• Published 26th Nov 2022
  • 807 Views, 16 Comments

A Meeting At The Falls - PennyDreadful



Twilight has recieved an ominous letter, but what's waiting for her is sure to be even more shocking. A story about self image and how we see each other. Tagged for attempted suicide.

  • ...
0
 16
 807

A short drink

Twilight was awake, but she wasn’t in any hurry to get out of bed.

It was quite a few things. The way the wind whistled, and the great frame of the hotel creaking against its force reminded Twilight of the Golden Oaks library. Lying and listening to it all, to the sound of the windows shifting, to the leafless trees slicing the wind apart… it was comfortable.

There was also the pain. She had pushed her body far harder during the rescue than she typically did. Her wings stung when she moved them, and her horn was slightly sore. Her mouth had the slight taste of tin that indicated she had channeled magic too fast and too roughly, and none of that compared to the bruises, scrapes, and other lumps she had sustained during her crash landing. She wasn’t looking forward to checking herself for broken bones.

And finally, there was Trixie. Or rather, the lack of her.

Twilight had used the last of her adrenaline to fly Trixie back up to the hotel, kick in the boarded doors, and collapse the pair of them onto one of the luxurious (if slightly dusty) beds. But now, when she had awoken, she found that the bed contained only her. Evidently, Trixie had awoken before her and taken the opportunity to flee.
Twilight wanted to be more upset, but all she could feel was a certain degree of resignation. Saving someone from a fate they had tried to impose on themselves wasn’t exactly the kind of thing one got thanked for. It showed a lack of confidence in others' choices, which was considered disrespectful. How well those social graces held up in this scenario was up for debate, but Twilight was sure Trixie was long gone.

It wasn’t like she could keep her here, she supposed. She sighed, rolling over in bed and trying to get comfortable. Might as well take the opportunity to relax before heading home.

Whatever became of Trixie was… out of her hooves.

She hated that thought.

“Are you awake yet? Or is the Great and Powerful Trixie going to have to drink both of these herself? Because she can.”

Twilight’s eyes widened and she shot upwards, gaze locking to the entrance to the bedroom. Standing in the entrance to the rest of the suite was Trixie. She still looked slightly haggard, but she cocked an eyebrow performatively, levitating two highball glasses with her magic.

Twilight grunted, unsure of what to say. Trixie trotted into the room and set one drink down on the bedside next to Twilight. The other, she levitated to her lips, taking a short sip.

Twilight’s horn was sore, but it flared to life easily and lifted the glass. Before daring to drink any of it, she turned it around experimentally, stirring it a little and giving it a sniff.

“It’s something the Great and Powerful Trixie whips up for post-show comfort. Zebrican rum, milk, pancake syrup, and crushed daisies.”

Twilight was rather confused. “Where did you find milk in an abandoned hotel?”

“Trixie substituted it with rum.”

“What about the syrup?”

“Also substituted with rum.”

Twilight took a pull from the drink. Frankly, she was surprised it even contained ice.

“Is this a typical breakfast for you?” Twilight quipped, resting back against the bed’s headboard. Trixie gave her a dirty look.

“The Great and Powerful Trixie drinks only when there is something to be celebrated. Or when she is in great pain. This is the latter of those.” She took her own sip and then sprawled herself across the deep red loveseat. Her gaze clashed right into Twilight’s own, and both of them were sent staring elsewhere. Mostly into their drinks.

The pair sat in silence for what felt like an eternity.

Trixie was the first one to say something. “Why?”

“I could ask you the same question.”

Trixie gritted her teeth. “I asked first.”

Twilight sighed. “Because I couldn’t just stand there and watch you die.”

Trixie let out a haughty snort at that, but it was clearly slightly forced.

“I mean it, Trixie.”

“Yes, of course! Without the Great and Powerful Trixie, who else would you live to humiliate?”

“I’m sorry.”

“You heard me correctly!”

“No, not “I’m sorry?”. I’m sorry. That was a genuine apology, Trixie. I had no idea what had happened to you after our duel. I didn’t… I didn’t know.”

The showmare silently flicked her tail.

“I don’t… pay attention to the newspaper. It’s something I learned to ignore back when I was first starting out as Celestia’s student. I’m so used to any reports about myself being frivolous or stupid, and… I admit I hadn’t thought about how the public opinion would affect you. I accepted your apology, but that doesn’t mean anything in the wider world. I didn’t think. About what you might be going through or where you were… and I’m sorry for that.”

Trixie let out her own low sigh. “No. Trixie… understands. She drinks deep of her hatred for you upon hearing that, but she understands. It’s not like she was anypony important. But you shouldn’t have saved her.”

“I had to!”
“No you didn’t! But it fits the story, doesn’t it? The noble and shiny princess saves the pathetic waif from her own horrible self.” She sank back into the couch further, taking a deep pull of her drink. “Trixie imagines it’s done enough for your ego already, so don’t expect a thank you.”

Twilight’s ears drooped. “Don’t call me that. Please.”

Trixie looked rather surprised. “What, shiny?”

“No. Princess. I’m still getting used to it.”

“How on Equus could it be a problem? Trixie was under the assumption that every filly dreams of being an alicorn princess from the first time they see Celestia in their picture books.”

“Because… everypony now sees me as Princess Twilight instead of Twilight Sparkle. Almost everypony except my friends has gone crazy ever since the castle appeared. It feels isolating. Like ponies see me as separate from them.”

Trixie glowered. “You are! You are one of four currently known manifestations of true divinity!”

“But why does that mean I stop being me?!” Twilight fumed, gesturing a little too much with her glass and spilling a few drops on the bed.

“Well forgive Trixie if she can’t feel the pea under the mattress. It must be so difficult for you.”

“Oh shut up, you self centered-” Twilight put a hoof over her mouth. Maybe she had had more rum than she thought. She typically tried very hard not to be that blunt, and she definitely didn’t use language like what almost came out.

She glanced over at Trixie to find that the cerulean unicorn was maintaining a humorlessly rictus grin.

“Yes, Trixie is self centered, isn’t she? Not another pony ever crosses her mind. Almost as if she couldn’t care for anything less.”

Twilight’s eyes softened. “Trixie… I’ve been meaning to ask about some of the things you said. Before. Were you really out on the streets?”

Trixie huffed. “Why is this about trixie now?”

“I thought you’d like to be the topic of the conversation, since my problems weren’t cutting it.” Twilight offered dryly. “But I am… genuinely curious about what you’ve been through.”

“And why are Trixie’s problems your business?”

“Because it feels like I might factor into them.” Trixie winced at that, averting her gaze.

“Yes. Trixie was on the streets. Debasing herself by performing on corners with her hat in front of her, and sleeping under newspapers.”

“And I was living in a palace. Sun above.” Twilight massaged her temples with her hooves. “No wonder you hate me so much.”

Trixie laughed. It wasn’t humorless though. It held an edge of true mirth. “Oh Twilight, Trixie hates you more than you can understand.”

The showmare rose to her hooves, swaying a little. She set the empty glass down, magic winking out, and stretched herself.

“Allow the Great and Powerful Trixie to punish you for rescuing her, with an awe-inspiring history of how detestably better than her you are!” She trilled gleefully, horn firing off a few holographic paisleys and spirals. Twilight groaned.

It was going to be a tiring experience, but she was full of rum. And deep inside her brain, there was a small part of her eager to take notes. There was something Trixie wasn't saying, and Twilight was prepared to see the truth revealed…