• Published 4th Apr 2023
  • 149 Views, 0 Comments

Canterlot City Police: Major Crime Task Force - Shadow Storm 44



Canterlot City is on the fast path to becoming one of the most dangerous cites in the world. A special team is formed to keep the city safe

  • ...
 0
 149

Canterlot City

Storm stared at his bedroom ceiling. He's been doing this for almost an hour now. His body always did this to him. The few times a year, when Storm was able to get to bed at a decent hour or the neighbors weren't having a party going on in the early morning his body won't let him sleep in.

For the past hour, Storm was staring at his ceiling and he remembered the events from yesterday and the fallout that came with it.

Storm is a part of the Canterlot City Police Department. He was just given the role of investigator a week ago. He had his first case, a basic mugging that turned deadly.

Storm was able to track down the suspect, but the suspect was on his toes and made a break for it when he heard the police were lurking around his neighborhood.

During the chase, the mugger lost control of his car and crashed into a ditch. Nobody was hurt and the mugger was taken in with no injury. However, the department didn't see it that way and placed Storm on leave for a week and demoted him back to patrol.

Just thinking about it annoyed Storm. Sure there were a few things he could have done differently. Waiting for backup, not following to close, but the end result would most likely be the same. He just got out of prison and will do more time since he's a past offender on parole.

Storm's alarm clock went off as if it needed to chime in on Storm's anger. Like many times before Storm grabbed his alarm clock and chucked it at the wall. The alarm clock shut off after it’s impacted.

"Dammit," Storm muttered when he realized what he did. Getting up from his bed.

Luckily, the clock hit the dresser rather than the wall which is a plus. The clock itself works perfectly as if it had never been thrown at the dresser, or any other place Storm throw it at in his half-asleep state.

“Magical,” Storm muttered to himself again before placing the alarm clock back on his nightstand and begin getting ready for work. The clock was a gift from his mother when he started high school. She said these were indestructible. She was right.

After having a light breakfast and watching a few topics on the morning news, Storm grabbed the bag he packed the night before and headed out the door.

The route Storm took to work is both nostalgic and depressing. Storm had grown up in this neighborhood with his parents and younger sisters. Almost every landmark he passed was a good memory from his childhood, then he would see what it becomes over the years.

The playground he used to play at with his sisters and friends in the summer and weekends is now a hotspot for homeless and junkies to smoke, drink and shoot up. The basketball court he played at is constantly occupied by men selling drugs at night. By day it was filled with teenagers playing dice. A boarded-up store was the final sight. The once warm and inviting store is now boarded up with an empty parking lot. It looked more like a hunted house than the grocery store he once knew.

In a way, Storm’s neighborhood was lucky to have these few problems. It could have been like district 6 where robbers and thieves are common. Or like district 4 where going out at night is pretty much a death sentence. After the district riots, the city hasn’t been the same.

Ten minutes later Storm arrived at Precinct 17. One of the many precincts spread throughout the city.

Precinct 17 could be mistaken for a low-end office building if it wasn’t for the police cars out front and the large sign beside the building.

After changing into his uniform, Storm waited in the meeting room for roll call to start. A few guys stop by and greet him. They asked why he was there. When Storm explained they all laughed about it and welcomed him back.

“Look who it is,” A voice said behind him.

Storm turned around. A man wearing the same uniform with short dark hair stared back at him.

“Mr.Investigator what's wrong? Didn’t like your suit?”

Load Star graduated with Storm from the academy. Despite his carefree attitude and reckless nature, Star is a really good cop. He even was one of the top cadets in the academy. After the academy and their probation period ended Storm and Star were paired up almost every shift.

“Someone has to bail you out of trouble. Why not me?”

Star smiled and took the open seat next to Storm. “Heard about what happened. They really demoted you for that?”

Storm shrugged. “I have no regrets. It was in district 1 and you know who stuck up they are up there.”

While the two officers continued to talk the room started to fill up with officers awaiting the beginning of roll call.

Soon, Lieutenant Sapphire, The watch commander enters the room.

