• Published 17th Nov 2023
  • 542 Views, 5 Comments

Team Superstars: Winds of Change - Lulamoon-Crystal



Who knows that finding a filly on a beach can be the start of your journey? A stylist of Maretine Bay sure was not aware

  • ...
1
 5
 542

Pega-suspicions

Author's Note:

CW:
A character is harassed for having a disability near the start and has a panic attack at the end.

The views of the characters do not reflect the author’s. Stripes is a big, nasty jerk

Early that morning. Jazz was walking through town. Dancing slightly to some music she was listening to. Playing in her phone, she was humming slightly as she walked along the street. Ponies were walking around too, minding their own business. She had had plenty of time before she had to go to work at the salon. So she went to the railings over the cliff and rested herself against it as she stood on her hind legs. Forelegs dangling over.

She watched as Zipp flew across the sky. It appeared she was looking for something. As she landed on a roof and looked into the distance. Maybe none of her business. But she did notice when she flew back over her, she had a look on her face that she was finding something suspicious. Was she solving a mystery?

Zipp flew away, and Jazz went back to admiring the view.

“Ah… Refreshing…” She smelt the fresh air and took a moment to appreciate it. Out in the distance she spotted a boat. She wondered what they were doing. She loved the bay, it was so calm and wasn’t too hot or cold. Well, sometimes it was, but rarely to a point she was really bothered. “What a nice view…”

The peace didn’t last long, however. She looked nearby, puzzled as she heard some heavy hoof steps. She turned her head to investigate. Much her shock, she gasped as she saw who had made the noise. A buff orange unicorn mare of some sort. Looked like she went to the gym regularly, her height also made her look a bit more muscular, too. Not being far from the same height as Alphabittle.

“Well, well, well, if it isn’t a weakling.”

“Hello?” She questioned. A little annoyed at the rude tone the mare spoke in. “I don't really appreciate being called a weakling by the way. Just because you are all tall and muscular does not give you the rights.”

”My apologies, Tiny.” The mare smirked. Eyeing Jazz’s head. “I’m sorry. But I cannot speak. Because you can’t hear my plan very well, can you?” She asked, her faint red stripes all over her body. Making her look like a sunburned zebra, if Jazz was honest. But she knew better than to judge someone from their appearance. “Stripe’s the name.”

“Huh? What?” Jazz cocked her head. Wondering what this pony was talking about. “What plan? Who are you, anyway?”

“Isn’t it clear?” Stripes asked. “Oh wait, you’re too dumb to notice.”

Jazz’s expression didn’t change at all. “Well, that isn’t very polite I think. Is something bothering you? You haven’t made a very good first expression. Haven’t you?”

“I think punishing everyone is a very good first impression” She flexed a muscle. Obvious she goes to the gym a lot “Shows my power.”

Trying the stay calm she took some deep breaths. She stared up at her, taking a step back. “What is your problem anyway? As far as I know, no one did anything to you in the first place? Do you get pleasure from seeing ponies suffer?” She asked.“That’s not how you get friends.”

Stripes put a hoof on her cheek, “I dunno… But punishing Stardust and those who support her seems to be ideal.” She claimed. Jazz getting a good look at her eyes. Which looked rather unnatural up close. Those did not look like pony eyes, her first thought were tiger eyes.

She pulled her face away from her hoof as she pet it. “What’s your problem with ponies? Hmm? I think talking things out would be the better answer?”

Stripes only smirked as she looked at the pony. Jazz shivered a bit as she touched her chest with her massive hoof. The centre having patches of a light yellow in them. No pony she knew had patches of colour in the centre of their hooves. Understandable if rare. Wondering what she was going to do. She gulped in fear.

“Just doing what I can.” Stripes grinned. Her teeth looked a little off. Two of them were sharp looking, like a cat’s.

“I suppose that’s none of my business.” She responded. “But I’m sure justice against you is sure to be served. Stripes. If you keep acting this way.”

“You don’t know who I am. Or understand why I’m here…” She laughed.“If only an earless pest like you could understand!”

Jazz’s heart dropped, her eyes went wide in horror. A chill went down her spine. What? She gulped as she stared sternly at the jerk. “Wh-what? Did you just… Call me?”

Stripes pushed her aside roughly as she announced. “Earless pest!” She exclaimed. “The only earless pony around, look at you! What?! What kind of mistake was made to think it was acceptable for you to run around?!”

Jazz groaned as she picked herself up. Wiping a tear from her eye. “Th-that doesn’t- So what?” She asked. “Wh-why shouldn’t I be able to roam around? What kinds of logic?”

“I mean… Pit or whatever that lil pink brat’s name is. Chose you to work as a cheesy, dumb salon!”

