• Published 3rd Apr 2024
  • 97 Views, 0 Comments

The Red Eye - HornetElder



A venture into the insanity of one individual who isn't all that they seem.

  • ...
 0
 97

The Death

I hated the mornings, but it was something I had to endure. I slept poorly last night with little rest, my mind was quiet, but my body ached and refused to languish. I shut my eyes and only saw darkness, faint memories shifted through but only briefly. I had recently learnt of the death of my mother, though when I received the telegraph, I only just then remembered I had one, but my memories of her felt so familiar yet so distant. The telegraph only read "MOTHER JEAN MYSIL PASSED AWAY, FUNERAL TOMORROW, DEEP SYMPATHY." It had my last name, might as well be true though I felt nothing when reading the line of text presented before me, as if I was really just staring at ink on a thin line of paper. After staring at the slip for a few hours, my attention was diverted by the loud dinging my clock.

I shoved it into my satchel and made my way outside my apartment. The day was as per usual, sunny with little clouds, the sun beaming down onto the buildings of Manehatten, though every time I left my apartment my eyes squinted with a recoil, it felt odd, though everyone else frolicked on happy and content, the usual product of Harmony, I guess. I used to phone booth to call my boss regarding my mother's death, requesting a few days off for the funeral. Under the circumstances he obviously couldn't refused though he sounded annoyed, even with his agitation clear I could only respond: "Apologies sir, it's not my fault, you know." His silence told me more than I could ask, before the call promptly ending. I felt indifferent having to miss work, but I couldn't do much about it.

My memory failed me again that morning, I failed to remember where my mother lived, I visited the local police outpost to ask for the whereabouts of my mother. The attendant at the counter gave me a peculiar before promptly speaking: "What is the reason for you looking into this resident, dear?" Even with my poor memory, I managed to hold onto the reason. "She is my mother, ma'am, I was told she passed away." The attendants' eyes continued to scan me over, my emotion didn't appear as a grieving son if I could even portray it. "I'm sorry for your loss sir, I'll get the address for you." I watched the attendant promptly get up and go behind the shelving out of my sight. It felt like an eternity waiting, I could hear the muttering from behind the wall, I didn't figure they were discussing me or if they couldn't find the name, maybe I don't have a mother, maybe the telegraph was sent to the wrong person, I don't know.

The attendant eventually returned, carrying a pink slip with some writing on it. "Here is the address for Jean Mysil, sir." I took the slip, reading it over. The text was written in a fancy cursive with curly checks marking boxes, with the sun stamped on the back. That sun, it didn't sit well with something inside me, I stared at it for a bit, my eyes squinting as I looked it over. The attendant interrupted my trance briefly. "Sir?" I quickly looked up, blinking a bit before looking at her. "Is this correct?" I lowered the slip, pocketing it briefly before nodding. "Yes, thank you." The attendant nodded and smiled. "Do you mind leaving your name on our entry form, just for the formality." I looked down at the open folder she pushed forward on the counter, it had various names, dates and times, all in different hand writings, some sloppy some neat and well printed. I saw some names that stood out more than the others they became uncomfortably familiar.

The attendant once caught me from my trance with the same polite harmonic manor. "Sir? Are you okay?" I raised my head, shaking it a bit. "Yes, yes, sorry." I picked up the pen and wrote my name, "Picardy Mysil. Though as I wrote my eyes could not look away from a select few names, Julie Lyt, Mane Tambers, Louise Yuil, and James Mictail. They all felt as if I have seen and heard them many times before though I couldn't think why. The attendant thanked me, giving me a warm smile as she walked out of sight again. I stared at the paper; I didn't think twice about my next actions. I quickly ripped the paper from the folder, folding it up and placing it into my bag, promptly leaving the outpost.

I took out the slip once again, reading the pretty handwritten address. I figured I should get there by nightfall, the address felt as familiar as the names I saw on that paper. With the 2 o'clock bus I might as well spend the night there, spend the usual vigil next to the body and hopefully make it back by the next evening in time for my next shift. It felt too surreal, to me it felt like I never knew this person I am going to go mourn for. At least the funeral should put an official seal on it, so to speak, seeing as how unphased I became of the news, I feel as if it'll just be another day. I eventually made it to the bus station, it was a mild evening, not too hot but the sun was intense. I took the 2 o'clock bus down 34th Clawsville St., had lunch a local cafe where I usually eat as it's on the same route I take to work. Everyone was very kind to me, oddly enough. I assume news of my mother's death spread fast though I hadn't fancy myself a socialite.

I hardly know any of those expressing their sympathies but eventually some people I've seen before came into view. I never did like crowds though; After a bit I made an excuse and promptly left the building. Though my excuse had more merit than most, I was running a bit late after all. I managed to catch the bus, though the walk isn't horribly short though the heat would make it unbearable. The sun gleamed through the window, I did not like it, so I sat at the very back out of the sun. The rumbling of the engine, reeking stench of gasoline and the bouncing frame made me drowsy. I tried to sleep through the trip though as per usual I couldn't. I heard about dreaming, people seeing things in their sleep. I don't remember ever having one myself. I am able to sleep well other than recently, peculiarly enough. Every time I close my eyes, I see nothing, just darkness as if my mind doesn't want to dream.