Sapphire was not someone you wanted to mess with if she was your watch commander. Sapphire earned her position as watch commander. Storm didn’t know when Sapphire joined the department exactly. It could have been a week before the district riots started.

“Alright, alright,” Sapphire said. “Today should be an easy day. Night shift had nothing to report for our areas, which is a god sent on a Saturday night in this city. The only thing I have is to keep an eye on the reckless drivers. That’s all, let’s have a good shift.”


Storm watched afternoon traffic from the passenger seat of the squad car while Star gulped his third soda of the day in the driver seat.

The day has been pretty mild. There were no calls for their area which was very uncommon being near downtown. During any other shift in this area, there would be a minor accident, a fight over a parking spot, or road rage. Sometimes it’s all three.

“I hate this area,” Storm muttered. “Why did we get assigned here.”

“What’s to hate?” Star asked. “We hardly got any calls today. Easy day.”

“I just hate the area we're in. Tight streets, crooked parking, and the idiots on bikes and scooters speeding on the sidewalk almost hitting people or getting hit by a car.”

“ALL AVAILABLE UNITS,” Dispatched said over the car radio. “THERE IS A POSSIBLE 10-31. ONE MALE DOWN. LOCATION: 5009 LONGWOOD DRIVE. WHO CAN RESPOND?”

“That’s 8 minutes away,” Star said. “Let’s take it.”

Storm grabbed the radio. “Unit 49 here, we’ll take that call.”

Star dropped his soda in the cupholder, turned on the engine, and turned the sirens on. “I’ll get us there in 3 minutes.”

Storm whispered a prayer. Not only was it because he was going to a crime-in-progress call. It’s because of Star’s driving.

If the phrase “driving like a bat out of hell,” was in the dictionary Star would be the perfect example. Star drives extremely fast, weaves around cars, and occasionally drifts on turns just for fun.

While Storm was scared he did enjoy it. Being in a car going at high speeds and watching things pass by in a blur is exciting. It was like those acting movies he watched with car chases. It would be better if they weren’t in a Durango.

The address was a building located in a strip mall. The parking lot was pretty much desired when they arrived. Nearing the building a man was on the ground with the trunk of a sliver SUV open.

“Unit 49 on scene. We have one male down. Send an ambulance to the location.” Storm dropped the radio. “Check that guy. I’ll check the store.”

“Right,” Star said.

Coming to a stop both officers got out of the car. Star checked the man on the ground while Storm enter the store.

The store looked to be a jewelry store. Rings and necklaces are in display cases shining the light as Storm staired. Many of them are way out of his price range.

The store looked untouched. Storm had seen jewelry store robberies before. The cases were smashed with multiple if not all of the jewelry taken. Most times they didn’t waste their time on the small stuff. They’d go after the big prize since police and security responded to these stores quickly.

The sound of something falling got Storm's attention. Storm approached slowly gripping the handle of his gun ready to draw at a moment's notice.

“CCPD,” Storm called out. “MAKE YOURSELF KNOWN.”

No reply. This was normal. When Storm shouted those words someone would call out for help, while some would surrender with their hands up, or a few would reply with gunshots.

Storm begin to advance when he heard the sounds of footsteps. Fast footsteps. A metal door being opened along with an ear-piercing alarm going off followed suit.

“Making a break for it,” Storm muttered. “What else is new?”

Storm ran down the hall and saw a metal door with an emergency exit sign on the door.

Storm pushed open the door to what was clearly the back alley. Stepping outside, an orange car driving at high speed was heading right for him. Not having enough time to shoot let alone aim Storm rushed back into the building just before the car hit him.

Storm got back on his feet. He poked his head out just in case any more cars were coming before stepping out again.

Storm spotted the back of the car driving out of the alley before going onto the main road.

“Damn!”

Backup arrived as well as the ambulance minutes behind. The paramedics wasted no time loading the man into the and rushing off to the hospital.

“Car waiting in a back alley,” Star said shaking his head. “Oldest trick in the book.”

“Punks almost hit me,” Storm muttered. “I could have taken a few shoots at him if the car was just a little further away.”

“But you didn’t,” Star reminded. “The paramedics said the old man isn’t likely. Just a bump on the head. He’ll be fine.”

