• Published 1st Oct 2012
  • 1,166 Views, 57 Comments

The Last Crusade - Scribblestick



A tyrant has ruled for a decade. A crusading trio sets out to stop her.

  • ...
3
 57
 1,166

Traitor

Traitor

“The moon curse that dragon!” Nightmare Moon hissed as she took another swig of a foul-smelling and fouler-tasting concoction that felt like a slug oozing its way down her throat. She coughed and spat several times to get the horrid taste out of her mouth while the pain in her side subsided to a distant ache. “It’s losing its potency,” she murmured as she reviewed her ingredients stock. “You three,” she said, gesturing to a group of Shadowbolts standing nearby. “Get me more herbs from the Trottingham shelter. If they try to put up a fight again, do not hesitate to fight back.”

Her slaves bowed and exited the room. The dark princess turned her attention to the advanced potions books she’d been dissecting for weeks. Dozens of experiments and trials and more than a few accidental explosions had led her to a pain reliever, but still a cure evaded her. She was running dangerously low on supplies, and it was only by luck that her Shadowbolts had discovered the underground herb garden at Trottingham. Why Shadow Strike hadn’t told her about it was a mystery to her.

“Your majesty.” The dark mare looked up to see another group of Shadowbolts kneeling before her. “We have detected an intrusion on Equestria’s northern border. A flight of about a hundred griffons is making its way towards Canterlot.”

“Keep an eye on them,” said Nightmare Moon. “The griffons have been getting restless as of late. They may be trying to communicate with the zebras, now that their accursed dragon is dead.”

“Your majesty, they come very heavily armed,” the Shadowbolt said.

“Then keep a close eye on them,” the princess snapped. “A hundred griffons are surely no match for the Shadowbolts, are they?”

The Shadowbolt bowed a little lower. “No, your majesty.”

“Good. I’ll leave them to you, then.”

The Shadowbolt nodded, and he and his companions left the room. Nightmare Moon returned to her books. That was the trouble with her slave army—perfectly obedient but in need of constant direction. Regular ponies may have been hard to deal with, but at least they didn’t feel the need to ask her about everything.

She was just about to start working on a new formula when yet another pony burst into the room. “Your majesty,” the yellow mare said, gasping for breath. “We have a problem.”

“Shadow Strike,” Nightmare Moon said, giving the spy her full attention. “How nice to see you again. You have another report to make so soon?”

Shadow Strike sucked in a couple deep breaths before answering. “Equestria is being invaded, your majesty.”

“Yes, my Shadowbolts already informed me of the griffon flight.”

“It’s more than that, your majesty,” Shadow Strike pressed. “There’s a huge army of ponies coming up from the south. They’ll be here within the hour.”

“What?” Nightmare Moon turned her attention to the detection spells she’d placed around Equestria’s borders. “Impossible. I haven’t sensed anything from the south.”

“They have a powerful unicorn named Sweetie Belle with them, your majesty,” Shadow Strike explained. “She may have disrupted your detection spells so the pony army could sneak in.”

“I see.” Nightmare Moon let this new information sink in for a moment. “Do you think they plan to coordinate an attack with the griffons?”

“It’s possible,” said Shadow Strike.

“Of course it’s possible,” the princess snapped. “Do you think they will?”

Shadow Strike thought for a moment. “It would make the most sense, your majesty.”

Nightmare Moon nodded. “You’ve done well, Shadow Strike. I shall mobilize the Shadowbolts immediately.”

“There’s something else, your majesty,” Shadow Strike added quickly. “It’s their leader. She… well, I know it sounds crazy, but… well, they’re being led by Princess Celestia.”

Nightmare Moon was silent for a moment. “That’s not possible. I killed her myself.”

“All I know is what I saw,” Shadow Strike said. “It’s possible that she’s been hiding in Zebrica this whole time, waiting for the perfect moment to attack.”

Nightmare moon was again silent. “And how is it, Shadow Strike, that you didn’t tell me about this before?”

“I didn’t know, your majesty.”

“Didn’t know?” Nightmare Moon frowned. “You know the name of the unicorn who helped them slip through my defenses—a unicorn who escaped from under my very eyes, I might add—yet you didn’t know that Princess Celestia was hiding in Zebrica?”

“I…”

“You were able to track down Sweetie Belle, but you didn’t notice the ponies raising an army?” Nightmare Moon continued. “Your spying capabilities seem rather selective, my student.”

“L-look,” Shadow Strike said, backing away a couple paces. “It’s not as easy as you think it is.”

“Don’t talk down to me, Shadow Strike,” Nightmare Moon snapped as her horn began to glow. “How many times have you been to the Trottingham shelter?”

“S-several times, your—”

“And yet you told me nothing of the herb garden?” Shadow Strike backed away as Nightmare Moon stepped forward. “If I didn’t know any better, Shadow Strike, I’d say you were spying on me instead of for me!”

“N-no!” The mare hit the wall and pressed herself against it. Five Shadowbolts appeared around Nightmare Moon. “It’s not like that!”

“Oh, but it is,” Nightmare Moon said. Now that she said it out loud, it made perfect sense. “You’ve been lying to me this whole time.”

“No!”

“You were trying to scare me, weren’t you?” the princess continued. “You thought by telling me Celestia was out there, you could scare me into staying away from the battle.”

“Your majesty, please—”

“Well, my little spy, you’ve pushed your luck too far this time.” The Shadowbolts bent their legs and growled. “When your little pony army arrives, they’ll be facing more than just my Shadowbolts.” The princess turned and walked toward the door. “You five, take care of this traitor and join your brothers and sisters on the battlefield. This pathetic uprising will be over soon enough.”

Apple Bloom couldn’t help but smirk as the princess left the room. Not quite what I had in mind, but I’ll take it. She turned her attention to the Shadowbolts closing in around her and drew two knives from her vest. Now, to take care of you.