• Published 28th Dec 2023
  • 461 Views, 24 Comments

My Love Soared For You Through The Rainbows - Xiojin



Rainbow Dash's heart grew for Soarin unexpectedly without her knowing, his grows too.

  • ...
0
 24
 461

Chapter 3

"Looks like some pony is in loveeeeeeeee," Twilight said as her eyes squint together tightly and she squeaked. "C'mon Rainbow Dash admit it!"

"What!? Me? HAHAHA! Twilight you got to get BETTER at joking!" I laughed at her like there was no way I would be IN LOVE. I flew around the room with the map in it a few times, trying to shake off Twilight's statement about me.

"Now that I think of it, when you were at my farm, your face was glowing when you were talking about him," Applejack giggled and rubbed her chin with her right hoof.

"Hey! My face was always like that when I talk about something I like!" I rebutted and crossed my hooves. "For example, when I was talking about the Wonderbolts last time!"

"Yeah, we know but I could clearly see a difference." Applejack grinned as she sat down on her designated throne. She then motioned her hoof away from her head."Your eyes were gleaming with joy and love when you were talking about him. I know one when I see one."

"So Rainbow...how did you come to like him?" Twilight asked with a big wide smile.

"Oo! Oo! Like who?" A particular high-pitched voice echoed in the room.

"We were talking about Rainbow Dash having a crush on one of her Wonderbolt mates!" Twilight exclaimed excitedly to the other three that just arrived.

"I DO not have a crush on him!" I yelled embarrassed that my friends figured me out even before I figured myself out.

"I Rainbow Dash! Don't do love!" I exclaimed and grumpily looked at the five.

"Yeah right," Applejack remarked and the rest giggled.

"Oh my! who's the lucky pony?" Rarity asked with anticipation.

"It's a guy from the Wonderbolts. Pale blue skin, green eyes, and dark navy hair," Applejack sang Soarin's description out.

"Oh my! It's the guy you danced with at the Canterlot wedding!" Rarity remarked with her eyes gleaming with light. "And the guy who nearly kicked you out of the Wonderbolts..."

"I get it...you guys probably think I'm uncool..." I said with my head hung low as I flew to the ground.

"Oh Rainbow, there's nothing to be ashamed of. It's normal," Fluttershy comforted me with a gentle voice.

"Fluttershy's right, it's normal, even I had one," Twilight said walking beside Fluttershy.

We all looked at her sheepishly. I do remember about Flash Sentry. Geez I wonder what happened. I think she was too busy with her princess duties to remember about him.

"So what happened with YOU and Flash Sentry?" I teased Twilight.

"Oh...nothing I'm way too busy to go on dates with him...or even talk to him...haha..." Twilight replied as her cheeks glowed red.

I celebrated in my head at the correct assumption I made before my thoughts were interrupted by Rarity.

"Does he like you?" Rarity battered her eyes.

I took a deep breath and explained the whole 'curse thing' that he has, including how if I lost a bet I suggested, I have to pay him ten apple pies.If I could be honest, I spoke too soon. Unless...I convinced myself that he is just a friend until he IS just a friend to me. It's too risky to lose my friendship with him. He is so cool! He knows how to keep promises and is a very diligent pony! What's more, is that he is so...ah never mind what am I saying. Focus Dash! Don't get into this sappy stuff!


Soarin POV

Today I am out with my teammates, we are grabbing lunch at a famous Canterlot cafe before going around Canterlot to shop. The dessert and drinks placed in front of my table looked so good, that I was dazed for a few seconds before snapping back into reality.

"So Soarin... yesterday I was flying across sweet Apple Acres..." Fleetfoot started off the conversation. She then had a wide smile plastered on her face. "I saw you with Dash...wondering if you guys made any progress?"

"Not this again...look Dashie—" Before I even continue Surprise, Fleetfoot, Fire Streak, and High Winds were all going "Oooooo".

"—Dash and I are just friends. I love to teach her because she's willing to learn anything that I teach, unlike my past students."

"Yeah right bro, you're smiling from ear to ear talking about her," Fire Streak teased me.

My cheeks felt warm and he noticed that before I even realized it. The whole group giggled at Fire Streak's comments.

"So you want us to give you a nudge?" High Winds said with her brows wiggling.

I rolled my eyes and drank my drink. When did she learn how to do them from Surprise? We were sitting outside and the breeze gently grazed my hair. The weather is nice today, not too hot or windy. I watch ponies walk and chat with each other. As I watched, I spotted a crazed mare in the streets running. She had blue skin and her rainbow mane was blowing against the breeze. She was running in a dress that seemed like she didn't wear it properly as a white unicorn with purple curls chased after her. Wait isn't that Dashie!? I immediately smooshed my face against the window of the cafe. I noticed I was staring for too long and quickly snapped my head back and faced my friends. She looked gorgeous! Gosh, what am I even saying...all those shipping of Dashie and I has really got me into thinking I do like her. She's just an excellent friend. The following day I got called into Spitfire's office. I knocked before I entered and said, "You called me here?"

"Yes, I've been meaning to ask, since you have trained Rainbow Dash for a while now. As you know I'm always busy and have had to train her for the past six months. I'm wondering if you would like to be her teacher now." Spitfire said as she continued to review the documents.

"She's a great student! I would love to mentor her until the exam at the end of the year!" I jumped out of excitement.

"Perfect! I will post the new mentor-student list later!" Spitfire said clapping her hooves in satisfaction.

I walked out of the office, as I skipped my way to the mess hall. I'm finally mentoring some pony normal!