“Well, that’s good.” A man said.

Storm recognized the voice immediately. Sure enough, Sergeant Buck Wild stood behind them.

Buck was similar to Storm. They both were born and raised in Canterlot City, former veterans of the army and shared similar hobbies.

“Hey Sergant,” Star greeted. “What brings you here?”

“Oh, you know. It’s a nice sunny day, the wind feels good and it’s the perfect day for a drive. You know what I’m here what happened?”

“Look’s like a robbery,” Storm begins. “The jewels in the case and cash register in the front of the store are untouched. The back office is a mess. They might have gone straight for that instead.”

“Any idea how many there were?”

“One maybe two,” Storm guessed. “I think I saw another person in the passenger seat of the car, but I wasn’t sure.”

“Please tell me this place has cameras.”

“They do,” Star confirmed. “It’s Sunday so that means none of the stores are open. The jewelry stores have them too, but no one knows the password to get in the computer to look at them.”

Buck clapped his hands together. “Great. I’ll stay back here and make everything is taken care of. You guys get back on the road and see if you can locate that car. I’ll relay all of this to Sapphire. She’s gonna love this.”


Storm sat at his kitchen table eating the dinner he picked up on the way home after work.

After the robbery call the rest of the day was spent searching for the car. Storm knew they weren't going to find that car. It had a 20-minute head start after all. Plus, the strip mall is right near the highway it could be in Brownwood by now. Not having much to go on besides the car, Storm and Star decided to continue their normal patrol till their shift was up.

They could have had a better sense of direction, even more information, and possible suspects if the stores were open, they could look at the security cameras. If they even worked.

Storm wondered if he was still an investigator would the case be given to him? Robberies weren't really his type of crime. Storm wanted to go after major crimes like arson, abduction, trafficking, and other kinds of that category. Robbery is pretty minor to him. Depending on what the stolen items are, how they were taken, and the victim's condition it would be a perfect first case for a rookie.

The sound of the breaking news music from the TV caught his attention.

“A jewelry store has been the latest target in the string of robberies that plague District 3. This marks the 3rd robbery this week for the district alone. We now go live to the Hospital to replay the message from the store owner who had this to say.”

The old man from the store appeared on the screen. He sat on a hospital bed wearing the same clothes he had on when Storm and Star found him. A large bandage covers his left front head.

“It's at this neighborhood has gone down this road,” He begins. “I've lived here my whole life. I've raised my kids here. There were times when our kids could play and spend time with friends and we don't have to worry. Now going to the corner store or getting gas is a matter of life or death. I asked the police for help. These rubber took something very precious for me. Please find who was responsible.”

The screen turned back to the newscaster.

“Police have refused to comment on the situation. Crime has been on a slow yet alarming rise in the past few months. The crime rate jumped after the…”

Storm turned the TV off. Storm was already angry about the suspect slipping through his fingers and nearly hitting him with a car. He didn't need to hear a person commenting on what he should have done or past actions that he took no part in.

He wasn't surprised though. The news always does this. They find or hear something about pretty much anything and then they would make their own assumption about it. They do anything to sell a story to progress their career even if it's all lies.

“Give them an inch they’ll take a mile” Storm muttered to himself.

Annoyed by how the day went. Storm didn’t have the energy to stay up any longer. He wrapped up what he hadn’t finished eating, stuck it in the fridge, and headed to bed for the night.


“Listen up,” Sapphire barked the second she came into the room.

The room went silent immediately. Storm knew this wasn't going to be a pleasant roll call. Something must have happened last night or someone is going to get chowed out in a couple of minutes.

“Some of you might not know, we had a robbery yesterday during our shift,” She begin. “They got away with some special jewels that the owner cherishes. The only lead we have is the suspects fled in an orange car. Unknown make unknown model and no license place number. Find that car this is everyone’s number one priority for the day. Get to it.”

Everyone begin to leave Storm and Star were one of them when she called out to them.

“Storm, Star hang back for a second.” Sapphire waited till everyone left the room. “You two were the first on the scene at the robbery yesterday right?”

