• Published 15th Dec 2023
  • 845 Views, 6 Comments

The Setting of Two Suns - LZjian79



magical geodes missing? Midnight Sparkle is back? Human Sunset's first appearance? How will the Mane 7 solve all of these?

  • ...
1
 6
 845

Chapter 1: Troubled minds

Inside a sumptuous penthouse nestled in the heart of Manehattan City, a woman stood before an elegant desk, her eyes locked onto the luminous glow of her laptop screen. Across the screen, a bespectacled man engaged her in a video call, his voice a blend of sternness and concern.

"Could you please elucidate why your presence is now conspicuous on platforms like YouSaddle, SnapGab, and MyStable, especially considering your prior inclination towards maintaining a low profile? Furthermore, what strategies do you intend to employ to ascend to the position of CEO within your family's company amidst this heightened attention? How do you envision accomplishing this goal while being scrutinized by an attentive audience?"

The woman, initially captivated by her laptop's screen, turned her attention to the websites the man mentioned. A deluge of articles and videos had inundated her digital space. She clicked on the video at the top of the list and began to watch.

A resounding news anchor announced, "Behold, the leader of the Rainbooms!"

A girl with vibrant rainbow-hued hair playfully interjected, "Hey! I thought I was the leader?!"

Another girl, freckled and exuding a charming farmgirl persona, let out an exasperated groan. "For the umpteenth time, Dash, no siree, you're plum not!"

"There is no leader among us." said a girl with a tangle of unruly red and yellow hair.

The rainbow-haired girl sighed in frustration. "They've clearly referred to you as the—oh, never mind."

The heroic girls on the screen, identified as "the heroes," engaged in an animated discussion, playfully scolding the rainbow-haired girl who loitered in the background. The news reporter then extended her microphone toward the girl with the fiery red-yellow hair. As the woman watched the broadcast, she found herself in a state of shock.

The red-yellow-haired girl spoke into the microphone, declaring, "We've made a solemn vow to protect Canterlot City, no matter the challenges. Be it dark magic or any other threat, we will do everything within our power to stop it.”

The woman perused the various articles, chronicling the exploits of these half-pony girls who had saved Canterlot City from impending doom and highlighting their heroic deeds and the mysterious magical occurrences within the city. The man reappeared on the screen, his tone unwavering.

"What prompted your presence in the rather ordinary and unremarkable city of Canterlot, Sunset? Furthermore, how did you find yourself entangled in this curious amalgamation of magical heroism? I earnestly request a thorough and comprehensive explanation," he insisted, his resolve unwavering.

The woman replied, her voice tinged with confusion and disbelief, "This individual on the screen, it's not me," still bewildered by the uncanny resemblance between herself and the red-haired girl on screen. "It's someone who bears a striking resemblance to me. I find it exceedingly difficult to grasp. It seems... implausible."

"We simply cannot permit these headlines to besmirch our esteemed reputation," the man asserted. "I fervently hope for these issues to be promptly resolved."

The woman hesitated but opened MyStable, typing her name cautiously. She expected not to find an account there, yet her name and image appeared on the platform. It was unquestionably her, and yet, it wasn't her at all—a perplexing duality. She clicked on the profile and was met with the words, "the hero of Canterlot and leader of the Rainbooms, Sunset Shimmer." Absurd as it seemed, she couldn't deny the striking resemblance between herself and this enigmatic girl.

"Sunset?" The man's voice broke her reverie.

She sighed, her emotions conflicting. "Kindly grant me a week's respite to address this matter."

"Understood. We cannot allow our reputation to be tarnished by these news articles. While I may not fully grasp the complexities of the situation, I entrust you to swiftly uncover a solution."

"Understood... Uncle."

The call ended, leaving the woman to confront the relentless news articles on her laptop, all featuring a girl with her face and her stolen identity.

"Yellow."

A butler with a complexion like pale sunshine, an elaborate mustache, and black hair adorned with striking white streaks, elegantly dressed in traditional butler's attire, entered the room. "Yes, m'lady?"

"Fetch my coat."

The butler promptly retrieved her pristine white coat, elegantly embroidered with the Everton Academy emblem on its breast pocket, and assisted her in putting it on.

"May I inquire, m'lady, as to our destination for the day?"

