• Published 14th Oct 2022
  • 317 Views, 3 Comments

And With The Dawn Of True Peace - Lord Drayvon22



The unofficial sequel to "In The Twilight of Harmony’s End"

  • ...
 3
 317

A Fateful Decision

Princess Cadance watches Shining Armour pacing nervously after court wraps for the day. "It's okay, Shiny. We don't need to decide anytime soon."

Shining paces harder. "I know but what happens if we keep putting this off? Eventually, I'll become too old to go through with it and die. You're basically immortal whereas I have maybe forty to fifty years left if I get very lucky. If we have any children, they will likely spend most of thier lives without a father."

Cadance looks down. This has always been a worry for them and, though they have never let it get in the way of thier marriage, it has always been an unspoken issue. To avoid nepotism or giving power to tyrants simply because they're next in line to the throne, Alicorns in Equestria are never chosen by Celestia. Instead, they're chosen by a mixture of the Elements of Harmony and the world's latent magic with ascensions dependent on the pony passing certain very strict "rules."

Unfortunately, one of the main factors has to be some form of importance to the world as a whole. An importance so great that thier loss would have massive effects on Equus itself. Celestia and Luna controlled the sun and Moon, I'm the mistress of love and Twily is the ultimate wielder of magic who also happens to be both an Element Bearer and exceptionally good at bringing ponies together. Shining Armour does not ultimately matter and his passing will not effect the world at large. He's heroic and a fantastic ruler but not remarkable enough to be considered. For this reason, though she has always resented the fact that her husband will die long before she ever will, she doesn't blame her aunts since they have no more control over the process than her.

There are of course ways to bypass the ascension rule like the Alicorn Amulet or by merging with greater beings but Void only gained her status by being half made-up of a being formerly bonded to Luna and the Alicorn Amulet... just no. The new ruler of Equestria though has offered them a far easier and "safer" way to give Shining Armour effective immortality but the method worries them. From thier conversation with Rarity, they know how ridiculously painful the process is and doubt still lingers over Void's influence over her Dreads. Although they trust the Queen slightly more than before, to the extent of not wanting to overthrow her unless they have to since she is a popular and clearly benevolent ruler, they worry that she has control of Twilight and the others but allows them to retain thier personalities.

Shining experienced a powerful form of mind control first-hoof with Chrysalis during her wedding invasion and that was when she was still weak from love deprivation. How strong could the control be for an Alicorn at the height of her power? I can't deny that she has certainly made life better for ponies across Equestria but is it just a coincidence that the world's greatest heroes all happen to have been Dreadified? Did she punish them for what they did but also take them under her own control in the process to officiate her reign? By having the heroes of Equestria supporting her, she would after all look somewhat legitimate instead of just another tyrant.

As it stands, the only beings that pose a significant threat to Void and Equestria anymore are Chrysalis (who hasn't left her hive in over a year) and Discord who spies report to have been pacified since Fluttershy is the same and the fear surrounding Void's true intentions creates some enticing chaos that keeps him entertained.

Cadance is snapped out of her thought as Shining's face hardens into clear decision. "We have to go through with it, Cady."

His wife is slightly taken aback by the comment. "Are you sure? We don't have to do this if you don't want to. There must be another way."

Shining sighs as he shakes his head. "We've looked for two years and Princess Celestia looked for much, much longer. There is no alternative. I-I don't want you to have to watch me grow old and die. I don't want to be frozen at an age where I'm more of a burden to you than a husband. I...I...I..."

Cadance gives him a kiss and they hold hooves. "You're scared of dying, aren't you Shiny?" He nods slowly as she nuzzles him. "But what happens if this is a trick to take control of you?"

Shining Armour gives her a hug. "Even if that's true, at least we'll still be together."


Around a week later, Shining Armour and Princess Cadance walk calmly hoof in hoof into the throne room just as Void finishes court for the day. "Y-your highness?"

The Queen's frustrated scowl turns into a warm smile. "Good evening, Princess Cadance, Shining Armour. What can I do for you two? Another tour of Canterlot? Some tea?"

Shining shakes slightly at the serpentine eyes bearing done on him before stepping forward. "I've decided to take you up on your offer."

It takes all of his self-control not to run for the hills at the sight of Void's smile. "EXCELLENT! FINALLY!" Void slams her mouth shut and giggles. "Sorry, Nightmare hasn't done it to a willing victim yet so she's over the Moon." Rather than laughing at the pun, Cadance and Shining only exchange a perturbed look. "If I may ask, what prompted this decision? It's only been two months and I was expecting to wait at least another decade."

Shining looks sadly at his wife. "I don't want to die and leave Cady alone forever and, as I get older, I'll only become less able with time and I want to still be able to rule effectively." Cadance looks at him with proud tears in her eyes before he locks eyes with the ecstatic monarch. "I don't care how painful it is or what you do to me afterwards, I just want to be with my wife and be able to look after my subjects."

Void smiles reassuringly. "I can assure you, Shining, that you have made the right decision." Her face becomes serious. "Remember, this is your last chance to pull out. I can stop this right here and we can forget we ever had this conversation."

Shining looks defiantly at her. "Do it."

Void looks at him proudly. "You truly are one of a kind, Shining Armour. The future will be much better with you helping to guide it." Instead of generating a shadowy blade as before, Void fires a powerful black coloured laser from her horn straight into Shining Armour's heart. The strike is so sudden that he can only release a wheeze like he just had the air punched out of him before crumpling to the floor. "Straight shot of darkness through the heart. Quick, painless and efficient."

Cadance meanwhile is deathly pale as she sees her beloved stop breathing whilst dark tendrils consume his body. "Y-you killed him. W-we trusted you and you killed him."

Void flashes her a comforting smile. "I merely stopped his heart but the darkness will sustain him until he’s ready. This is a far less painful way to Dreadify ponies but also a much slower one." She smiles at the slight look of relief on Cadance's face before teleporting them to Princess Luna's former chambers where she levitates Shining Armour onto the bed.

"Like Twilight, his magic reserves are strong and will need time to be converted but he should be awake by morning." She turns to the door. "There'll be a guard outside so just call if you need anything." With that, she leaves and Cadance pulls up a chair to watch over her husband.


Shining Armour slowly opens his eyes with some effort as he finds himself in an unfamiliar room.

"Wh-where am I?" He hears a very loud but relieved gasp and feels a body slam into him. "YOU'RE ALIVE!!!"

Shining looks down at Cadance with a smile. "Yes, I'm alright. Has the Dreadification happened?"

Pulling back for a moment, Cadance nervously eyes him head to toe. "Yes but are you still... you?"

Shining takes a moment to examine himself; black fur where there once was white but still a Unicorn and he retains his blue mane and tail. "I... think so. I feel like myself and I don't think I'm being controlled by Queen Void."

Princess Cadance then locks him in a hug and kiss which he happily returns. Though he may no longer be completely Pony, his beloved wife will never have to worry about outliving him ever again. Come what may, they'll be able to face any danger together.