• Published 14th Jun 2023
  • 239 Views, 8 Comments

Life Outside - CalmHeart



Well, they certainly didn't know just what there was in store. What there was behind the dreamer's door.

  • ...
 8
 239

Day 2

Meanwhile...

"I swear sir, one minute they're here, the next, poof! They're gone with the flash of lights."

"How on Earth could someone take 7 engines away with one bright flash?"

"S-seven?"

"Toby was found missing this morning as well."

"Hoohh, I hope they're alright."

"Don't worry Emily, we'll find them. For now, you have to pull the express while Rosie runs Thomas' branch line."

"Okay sir. I'll do my best to be a really useful engine while they're gone."


"Let's start off with the easiest spell, and the one you two know how to do already, levitating."

Twilight was giving Edward and James a crash course on unicorn magic while Thomas was talking with Spike.
They all were in the map room. Spike and Thomas were sitting on the crystal chairs, while Twilight, James, and Edward were standing up, towards the map table. Twilight had three books on the table.

Edward and James levitated the books with ease. Twilight was pleased.
"Good."

The two set the books back down.
"The other spell that most unicorns should know is teleportation." Twilight closed her eyes, and teleported to the other side of the map. Edward and James gasped.

"We can do that?" James got excited.

"How mystifying.." Edward commented.

"Now you two try. Think of a place in this room to teleport, and concentrate."

Both of them closed their eyes. The purple outline for Edward glowed, and suddenly he went from one side of the map to the other. He was amazed. "Oh wow."

James was a second behind him, and teleported next to Thomas and Spike.

"That's pretty impressive." Thomas admitted, James smirking proudly.

"I am, aren't I?"

Thomas rolled his eyes at James' comment.

Twilight levitated the books back to their shelves. "And that's not even scratching the surface of a unicorn's level. See, unicorns can have different skill levels based on their skill, specialty, and how much they study and/or practice."

Edward thought. "Basically, the better you get, the more powerful you can be?"

Twilight turned to him. "Correct, but not all unicorns are destined to use high level magic. Or even want to."

Thomas stood, and walked over to them. "And you are someone who has, right? Spike told me you used to be a unicorn before becoming an alicorn."

Twilight nodded, smiling. "Yes. Even when I was a filly I was a gifted magic user."

Thomas relayed information he learned.
"And you were excepted into Celestia's School for Gifted Unicorns."

Twilight nodded.
"Yes, I-"
Suddenly she stopped. She glanced at Spike. "Has Spike been telling you my life story?"

Spike spoke, holding a jem and reading a cookbook. "I've only caught him up on what's happened these many long years."

Edward remembered a question he wanted to ask the day before.
"That reminds me, why do James and I have horns, and Gordon and Henry have wings, while Thomas, Percy and Toby don't have any of these?"

Twilight rubbed her chin.
"I guess when you were brought into this world, you were given forms that would best match who you are."

James muttered under his breath.
"It would have been cool if I had wings."

Edward and Thomas looked at him.

James backpedaled.
"Which is not to say being a unicorn is not cool, on the contrary I really like the pony form I was given. Especially this long mane and tail."

"Especially your long, gold-dipped black mane and tail."

Rarity entered the map room, responding to James' last comment. She politely smiled to the unicorns.
"How are you two getting along with handling your magic?"

"Pretty swimmingly." Edward said.

"It was much easier than I thought it would be." James admitted, noticing a piece of cloth in her hoof.

Rarity walked over to Twilight briefly. "Twilight, darling, when you see Starlight can you give her this sunhat she ordered? I've been trying to track her down all day."

She handed the hat over to Twilight with magic and she took it with her magic. "Sure can Rarity. You can leave it with me."

Rarity exhaled with a smile.
"A million thanks dear. I've just started designs on this year's summer collection."

That intrigued James.

Twilight set the hat down."You have a theme yet?"

Rarity shook her head.
"No, but that's why I've come here."

She turned, and walked over to James.
"You look like a pony who would know a thing or two about fashion."

That caused Thomas to burst out laughing.

"James? (Ha!) A fashionista? If you count the numerous times he's boasted about his paintwork, then perhaps."

James grumbled. "Shut up Thomas, an engine's paintwork is really important."

Thomas continued to giggle, boasting about himself in the process. "Too bad you didn't get painted blue, like me! Then maybe I'd care."

"Is that a insult?" James turned to Thomas, taking a step.

Edward waved his hoof between them, breaking it up. "Okay, okay, come on, that's enough."

He glared at both of them, but not negatively.
"Do you two really need to start arguing in front of our new friends?"

James sighed. "Thomas started it. All I said is what I believe."

Rarity smiled. "It seems you are somepony who knows a thing about fashion. Well, an engine's fashion statement."

"So?" James asked.

Rarity asked if he could come along. "I would appreciate if you accompanied me to my boutique, I think you could find something to do there. I'd need you to help me with something."

James was interested, and nodded. "Sounds like a full day to me."