The woman's countenance grew even colder. "I have the intention to rendezvous with my doppelgänger, the one who resides in Canterlot City."


Weeks had drifted by since the devastating attack by Sombra, leaving the city in a state of reconstruction. Sunset Shimmer and her friends were slowly recuperating from their injuries sustained during the last battle.

One bright morning, bathed in the golden rays of the sun, Sunset and Pinkie Pie found themselves in the charming atmosphere of the Sweet Snacks Café. The day was still young, and the cafe was relatively quiet, allowing the few customers present to relax and enjoy their treats in peace. However, Sunset was not sharing the same sense of contentment. She sat in a secluded corner, her face buried in her hands, exuding an air of despondency.

Their high school graduation had come and gone a few months earlier, and it was starting to weigh on Sunset's mind. She felt a growing unease about her future. While she was currently juggling part-time jobs to make ends meet, the money she was earning was far from enough to cover her college tuition for the future. The real question, however, was whether she even knew what she wanted to study or pursue.

Despite her considerable talents in various areas, Sunset remained uncertain about her path. The dreams she had nurtured since her youth—of becoming a powerful princess like Princess Celestia and ruling Equestria—had evolved and changed.

As Sunset was lost in her thoughts, her contemplation was interrupted by Pinkie Pie, who waved her finger in front of Sunset's face.

"SUNSET!" Pinkie exclaimed. "Have you heard about the new candy shop in town?" She thrust her phone in front of Sunset, displaying a picture of the enticing store. "It just opened two days ago, and I didn't even get a notification! We have to go there soon!"

Sunset gazed at Pinkie with a troubled expression. "Yeah," she responded with a distant tone. "We should definitely check it out sometime."

Concern flickered in Pinkie's eyes as she probed further. "Hey, is everything okay?"

Sunset Shimmer let out a heavy sigh, her face reflecting her inner turmoil. "I'm not sure what to do now. I've finished high school, but I'm uncertain about going to college. It seems like everyone else is already on their way to building their futures."

"Twilight, for instance, aspires to become an engineer-scientist and is planning to attend Everton University. Applejack wants to deepen her knowledge of farming and baking right here in Canterlot. Rainbow is gearing up for a career in professional sports. Rarity is opening her own boutique. Fluttershy, meanwhile, has always had a passion for veterinary medicine and is already self-studying. And you, Pinkie, are pursuing courses in party planning and baking. Then there's me, who's struggling to figure out what I want."

Sunset slumped forward, resting her head on the table and emitting a despondent groan.

Pinkie's eyes twinkled with enthusiasm. "There are so many exciting things you can explore, Sunset! You could be a rock star or maybe dabble in pastries with me, hmm, although I know you're not too fond of them, but hey! The possibilities are endless!"

Suddenly, Twilight Sparkle entered the café, approaching their table. "Rainbow lost her geode this morning."

"Again?" Sunset questioned.

"I know, we've warned her countless times about keeping it safe, but she's not listening," Twilight said, crossing her arms. "Typical Rainbow Dash."

"Did she misplace it in her room again, or worse, in the sports area?" Pinkie mused, "Because it would be a real challenge to find it there."

Twilight gently massaged her temples, a pensive frown furrowing her brow. "She claims her geode vanished this morning, right from her nightstand, next to her lava lamp."

Sunset furrowed her brow as well. "I hope she finds it soon. You never know when we might need to deal with equestrian magic again."

Twilight remained silent, choosing to sit beside Pinkie, her gaze steady on Sunset's eyes.

"Is something on your mind, Twilight?" Sunset inquired.

A fleeting, nervous smile appeared on Twilight's lips. "Oh, uh, it's nothing," she stammered.

Pinkie observed them both, her infectious enthusiasm barely contained. "I know just the thing to lift your spirits! How about a generous bowl of delicious ice cream, decked out with sweet sprinkles and delectable toppings? I'll fetch it right away!"

Without waiting for a response, Pinkie Pie sprang from her seat and dashed to the nearby counter to secure the ice cream, leaving the two other girls with lingering concerns etched on their faces.

"I..." they began almost simultaneously, then shared an astonished look before breaking into laughter.

Sunset chuckled. "You go first."

