• Published 31st Oct 2023
  • 96 Views, 1 Comments

Silk-Spider Anthologies: Nightmare Night - PinkamenaPictures



Three short stories themed around the Nightmare Night holiday.

  • ...
 1
 96

[T] All Hallow's Eve

Author's Note:

Genre tags: Equestria Girls, drama.
Character tags: Sunset Shimmer, Pinkie Pie (EqG).
Synopsis: Sunset Shimmer wonders about her future after receiving an invitation to a Halloween party.

The Mirror World’s holidays had never really been of any interest to Sunset Shimmer, as she had been more concerned with claiming what she believed to be her birthright. However, those with clear parallels to Equestria’s holidays had received a little more attention.

Halloween and Nightmare Night shared many similarities in how they were celebrated, but the reason for the Mirror World’s was based on fantasy rather than grounded in history. Halloween was the day before an older holiday for remembering the dead, leading to people thinking that the borders between the living and the dead grew weaker near that day. Causing humans to disguise themselves from monsters from beyond. Nightmare Night, in contrast, was a day to fear and revere the mighty Nightmare Moon, She Who Eclipsed the Sun. Ponies hide their faces out of respect for the alicorn’s power, not superstitions.

As Sunset Shimmer wandered the streets of Canterlot City’s suburbs while Halloween festivities were in full swing, she was forced to concede that both of the holidays had mostly just become an excuse to dress up and get free candy.

Sunset watched as a group of children dressed as sparkly princesses led by an adult in an old fashioned suit covered in gears walked up to a house decorated to look like a spider’s nest and knocked on the door. When it opened, Sunset was certain that their collective cry of ‘Trick or Treat’ could have been heard from the school.

Sunset had dressed up in a costume she bought a few hours before the sun fell, a simple outfit of black underclothes, black gloves, a black hooded shawl, and a white ghost mask. At least, she assumed it was meant to be a ghost’s face. In her hands she carried neither the cheap plastic knife from the costume nor a candy bucket. Unlike the rest of the people out in the cold October night, Sunset had no interest in candy nor was she tasked with watching those who did. She was there only to think, and had chosen the scenery deliberately.

Just four weeks earlier, Sunset Shimmer had lost everything. She lost the power she held of Canterlot High: her reputation. Yes, she still had all her blackmail material, but it had always been secondary. Without power and influence, no one would listen to her. She was the Queen of Canterlot High, now she was nothing. Worse, at least as nothing she would be ignored, but instead she was mocked, taunted, bullied.

After the Fall Formal Sunset had spent two weeks helping a construction crew repair the school, and the week after that was in school suspension. On the last day of that, she was promised after school detention for no less than the rest of the year. Sunset had never expected to miss suspension, but after dealing with the student body without the protection of their fear for her she had begun to doubt her ability to keep going.

Sunset persevered however, and had made it through two weeks of torment. Sunset knew that she could manage to endure the punishment because it was nothing less than what she deserved for her crimes. The Element had shown her that much.

Walking down the street, it was impossible to ignore the jollity of the holiday. Children running from house to house dressed as their favourite character or monster, the decorations both bright and grim, and the sense of solidarity from everyone hiding their faces. There was so much joy in the air that even with the theme of terror, it was hard to remain unhappy or scared for long.

Eventually, Sunset reached her destination: The Canterlot City Park. Normally referred to as The Park, it was a large patch of trees and grass at the edge of the suburbs. The Park was decorated with pumpkins, skeletons, and even a few less than scary scarecrows. In the centre of The Park was a flat, empty space used for events, for Halloween a large dance floor had been set up along with tables for everything one could want for a party.

In her locker that morning, Sunset had found, amidst the usual threats and insults, an invitation to the Halloween party before her. The sounds from the party all blended together at her distance, creating a dull roar that covered the sounds of the night. Sunset leaned on The Park's fence, and debated approaching.

On one hand: the student body as whole hated her and she did not really want to interact with them. On the other hand: she had been given an invitation, and it could be that she was being given another chance. Of course, if she did go then there was also the chance that they would just trick her into thinking they were not going to do anything just to make her lower her guard for an even bigger humiliation.

