• Published 19th Oct 2022
  • 243 Views, 2 Comments

You Will Never Escape - Autistic Witch



Shimmering Diamond Detective Agency receives another missing persons case. These rarely involves more than a few phone calls to find out the person just went no contact with the client, but this one's a bit different.

  • ...
1
 2
 243

You will never escape ch8

“Sunset, time to get up.”

I felt Twilight shake me awake, and she was standing over me with a loving smile on her face.

“Tomorrow night, I won’t accept any excuses.”, I said through my sleep dusted eyes.

“Oh, I won’t accept any either.”

Twilight exited the room, and I began working on the process of waking up. I didn’t feel as refreshed as yesterday but also didn’t feel like absolute crap. It was more like a usual morning for me when the sun hadn’t been out for months. The best way I could describe it is like having mild depression. I worked my way out of bed and through my morning routine. I was sufficiently awake by the end and booted up my computer. I looked through last night’s footage of the client’s apartment, and what I found couldn’t be more perfect. Clear as day, there in the living room was my sister making out with and going down on a woman that wasn’t the client. An evil grin spread across my face. Poor, poor little sister, I’m going to destroy your life.

“Someone looks happy.”, Twilight commented. I turned the computer towards her, and she took a close look at the footage. “Huh, for such an unpleasant looking guy, your dad does produce some beautiful children.”

“I guess.”

Twilight kissed me on the head then continued with whatever she was doing. I resumed going over the footage and fast forwarded to this morning. The two of them were hurrying out the door and would likely reach the elevators in a couple minutes. I could confront them now, but would that result in my desired outcome? If I confront them in the lobby, I might be removed by security. Same if I confront them in the elevator. No, confronting them now would not produce a desirable outcome.

I closed out of the camera feed and headed out into the hallway. I looked to make sure no one was around and retrieved my camera from the vent. I cleaned it up and placed it back in the case. I had nowhere to be until it was time to relay my intel to the client. I was once again left with nothing to do. Twilight’s still busy, and the only people that weren’t working were Rainbow and Fluttershy. Fluttershy is flying back out tomorrow. I’d like to spend more time with them.

I pulled out my phone and texted the two of them. “Hey, I got nothing to do for the next few hours. Wanna hang?”

It took a few minutes, but Fluttershy responded first. “Sure, any preference where?”

“You’re stayong with your parents, right?”
“*staying”

“Yes”

“I take it u don’t want 2 do something that risks putting u back in the 🏨”, Rainbow added.

“Correct”, I confirmed. “But can’t you write like someone who graduated from primary school?”

“Hey, I can text however I want. Their r no rules”

“Except for “make sure people can understand what you’re trying to communicate”.”, Fluttershy retorted.

“🖕”

“Back on topic, wanna grab some coffee?”, I typed.

“Sounds good”, RD answered.

“Okay”, Fluttershy answered.

“Alright, Sugarcube Corner in thirty minutes.”, I typed. RD and Fluttershy gave affirmative responses. I packed up the stuff I wanted to bring with me and gave Twilight a quick noggin kiss before heading out.

Riding through my old neighborhood was a trip. Much had changed with the economy in the toilet. A lot of people have been forced to move elsewhere to find work, leaving more than a few empty houses, and businesses have shut down and been replaced or radically changed. The one bright side is that it was one of the areas less affected by the change in weather. Sugarcube Corner was mostly the same except for some minor changes from when things needed to be replaced. It was still owned and ran by the Cakes and a popular hangout spot for the students of Canterlot High. None of the kids of my old classmates would be old enough to be in high school, so none of the patrons I saw were even remotely recognizable. However, there were two faces that I recognized behind the counter.

“You look familiar, but you two couldn’t possibly be who I think you are as they’re only about waist height.”, I said as I got up to the counter.

“Hi, Sunset.”, Pound said in that way only annoyed teenagers can.

“I guess Alzheimer's can strike at any age.” Pumpkin quipped.

“Ooh, not bad.”, I complimented. “I take it your brother’s in the ‘I’m mad at everything’ phase.”

“Yup”

Pound let out an annoyed grumble, and Pumpkin stuck her tongue out in response.

“What would you like?”, Pumpkin asked.

“A vienna coffee”

Pumpkin nodded. “Coming up.”

“Thanks” I handed Pound my card, and he ran it. He gave me my card back, and I moved to the pick-up part of the counter. Pumpkin always works quickly and got me my drink within a minute. I took my drink and tried to find a place for us to sit. The place was just about packed to the gills, but I was able to find a space just big enough for the three of us. If this was going to be all seven of us, there wouldn’t have been enough space. I took a seat and waited for the others to show. The sounds of talking were all around, but it wasn’t too loud that someone couldn’t have their own conversation. RD and Fluttershy arrived not too long later, ordered their own drinks, and joined me.

