• Published 19th Oct 2022
  • 242 Views, 2 Comments

You Will Never Escape - Autistic Witch



Shimmering Diamond Detective Agency receives another missing persons case. These rarely involves more than a few phone calls to find out the person just went no contact with the client, but this one's a bit different.

  • ...
1
 2
 242

You will never escape ch6

I was awoken by a knock at my door. Checking the time, it was almost twelve in the afternoon. I dragged myself out of bed and to the front door. Checking through the peephole, I saw that it was Twilight. I opened the door and greeted Twi with a, hopefully not deranged looking, smile. “Hey, babe.”

“You look like crap.”, Twilight said teasingly. She wasn’t dressed to the nines but was dressed in a nicer getup than her usual sweats. She wore black fancy work shoes, cream colored fancy pants, and a violet blouse with a simple black purse over her shoulder. Her hair was in its typical bun with the marigold pin I gave her holding it together.

“Thank you, I saw the mirror.” I moved out of the way, and Twilight scampered in, undoubtedly having been getting catcalled by my neighbors. “Going somewhere special?”

“What, I can’t dress up to go see my girlfriend?”, Twilight asked with false innocence as she leaned against my kitchen counter.

I closed and locked the door then walked over to Twilight. “I mean, yeah, but,” I pinned Twi to the counter and switched to a more sultry tone, “you’ll be out of them quicker than it took you to put them on, if I have anything to say about it.”

Twilight let out a soft moan and exposed her neck, which I gladly took. I gave her some light nibbles but nothing that would leave a mark. “Oh, I really do wish that’s why I’m here, but you’re right.”, Twilight said breathlessly. “I got a business thing. I just came by to check on you.”

“On a Sunday.”, I whined. I pulled back, but as I straightened up, I felt light headed and stumbled slightly.

“Woah, are you okay?”, Twilight asked, grabbing me under the arms.

I righted myself and rubbed my head. “Yeah, I’m fine. I just haven’t eaten yet. Oh, I have to set up Mustard’s lamp.”

“I can make you something to eat while you set up the lamp.”

“Okay”

We separated, and I grabbed the box and re-entered my bedroom as Twilight put her bag on the counter and entered the kitchen. Mustard snoozed on his favorite rock and didn’t rouse as I entered. I set the lamp up along the back of his tank to simulate the natural light he’s used to. I’m going to have to turn this off manually every night. I went to my closet and rifled through my miscellaneous electronics box. I found one of those things that turns off power to whatever’s plugged into it on a schedule. Perfect. As I turned to finish the set up, I saw the box I keep my copy of my will in. I still need to double check that thing. I’m pretty sure it says what I said it did. I grabbed the box and fished my will out. Yup, “Any relatives of mine that choose to make themselves known are not entitled to any part of my estate. If my mysterious father chooses to contest any part of this will, he can have his $600 back. Clearly, it wasn’t used for its intended purpose.” I stuffed the document back where it belongs and headed back over to Mustard. I set the thing up to turn off the lamp around sunset and turn it on around sunrise.

With Mustard’s needs sated, I rejoined Twilight in the kitchen. A pleasant smell emanated from the stove, and I saw a pot full of leftover stew. Three things became immediately apparent about the stew; it contained meats, peas, and spinach, lots of spinach. Given what happened, I can see her line of thinking. I spooned up to her and nuzzled her neck. She had showered so only smelled like clean water.

“Has anyone told you how beautiful and incredible you are?”, I asked.

“Not today.”

“Well then, you are the most beautiful, incredible, and smarty-pantsiest person ever.”

“That can’t possibly be true. The most beautiful, incredible, and smarty-pantsiest person ever is standing right behind me. Though, she does need a shower.”

I let out a soft chuckle and dislodged myself from Twi. I grabbed two bowels and two spoons. I left the bowels next to the stove and brought the spoons to the table. I returned to the kitchen as Twilight poured each of us a serving and helped her bring the bowels to the table.

“How have you been? Rarity told all of us about the potential assassin.”, Twilight said.

“You can update ‘potential’ to ‘would-be’. An attempt was made on my life last night. You can file it under ‘saved by my bladder’.” I noticed that the sounds of metal on varnished clay that should be coming from Twi have stopped. I looked up from my bowel to see her looking at me in abject horror. “It’s not like he got me, and I got some of his blood.”

“Somebody tried to kill you, and you just mention it as a passing comment.”, Twi said in a mix of disbelief and horror.

