• Published 15th Feb 2023
  • 282 Views, 10 Comments

Moondancer's Memories - InfiniteDreams

  • ...
0
 10
 282

The truth

On Sunday afternoon, Moondancer and Sugarcoat sat at the ice cream shop near the Canterlot Mall. Moondancer was having mint chocolate chip, her favourite, and Sugarcoat had chosen just plain vanilla. They sat down outside, as it was a very nice day. There were some other restaurants nearby. Moondancer took a spoon of her ice cream, then looked over at Sugarcoat.

“I still can’t believe your favourite ice cream is just vanilla,” she said.

“I prefer vanilla with marshmallows,” Sugarcoat elaborated. “I’m very disappointed that they ran out.”

“Well, mine is excellent,” Moondancer said. It wasn’t just the ice cream, though. It was the feeling of being downtown, having the afternoon out with a great friend. She decided not to call Sour or Sunny and wait for them to reach out to her, and all she had gotten was a text from Sunny Flare.

“So, how is Sour Sweet feeling?” Sugarcoat asked, glancing around.

Moondancer sighed. “She’s feeling better, but not enough to go out anywhere. She’s lost her voice, so she can’t talk on the phone. And Sunny could only text me, because Sour Sweet was sleeping. I don’t know why she didn’t just go in another room.”

“They’re very strange,” Sugarcoat said. “And they’ve been friends for a long time. If you notice, they’re rarely apart from each other, especially in school.”

“Yeah,” Moondancer agreed. She has been noticing that a lot more recently. “Maybe it’s just hard for them to accept me, but they were so nice at first.”

“And what was your first time meeting them like?” Sugarcoat questioned.

“It was my first day in school,” Moondancer explained. “Sour Sweet was a bit…sour, but later she apologized and she and Sunny talked to me about class.”

Sugarcoat didn’t hesitate to share her thought. “Moondancer, I think they’re using you.”

“No, they’re not,” Moondancer immediately denied, though she wasn’t completely sure.

“It makes sense,” Sugarcoat told her. “You’re blinded by friendship.”

“I asked them!” Moondancer exclaimed, still trying to defend her friends. “I asked them one day if they would still be friends with me if I stopped helping them, and the answer was yes.” She stopped for a moment, placing her ice cream on the table and looking around, debating whether to say what she was thinking or not. “Maybe you’re jealous of my friendship with them.”

“Believe me, Moondancer,” Sugarcoat began, getting up and grabbing her purse. “There’s nothing to be jealous of. You’ll see what I mean.” She took her ice cream cup and walked off towards the parking lot.

“Where are you going?” Moondancer called, but Sugarcoat was already gone. Moondancer sighed, regretting what she had said. She turned around to toss her empty ice cream cup, but what she saw made her stop and gasp. At the restaurant just across the street, sat Sunny Flare and Sour Sweet. “What the heck?”

“Told you so!” Sugarcoat called as she got in her car.

Moondancer couldn’t believe it. Sugarcoat knew! That was why she brought it up in the first place! She looked back over and the girls were still there, it looked like they had yet to order. She had some time. Moondancer crossed the street and stayed out of their sight, hiding around the corner. It was fairly busy, but she could hear their voices, at least. She would never eavesdrop normally, but she had to know what was going on. And if they weren’t going to tell her, then this was the last option.

The 2 girls didn’t say much until they received their food. Sunny had gotten a slice of pizza, and Sour Sweet had gotten spaghetti. As the waitress was about to leave, Sour stopped her.

“Hey! This spaghetti is inedible!” she exclaimed. “There is so much sauce, I can’t even- ugh! It’s awful!”

“No offense,” the waitress replied. “But you asked for extra sauce-”

“Well, not like only sauce!” Sour cut her off. “There are like 2 noodles in here! I need a new one, or your reviews online are gonna suck. I have several accounts.”

Moondancer gasped, unable to believe how horribly Sour Sweet was treating the girl. She could see how upset the waitress was, and she looked to be around the same age as them.