"No, you."

"Alright then."

Sunset Shimmer reiterated her concerns, expressing her uncertainty regarding her post-high school plans. She openly shared her desire to discover a meaningful path and her anxiety about saving enough money to cover the monumental tuition fees for her future college education, which her part-time jobs couldn't fully offset, despite her diligent efforts.

Twilight listened attentively, her heart going out to her friend on the brink of tears. "It's undoubtedly a challenging situation. Maybe take some time to explore your options. Scholarships could be within reach if you work hard for them, and saving a portion of your part-time earnings might help with college expenses."

"But..." Sunset began hesitantly, "is it worth it?"

"Why wouldn't it be?"

"I... I kind of miss my old world," Sunset muttered, her gaze drifting to her lap.

Just as the conversation was getting more serious, Pinkie returned with a massive bowl of ice cream, placing it in front of the two girls.

"I'm back!" she squealed. "I ordered the family-sized one so we can share it! Oh, sorry, did I interrupt something?"

Sunset smiled at Pinkie. "Not at all, Pinkie. Thanks for the ice cream."

"My pleasure! It's all on me, thanks to my discount from when I used to work here."

The trio dug into their ice cream, savoring each bite.

"So, Twilight," Sunset began, "what's on your mind?"

Twilight Sparkle glanced at her own scoop, hesitating. She didn't want to burden Sunset with her troubles when she was already grappling with her own.

Twilight managed a faint smile. "It's not important."

Sunset studied her response carefully but decided to honor her friend's wishes. "Alright," she said, gently placing her hand on top of Twilight's and offering a reassuring smile. "But if you ever feel like talking about it," she continued, "I'm here for you."

After finishing their treat, they left the diner.

"I'll see you later," Sunset said. "I need to check on Rainbow and her missing geode."

"Sure, Sunset," Pinkie replied. "Let's plan to visit that new candy shop soon!"

"Sounds great, Pinkie! And see you later, Twilight! I've got to run!"

With Sunset Shimmer gone, Pinkie and Twilight strolled together along the bustling sidewalk of a busy intersection. Pinkie Pie chattered away about the candy shop when Twilight suddenly flinched and covered her eyes.

Concerned, Pinkie rushed to her side. "Are you okay, Twilight?"

"Yeah, I think so. Just some dirt in my eye..."

As Pinkie comforted her, her eyes focused on a distant figure, a red-haired woman not far from them.

"Wait... is that...?" Pinkie squinted. "Is that... Sunset?"

Twilight looked in the direction Pinkie was staring and saw a woman who resembled Sunset, but something was off.

"I thought she was going to Rainbow Dash's house. Why is she still here, and why does she look different?"

“Sunshim!” Pinkie excitedly waved at the figure and rushed to embrace them. "Silly Sunset! We thought you were with Rainbow already. And when did you cut your hair? And what's with this attire you're wearing? Are you going to a party without us?!"

The woman turned to Pinkie with confusion and coldness in her eyes. "Do I know you?"

Pinkie stepped back, her excitement fading. She glanced at the woman who looked like Sunset and then walked back to Twilight. Both girls were genuinely puzzled, having initially believed that it was Sunset.

The woman in the white suit adjusted her coat and regarded them with a cold expression. "I have no recollection of cultivating any friendships. May I inquire, Who is this 'Sunshim' you alluded to?”

A man, out of breath, rushed to her side. "M’lady! I found you at last. May I know as to the identities of these civilians with whom you are engaged in conversation?"

"Is it customary for the residents of Canterlot to extend such a warm welcome?" the woman asked.

"Indeed, it would seem so, m’lady. It appears that they do recognize you.”

The woman examined the two girls once more, realizing they resembled the ones she saw on the news who were with her doppelgänger. She offered a slight smile as her icy demeanor began to thaw. "Might I presume that I am anticipated to be acquainted with the both of you?"

Author's Note:

The timeline of The Setting of Two Suns actually happens after The Battle of Sombra story that I made before on Instagram (still can be found in my Instagram. Just search the story highlight named Battle Sombra 1 and Battle Sombra 2)

This story is still in progress. If anyone wants to leave some suggestions, you are free to tell them. For anyone who wants to be a pre-reader, just give me a DM.