I shrugged my shoulders. “It’s not like it’s the first time. Plus, he didn’t even get inside, and now, the cameras got his face.”

“You were nearly assassinated!”

“Twi, my dad just wants his money back. If he does manage to kill me, he won’t be getting it back. I made sure the assassin understood that.”

“What if it isn’t about the money?! What if his wife or one of your sisters want you dead because their sick minds think that killing you will fix their family?!”

“Then it doesn’t matter. I’ll be dead in a few days anyway.”

“What? Sunset, no, you’re not going to die. Is this about the shadow figure?”

“Forget about that thing. It only came after me once I learned about it. For your own safety, just forget I ever mentioned anything about it.”

“Sunset, something is wrong with you! I’m taking you to the hospital.”

“No, Twilight.”

“No? What do you mean ‘no’?”, Twilight asked angrily.

“I mean no. I’m not spending my final days strapped to a gurney.”, I said forcefully.

“Sunset, you need help. You’re sick.”

“Clearly! Clearly, I’m sick, and I’m going to die! I can’t stop it! I can’t touch it! It doesn’t even seem to acknowledge my existence, and it will take me!”, I said, wildly gesturing with my arms. “What can the doctors do?”

“The doctors can make it go away. We just need to go to the hospital, and you need to tell them what’s going on.” Twilight grabbed my arm and tried to drag me to the door, but I’m much bigger than her and merely yanked my arm free.

“I’m not going, and you can’t make me. I’m not a danger to myself or others, so the cops aren’t going to help you either.”

Twilight came back around to my front and cupped my face in her hands. She looked into my eyes with pleading and fear in her own. She scrutinized every part of me. It was clear she was trying to find something to get me to go to the hospital. She could see my graying skin and tired eyes. Even a complete stranger looking at a picture of me from a month ago could be able to tell that the life was draining from me. I could see tears start to form in her eyes but not enough to fall. I caressed her face and hand, and Twilight put her head to mine. “Please, Sunset.”, she pleaded in a gentle voice.

“I’m sorry.”, I said solemnly.

We stayed like that for a while then Twilight pulled back. “Sunset, I’m scared for you.”

“I’m scared too.”

Twilight looked down at her watch and grimaced.

“Go to your business thing. I’ll be fine.”, I assured.

“Are you sure? I can cancel, or do you want to come with me?”

“No, you go. I wouldn’t want to make you late.”

Twilight let out a sigh but grabbed her bag from the counter. “If you need anything or another attempt is made, call me. I don’t care if it’s in the middle of the work day or midnight. I mean it.”, Twilight said forcefully.

“Fine, go.”, I said while pointing to the door.

Twilight gave me one last solemn look before leaving. I finished my meal and brought the dishes to the sink. Once the dishes were cleaned, I headed to the bathroom and hopped in the shower. The warm water felt wonderful against my cold skin. I worked the knots out of my hair and basked in the warmth. What would it be like when it takes me? Will it just kill me or something worse? My mind swam with nightmarish images of what could be awaiting me. Killing myself to end the fear, anxiety, and uncertainty seemed like a valid option again. Maybe it is all in my head? It could be. Roseluck, I need to talk to her.

I finished up in the shower and got dressed to leave, specifically, a hoodie under my leather jacket. I put my newly painted helmet on then headed down to my bike. As I approached Roseluck’s building, I parked the next street over, put my helmet in its tail box, and made sure my hoodie covered my hair. I walked to the building and up to her floor. As I approached Roseluck’s door, I heard sounds coming from Wallfower’s apartment. It was faint, so I put my ear against the door. It was still an active crime scene, made clear by police tape being strapped across it. If it was the police, the door would be open. They would have no reason to have it closed. Plus, these weren’t the sounds of an investigation. It sounded like clay pots being messed with.

I straightened up and slowly opened the door. Inside was Roseluck with one of Wallflower’s plants in her hands. She stared at me like a deer in headlights, and I looked back at her with an annoyed ‘are you freaking kidding me’ look.

“I can explain.”, Roseluck blurted out.

“You’re stealing Wallflower’s most valuable plants under the pretense of “They’ll die if I don’t.””, I deadpanned. I sound like Scully talking to Mulder.

“Okay, I guess I don’t have to explain.”, Roseluck said nervously.

“You do realize how bad this looks for you?”