“Okay, sorry about that,” the girl said as she picked up the plate of what looked like perfect spaghetti, and returned inside the building. After a minute, Sunny started eating, and Sour tapped her foot impatiently. Moondancer was about to go up and talk to them, but Sour Sweet finally spoke up.

“How’s your homework coming?” she asked Sunny.

“Not very good,” Sunny replied.

“Well?” Sour said, looking around, then lowering her voice just in case. “Just call that girl and get some help!”

“Moondancer? I don’t know, I think she may be onto us,” Sunny said. Moondancer’s heart sank. “Yesterday, on the phone I made up a story about you being sick and going to the emergency room. Then she asked me if we went anywhere else and I said no, and then she hung up on me.”

“I told you I thought I saw her at the café,” Sour argued.

“I know, I forgot, okay?” Sunny replied.

“But she’s still friends with us, right?” Sour asked. “I mean, in her point of view anyway.”

Sunny Flare laughed. “Yeah, for a minute there, I thought you were worried about her. No way, we’re her only good friends. We’re all she has in this place. I just like to space out the homework questions so she doesn’t get suspicious.”

“That’s smart,” Sour said. “Our grades really have improved since she started helping us out. But I just cannot be seen out with her, you know? She’s not pretty, and those glasses are just the worst.” Moondancer’s heart was shattered.

“Yeah, right?” Sunny laughed with her. “Well, I’m running out of excuses to keep her away when we don’t need her, so we need to come up with something.”

Nothing else was said after that for about 5 minutes. Moondancer tried to hold back the tears, but it was no use. She was completely right, and she didn’t even want to be. It had been going on forever. They never liked her at all, but actually hearing the words…that was the worst. She wanted to run home and just cry, and never talk to anyone again. But she didn’t. She had to face them, and put an end to everything.

Moondancer slowly approached the table, wiping tears from her eyes. The 2 girls were looking at their phones, and didn’t even notice her. “Um…”

The 2 girls gasped and turned around, looking absolutely shocked to see her. They were quiet for a minute.

“H-hi Moondancer!” Sunny spoke up, completely flustered. “What a weird coincidence, what a small world it is! I didn’t expect to see you here today!” she laughed nervously.

“How long have you been here?” Sour asked.

“…the whole time.”

The 2 girls looked at each other, instantly feeling guilty for their words. Sour Sweet couldn’t make eye contact with Moondancer again, but Sunny looked directly at her, looking like she was about to cry herself…but not from heartbreak. Rather, from being caught.

“I know everything,” Moondancer choked out, new tears flowing. “How…how could you?”

“Moondancer, dearie,” Sunny got up and approached her, thinking she could still fix this somehow. “We just-”

“No!” Moondancer cried, stepping back. “No more! I don’t want to hear it! There is no way you can explain and there is no way I’ll ever trust you again! I- I…” There were no words left to say. There was no way to explain how she felt right now, and it wouldn’t matter to them even if there was. She couldn’t even look at them anymore, and ran away sobbing. The girls may have tried calling to her, but she didn’t hear them.

Sunny gave up and sat down at the table, looking at the ground.

“Well, now you done it!” Sour yelled. “How are we supposed to get ahead now?!”

“I’ll think of something.”

Moondancer ran down the sidewalk, tears clouding her vision. Her house was just 10 minutes away; she could make it. Right now, she just had to make it home safely…and never go out again. As she slowed her pace a little bit, still making sure to be careful when crossing the street, she noticed a few people looking at her strangely. She could care less at the moment, though. Her life was ruined. How could she ever go to Crystal Prep again, or make another friend again? She wouldn’t. She never, ever wanted this to happen again.

She finally made it home, opening the door and slamming it closed, getting the attention of her parents in the living room.

“Hey, sweetie,” her dad called to her. She couldn’t face them now, running past and up the staircase. “Hey, who are you running from?”

