• Published 18th Sep 2022
  • 417 Views, 3 Comments

The Last Dragon Lord - TheApostate



The rule of the Great Dragon came to an abrupt close. And an end that would leave all ruined.

  • ...
3
 3
 417

The Aftermath

And you, my father, look how things are bright; bright in the dark bay.

-Unknown poet.

‘Excuse me?’ demanded Celestia to the kneeling Duke of Fillydelphia and the Countess of Dappleshore with an ever so obfuscated hint of worry beneath her voice but noticeable enough to make Luna’s ears twitch. ‘The Dragon Lord has gone mad?’

‘Yes, your Highness,’ he answered, keeping his tone assured and his eyes away from both Sisters.

‘I am surprised she has awakened for once,’ jokingly added Luna. ‘And it would explain the thunder we heard.’

Celestia briefly smiled on the side. ‘Is there material damage to be deplored?’

‘No, my Lady. However, Baltimare, we, and others would require assistance in providing for the injured Dragons.’

‘How many are still trickling in?’ asked Luna.

‘We did not conduct a census-’

‘So, great numbers?’ she insisted.

‘Yes, but when we’ve left, they were sustainable numbers. We can accommodate for the foreseeable situation. But we are not experts in their biology – mages are required.’

Celestia spoke. ‘The request is granted, Duke Jade Jester. We-’

‘Equip them,’ added Luna with all the authority of her title. ‘Equip those able.’

‘The levees and militias were already partially raised, your Majesty. All mages are all on full readiness.’

Luna nodded and began to utter a word, but the older sister spoke in her stead. ‘We will convey to address it further with our advisors. There, you and the Countess can present the further needs of the Dragons more clearly together. However, before parsing more of the matter – may you leave us alone?’

He bowed, still not making eye contact, and left, constantly wondering if he had conducted himself properly in front of his rulers.

‘Can we survive the Dragon Lord?’ inquired Celestia, letting her concern out to Luna.

‘We will. Because… simply we will,’ she answered dourly, almost annoyed by the question.

Celestia returned with a quiet acceptance of the fact. In all their years, there had been little to prove them the contrary. Both of them are immortal after all – they had to eventually come to terms with it. Immortal, but not un-immune to a well-placed wound or the wrath of a Magna Dracii. Her time with Cornelia had proven it.

Luna continued. ‘Equestria can be rebuilt in time, but I don’t want to have all these lives on my conscience.’ She paused to turn. ‘I will lead armies down south-’

‘You will pass the jungles?! Are you mad?’

‘I know what I ought to do, Celestia,’ she nearly snarled. ‘Firstly, however, I will contact Valyr on my own; better to not provoke them with a false display of force.’

‘True. You want me to follow you?’

‘No,’ she asserted. ‘Secondly, when I finish with Valyr, only the Pegasi will follow me south; the others will stand on the outskirts. You can stay here and stand vigil around Canterlot and the region surrounding. Also, tell Jade Jester and whatever the other ones are named to prepare the Dragons they have under custody for a potential engagement. Even if only as basic auxiliary forces.’

‘They are injured, Luna. They will not be too welcoming of such demands.’

‘Just do what I say. If they want to dream of a future in Equestria, they should fight for Equestria. I trust you to fulfill these demands.’ She walked away from the thrones.

‘Of course,’ relented Celestia.

‘I’ve sent the order for local levees. I expect it to be complete in a week,’ she felt the need to add.

Celestia raised her eyebrows and then quickly rested them. ‘Will it be enough?’

‘At the start – yes.’

‘At the start…’ she worried.

‘I will make sure it does not evolve past “the start”…’ She doubted herself for a moment, but her sister needed reassurance.

‘Good luck… Stay safe.’

She halted. ‘I will. I promise.’ Luna’s half-smile did not sit well with Celestia, but Luna was gone before she could question her more. And Celestia wasn’t sure if she wanted to know the obvious.