“I would never hurt Wallflower, especially for her plants. I could’ve just asked her, and she would’ve given me some clippings. I-I even already have most of these plants.”

“Even so, you’re contaminating the crime scene. You might have even completely ruined any chances of her ever being found.”

Roseluck looked between me and the plant. She seemed conflicted on what to do.

“Put it back.”, I said while pointing to the table.

Roseluck hesitated but put it back.

“Do you have any more of her plants?”

“No”

“So, if I go into your apartment, I’ll only see your plants?”

“How would you even know if they’re hers or not?”

“I’ll know.”

Roseluck glared at me disbelievingly, but I kept my stone cold stare. She approached me, and I moved out of the way. She ducked under the police tape and headed back to her apartment, and I closed the door behind her and followed her to her apartment.

“So, are you going to report me to the cops?”

“Depends on how cooperative you are. I have some more questions.”

Roseluck opened her door and entered. I followed her or rather attempted. Roseluck tried to slam the door in my face, but I pushed it back open. I’m by no means as strong as AJ, but I am bigger than her. She fell back on her ass and scurried backwards away from me.

“I hate it when people do that.”, I said in cold annoyance. I closed the door behind me and picked her up by the front of her shirt and planted her in a nearby chair. I pulled out my phone and opened up the file containing the pictures I’d taken of Wallflower’s plants. Roseluck had nearly a dozen of Wallflower’s plants. “You have no more of her plants, huh.”

Roseluck looked to be trying to phase through the chair and the floor below.

I let myself tower over her and summoned up the parts of me that were that high school bully. “Time for my questions.” My voice sounded like fire dwelled in my throat. My hair and hoodie framed my face in what looked like a gate to Hell. My only exposed skin was my angry, baggy eyes. I was the demon I used to be.

Roseluck’s face went pale, and her eyes widened. She looked as if she was staring down her greatest fear. “W-what do you want?”

“Did you poison Wallflower? Did you poison me?”

“What? No, I liked her. She was a good person.”, Roseluck said frantically.

I pulled out my knife and put it up to Roseluck’s throat. She leaned back as far as she could without tipping the chair back. “Wallflower’s plants say otherwise.”

“I’m not lying. H-how would a poison even get into you? You were wearing latex gloves and a mask with a filter.”

They aren’t frickin’ latex. “Really, that’s what you’re going with?” How would I’ve been poisoned? I don’t touch my face with gloves on. If it was in the air and Roseluck was responsible, she wouldn’t have gone in. “Alright, you didn’t poison me. What about hallucinations?”

“Do you think I’d lie about hallucinating?”, she said, getting some courage back. “I’d be in the frickin’ hospital if I thought I was poisoned or going crazy. Look, if anything like that does start happening, you’ll be the first one I call.”

I lowered my knife and took a couple steps away from Roseluck. People normally are very bad at hiding this stuff, usually giving a piece of information an innocent person wouldn’t have, and her logic made sense. “Stay there.”, I forcefully ordered.

I looked around the apartment, which had the same layout as Wallflower’s, though with fewer and smaller plants. I searched throughout the apartment, looking for evidence of any kind. Aside from the stolen plants, Roseluck didn’t have anything suspicious. I even checked for false walls and bottoms. I returned to the living room, where Roseluck still sat in her chair.

“You see, nothing. I had nothing to do with Wallflower’s disappearance or your hallucinations.”

“It would appear that way.”

“So, you’re not going to report me to the police?”

“Oh, I’m still going to report you. I don’t care about the theft, but you contaminated my crime scene.”

I turned to the door and reached for the handle. But just as I cracked it open, I was hit in the upper back. I stumbled forward but didn’t fall, using the door handle to stabilize me. I slowly turned around in the ‘you done fucked up’ way and glared down at Roseluck. She had the chair in her hands and looked about ready to piss herself.

“Yeah, it’s a lot harder to knock someone out than the movies make it out.”, I growled. I took the chair from her and placed it back on the ground. I stalked towards her, but she bolted past me and out the door. I took chase, but she hasn’t lost any speed as she’s gotten older. Roseluck bolted out the door and down the stairs, but when I reached the stairs, I began to feel light headed. I was just about stopped in my tracks but was able to reach the lobby. I tried to follow Roseluck outside, but I could barely stand up straight, and the world almost seemed to spin. I stumbled to the closest wall and slumped down to the ground. What’s happening? I tried to get back up but just didn’t have the energy. I leaned against the wall and tried to make myself as small as possible.

