential health benefits, don’tcha know? Helps elevate the mood’ n’ such.” Gustysnows' love for caffeinated beverages was unmistakable, not only from the cutie mark on her flank but also from her frequent visits to this very establishment.

“If you say so.”

Since there were no other customers, Nutmeg took a nearby chair and lounged across from the lone customer. Sitting near the entrance, they admired the view of the snow-dusted city through the fixed window. The broad pane was there to entice passersby with a peek at the interior, but today, the scene presented as a cloudy grey sky, towering buildings, a snowy, desolate street, a bridge, and a wide, calm river. Across that river was a local park surrounded by trees. Even from the cafe, they caught glimpses of vibrant festival stands peeking out from the thicket.

“Times flying by. How much longer are you planning to be the Whinnyapolis delegate?” Nutmeg Lotus asked. Gustysnows had been the delegate for Whinnyapolis for well over twenty years. As a young mare herself, she could not help but question the extent of Gusty's spirit. Was she ready to throw in the towel? Unsure of the answer? Or prepared to carry on? Nutmeg thought the question was impolite, as it implied Gusty was getting older.

“Fwoo… Not until I see an old pal of mine again, I ‘spose. Fwoo…”

Nutmeg knew Gusty for as long as she worked here for two years. She did not know of Gusty's life, and curiosity bubbled inside her as she wondered who this mysterious friend could be.

“Are you not goin’ to join them?” Nutmeg Lotus asked, staring out the window. This is Whinnyapolis—City of Lakes and Nature. Various fun activities were happening around the city for the winter festival, but the city delegate did not participate. Gusty just sat there alone, not socializing with the laughing ponies of Whinnyapolis. Not that she had much room to criticize. Nutmeg worked today because she felt this regular customer would stop by at some point, no matter the day and time.

Then, at last, the steam stopped rising from the black coffee cup. “Yeah no. I’m just goin’ to enjoy myself right here...” Gustysnows guzzled down the bitter liquid and finished her drink. With a clink and a stained brown splotch on her muzzle, she smiled. “Think I can have another?”

The employee released a quiet breath through her nose. “Okey-dokey.” Then retreated to the coffee shop counter, passing by a coffee table nestled between two dark brown Chesterfield couches facing each other and the remaining bistro tables. One can hope that in due time, she will come around to grasping the mindset of Gustysnows.

Don’t get her wrong. Mingling with other ponies did not intimidate March Gustysnows in the slightest. She deeply loved the city she called home and had a strong fondness for coffee. While she might eventually partake in the winter festival, her current priority was to sit back, relax, and enjoy a hot cup of joe while taking in the view of her favorite spot in all of Equestria. Although she could not see their smiles or hear their laughter, she sensed that they were present—and for her, that was plenty.

Truly, it was just another day at Whinnyapolis Cafe Neigh.