Rarity waved to him to follow, and they trotted towards the doorway. Rarity waved goodbye to Twilight and Spike.

"I'll bring him back in one piece."

Twilight chuckled, and rolled her eyes with a smile.

"You best do!" Spike called after.

Spike sighed. "She's great."

Thomas chuckled. "You fancy her, aeh?"

Spike blushed in embarrassment. "Maybe. But it'll never be reciprocated."

"How do you know?" Edward asked.

"She's already told me." Spike sighed slightly.

"Ouch." Thomas commented.

"It's fine. As long as she finds somepony that'll make her happy, I'll be happy."

Edward was presently surprised. "That's really mature of you Spike."

Thomas turned to Twilight.
"Hey Twilight, could you tell me more about these Elements of Harmony Spike kept bringing up?"


CAKE.

Cakes upon cakes was what Percy was looking at as he entered Sugarcube Corner's kitchen with Pinkie.

"When making anything, there's always more than one ingredient in the mixture."

Percy stared at the confections in the kitchen. "Sure."

Pinkie noticed him staring at the sweets around them. "Oh, sorry about the clutter, Mr. And Ms. Cake have been super busy with the cake competition this year."

"I see.." He slowly stopped, staring at a black and white cake.

"Have you always been a baker?"

Pinkie shook her head, clearing the counter and putting clean kitchen tools on the open space. "Nope, it's just one of my hobbies, and the job I have."

Percy walked over to Pinkie, now noticing her cutie mark. "Um, what's the mark on your flank about?"

Pinkie glanced at it, and explained.
"That's my cutie mark. A cutie mark is basically what you're destined to do, what your specialty is."

"So your cutie mark means you're destined to... Blow balloons?"

Pinkie Pie giggled, taking out the flour from another cupboard. "No silly, my cutie mark represents my love and passion for planning parties, and making ponies smile."

Percy inhaled, taking in the scent of the confections around him. He smiled. "That's- Awfully sweet."

Pinkie just beamed, whisk now in hoof.

"Welcome to Equestria! It's like that here."

She set the whisk down, trotting across the kitchen to the overhead cupboards to grab sugar. She glanced at the green colt, pointing to his flank.
"Hey, you have one too!"

"I do?"
Percy turned his head to see his cutie mark. An envelope sealed with a winged heart.
"I do! Why is is an envelope though?"

Pinkie carried the sugar over to the counter on her head. "What's something back on your Earth that's your specialty, something you're passionate about and proud of doing? Something that represents you?"

Percy had to think for a moment, before realizing it.
"Oh!- I run the mail train every night! I love that job, and it's kinda what I'm known for."
He looked at his cutie mark more closely.
"I still don't know why it's sealed with a heart sticker."

Pinkie had the counter readied. "You'll figure it out, I know you will!" She popped up next to him and put a hoof around his neck. "Now, you're going to help me make a small batch of carrot cupcakes!" She pulled him over to the counter, Percy a little surprised at her touchiness. He rubbed the back of his neck.

"Aren't you going to teach me first before we start baking?"

Pinkie giggled, giving him a measuring cup. "Baking is the learning! Besides, you'll catch up pretty quickly. If my husband can, then you can."

Percy blinked.
"You're married?"

And so ensued a conversation about Pinkie's life, messy baking, and error filled escapades. Percy had to admit, it was fun.


It's late spring, and the trees are a vibrant green, alive and dotted with red specks crossing from eye to eye. Stretching out across the plains, it was a beautiful sight to behold.

Toby was looking out to this view on a hill as Applejack spoke about her family's farm.

"For generations, the apple family had lived and grown in Ponyville. There's many of us across Equestria now, but this is where it all started."

Toby took in a deep breath to admire the smell, and looked to Applejack. "I can't believe this all started from one apple seed."

Applejack tipped her hat slightly.
"A lot of blood, sweat, and tears went into this place. You can attribute a lot of that to Granny Smith, when she was younger she had the determination and ethic of a 500 pound workhorse."

Toby went back to admiring the view.
"Wow. This view..." He stumbled off, still in awe of all this hard work in front of him. Applejack finished the sentence, looking over the trees.

"..Is what we work for. Too bad you hadn't arrived sooner, the Zap Apple season is something we're especially known for."
She gestured him to come along, and the two started off down the hill.

"It's wonderful how this old farm is still alive and strong as it is."

Applejack was curious. "Whatcha mean by that Toby?"

Toby reminisced about the good old days as the hill was ending, and apple trees surrounded them.
"Well, I used to run a branch line north of Sodor."

He smiled, remembering him and Henrietta going along the rails. "A long time ago. It was a busy, happy time. I had plenty of jobs, passengers to carry, cargo to haul..."

His smile weakened, glancing at Applejack to notice if she was paying attention. And she was.

"But over time things slowed. So much so that they closed down the line."

Applejack tilted her head down slightly. "I'm mighty sorry to hear that."