“Hey”, I said.

“Hey, you’re looking better.”, Fluttershy said.

“Yeah, I slept basically all through Sunday, but I’m doing better. What have you two been up to?”

“I officially went on extended leave yesterday.”, Rainbow said.

“For how long?”, Fluttershy asked.

“Honestly, for as long as I can make it last. I wanna spend as much time as I can with AJ and the kid. I’m even thinking of going into early retirement. Maybe one of the schools needs a PE teacher.”

“I’m sure AJ would like that.”, I said. “What about you, Fluttershy? How are things going?”

“Not so great, sure cloning does give us more time to try and breed the animals, but clones have a shorter life expectancy and will have the same issues as their template.”, Fluttershy said.

“What about genetic engineering?”, RD asked.

“We are looking into that, but we first have to map the animals’ genomes, and we have a lot of very different animals. And that’s just making it a possibility.”

“Something tells me that PETA will try to stop you if you guys do go down that road. I wonder what stupid argument they’ll try.”, I said.

“Probably something like “You’re mutilating animals! AAGGGHH!”.”, Fluttershy whisper-yelled.

“I’m still a subscriber of the theory that they were created to make actual animal rights activists look insane and delegitimize the movement.”, RD interjected.

“I so hope that’s the case.”

We continued chatting about life in general, and I drank an amount of caffeine that would’ve earned me a lecture from Twilight, but like all things in life, our time had to come to an end. Before long, it was nearing noon.

“I gotta go. Got work.” I grabbed my stuff and stood up to leave, but before I left, I took one last look at them. “Goodbye”, I said in a somewhat somber tone.

“What? What’s this ‘goodbye’ stuff about? We’ll be seeing you again.”, RD in a slightly teasing tone.

“Let’s hope.” Before either of them could respond, I headed back out to my bike. When I got back to Twilight’s building, I only made a quick stop at her apartment to grab my computer and camera case before heading to the client’s apartment. It was about ten minutes after noon when I got there and knocked. The client answered, and I was let inside.

“Your suspicions were correct.”, I said as the client closed the door. “I have footage of your wife engaged in sexual acts with another woman.”

The client looked like she was going to break down or be sick but steeled her resolve. “Show me.”

I pulled out my computer, placed it on the table, and opened up the recording. As the video played, the client looked defeated and like she was going to cry.

“I can’t say I know what you’re going through, but I can say that this isn’t a reflection on you.”, I said in my most reassuring voice. The client looked at me confused but didn’t say anything. “Her choice to betray you was made by her and her alone. There’s nothing you could’ve done differently that would’ve made her stay. A cheater is just who she is. You did nothing wrong.”

Before I could react, the client hugged me. I was stunned by this but recovered and hugged her back.

“Thank you”, the client said in a tearful voice.

I just rubbed her back and did my best to comfort her. She wasn’t crying, but it sounded like she was heaving through her teeth the way a person does when they are angry and in pain. After a while, her heaving came to a stop, and the client pulled back from me.

“You kind of look like her, right around here.”, the client said as she pointed to my eyes.

I looked at a photo of the client and her wife. It was of them at the beach on a sunny day. They were looking into the camera, smiling, leaning against each other, and holding hands. They looked happy. “Yeah, I kinda do.” I either horribly misjudged her, or it’s my eyes. I’m going to go with my eyes. “I’ll email it to you. Do you plan on confronting her?”

“Yes, I need to.”

“I understand. I just ask that you allow me to be there as well.” The client looked confused, so I continued. “I have some questions for your wife as well. I also believe my presence will prevent, or at least deter, any actions that will result in anyone going to jail or the hospital.” I pulled back my jacket, exposing my gun, to emphasize my point.

“I see. You may come. I will confront her when she gets home tonight.”

“Very well, I’ll be here before then.”

I packed up my computer and opened the camera case. I went around the apartment and retrieved the remainder of my cameras. They need to be recharged. Once everything was packed up, I headed down to my bike and to the office. The door was locked, so Rarity wasn’t in. I fished around for my keys and tried to remember which one’s the office door key. Once inside, I plugged in the camera batteries and opened up the case on my computer. I found the client’s email and sent her the video.

Looking around at the office, I could see all the work and love Rarity and I put into all of this. We were the ones that redecorated this place to not look like some sort of creepypasta setting. We built up our reputation. We poured everything we had to what was, at one point, merely a high school fantasy after reading too much Shadow Spade. For all my gripes, I enjoy this job.

Just as I was getting ready to leave, I got a call from Rarity. “Hey, what’s up?”

“Sunset, we’ve got a slight problem.”, Rarity said in her ‘I’m calm, but this is very panic worthy’ voice.

“Were you made?”, I said in a serious tone.

