• Published 19th Sep 2022
  • 970 Views, 14 Comments

Pink Skies at Sunset - Luminous Comet



Moments from Sunset and Pinkie's loving relationship.

  • ...
2
 14
 970

Nightmare Night

"So," Rarity began, drawing the word out to indicate that she was going to say something either spicy or exciting, possibly both. "Halloween is only a week away." She looked at her friends, gathered around the diner table, eager to get into the topic.

"You mean Nightmare Night," Sunset interjected. Pinkie and Fluttershy giggled already, knowing what reaction that would get. She did her best not to smirk and just leaned back from her empty plate.

"No, darling," Rarity said firmly, the affectionate word emphasised harshly, "I mean Halloween. It is different."

"No it's not," Sunset asserted casually.

"You dress up in costumes," Pinkie began.

"Children ask for candy," Fluttershy added.

"And ya do all sorts of spoo-hooky things!" Applejack finished, wiggling her fingers in Rarity's unimpressed face.

"To appease an evil moon goddess, by the sounds of it," Rarity said drily. "Which is nothing like Halloween."

"Sure, I guess that's true." Sunset shrugged and reached over to Pinkie's plate, stealing a few fries. "So what are you doing for Nightmare Night?" She couldn't help a proud smirk when Pinkie's giggles led into a sudden snort.

"Well, I was going to offer to make you all costumes. But now that offer only applies to most of you." With a sulky "hmph" she pointedly looked away from Sunset and started nibbling on one of her mozzarella sticks.

"Aww, but we wanted to have a costume together," Pinkie pouted, resting her chin in her palm.

"Couple costume!?" Rarity's eyes widened and she nearly dropped her stick, her playful anger all but forgotten. "Absolutely! Oh, I adore couple costumes! What is it you want? Knight and princess!? Daphne and Velma!?"

"Well, we did have a pretty specific idea already," Sunset said, putting an arm around Pinkie and starting to explain what they had imagined.


Rarity didn't just give it her all on the costumes, she had also spent several days with Sweetie Belle - and volunteers from both of their friend groups - decorating their house. As so often, their parents would be out of town, leaving most of the responsibility with Rarity.

The interior was all laid out for a themed party, the organisation of which Rarity had left almost entirely to Pinkie Pie. The outside, meanwhile, was covered with fake spider webs, torn black curtains hanging before the front door and some of the windows, and a trail of fake blood leading up the driveway, smeared onto the wall in places as well.

"I guess we should hit this place," Diamond Tiara said dismissively, but with the authority that her princess dress suggested. "Anyone who puts this much effort into decorations is bound to have something to give out."

"I think that's Sweetie Belle's house," Silver Spoon noted, herself wearing a frilled suit evocative of old noble wear, with a fake rapier on her hip.

"All the better." Diamond confidently walked ahead, with her courtier quick on her heels. They followed the trail of blood and Diamond lifted away the heavy curtain to find the front door open, the blood leading up the steps and partway into the hall, a chair with a a bowl of candies standing halfway down, near the first set of doors.

The girls looked at each other before slowly progressing in. The home owners had definitely rigged up some kind of simple scare. Silver quickly looked behind the open door, but nobody was waiting to ambush them there. They walked to the bowl and Diamond was just about to reach her hand in when the door to their left abruptly opened.

Silver flinched a little, despite expecting the scare. Not that it was much of one. Holding the door halfway open from the dark room was an older girl, her skin made paler with heavy makeup and her fiery hair tied into a demure braid over her shoulder.

"Oh. Hello, Sunset," Silver said politely, while Diamond just continued taking the candy, dropping a few pieces into both of their bags.

"Hey, girls," Sunset said slowly, her eyes unfocused, looking just past them.

"Um... what are you dressed as?" Silver asked, trying to figure it out while looking over Sunset's clothes. They didn't seem that out there, but definitely weren't her normal clothes either. Instead of the bright punk look, she was wearing a white summer dress and a plain jacket draped over her shoulders.

"Oh, you know..." Sunset started, before being interrupted. She was yanked back, the jacket pulled off of her and her head lulled to the side, making the braid slip away as well, revealing a nasty pair of puncture wounds on her neck, blood covering the entire side and drenching part of the dress.

"My dinner!" Pinkie howled, one arm slung around Sunset's waist, the other hand on her chin, one of her sharp nails pressing against her cheek. She kept her mouth wide open, just long enough for the light to catch her sharp fangs, before pressing her blood-stained lips against her victim's neck. There was a ripping sound and Sunset's eyes widened with a gasp, before Pinkie dragged her away again, behind another curtain.

Diamond and Silver shrieked and both stumbled to run out of the house, but their screams collapsed into laughter once they got back to fresh air. "Okay, that was pretty good," Diamond admitted as they casually walked back to the street.


Pinkie giggled and kept kissing Sunset's neck, eliciting the same from her. After a moment, she playfully pushed Pinkie away. "Okay, okay, you don't have to do that every time."

"But I need to feed!" Pinkie insisted, pretending to bite Sunset's shoulder while making eating sounds. Sunset sputtered and jabbed her side lightly with a finger.

They both quieted down again. Sunset readjusted the braid and the jacket to hide the fake wound and blood, as they listened for anyone else to come in. They'd been at it for a bit and hadn't quite gotten bored of it yet. Sooner or later they'd go back inside to join the rest of their friends around the game table. And Rainbow Dash definitely had her own plans for scaring kids in their place.

"You're terrifyingly cute," Sunset said quietly, after looking over the caped suit again, trailing up to the convincing fangs and sunken eyes.

"Awww! And you're so sweet, I could--"

"Eat me up, I know." She rolled her eyes and leaned on Pinkie, who draped her wide cape over her shoulders.

"Happy Nightmare Night, Sunny."

Author's Note:

Yes, Halloween was a week ago. What's your point?