• Published 24th Sep 2012
  • 1,019 Views, 19 Comments

Solar Vs Lunar - Sibling Rivalry - SwordFlare



A game has been invented that launches the two princesses into a new world - to fight each other!

  • ...
0
 19
 1,019

Chapter 1

Chapter 1

"Okay everypony, settle down. No, quiet now please." Pinkie Pie said with excitement in her voice, which didn't make it any better. Whilst Brainy Horn was to be the operator of the game, making sure everything ran smoothly, Pinkie Pie was the commentator, with Spike, Twilight Sparkle's helper, as the Co-Commentator.

"Ahem. C'mon everypony, stop talking for a few moments so we can run some checks. The quieter you are the quicker this will be over." Spike instructed firmly to the ponies, along with the princesses who were stood on the purple mat, in the middle of the throne room.

The mat had been divided into two, with Princess Celestia and her Solar guards standing on one half, and Princess Luna and her Lunar guards standing on the other. Some of the guards from each side pawed nervously in anticipation.

The room, while being set up by Brainy Horn, had received some loving attention from Rarity whom Celestia employed to make things look a little cleaner. While before she had started, everything was messy and over the place, Rarity had placed some dividers, and temporary walls around all the equipment in the room. She had painted all of the equipment in white, and made everything shine, so that it would good for the cameras. The cameras of course were all there now in many different places to film many different angles, ready to film the moment when all of the ponies taking part would be transported to the other world.

Officials were walking sternly around each individual on the square of material inspecting them, and checking they looked their very best. Ponies could be heard saying "Have you got your armour on right?" and "Have you got your sword?" and somepony was even being so thorough as to say "Are you carrying your shield on the left side of your back or the right? It shouldn't be on the same side as the sword!"

Finally, the officials seemed happy with how everypony looked and all stepped off of the mat. Brainy Horn cleared his throat and said, "We need to go through what little rules there are again, so that you are all certain of what you must do." This was met by a wave of groans and one solar pony said "We know, for Celestia's sake!" earning him a smack on the back of his head by one of Celestia's royal hooves. He was quiet after that.

"So, first of all, NO team-killing. If you do, you will also be sent back to the real world. So that you don't get any funny ideas. Also, if your princess dies, then your team loses. So protect them as well as you can. And lastly, DON'T kill the camera ponies. We'd really hate to think of what might happen if something went wrong, and we couldn't monitor what is going on." Brainy Horn finished, having explained every rule. "Am I understood?" A chorus of around a hundred and two 'Yes's rolled around the huge room like thunder. Two princesses, 80 guards and 20 camera-ponies, ready to film, were these ponies.

For the hell of it, Pinkie Pie shouted "Everypony, ARE YOU READY?!?" Receiving the same response as last time. "I SAID ARE YOU REA-" She was quickly cut off by Spike.

"Pinkie..." He looked at her disapprovingly and shook his head.

"Oh, erm, sorry. Hehe!" Pinkie giggled shyly. "I must have got carried away... ANYWAY. Will everypony not taking part please step back!" Everyone gathered to watch stood back, as Brainy Horn and Twilight Sparkle, who was helping with the magic power needed to complete the transportation, stepped forward.

They lit their horns and aimed at a central panel behind the mat on the otherside of the room. Everypony held their breath while the two unicorns concentrated, their magic growing in power until suddenly, two twin rays of pure magic were released, flying through the air at high speed. One was silver, and the other purple, and they entwined together as they flew at the panel.

All the ponies were encased in a bright, white light, and only the outlines of their figures could be made out, two of them tall and the rest a little smaller. As quickly as this had happened, the light turned into a rainbow of colours, and then shrank, taking the outlines with it. Everypony stared at the square, breathless for a few moments, then broke into passionate and joyful cheers!

The two princesses and their guards were gone.

***************

Princess Celestia padded through the the forest of tall, leafless trees, her hooves crunching on twigs and making crackling noises on the leaves. 50 excited ponies followed her close behind, kicking up the leaves and making a noise with their hooves and voices combined, chatting and laughing.