“No, this is about the assassin. Twilight was right, well, sort of.”

“Okay, give me the details.”

“So, I planted a bug on your sister, and she went to lunch with your dad. Now, this was in code, but they were talking about you, a contractor, how surprisingly cheap they were, and how everything was going to be all better once you’re gone.”

“Great. Next time I see that third rate hitman, I’m going to shoot him in the groin.”

“That would take care of him.”

“Thanks for the update.”

“I’ll see you tomorrow.”

“Bye” I hung up and close up shop.

Heading down to my bike, I noticed the sound of another person’s footsteps. They were in time with my own and the garage is very echoey, so it was hard to judge who’s making them and where they were coming from. When I got to my bike, I grabbed my gun and spun around. As expected, I was face to face with crimson eyes, and he had his own gun pointed at me. Unexpectedly, he was way closer than I anticipated. I was right next to my saddle, about where I’d stand to mount, and he was inches away from my tail.

“There are only two ways this can go. We either both get shot, or neither of us gets shot. Which is it going to be?”, I growled.

My assassin looked down at my gun then back up at me. I had my gun trained at his heart, and his was the same. Even if neither of us dies, we’d both be nursing a damaged organ or two. Wait, why didn’t he shoot me from behind? He’s not here to kill me.

“You’re not an assassin. You’re a kidnapper.”

Crimson used his empty hand to clap the one with the gun. “Very good, Detective.” His voice was so calming and sweet. If you met him on the street, you would’ve thought he worked as a carer or teacher. He sounded like Morgan Freeman but with a higher voice.

“Mind telling me which of my oh-so lovely relatives wants me so badly that they’re willing to pay several thousand dollars for a mercenary to come get me?”

“You know I can’t. I’m a criminal, but I still have client confidentiality.”

“Fair.” Hold on. “But you couldn’t be sued for breach of contract, correct?”

“Not the way you can be. In my line of work, getting sued for breach of contract means a hit’s been placed on you.”

“Sounds like a waste of money to me.”

“It depends on the client.”

“I see. How ‘bout this? How much would it cost for you to leave me alone?”

Crimson didn’t say anything for a bit and looked to be contemplating it. “Double, 20,000 dollars.”

“Fine”

We put our guns away and pulled out our phones and moved closer together. I transferred the money to him, and we separated.

“Good, now, you and your partner can leave me alone.”

Even though his face was covered, I could clearly see that he was confused. Crimson pulled his glasses up so I could see his eyes and clearly see his emotions, and his emotions were genuine, or he’s way better at faking them than me. “I don’t have a partner. I work alone.”

I looked at Crimson, equally as confused. “Then who else is following me?”

“Beats me, but good luck.” Crimson lowered his glasses and left without another word, and I was left wondering who that other stalker is affiliated with.

I shouldn’t be here, out in the open yet no one around. But where do I go? I hopped onto my bike and just drove around. I had nowhere to be and no one to hang around with. I just rode around and realized I had to get gas. I made a quick stop to fill up then continued driving, ending up near the ocean, the docks, the edge of the bad part of town, the Everfree, and eventually on the roads outside of town. I revved my engine, but the sky apparently decided that I would not be speeding today and opened up on me. My ride slowed down to just below the speed limit. The rain hitting the miles of grassland created a fine mist that covered the ground. The already gray skies turned darker. As beautiful as it all was, it was becoming difficult to see and uncomfortably cold. I’m not dying before I confront my sister.

I turned around and drove back into town. By the time I got back, the sun was setting, meaning that it was getting close to six. I headed straight to the client’s place with only my gun and knife. I didn’t even have my mask on. I wanted my sister to see my face in full. I knocked and was let inside. The client looked far from the well put together, rich snob persona she put on at the office and, now, looked like she’d been crying since I left. I slipped inside and checked the time. 5:55 any minute now.

“Are you okay?”, I asked.

“No.”, she said in a weak voice. “You’ve done this before. How did they react?”

“I’ve seen people react in many different ways. Most are angry, some are accepting, and some are devastated. It really depends on the person and relationship.”

The client nodded, and we got in position to confront my sister. I stood off to the side of the door while the client waited in the living room. Citrine Spark entered soon after and headed straight into the living room without noticing me. It wasn’t even that the door hid me. I was standing on the other side of the doorway. I know people can be that oblivious, but it’s still baffling. The way she walked made her seem like she thought herself invincible, that her wealth and status makes her untouchable. That notion was laughable. Safety is like intelligence, the safer you think you are, the more you’re actually in danger.

“Aw, what’s wrong, babe?”, Citrine cooed. As sweet as she likely wanted it to sound, I could hear a hint of condescension in her tone. Though, the client almost assuredly couldn’t pick up on it.