No one's POV

"Hey, Dash! I'm so excited!! I can't wait to see who I'm going to mentor next!" Surprise said as she munched down on her hayburger.

"Me too! I hope Soarin is my mentor! I love his teachings!" Rainbow Dash said with excitement in her voice before softly saying, "More than Spitfire. Don't tell her I said that!"

"You know Soarin always praises about you to us!" Fleetfoot remarked.

"Really? That's awesome! What did he say?" Rainbow Dash looked at them with anticipation. What good things has her mentor said about her? She has to know! Is she good? does she have a chance to get into Team A?

"He said how he has been waiting for a student like you to finally show up!" Fire Streak said.

"And he said it all with a smile on his face," Surprise said and her brows started to wiggle.

"Good morning every pony," Soarin greeted and found every pony had left an empty seat beside Rainbow Dash for him.

Soarin quickly realized what the situation was and rolled his eyes and put down his tray. He munched down on his breakfast while listening to the conversation happening across this table of six.

"Hey Dash, by the end of the year if you get into Team A I will give you a surprise!" Surprise said with a big smile.

"Awesome! I will make sure I get into A!" Rainbow Dash said with excitement.

The bell started to ring and all the Wonderbolts started going to the announcement board. Who's their new mentor? Who's their new student? Every pony was dying to know. All of them gathered around the board, either rejoicing or moaning about being put with the worst mentor or student that they heard from one another.

"Awesome! Soarin is my mentor!" Rainbow Dash did an aerial flip when she read the board.

Soarin waited for Rainbow Dash at the doorway and they made their way to the training grounds. Soarin briefed her like how he always did when he had students of his own. As of current, the schedule is that team C will train with A and B until 2 pm. After that Team C will attend practice as a whole together under one of the Wonderbolts instructors. Teams A and B will practice together with Spitfire for upcoming shows.


"Hahaha! That's sooo cool! I'm Rainbow Dash! What's your name?"

"I'm Astatine Worn!"

It was the end of class and Rainbow Dash had made a new friend from the practice. At first, she thought she would be stuck with a bunch of slow pokes. But after the lesson even though Astatine isn't as fast or agile as her. She enjoyed the bond they made. They were both Daring Do fans! Her favorite part of the day was to finally head to bed.

The following day, Rainbow Dash worked on her agility again as requested by Soarin. Even though she boasted about how awesome she is or how good she is. It was all talk and no show. Up until Soarin put her to the test. Her confidence started to dwindle a little... actually a lot.

If she ever thought she was the best of the best out of the team. She will be constantly reminded by Soarin that it's a team effort and not a solo act. By code of the Wonderbolt rule book: being in a Wonderbolt is a team effort and not a solo effort unless it is their signature move. He always reiterates that whenever Rainbow Dash shows a routine she made during her free time. In the end, he always put her down somehow and some way unintentionally.

"Soarin! I would like to know why one of my best flyers is flying like a deflated balloon!?" Spitfire demanded after observing Rainbow Dash's behavior for the past few days.

"I don't understand why she's flying like that too. I will talk with her later in the evening after practice is over. She should be back in shape tomorrow," Soarin replied with uncertainty and gave an awkward smile.

Soarin went on with his day, his mind occupied with Rainbow Dash. He was wondering where it all went wrong. Was his advice terrible? Was Rainbow Dash disappointed in him? Did Rainbow Dash hear about THAT incident that she dislikes him and produces low performance just to get rid of him as her mentor!? His head hung low until he saw a particular Rainbow mane walking past him right after dinner. Her face looked like she was constantly thinking about something. She was brief walking. Her eyes were not the usual big round bright eyes but tired eyes that were half-closed.

"Rainbow Dash! Can I talk to you in the field for a second?" Soarin called out.

This must be the end of my career... was what Rainbow Dash thought. Rainbow Dash nodded and followed closely behind Soarin. She anticipated the horrendous news as her head repeated those dreadful words.

"Let me guess, my skills aren't good enough that you guys think I should be kicked out of the Wonderbolts..." Rainbow Dash sluggishly said her hung low as ever.

"No! No! I'm here to ask what's been bothering you these days. Your performance these days is not up to standard. You can tell me anything! I will try my hardest to give you solutions," Soarin said earnestly as he put one of his hooves on his chest.

"Really anything?" Rainbow Dash asked to be sure. Soarin nodded with a slight smile. Rainbow Dash breathed in and rambled, "It's just that you keep debunking my cool moves and showing even better ones. It's like you're always outdoing me for...I can't believe I'm saying this but for your sense of pride. You know every day I did my best to improve and meet your expectations but not once did I feel encouraged but discouraged and not good enough. That's what has been bothering me."

"I'm sorry Dashie. I didn't mean to one-up you. I just know you have a lot of potential to be the greatest flyer. If I were to be honest your ego sometimes gets in the way of our teamwork and we need to tame that for the sake of how the Wonderbolts work. I initially thought you like challenges a lot so by doing better than you, I thought you might feel more encouraged to beat me in a way to push your limits," Soarin apologized with a sorrowful expression.

"OHHHH, I see. Yeah, I can see why you thought of that...haha...I am competitively by nature yea..." Rainbow Dash awkwardly laughed.

"If it makes you feel better I can pay for your meal the next time we go out?" Soarin said with a smile. He hoped that this would make Rainbow Dash feel better. Who would deny free food?

"Awesome! I'm going to a Daring Do convention this weekend! Do you want to come along with me?" Rainbow Dash jumped out of excitement. She looked at Soarin and gave a cheerful smile.

Soarin agreed. He never told anyone before but he's secretly a Daring Do fan. A BIG FAN!