"If I remember rightly about what Brainy Horn said one time... The world is large, but not that large that we will never find each other. It's to give us time to build forts, and establish scouts, defenses and other things necessary. Not only that but there are different climates spread around the world." Celestia spoke to herself, in wonder. Then cleared her throat. "Okay everypony! Listen up now. We can't simply walk around in a group of 50, I need to split you up into squads. Each squad will have a leader, and 9 other ponies, and will also have either two or three camera-ponies to follow them. Now then, let me see..." Her eyes ran over all of the guards, remembering who she thought was the best leader, and fighter. And also who looked the best. "You there!" She pointed to a light turquoise pegasus mare with a blue mane, who previously stood proudly on her legs, but now her legs shook a little.

"M-me?!" The mare said in awe that she had been chosen.

"Yes you, silly, come out here." Celestia said kindly.

The mare walked gracefully out of the crowd and stood tall in front of the princess. It became apparent why she had been chosen. She walked with such elegance and beauty, but there was also much intelligence in her light blue eyes.

"What is your name, soldier?"

The mare looked nervous at first, and then stated, "Razor Leaf, your majesty." The princess nodded regally.

"Stand beside me here, then." Celestia instructed. The mare did as she was told and walked to the side of her princess, turning to face the crowd.

Then, Celestia began skimming over the crowd again, and this time, picked out a young, strong looking stallion with a yellow coat, and a golden, more solidly coloured mane. "You over there, to the left."

The stallion being pointed to looked at Celestia in surprise. "Your majesty... with all due respect, I'm standing on the right."

Did he just say what she thought she said? "No, you're standing on the l- Oh nevermind. My left, your right. Very funny, stallion. Step forward." The stallion with a grin on his face stepped forward and looked up at the princess. "What is your name?"

The stallion, anticipating the question, answered almost immediately, "Camo Flash."

"Right then, Camo Flash, stand beside me."

"Left or right, your majesty?" Camo Flash snorted.

"Don't push it, stallion." Celestia frowned at him and gestured to the side not taken by Razor Leaf. Once again the princess repeated the process, picking out another mare with a white coat and a blue mane, who named herself as Snow Flake, who was a unicorn, and took her place next to the princess. Finally, Celestia made 'Hmmm' noises looking over the crowd of 47 ponies, who all looked up with pleading eyes. After a while, she made a decision and pointed to a pegasus stallion with a light brown coat and a darker brown mane, with a streak of gold in it. "You, step forward."

This stallion walked more confidently forward and stood solidly in front of the princess. "Sword Flare, your majesty."

"Ah. I hear you have an aptitude for swords. It goes with the name, of course. Very well, stand beside me." She gestured to one of her sides, where there was another pony waiting. "NOW THEN! You four will pick 9 other ponies to go with you in your squad."

Many of the squad leaders chose their friends, or the handsome stallions, or the pretty mares, but in fairness all of the guards chosen were pretty much equal. Once the picking was done, the princess assigned two camera-ponies to the mare's squads, and three to the squads belonging to the stallions.

"As for me, I will go mainly with Sword Flare's squad, but I will occasionally visit and check on what progress is being made. Now, squads form!" She ordered, and at this, as though it had been practiced before, (it had) the four squads formed 2 lines of five next to each other, with the camera-ponies behind their respective squads.

***************
Meanwhile, somewhere in a crevasse large, rocky crevasse between two mountains, stood Princess Luna and her Lunar guards. They were doing much the same thing, as great minds thought alike. Luna was trying to choose her fourth squad member. She then pointed to an earth stallion with a light grey coat, and a yellow mane.

"Thou over there to the left, with the yellow mane! Come to us," Luna instructed, keeping eye contact with her last chosen leader, who slowly walked towards her. "Tell us thy name, stallion."

"My name's Lightning Strike, your majesty." Unlike the others, the stallion did a courteous bow to his princess, which earned him a chuckle from her.

"Very nice, Lightning Strike, very nice." She giggled at him. She was a princess easily pleased by flattery, it seemed.

The squad leaders of the night chose their soldiers, just as the solar leaders had. And curiously, they formed up in exactly the same way as Celestia's soldiers had.

Great minds really did think alike. It was going to be a very strategic game...