Toby assured her sympathy, looking up through the leaves.
"It's okay. The head of the Northwestern Railway, Sir Topham Hatt, invited me to work on his railway, and now I am. With Thomas and the bunch. It's a good life. He treats us all very well."

Applejack smiled lightly, and walked over to a tree that had woven wood baskets under it.
"Glad to hear so."

Toby stopped, and gazed at the apple tree.
"...How do you collect apples? I don't see any ladders around."

Applejack waved her hoof down, and kicked the tree with her hind legs, causing the tree to shake, and the apples to fall into the baskets.

Toby was impressed. "How did you do that?"

Applejack walked over to another tree.
"It's called apple bucking. All you need to do is aim, wind up, and-"
She bucked the tree, and again, apples fell into the baskets.
"-Buck the tree with force."

She placed a front hoof on the tree.
"These trees in particular were planted during the fall, and now give during spring. It's how we're able to grow apples year around."

Toby smiled. "Highly impressive."

Applejack gestured to the next tree. "Would'ya wanna try?"

Toby nodded quickly, giving a appreciative grin.
"Why not?"


"Welcome to Carousel Boutique!"

James was immediately impressed with the front. As Rarity let him into the boutique he looked around with a high interest. Hand crafted, designer clothing lined the sides of the shop, slightly hidden from the normal eye by curtains, making the shop feel welcoming and open. To the right, was a little stand and two big mirrors for ponies to look in while trying on dresses. To the left, three hair stylers accompanied the same count of hanging wall mirrors.

An empty pony mannequin was near the stand. Ahead he could see stairs leading to the upstairs bedrooms. Aside the stairs hidden from view was the doorway to the kitchen.

"This place has style." James complemented, Rarity trotting over to him.

"Thank you, it's not much compared to my stores in Canterlot and Manehattan, but it's the one I'm most pleased with."

James stopped walking, and turned his head to her. He couldn't believe what he just heard.

"You run more than one of these?"

Rarity noticed a strap on a dress that was uneven, and she used her magic to straighten it while talking. "I own three, the other two are run by my good friends in the fashion world, who know what I and my fashion lines are about."

James lightly gasped, admiration sparkling in his eyes. Rarity chuckled.
"Don't get too excited yet darling, you haven't even eyed the stitches in my dresses yet!"

He went to gaze at the dress for a minute, then at Rarity as she walked over to the stairs.

"Come along now, I just might have something you could help with."

James shook his head to snap out of it, and joined Rarity. He spoke. "This is all just.. impressive. You've earned a lot."

Rarity nodded once.
"Hard work and creativity James. That's how I got here."

The next room he entered was messy but organized. So many rolls of colored fabric, jewels, sequins, everything a fashion designer would dream of. He gasped at the variety.

"It's like a room of design paints." He remembered the numerous times any engine was decorated for special occasions. It made him grin from ear to ear.

Rarity trotted over to the sowing machine and picked up a few blank pieces of thick art paper. She also levitated a pen into the mix.
"I knew you'd be impressed."

He noticed a pale green dress in progress on a mannequin. "This is something you're working on?"

He walked over to it, Rarity joining him.
She sighed. "Yes, but without a theme for the upcoming summer line, I can't find it's true form."

James stared at the dress in thought. "Hmm.."

"But that's why you're here." Rarity looked to James.

She levitated the pages in front of him.

"What do you think feels in? "Ocean Breeze Across Equestria" or "Melting Pastels"?"

James blinked, and for a moment pondered.

"..What about something like, "Inner Sun Colors?" It could be a line that expresses someone's true colors, the clothing could glow in the sun, and it would be a good reflection of a pony's personality."

Rarity was presently surprised at the suggestion, but liked it very quickly, staring to sketch a dress out on a blank paper.
"..That is a really good idea!"

James don't know what inspiration hit him, but he kept going and Rarity sketched the idea as he talked and trotted around the room.

"And-! And, maybe we could combine it with the melting pastels idea, other colors blending in and out, and eventually lining the edge of the dress or dripping off the dress, so to speak."

Rarity began to grin, nodding continuously. "Yes, yes! This is genius!"
She finished the sketch and showed it James with the same enthusiasm.
"I shall call this first piece, Illustrious Light Greenery!"

James was just as impressed with her sketching skills as he was with her dress making skills. Rarity had come up with a short two piece dress, complete with a small swirl ear piece.

Rarity levitated the work in progress dress over to the sowing machine, and some scissors.

"Have to get to work before it leaves you?" James chuckled as Rarity went over to the sowing machine.

"Exactly. You did good James."

Her complement made James proud.
"So, are you going to teach me how to make some fashionable clothing?" He asked, coming up next to her.

Rarity smiled, and floated the scissors to him. He took it with magic.

"I have much to teach, let's get going."


As the second day ended, more progress was made to the portal to take them home. It would only need a few more adjustments, and then they would be back to Sodor. But they weren't minding the wait.

Author's Note:

I don't know anything about fashion lol :rainbowlaugh: tho that wasn't exactly the point of the dialogue when I was writing it...
Anyways, I'll write you later!