Sunset shook her head. No. I won't open myself up for that. It is the motto of the holiday after all, trick or treat.

"What'cha doing?"

Sunset jumped in surprise at the voice, and turned to see a plague doctor looking at her from about a metre away.

"Sorry, I didn't mean to startle you. Just wondering what you're doing out here?" The doctor's voice was familiar to Sunset, but she could not quite place it. The doctor was wearing a long dark brown coat with a hood, tall leather boots, leather gloves, and the iconic beak mask made of dark leather and metal. Her eyes were hidden by tinted glass.

Sunset decided to play it safe, and lowered her voice to keep from being recognized. "I could ask the same of you."

"It would make sense too, asking the same question back once or twice. Supposed to be about who I am though," The doctor said nonchalantly as she moved a bit closer and leaned on the fence with her elbow.

"What is your name then?" Sunset asked.

"No names!" The doctor chastised in a way that made Sunset feel like a foal. "It's Halloween! I am The Doktor."

"Right."

They stood in silence for a few seconds, the awkwardness palpable. Then, mercifully, The Doktor gestured towards Sunset to ask about her costume.

"I am a... ghost, I guess. I just bought the first costume I saw." Sunset confessed, slightly embarrassed to admit that to someone who clearly put so much effort into her costume.

"That explains it. Most people would've asked for my favourite horror movie by now," The Doktor said, a smile clear in her tone.

“Why would I ask about movies?”

“You’re a slasher villain,” The Doktor said matter of factly. “From a very popular comedy horror series. I think that the first stands very well as both, but I like the series less and less as it goes. You clearly haven’t seen those, but do you watch any horror?”

“Not really, I’ve never put any time into such things.” Sunset immediately wondered why she admitted that. To a stranger no less. Perhaps it was time to take control of the conversation, take the offence. “You never told me what you’re doing out here.”

“I’m talking to you, and soon I’ll be going to the party over there. What about you?” The Doktor suddenly stood and leaned her masked face towards Sunset, so close that Sunset could smell the rose and lavender in the beak. “What are you doing here?”

Sunset glanced between the Halloween party she had been invited to and the curious person next to her. Finally, she stepped back. “Leaving. I am going home.”

Sunset turned to leave, and began walking. She had only made it a few steps when she was stopped by The Doktor’s voice. Not the words, the no longer muffled voice.

“You’ll miss a great celebration,” Pinkie Pie looked at Sunset with her mask in her hands, her hood pulled back. “I was kind of hoping that meeting you here meant that you had accepted my invitation, Sunset.”

Through her slasher villain mask, Sunset stared at one of the girls who had stolen everything from her just four weeks earlier. Pinkie was the one who invited her, but why? Sunset had tried to kill her! Sunset knew better than most that Pinkie was more than giggles and gumdrops, but even so -or perhaps because of that -how could she forgive so easily? Pinkie’s eyes, sky blue and deep as the sea, spoke to her sincerity.

"Why go somewhere everyone hates me? Where everyone knows what I've done?" Sunset asked, not willing to believe Pinkie and no longer trying to disguise her voice. However, Sunset did not give Pinkie time to respond before turning away. She did not take three steps before she was once more stopped by Pinkie. This time, it was the words spoken.

"I don't hate you. I know a lot of what you've done, but I don't hate you."

Pinkie took Sunset stopping, even without turning around, as a sign to continue.

"I didn't invite you to mock or humiliate you, or whatever you think. I invited you because I want to be your friend." The words hung in the air, and for a time neither girl moved. Pinkie was about to give up when Sunset broke the silence.

"I'm not going to a Halloween party," Sunset said quietly and without turning. "But if you're serious, maybe you can show me that horror movie sometime."

While Sunset walked away, Pinkie watched her with a hopeful smile. Pinkie looked back towards the party and vaulted the fence. She put her mask and hood back on as she walked, while remarking to herself how well her first conversation with Sunset after the Fall Formal had gone.

I haven't ever given you the second chance you deserve, but I will make it right with you, Sunset Shimmer. Thank you for this chance, I won't waste it.