I’m not sure how long I was there, but after a while, I was able to stand back up. My legs were shaky, and I felt nauseous, but I pushed through it and made it outside. Roseluck was long gone, so I just hobbled back to my bike. I put my helmet back on, lifted up the face guard, and just rested on my bike as I waited for my body to not feel like utter crap. I’d hardly call it fresh air, but the chill did make the nausea somewhat subside. Once I felt well enough, I closed up my helmet, started the engine, and drove to the police station Shiny works at.

I took my helmet off and entered the building. It was a typical police station with an officer at the front desk. I approached the officer, and he looked up at me.

“Can I help you?”, he asked.

“Yes, I’m a private detective working the Wallflower Blush case.”, I said. The officer let out a low grumble of annoyance I wasn’t meant to hear. “Can it, officer. Your crime scene’s been broken into. I need to talk to the detective assigned to the case.”

The officer got an ‘oh, shit’ look on his and disappeared into the back of the station. He soon returned with Shining armor and Spearhead.

“Hey, Sunset- jeez, you look like crap.”, Shining said.

“I know. What did Scoffs Mcgee tell you?”

“That the Wallflower crime scene was broken into.”, Spearhead said.

“Yes, a woman named Roseluck broke in and stole some of Wallflower’s plants, which you’ll find in her apartment. She then tried to knock me out and escaped.”

“We’re familiar with her. Would you like to press charges?”

“Don’t bother. Just grab her.”

“Alright, could you fill out an official report?”, Shining asked while handing me a standard incident report form.

I took the form and a pen and nodded. I placed the paper on the counter and began to fill it out while Shining and Spearhead headed to their car. Once it was filled out, I handed it to the front desk officer. He took it, and I went back to my bike. Given what happened at Wallflower’s apartment, I decided to go home.

Once I was back in my apartment, I fed Mustard, who was now waking up. “Up early, aren’t ya?” Mustard never gets up early. I checked the clock and realized it was four. “Jeez, how long was I on the ground?”

My train of thought was interrupted by the sound of my toilet flushing. What kind of assassin uses their target’s bathroom? I waited in the threshold of my bedroom for my bathroom door to open. Once it did, I was relieved to see it was just Twilight.

“Oh, there you are.”, Twilight said. “You weren’t here when I got back from my meeting, so I decided to wait. Where did you go?”

I smiled at the fancy business woman, walked over to her, and wrapped my arms around her shoulders. “Oh, I just went to go question Roseluck some more.”

“On a Sunday.”, Twilight mocked in my earlier tone as she wrapped her arms around me. “How’d it go?”

“She was stealing Wallflower’s plants and then tried to knock me out with a chair. She watched too much TV.”

“So, a normal day for you.”

I kissed Twilight on the forehead and ran my hand through her hair. “Pretty much.” I ran my fingers under the hem of Twilight’s shirt and leaned in to whisper into her ear. “Now, I believe we have some long overdue business.”

Twilight responded in kind and practically pushed me back into my room. I fell back onto my bed, bringing Twilight down with me. I ran my hands up her back, towards her bra, and Twilight feverously kissed along my collarbone. “Aaaah, nnnn” My pleased moans were interrupted by groans of pain as the same light headed, spinny feeling from earlier returned, only now accompanied by a pounding headache. I yanked my hands out of Twilight’s shirt and pressed them to my head and squeezed my eyes shut as hard as I could.

“Sunset, are you okay?”, Twilight asked worriedly.

“Gggr, turn off the lights.”

I heard Twilight quickly get up and scurry away, then the lights went off. I curled over onto my side and tried to press myself into my soft blankets.

“What’s happening?”, Twilight said softly. I felt the bed depress behind me then Twilight rubbing my back.

“My head, it feels like the worst hangover ever.”

“Worse than your twenty-first birthday?”

“Way, way worse.”

“Okay, I’ll get you some painkillers.”

I felt Twilight get up then start walking around. I climbed up to my pillows and tried to bury my face into it. Twilight returned and offered me my pill bottle and a glass of water. I popped four pills into my mouth and downed the water before placing the bottle and glass on my side table. I managed to kick my boots off, get my holster and knife off, and get under the blankets, and Twilight joined me. I turned over and brought Twilight in close. Having her in my arms helped slightly. Sleep was a long way off for me, but I could feel Twilight fall asleep. We laid there, and I suffered until my body finally decided that I could go to sleep.