“Yeah, we were,” Star confirmed.

Sapphire sighed. “Look guys this is going to sound wired so I’m just going to come out and say it. You two have been given the temporary position of investigator. This case is all yours now.”

Strom waited for Sapphire to explain more about why they were given this position. It never came.

“Why,” Storm thought. “Who would do this? Where is this coming from? Why me? Is this some kind of a joke?”

“LT,” Star said. “Who’s idea was this? I understand Storm getting this because he had the position before at one point, but why me? I didn’t even that the exam to be an investigator.”

Sapphire shook her head. “As I said, I don’t know who or where this is coming from. My guess is since you two work together and our precinct is low on investigators you two were the best option.”

Again, Storm and Star were speechless. This whole situation is strange, Storm didn't mind having Star as his partner, but who would have the power to do this besides the police commissioner?

Sapphire sighed. “Look, I understand this either. I'm still trying to wrap my head around this as well. Just do till I same otherwise got it?”

Storm and Star looked at each other before looking back at Sapphire and nodding.

During the drive to the hospital, Storm was still trying to think of who would give him this temporary promotion.

“Still thinking about it huh?” Star asked on speakerphone.

Since they were playing from behind they decided to split up. Storm would talk to the owner while Star went back to the strip mall to check the cameras.

“I have many questions and no answers even close to logical,” Storm said.”Aren’t you curious about this? You had the same face as me when Sapphire told us about this.“

“Oh I am curious,” Star admitted. “I’m in the same boat as you, all questions no answers. What I do know is that whoever chose us to do this saw something in one if not both of us. We might find out if we solve this thing.”

Star may have a point. Stuff like this just doesn’t happen randomly. There has to be a reason behind it. Will they get an answer if they solve it? Maybe. Will they get an answer if they fail? Maybe not. One thing is for sure to Storm, if he gets the evidence, he will get his guy.

“I’ve arrived at the strip mall,” Star announced. “I’ll start my search. Let me know how your end goes.”

“Sure thing.” Storm hung up.

Storm arrived at the hospital a short time later. A nurse leads him to the room. Inside the jewelry store owner was sitting up in bed with a woman who looked to be the same age as Storm more or less.

Storm hoped he had more information about what happened. That’s the plan for questioning someone for any type of crime. They could give information that Storm never have thought of.

“Can I help you?” The woman asked.

“My name is Shadow Storm. I’m here to ask questions about yesterday.”

“What are you a cop?” She asked.

Storm showed his badge. “Yes, I am. I was one of the two who found him.

“It’s fine Sunny.” He said. “My name is Quil. I own the jewelry shop.”

“Mr.Quil, can you tell me what happened?”

“I was loading up some paperwork in my car. When someone pushed me from behind my head hit the trunk of my car when he did. He grabbed my keys and went inside.”

“How long were you out?”

“I never was. It was about six minutes before you two showed up. I used the emergency call button on my phone. I would have gonna up if I was a bit younger.”

“I noticed the display cases in the front of the store were untouched. It looked like they head straight for the back office.”

“Yes. They didn’t waste their time with the small stuff. Heading straight to the back office. They took the safe that I kept there. It was an Anti-Bandit safe. Had it for years. It has a Crystal Prep sticker on it.

“Do you have any idea who did it? Formal employees or somebody with a grudge?”

“I douth it was an employee former or current. I’m on good turns with all of them. As for the grudge I highly douth that as well. The jewelry here isn’t really that expensive or nice.”

Storm looked over his notes. He got answers to everything he asked.

“Alright, I asked everything I needed,” Storm took out a card with the CCPD tip line number on it. “If anything comes to mind or something happens please call this number.”

Quil took the card. “I will, thank you.”

Storm looked through his notes as we waited for the elevator. Mr.Quil was putting papers in his trunk, the attacker must have shoved him into the trunk and taken the keys to the shop. Then he made a beeline to the back office, trashed it till he found the safe, and went to the car in the back alley.

It seemed right. Everything added up from Mr.Quil being on the ground and the office being ransacked. If everything went well on Star’s end then the chances of finding who did this increase.

