• Published 19th Jul 2023
  • 467 Views, 20 Comments

A House Divided - Weponizedtism



After years of conflict both Equestria and the Apple family are torn apart. Will they be reunited or will they be shattered in one final struggle.

  • ...
1
 20
 467

Chapter 6: The Redoubt

Honeycrisp panted as he placed down his heavy machine gun on the firing position, the dry cold air filling his lungs as he took deep breaths. Likewise the rock and concrete of the desert mesa turned redoubt sent chills up his spine as he sat down to assist in loading and prepping the gun; the two pies in his cutie mark being pressed against the cold stone. Since the week-long Celestainite bombardment had finally stopped a few minutes ago, everypony was leaping out of their bunkers and running around radying their positions for the coming royalists, the young appleloosan colt was no exception. His gray uniform was already damp from sweat, and his black mane was dripping from under his helmet. As his assistant gunner ran to fetch more boxes of ammunition, Honeycrisp began reviewing the list of pre-sighted rock formations and adjusting the machinegun’s sights. Looking out from the parapet, below to his flanks he saw deep lines of concrete reinforced trenches and pillboxes with ponies frantically taking up fighting positions. Below and in front of him, under dark rolling clouds, stretched the almost empty vast arid plain mangled by artillery craters and torn barbed wire; all the way to the royalist lines.

Redoubt 17, or “Fort Braeburn”, as the division had affectionately nicknamed it in honor of their commanding officer, was one of the of the key strongpoints in the first line of defense of the confederate capital. Tunnels, pillboxes, bunkers, and fighting positions had been dug and constructed into the mesa turning the large desert rock into a fortress. Honeycrisp had never thought about signing up, especially after the death of his older brother. He had planned to stay at his family’s Appleloosa bakery, but after the Canterlot ultimatum he wasn’t just gonna sit by and let Celestia destroy what they had built; what his brother fought and died for. Though his parents and sister begged him not to go, he couldn't just sit back and do nothing. In the end, his mind was already made up, though the fact that he was posted under his cousin’s command did ease their fears somewhat. This was something Honeycrisp took immense pride in, he’d add to the Apple Family’s new but distinguished line of martial heritage just like cousins Braeburn and Apple Ale; just like his brother. He’d make them all proud.

Honeycrisp snapped back to attention as Oil Slick came running back carrying two boxes and various belts of munitions. The ebony Hoofington unicorn was also levitating a couple grenades with his horn.

“For if the bastards manage to get close” he said with a grin, as he sat down and loaded a belt into their gun, and cocked it.

“Sweet heaven, I can see them coming! Look!” Honeycrisp exclaimed as he took another look out the parapet. Far away formations of hundreds if not thousands of small figures moved towards them as they advanced.

“Everypony at the ready! WAIT FOR MY COMMAND!” The raspy voice of their sergeant reverberated through their pillbox.

Below the small forms of the equestrian soldiers slowly grew larger as they approached, they were about to reach the first group of marked boulders. The distant muffled sound of the rocket batteries firing came in from behind confederate lines, Honeycrisp’s coat hairs stood on end and his heart began to race. Time seemed to stand still as cold sweat dripped down his back and he took aim at the silhouettes of the ponies moving on the plains.

“FIRE!” The command reverberated through the redoubt, and in a flash the rebels opened up on the advancing mass. Tartarus was unleashed as the confederates rained fire on the still advancing royalists, their silhouetted forms being torn apart amongst the hail of exploding rockets and burning lead.