I was promptly awakened by the screeching sound of the bus's brakes, the bus conductor coming through the aisle holding out a bowl of which the passengers were putting money into. I opened my satchel moments before the conductor got to my seat, placing a one-dollar bill into the bowl before getting off. The evening was still settling in with the usual gold summer lighting as the sun began to set, though in Equestria it sets slower than other parts. The address wasn't too far off, I decided to head there on foot. A slim yet tall apartment like retirement building sandwiched in-between two other residences, I entered the bottom floor and entered the registrar, being greeted by the doorkeeper and told to wait for the landlord, as if they were expecting me already. I insisted I see them now however the doorkeeper persisted, implying the landlord was unavailable. I eventually conceded as easy as it was, sitting down in a small living area near the registrar counter. I waited for an hour, though the lack of thought at the moment made the waiting feel longer, as if I could only count the seconds as they went by.

I heard the turning of locks, the wooden door being pushed open revealing a tall grizzled alicorn. I assume he's a veteran, wearing a much older military uniform with a few colorful ribbons lining his left breast pocket. He approached me, despite his appearance I did not feel much intimidated, just anxious to get it over with. I stood up, having to raise my head a bit to face him fully as he lowered his. "Picardy Mysil, yes?" I just nodded, not really in much of a mood for conversation. He cleared his throat, "I knew your mother for three years since she started living here, it is a shame to see her pass." I continued to nod and stare, not having much to say if not at all. The landlord went on talking though I didn't pay much attention, he eventually settled down with his monologue and gave a low sigh. "Now then, I suppose you would like to see your mother?" I did not reply, following the grizzled alicorn to the door.

"We moved your mother to our Morturary just back here, mostly out of the need to not upset the other residents, you understand. Many do not take death lightly." We crossed through some hallways, passing by some of the elderly residents. It was quiet at first though I began to hear their soft chittering behind my back as I followed along. Their voices reminded me of bird song, though not as delightful. The landlord stopped at two large wooden doors near a small building just beyond the courtyard, he turned to me and said, "Well my friend, if you need anything you can find me in my office. The funeral will be held tomorrow as your mother had wanted, the usual friends and family and been invited of course. I will leave you be now." The alicorn left, leaving me alone. I stared at the doors, a bit too afraid to open them but then I heard it again, the chittering voices of onlookers, then the sun beginning to gleam through the windows. This only prompted me to open the doors, albeit respectfully and quietly.

I eventually entered mortuary. It was a very large and spacious room, well-kept besides for some dust resting on surfaces. A few pews rested out in a curved pattern near the coffin. The coffin itself was a nice shiny black finish with the reflection of light emitted by some of the oil lamps lit in the room. Two young ponies dressed in nurse garb stood next to the bier the coffin rested upon. Their heads lifted upon hearing me enter, stepping away as they allowed me to approach the coffin. I gently gripped the rim of the lid, pausing for a bit as I noticed something, no sun light. The mortuary was as dark as if it was night. It felt odd, not having to see the sunlight for once, especially in the resting place of who I suppose is my mother. I was just about ready to open the coffin, the nurses leaving the mortuary room without saying a thing. I began lifting the lid the moment I heard the doors shut behind them. I lifted it cautiously, revealing an embalmed well-dressed corpse of an elderly pony, her coat the same as mine, black. Her horn, alike mine, had a dark shade of grey to it. I stared for hours, I guess it really was my mother, though even then, even when seeing her lifeless body, I still felt nothing, I still felt as if I was staring at someone I knew less than a parental figure.

My memories of her are vague, almost nonexistent, it was by now I began to feel an emotion though it could only be described as dread. I reached my hoof out, gently caressing her face. Though the moment my hoof made contact with her body I was blinded by a red flash of light. Images, voices, memories I have at least thought I never had begun racing through my mind at a rapid pace, all covered by a blood red hue as I began to tremble. I saw my arms began to degrade and transform into a chitinous form before I saw my own reflection shift from an average pony to a seemingly otherworldly creature bearing two soulless eyes, dagger teeth and sharp pointy ears. I fell back screaming onto the floor as the lid to the coffin slammed shut. I felt myself, clenching at my chest as all I felt at that moment was dread and fear. I squirmed on the ground before all that I saw went dark at once. I remained on the floor for an hour, no one had come to check on me though I assume no one heard me, at least, I hope. I continued to tremble, gripping onto the brier to pull myself up. I felt embarrassed at that moment, a mixture of fear and anxiety.

I spared no time in leaving the mortuary, in a greater rush than before I continued out of the building. Though the moment I left, being yet again exposed to the summer sun through the windows, I did not run much longer. The halls were much emptier now, it must have been dinner hour. I did not know what I saw, I did not know what I heard or what I was thinking. Maybe all my emotions surfaced at that very moment, I don't know. My head still felt just as empty, my heart continued to race but eventually I settled down, I figured I should now find a place to stay overnight now for the funeral. A keeper found me wandering the halls, eventually taking me to the landlord as I had requested. I put in my request to stay overnight, though was given a smaller room due to the limited space, but I didn't mind. The landlord went on again, remarking on my mother though I wasn't keen on talking about her, not from what just happened. "We will have to bury the body right after the funeral, I don't want the precession to upset the locals." I listened on, still somewhat distraught.