As if right on cue. Storm got a call from Star.

“Yeah,” Storm answered.

“So, I just finished checking all the store cameras. Along with the parking lot cameras.” Star said.

“Find anything useful?”

“Very useful. These guys should be in the running for the world's dumbest criminals. Or the detectives before us were just lazy and not doing their job. Might be the second one.”

“Is it that clear cut?”

“I reviewed the footage from the stores and parking lot. These fools didn’t even try to hide their faces and were hanging around the parking lot for the longest time in the car they used.”

“There’s no way they’re that stupid,” Storm said clearly dumbfounded. “People hang out in the parking lot all the time. Are you sure it’s even them?

“Well here’s the thing. If you didn’t know this is the 3rd or 4th robbery this week. I went back into the database to see the others. Every single one of them has the same MO.”

“Let me guess. Blindside the victim, taking what they want from the location, and speed off in an orange car?”

“Correct. How’d you know?” Star asked.

Storm flipped closed his notepad. “Lucky guess. Do you know where they are by chance?”

“As a matter of fact, I do. The car’s plates in the DMV system gave me an address to a now abandoned house. Buck is already there and confirmed that the car is there parked in front of the house. Along with many others cars and people, who he recognized from a wanted list going into the house.”

“This really is like an episode of the world's dumbest criminals. I’m on my way.”


Storm parked the squad car a few blocks down from the location. A squad car parking near a supposed abandoned house with multiple cars and people on a police wanted list will cause quite a problem.

Luckily, Storm had causal clothes on and blinded in with a small crowd hanging out at the small park across the street.

A beach just on the edge of the park had a pretty good view of the abandoned house. Storm sat down and pretended to use his radio as a phone to stay updated on the plan.

“ALL TEAMS WE HAVE CONFIRMED THAT MULTIPLE PERSONS OF INTEREST ARE IN THE LOCATION. ALL MARKED UNITS FALL BACK TO AVOID SPOOKING THEM. HTR IS ON THE WAY.”

Storm replied along with Buck, Star, and another officer. They agreed to fall back and wait for HTR to show up.

Eight minutes later two gray vans parked a few yards away from the target house both of them clearly police vans with HTR officers inside ready to pounce on a moment's notice.

There was a solid five minutes of silence till a calm, but urgent “Take them.” came over the radio.

The back doors of both vans opened simultaneously and a group of HTR officers wearing body armor and carrying AR and SMG weapons got out and stacked up by the door.

“POLICE!!!” The lead officer shouted before breaking down the door with a battering ram.

The officers rushed in the second the door was rammed open. Shouting could be heard as the officers continued to enter the house from the front door.

Storm along with bystanders in the park stared at the scene unfolding right in front of them. Some of them even pull out their phones and started recording it. It’s not every day a raid happens in your neighborhood let alone it being your neighbor.

Storm heard the sound of an old car starting up. There were no other cars on the street besides the few trucks that clearly had no one inside of them.

Just like in an action movie, the same orange car from yesterday drove through the fence of the side yard and floored it down the street out of the neighborhood.

Storm gave chase after it, but it was clear we weren’t going to catch it. Deja vu.

Storm thought about booking it to his car to continue the chase. Appearing from pretty much out of nowhere Star pulled up beside Storm in his own marked car.

“Get in,” Star said through the window.

The second Storm sat down in the passenger seat, Star hit the gas. Storm was able to close the door just before it hit a light pole.

“Where the heck did you come from?” Storm asked.

“Just got here. When I heard the order for HTR to move in I started heading here. Good thing I did too.” The orange car came into view. “Is that the same car? The one that rammed the fence.”

“Yeah, get him,” Storm ordered.

Star cracked his neck. “You got it. Hold on.”

Star started to pick up speed to catch up to the suspect vehicle. The police lights and sirens ordered the few cars on the road to yield for the car as Star continued to gain ground on the vehicle.

The car is definitely the same one from yesterday. Whether the driver was a part of the jewelry store robbery is still unknown. What Storm did know is that the driver is evading arrest. He really doesn’t want to go to jail. Little does he know he’s making it worst himself.