“Pipp! And the salon is not cheesy or dumb!” Jazz shouted.“It’s the most popular salon in the bay! And… the only successful one in the bay…”

She picked up a pebble in her hoof and smirked. “Oh really?” She asked her. Throwing the pebble towards her. “So why’d Pipp choose an earless runt like you to help run her precious Mane Melody, anyway?”

“Because. Well…I guess she felt I was the best choice.”

“Because she felt bad!” She stomped forward. Making Jazz more scared of her as she flexed her muscles. They were glowing as she flexed. This was not a pony, clearly. The eyes, the teeth and the glowing muscles. What was she?

It was clear she wasn’t a pony but another creature in disguise, perhaps. One that can shapeshift into a pony form, but what? But Jazz wasn’t going to judge. “She knew an incomplete, earless runt like you would have a hard time finding a job! So she hired you just to make herself look good!”

Her heart was beating in her chest. She didn’t notice her legs were shaking. “Th-that’s not true! She-she said I was the b-best hoof stylist she ever met! She said it herself! She-she cares for everyone, regardless of who they are!”Tears appeared in her eyes.“Rocky- Rocky even said that I was wonderful and-and so-so. He said I was special in my own way. So what if I don’t have ears?!”

Stripes shook her head. “Their expectations must have been very low, then… Maybe they were scraping at the bottom of the barrel. Who’d want to work with Pipp, anyway, look at her!”

“You’re wrong!” Jazz shouted.

She laughed, “If only this place worked the same as the world I’m from. If anyone was a runt, like you! Or Pipp for that matter, since she seems to be a runt compared to any other. They’d be left out and swept aside for not being good enough!” She exclaimed.“You are not good enough and never will be! Pipp only brought you in because she felt bad, because she was a runt too!”

Jazz was frozen. Tears in her eyes as she heard Stripes. She couldn’t help but feel a little sorry for her. What kind of home did she come from that was so nasty? Why was she calling her and Pipp incomplete runts? “Pipp is amazing, just the way she is!” Then she froze again as she processed the words.

“But- That- What kind of home did you come from?” Jazz asked, feeling concern for this pony. “I think the word you’re looking for is disability, and that’s not how it works here, everyone is treated with respect. Also, that should not be how it works with you, either. That’s just plain wrong.”Her voice cracked.“Everyone deserves kindness and respect.No matter who or what they are…”

There was a pause. A few bystanders looked at her sadly, she looked down at the ground and then back at Stripes. Who was tapping a hoof slightly, before growing a big smirk. She just stood there and stared. Ready for what would happen next.

“You’re all too soft!” She said just before kicking Jazz aside, hard enough to send her flying a metre. She screamed before making an impact with someone’s cart filled with fruit. Melons cracked, berries squishes and bananas mashes as Jazz laid in the collapsed cart. Slowly getting up, processing what had happened. Before slipping on a banana peel and back into the juices of the destroyed fruit.

The owner was more concerned about Jazz than the fruit.

“Sweetie! You okay!?”The mare pulling the cart asked. It was an elderly mare. Thankfully unharmed from the impact of a mare smashing into her cart. She simply wiped a few drops of fruit from herself and helped Jazz up. Who was crying, fruit splattered all over her mane and coat.

Jazz tried to speak, fruit juice dripping from her mane. “I-I’m sorry!” She choked before running off. Before the mare could say anything.

Dahlia had witnessed the kick, not able to get close before she watched her run away, “Jazz!” them she looked down at the ground and up at Stripes.

“What was that for!” Dahlia squealed in anger, being annoyed. Her face turned red as she looked up at the mare that started to walk away. Ignoring as other ponies shouted. Hearing galloping and a shout, perhaps from another mare. “Hey you!”

Stripes smirked, flexing like she won a trophey. “Are those that I can hear gonna shout at me about that earless mutt?” She asked before scoffing. “Weaklings…” She said before being tackled to the ground by two ponies. One yellow and one white. “Hey!”

“Sorry!” The yellow one announced as he hopped off her. “Sheriff Hitch Trailblazer here. That was uh… Not exactly my plan to tackle you… But I want to inform you that you haven’t been very kind around these parts. Is that true?”

Zipp pushed down harder on the big mare’s back. Looking absolutely annoyed. “I knew something was up with you. Izzy told me a pony that fits your description insulted my Sister this morning. That was you, wasn’t it? That’s just wrong! Who do you think you are?”She shouted down at the mare.“Disgusting.”

“Thankfully some ponies told us what you just did. Assault? That is not okay!” Hitch exclaimed. Having recieved messages from a few ponies when Jazz was being harassed.

Stripes glared at a random pony who had been on the phone earlier. “How dare you! Using your communication tool to arrest me!?”

“I think it is best you come with us!” Hitch announced. Putting hoof cuffs on the mare and leading her along. It was obvious he was a little scared on what she was going to do.