Night had fallen quickly, the landlord took me back to see mother and make preparations for tomorrow, though he noticed my being shaken up, assuming it was just grievance. He suggested I go to the refractory to relax though I wasn't hungry. He left for a bit then returned with some tea. "Thanks." I replied, then a few minutes later he returned with a cigarette case. Though I wasn't keen on smoking, not at least in the presence of the dead. I thought it over eventually, seeing as it doesn't matter anymore, nothing really ever does. I then offered the landlord a cigarette and we both smoked together. It wasn't long until he began talking again. "Friends of your mother will be joining you soon, at least an hour before everyone is supposed to be asleep." I glanced back, giving no verbal reply but a subtle nod. The landlord left again, this time not to come back at least not until the funeral. I sat on one of the pews, staring at the coffin as I tried to recount on what I saw, it felt too weird and absurdly surreal, maybe it was just emotion.

My attention was directed to the screeching sounds of the doors opening, in came a few much older men and women. The men were dressed in their usual formal attire, the women wore black dresses with small white aprons around their chests. None of them looked at me, though I could've sworn I saw some glances. For a moment there, I believed they all came in to judge me. As said, I hadn't known my mother had passed until I received the message, I almost forgot I even had one in the first place though I came to accept it pretty quickly. I'm not sure what I was expected to do, I did not live much of a successful life, not enough to support myself and the wellbeing of the elderly. We all sat in silence for a while, only hearing soft weeps and sobs from multiple directions. Directly a few pews Infront me sat a much younger woman than the rest, dressed in the similar attire, she sobbed most of time, much louder than the other members of the vigil, though they didn't seem to notice nor care, just staring at the coffin or whatever they had in sight. The woman continued to sob, I wanted her to stop, rather surprised though I did not know who she was. I dared not speak out though thankfully a Keeper came and whispered something to her, she eventually settled down.

The keeper came and sat next to me, he was a slim figure, a Zebra with the usual stripe pattern though with a less mohawked hairstyle. "She was in charge of your mothers care since you sent her here. They were friends for a while." His remark caught me off guard, but I still said nothing. I felt however that he was placing blame on me for my mother's death but it could always have just been a poor choice of words. The keeper told some stories of mother and the lady, but I still had nothing to say. After a few quick sobs and nose blows, silence finally returned, the same dull and eerie silence that I have been fondly acquainted with. The silence soon became a little too much, the keeper continued to sit next to me though his head watched around the mortuary, seeing that the back pew has the best view, I guess he didn't just sit here to judge me for something I didn't remember, maybe. I turned my head a bit, whispering a short question. "How long have you been here?" The keeper looked, gave a small smile and responded. "10 years." His answer came so sudden one could think he was expecting such a question.

The vigil went on for another few hours, until the landlord returned and ushered everyone to their rooms. He eventually went to me and instructed me to head to mine and so I did. I followed the crowd to the living quarters, eventually finding my temporary room at the end of a hallway farther away from the more luxurious bedrooms. My room wasn't as appealing, a single bed with a wardrobe, side table and some space for whatever I wished, there being a faded painting resting on the corner of a wall. I noticed it had no window, something I was glad for, I was tired of the sun at least for now. I undressed, placing my clothing folded sloppily into the wardrobe, I'm not in much of a mood for cleanliness. It was then I finally yawned, climbing into bed. It felt dull and cold, but it was at least somewhat comfortable. I was just thankful to have a place to sleep at that point. I slowly closed my eyes, expecting to see the usual darkness and emptiness.

Minutes past and I finally fell asleep. Though only to be awaken by a long droning noise in my head. I found myself not in my room but resting on a cold hard ground covered in charcoal like dust. I stood up to look around, seeing nothing but endless jagged terrain covered in the same material I was resting on. The sky was blood red, dark clouds zooming overhead at fast speeds though there was hardly any wind. The droning sound only got louder and louder. I gripped my head though it did nothing as expected, it felt as if my head was going to explode. I took a few steps forward, attempting to traverse the mysterious landscape. I wore nothing, but it didn't matter under these circumstances. Is this a dream? Is this what they mean by seeing things in your sleep? I approached a cliff resting upon a flatland, looking over I saw symbols, large stick like structures off to the sides of a large white path leading to a seemingly ball of white reddish light. As I encroached on the pathway the symbols began to take shape, resembling tridents, claws, crescents and the sun symbol I see so much. As I walked down the path, one by one the symbols crumbled into the dust that makes up most of the surface. I got closer to the glowing light before soon being right in front of it. I stared at it for a bit, reaching out to feel it before the droning became too much for me to bear.

I eventually woke up with a gasp, still in bed, all I saw was darkness though eventually after groping around I found the switch to the oil lamp, I grasped onto the bed sheets tightly. I refused to sleep the rest of the night, expecting to see such a unnerving sight again if I did. But it didn't matter, I had a dream, and it was horrifying.