As expected from Star’s driving the orange car is back in view. They’ve reached speeds up to 50 mph in residential areas. After a while, it was clear the driver was trying to get on the highway.

“He’s heading straight for the highway,” Star remarked. “Is that a good or bad thing?”

“This time of day in this area, traffic will be pretty heavy getting on the highway. However, the way this guy is driving I don’t want to take that risk.” Storm said. “He could kill someone or himself.”

“Got any ideas,” Star asked still focused on the road. “This might be our best chance now.”

“Besides shooting out his tires I basically have no other ideas.” Storm offhandedly.

“Great idea,” Star said. “I’ll get you close.”

Storm yelled at himself inside his head. He should know by now not to say anything stupid as an idea because there’s a high chance Star will go for it every single time.

The road around them is clear from both citizens and cars at the moment. This really might be the best chance to stop the pursuit with minimum to no damage.

Weighting the other options and what might happen Storm agreed. Storm took out his gun, rolled down the window, and leaned out pointing his gun at the back tires of the getaway car.

“Hold it study,” Storm called out.

They were about a car length away now. The exit to the highway was coming into view. This was Storm’s best chance to take the shot. Finger on the trigger Storm took aim at the left back tire.

Before he could shoot a loud pop came from the tire Storm was aiming for. The back tire blow out and the car started to lose control. The car begins to fishtail all over the road before slamming head-first into a light pole. The drive door popped wide open from the impact.

“That’s gotta hurt,” Star commented when he came to a stop behind the car. “I’ll get the driver.”

Storm didn’t reply. He got out of the car with his weapon still in hand, pointing it at the crashed car. “Go. I got you covered.”

Star walked to the getaway car. With his own gun in hand. The suspect put his hands up knowing he’s been caught.

“Head there buddy,” Star greeted. “Looks like your car lost control.”

Star pulled out the man who look to be in his late 20s or early 30s.

Storm did a quick look around the car and noticed the trunk was slightly open. Storm opened the trunk and saw a black Anit-Bandit safe inside with a Crystal Prep sticker.

“Got him.”


“A surprise raid on a supposedly abandoned house by police uncovers over 10,000 dollars of stolen items ranging from electronics to high price objects. Arrests were made as well, two of them are believed to…”

Sapphire pushed the mute button on the laptop on her desk cutting off the newscaster.

“Fast work,” She said. “You’ve solved your assigned case along with finding a location full of other stolen objects and wanted suspects. This is a great hall.”

“All in a day's work,” Storm said leaning back in his chair. “However, I feel like you need to tell us something else.”

Sapphire nodded. “While this is a big win for us. Many still have a negative outlook on this. Statements from residents in the neighborhood said they’ve complained about that house for months now and nothing was done about it. Also, others said we took our sweet time finding the muggers and robbers.”

“I blame their security group for the house thing,” Star said. “As for the muggers, I’ve seen the reports. Unless it’s an aggravated or assault robbery it’s gonna be put at the bottom of the pile. It’s not urgent.”

“Not to mention it was distinct 5 and 6,” Sapphire added. “They don’t call 911 there.”

“I’m aware,” Storm acknowledged. “So, I guess were back on patrol next shift?”

“That brings the other reason I brought you two here. It seems that the higher-ups liked what they saw out of you two today.”

“So we're staying investigators?” Star asked.

“Something like that,” Sapphire muttered. “Storm, as of this moment you are the leader of a major crime unit that will go after major targets or major events.”

“I’m flattered,” Storm admitted. “But, we solved one case that wasn’t difficult or highly profiled. This is jumping the gun.”

"This isn't coming from me," Sapphire said. "You’ll have to ask the higher-ups not me. You'll have a meeting with them next week. Till then hold all of your questions."

Author's Note:

To who it may concern I have returned. What do you think of the new series? Yeah, this chapter was a bit dull and maybe anticlimactic. Ok, it was totally anticlimactic, beginnings aren't my strong suit. I'll get better I promise. Stay tuned for more if you want.

P.S Is it role call or roll call? I spent a whole hour thinking about it. I don't think I used it right.