The client took in a deep, shuddering breath and steeled herself with a determined expression that hid her sadness. She looked like she was trying to be angry and not break out into tears again. “I know you’re cheating on me.”

“What? What do you mean?”, Citrine said in a tone she meant to sound assuring, but I could hear the ‘oh, crap’ under it.

“Kinda hard to deny something there’s video evidence of.”, I remarked.

Citrine spun around and looked like a deer in headlights when she saw me. She looked me over, and realization sparked in her eyes. “What the hell are you doing here?! I’m calling the police!”

“Nope, your wife owns this place, and I was let in by her. The cops won’t help you.”

Citrine’s face turned red with anger, and I snorted at how much she looked like me at that moment. We have completely different hair, but we have the same noses and the same eye and skin colors. “So what?! It’s not enough you ruined my parents’ marriage! Now, you’re trying to ruin mine!”

Confusion was added to the client’s face as she looked between us for some sort of answer.

“I didn’t ruin anything. You and your father ruined your marriages by being unfaithful.”

Citrine opened her mouth to shout some more, but the client stepped in between us and cut her off. “No! No more! I want you out! Now! Pack your things and get out!”

Citrine glared at me then stomped up to her room like a toddler. Once she was out of sight, I heard the client breathing heavily and shakily. I quietly approached and patted her on the shoulder then a realization hit me.

“Does your wife have a gun in your room?”, I asked urgently.

The client spun around with a look of panic on her face. “No, but I do, and she knows the code.”

All I had processed was ‘gun’ before I bolted in the direction of Citrine and was staring her down as she opened the gun safe and was reaching for the pistol. Running on pure instinct, I tackled her against the shelves and grabbed the hand that held the gun. Citrine struggled, but before she could do anything stupid, I pulled out my own gun and pressed it into her side. Citrine looked down at my gun then back up at me with both fear and anger.

“I have some questions.”, I sneered. “I know about the contractors, and I know blue boy and that he’s a kidnapper. Now, the gray one, is he also a kidnapper, or is he an assassin?”

Citrine seemed to be thinking then looked back down at my gun then back up at me. “Yes, I did hire the assassin, but I didn’t hire the kidnapper, and I don’t know who did.” The look in her eyes told me she wasn’t lying.

“Drop the gun.”, I ordered with a shove of my own gun. Citrine complied, and I spun her around so I was behind her then I pushed my gun into her back. “Hands on the back of your head and walk.”

She put her hands on her head but looked back at me like she won. “You’ll regret this. I’ll get out by tomorrow night, and you’ll be dead.”

“Shut up and walk.” I walked her out to the living room where the client was letting in a pair of cops. The client looked at Citrine with heartbreak in her eyes. She looked so hurt, sad, and angry.

“Okay, what’s going on?”, one of the officers asked.

“Cheating wife, grabbed for a gun, that sort of thing.”, I explained.

One of the officers began talking with the client while the other took Citrine from me, letting me put my gun away. The client- Well, the contract is complete, and she’s no longer my client. Charm told the officer her side of things then the officer came over to me. I told him my side, omitting our talk in the bedroom. Citrine was taken away, leaving Charm and me alone in the apartment. Charm collapsed to her knees and began to cry once again. Not knowing what else to do, I sat down next to her and patted her shoulder. Charm hugged me and sobbed into my shoulder, and I switched to rubbing her back.

I wasn’t sure how long it took, but Charm eventually passed out. I picked her up and laid her down on the couch. I locked up the best I could as I left. I headed down to my cheating father’s floor and knocked. As soon as he answered, I pulled out my gun and pushed him back inside, closing the door behind us. I pushed him up against one of the side walls of his entryway and stared him down.

“Call off the assassin.”, I ordered in a cold, steely tone.

Chancellor Neighsay said nothing and glared back at me, apparently better at keeping his mouth shut. I flipped my gun around so I was holding it by the barrel and pistol whipped him with the back of it, leaving a small laceration by his eye, then flipped it back around and pressed it back into his chest.

“Y’know, you’re lucky. I don’t want to spend my last couple days in a cell.” I grabbed his hair with my free hand and forced him to look me straight in the eye. “Though, if your assassin hurts any member of my family, that reservation will be out the window.”, I growled.

I left quickly and headed down to my bike and back home. At least I now know gray is real, but now, I have no fucking clue who hired blue. Let’s see, there’s my two older sisters and their mom. Why would they want me abducted instead of just killed? Maybe the timing’s just a coincidence, and blue was hired by one of the many other people I’ve pissed off. Well, fat chance I’ll figure it out now. At least he’s gone. I got into my apartment, took my weapons off, and made myself dinner. I wanted to open my curtains and open up my apartment a bit, but gray could be out there with a rifle. The cramped feeling didn’t help the returning icky feeling. One thing at a time. I finished up my food, went about my night, then went to bed.