“Moondancer, what’s the matter?”

Moondancer heard her mom call to her distantly as she slammed her door shut, and flopped on the bed, still sobbing. Sunny Flare and Sour Sweet’s words replayed in her mind, over and over.

“She’s not pretty, and those glasses are just the worst.”

She took off her glasses and threw them on the floor, collapsing back on the bed. She stared at the ceiling, trying to calm her breath. This wouldn’t make anything better, that’s what she tried to convince herself. It was over. Suddenly, there was a knock on the door, bringing her out of her thoughts.

“Moony? Are you alright?” her mom called to her. Moondancer heard another knock, and then someone trying to open the locked door handle. She sniffled, rubbing her eyes with a tissue, then getting up slowly and walking to the door. After a moment, she opened the door and saw her parents outside, worry plastered all over their faces. Seeing them so concerned about her made her start crying again, and caused her mom to hug her tightly.

“Tell us what’s wrong,” her dad said.

“Just give her a minute,” her mom told him. “I’m sure it’s got to do with what I was telling you,” she whispered.

~.~.~.~.~.~

Moondancer sat with her parents on the bed in her room, her eyes red from crying. Her mom handed her another tissue and she wiped her eyes. Finally, she felt ready to open up.

“It’s…it’s those girls,” she started. “Sunny Flare and Sour Sweet, they… they don’t like me.”

“What happened?” her mom asked. “What did they do?”

Moondancer took a deep breath. “They…they only made friends with me, so…so I would help them with studying. I’ve kind of known it for a while but I just didn’t want to admit it. I always made excuses for them but there’s no excuse now. I don’t know what I’m going to do.”

“They don’t deserve to be friends with a special girl like you,” her mom told her, looking into her eyes. “Okay?”

“I don’t ever want to make friends again,” Moondancer sobbed. “I’m done.”

“Now don’t talk like that,” her dad said. “There are a lot of good people out there.”

“No!” Moondancer shouted.

“We should give her some time to get over this,” her mom told him.

“I will never get over it,” Moondancer shook her head, looking down. “They betrayed me. I’ve had it. I’m never, ever going to have another friend. I promise.”

~.~.~.~.~.~

Moondancer was lying in her bed that night, wide awake. It was almost 11:00, and she hadn’t slept a wink. She studied for a while in the evening, and that took her mind off things but only for the moment. This was going to last for a long time.

She didn’t need friends. She was good enough on her own. She would put all of her time into her own life and her own studies, and no one would hurt her ever again.

~.~.~.~.~.~

The next day was a Monday, which meant Moondancer had to go back to Crystal Prep. She wasn’t looking forward to seeing Sunny Flare or Sour Sweet, but she would just avoid them if they came up to her.

“Moony!” Sunny called out to her from across the hallway. “Please listen to us!” Sunny and Sour ran up to her, but she looked down at the book she was holding.

“Stay away from me,” she said defensively. “I have things to do.”

“We’re so sorry,” Sunny apologized. “I know there is no excuse for the way we talked about you but we really do miss you, I promise.”

“Yeah, like your promise means anything,” Moondancer raised her voice as she looked at them for the first time. “You are liars, now leave me alone.” She walked away from them, not looking back. There was no way she would ever trust them again. As she reached her locker, she saw Sugarcoat at her own, just down the hallway.

“Sugarcoat…” Moondancer started. “You were right about them.”

“I know,” Sugarcoat said. “So, would you still like to be friends?”

Moondancer thought for a moment. Sugarcoat hadn’t done anything to her, but friendship was not something she was ready for at this point. “I’m sorry, but I think I’m going to be taking a good long break from friendship,” Moondancer explained. Sugarcoat nodded, not saying anything. She went back to organizing her books, not seeming too affected by it. Moondancer picked up her books and headed to class early, so she could find a seat far away from Sour Sweet and Sunny Flare.

Finally, she could focus on herself.

🌙✨🌙✨🌙✨🌙✨🌙✨