Zipp started to think to herself as she followed. “This pony is weird… These muscles, they just aren’t natural… Did she use magic to buff herself? Or is there more to this? Okay, hmmm…”


In the sheriff station. The curtains were shut and the room was dull. The only ones inside were Hitch, Zipp and Stripes. Sparky would have been there, but he was at Figgy’s at the moment.

Hitch had a bad feeling having Sparky around this theif would have been a bit too risky for him. Also, he was wanting to watch a cartoon he likes in the tv there, knowing the new episodes had came. It was a cheesy pre-school show, but Hitch wasn’t gonna judge him.

Zipp sat down and shone a lamp towards the buff jerk’s face who was looking proud of herself.

“Speak!” Demanded Zipp.

“Once a upon a time, there was a-“

Then she slammed her hooves on the table. “I mean by this behaviour! Making fun and breaking stuff! Harassing ponies less fortunate than you! Harassing an innocent mare. Why are you doing this? Who are you?”

Hitch sat next to Zipp, tapping his hooves together. Giving the mare a nervous smile. “Please?”

“I dunno… I think it might be a bit much for your dumb brain!”

Hitch spoke before Zipp could. “Just tell us what you know. We want to work with you here, not against you. So tell us what’s going on. Maybe we can help? No one needs to get hurt."

“What?” She whispered as she looked at him. Wings flared slightly. Why was he being so nice? “Hitch?”

“Excuse me! You are treating me like I am no different to monsters!” Stripes shouted.

“A… monster? We never called you one! What makes you say that?” Hitch asked. "And what has this got to do with harassing others?"

“That’s none of your pebbling business. You pebble!”

Neither ponies took offence. But by the tone of her voice they were apparently supposed to. “

“Tell us.”

“Fine. I am doing you a favour! For example, a runt is a runt, a runt is a waste of anything!”

“So. According to you. Every pony less fortunate than you deserves punishment?” Then Zipp slammed her hooves on the table. “Really?”

“Prove it!”

“Obviously I don’t know anything that’s been happening in your life. But I do have more suspicions on you for this!”

“Runt’s just a mistake, that’s all. So is that earless runt.”

Hitch immediately knew she was talking about Jazz. She had lost her ears in an incident many ears ago, it really hurt her whenever it was brought up. He remembered hearing she had a panic attack one time.

“You’re being extremely rude! That’s not good to think that of anyone!” Hitch scolded. "Regardless of what they have or something they do not have."

The jerk smirked at the two. “Oh really? Well… I think I got a few suggestions to fix this place. You have way too many runts running around.”

“Why do you keep saying runt?” Asked Hitch. “Thats extremely rude. Everypony is different in their own way. How many times do I have to tell you!”

“That’s the use of keeping that earless teal thing around?” She asked with a chuckle. “Or that pudgy pink blob!”

“Pudgy pink blob?”

“You know? The… Pipp Pegasus pony. She’s just way too small.She is small compared to the rest of the ponies in your kingdom. She doesn’t belong in a place like this. A disgrace to the rest of you, why not-“

"This isn't a king-"

Zipp slammed her hooves on the table harder than anyone expected. “What did… you just say about… my sister?” She asked bitterly.

"That you should get rid of her? It must be embarrassing to have some pony around who is so flawed."

“I will make you regret opening your huge, orange mouth!” Zipp growled, full of range. Hitch had never seen her so angry, all he did was stand there. She slammed her hoof down at a very spicy chilli that was lift on Hitch’s desk. As a gift from one of his bird friends that for some reason thought he would have liked to have a chilli to eat.

“She may be a little annoying at times and gets me to do things I don’t like. We don’t always get along… But… I’d never trade her for anything else.” She raised her hoof towards Stripe’s open mouth.“Because she is my sister!” She slammed the chilli into her mouth. Hoping it’d be enough to get her from spitting insults about Pipp.

“Ugh! What did you do to me?! You pest!?” Stripes panted.

“Never… Call my sister a mistake…” Zipp responded bitterly.

She fell to the ground. Spitting the remains of the chilli from her mouth. Hitch watched with concern, even if she was a jerk. It was very worrisome. She was making noises of fear too, has she ever eaten a chilli in her life?

“Don’t worry, Hitch. She’s clearly fine. It’s simply way too hot for her.” She smirked slightly.“There’s more where that came from.”

Stripes soon passed out after flames came out her mouth as she chortled a very rude word at Zipp. It was surprising she had passed out, to be honest. But she was in no serious danger, just a drama queen.

“Zipp!” Hitch said worriedly. Watching her as she dragged her, who had partly fainted, into the cell and locking the door behind her as she walked out. He then sighed a bit and nodded. Soon he cleared his throat. “For theft and assault, I think it’s pretty fair you stay there for a few days!” He said getting closer to the cage. “Then we talk about your sentence, becouse assault is a serious crime.”

“And we’ll have a talk after you wake up!” Zipp exclaimed.

“That’s just what I just said.”


Meanwhile

Jazz was in the back room of the salon. There was a mirror in there, she went up to it quickly. “E-earless, dumb… pathetic runt?”She asked her reflection before undoing her mane completely.

Her hooves were shaking as she moved it to the side, removing the hair from the spot pony ears would usually be. Tears ran down her face as she moved her mane. Soon revealing her ear hole and around it, what remained of her outta ear. There was hardly anything besides a stub of it. It was mostly gone. She fell to the ground, sobbing. “Why?”

She wondered why Pipp chose her. Was she really the best hoof stylist she met? Was she really the best choice of the salon? Or was she just trying to make her feel good? Maybe she was pathetic.

There was knocking on the door. She could hear Pipp’s voice. “Jazz? Jazz!? You okay in there?! Jazz?”

”Go away…” She sobbed. “Just Go…”

She looked down at her hooves, that were shaking. Voices echoed in her mind. She felt herself breathing heavily, her body was shaking. It was like as the room was spinning.

"Where-where are her-"

"I'm sorry ma'am. We tried what we could..."

When she closed her eyes. She felt more scared as a flashback came up. Her heart was racing as flashback followed after flashback. Like the time she saw herself without her ears when she woke up in the hospital bed. Then seeing her reflection.

"Hey... Where are my ears? I can't see them."

"I'm sorry, sweetie..."

Then her mind flashed to another moment as her breathing felt heavier. She felt like something was crying to drag her down. Perhaps drown her. She remembered the time she has walked into school the first time since the incident.

Her gut started to ache as she felt she couldn't breath. Her body felt hot, tears were gushing down her mouth. She soon reached her hoof out to three fillies. Her friends.

"D-don't l-leave me-" She tried to speak. She felt so broken. It was hard to breathe. Almost like someone was strangling her.

"Ew, look at that freak!"

"What kind of losers would want to be friends with her?"

"Yeah!"

"Wh-what?"

"C'mon girls, let's get away from this gross freak."

"Wait... Don't go! Please! I'm sorry!"

'Jazz tried to chase after them, but she wasn't moving for some reason. "Don't leave me!"

"Don't leave me!" She cried out loud. Feeling like she was struggling to breath.


“Jazz! Please come out, what’s wrong?” Pipp asked, before knocking on the door. She had seen her friend enter the salon and just run into the back room. After saying she is not good enough.

“C’mon Jazz, we are your friends!” Rocky added as a filly entered the salon.

“Oh, hey Seashell.” Pipp greeted. Sighing as she looked at her and back at the door. Not noticing Seashell approach her with a video on her phone.

There was silence as she approached, her two friend behind her. “We know what happened.” She said, ahowing Pipp her phone. Having recorded the incident earlier.

Pipp’s expression went red as she watched the striped mare harm her friend the way she did. She started the growl before she took deep breaths and calmed herself down. Rocky staring with horror as he glanced at the phone.

“Thank you very much for showing me what happened, Seashell.” Pipp thanked before looking at the door. Making a sigh as she went to open it. “Jazz… I am coming in…” She warned, softly opening the door and quietly walking in with Rocky following her.

Both their hearts dropped as soon as they saw Jazz. Curled up against a cupboard, crying loudly. Her mane undone, parted in a place where her ear would be, showing the remains of the outer ear and showing the hole.

“What do you want?”

“Jazz, we saw what happened.” Pipp said softly. “That loser is lying. You are not a pathetic runt. You are the best hoof stylist in town!”

“Yeah! She’s obviously just jealous of you amazing skills! So what if you don’t have ears?”

“Yeah! Lack of ears doesn’t make you any less of a pony than anyone else!” Pipp agreed.

“B-but I’m just a weak loser!” Jazz exclaimed, face-planting into her hooves.

“No you are not! You are way stronger than you think of yourself as. You are an amazing pony, don’t let anyone tell you otherwise!” Pipp exclaimed, putting a hoof on Jazz’s shoulder.

“Yep! If you ever need us, we’ll always be there for you. Okay? You can win against these bullies, I know you can.” Rocky put a wing around her, allowing her to cry loudly. “I won’t leave you hanging.”

“Let it out, Jazz.” Pipp soothed.

Jazz sobbed loudly into Rocky’s chest. Feeling ashamed they had to see her at a time like this. But so glad they were able to comfort her. She laid up against Rocky, just letting it all out. She had friends, but she was scared they’d leave her one day. She was crying so loudly that she could not speak.

It went on for a while before it stopped and she ran out of tears. Wiping her eyes with her hooves, she looked at Pipp and Rocky. So grateful to have them in a time like this.

She was glad to have friends.