****

Valyr and Derkoma landed on the ruined edge of the Mountain. Ophis had gone his own path – as was expected of him. He, quite surprisingly, seemed to have shown some modicum of care for creatures outside himself. Though it was perhaps to not finally turn his back on the corpses-strewed land. They could not judge him for no longer wanting to peer directly at the ruins of their domain.

The two Validir friends kept the remains of Chordata and the corpse of Squamata purposefully from their field of vision. The only thing that kept them moving forth was the hope of finding Syln and Aramunth – or, at least, what could be left of them.

Deep down, Valyr had an awful suspicion of their fate but kept it from Derkoma. He never understood their relationship; she seldom sought his aid when disputes would break out, but she would jump directly to defend him if anything would occur. Though she never minded that. Aramunth never had been the sharpest of the bunch, instead boasting a carefree attitude that she found appealing. Valyr did not care enough to question Derkoma and Aramunth about the nature of their relationship, but he had always thought that he and Syln were closer. Again, he did not care. But their death would desolate him if it had turned out to be true.

Through their careful walk, one question plagued them: What happened? Why had Cornelia done it?



They grabbed a sharp rock and in the other claw an abrasive crystal.

They all gathered behind the ruined escarpments, their presence further hidden by the fumes of destruction and the heat of magma.

In unison, they surged from the walls of the outer Eye in a prompt attack on the two unsuspecting Validir. They drowned their lords in fire, raising the temperature to unprecedented levels, forcing a retreat of the initial force for the second wave to come forth. One of the first wave lunged forward in front of her peers and plunged her make-shift weapons into Derkoma’s scales, piercing her skin. It took her little effort to crush the dragoness but then her fellows harried themselves upon their sovereigns – Derkoma clearly their main target. Another managed to reach the heart, to then be killed by Valyr’s rapid actions, still fending off his own assailers. They wanted to disgorge their internal inferno; the landscape reminded them how bad it would make them appear.

Hundreds continued to pour onto the Validir. Every attacking Dragon was killed effortlessly, but they were determined and left slashes on their scales and cut deep into their exposed flesh. Gradually, Derkoma weakened, but Valyr, used to the damage Syln would inflict, was not openly bothered by them. Using his tail, he crushed flocks upon the confused ground. His wings hurled many more meters ahead, distracting them enough for his tail to cut them down in drove. Though in his action he had left his front almost exposed, and with the defense of Derkoma, injuries mounted rapidly. One managed to sneak past his attention and land a cut on his right arm, severing a vein and ripping muscles. Valyr readily ended the attacker’s life with a punch, slamming it to the ground and leaving nothing but a red dot. The pain was intense; his fingers ached from both motions. Yet he did not relent. He continued his battle.

Derkoma had the leather of her wings torn open. While distracted by his assailer, a group moved from behind the dragoness and impaled their makeshift swords on her exposed back.

She bellowed a roar like Valyr had rarely heard and lunged forward, attacking frantically and randomly all that came in front of her. Flames bellowed between clenched teeth; she clawed, tore, and rendered all that stood in front with seamless ease. She was more exposed; even as her injuries tallied, Derkoma did not waver and attacked, attacked, attacked.

Seeing his chance, Valyr moved forward.

The acting leader of the small army, wearing the garment of a Crystal Singer, understood the turn things had taken. The Singer ordered a withdrawal.

The thought of attacking them and drowning them in flames passed through the Validir minds; the sin of the action would stir worse repercussions upon them.

‘Are you alright?’ panted Valyr.

‘I-I am.’ The pain of her injuries jolted, but she forced it down. ‘I… pant… am,’ she said again with great effort.

‘Can you walk?’ He restrained his breathing.

‘I… yes… I think I-I can do fine.’ She stiffened her pose to a less exposed one, letting away the defeated dog silhouette she had offered. ‘Let us find Aramunth and Syln.’

Valyr nodded, but remained beside Derkoma just in case.

Not thinking twice, and ignoring the blood gushing down their scales and limbs crying for respite, they rushed to the Mountain, dearly hoping to find their kin there.

First, slowly, they walked toward both friends’ favorite hanging spot. There, those that had been their flock joined the Validir, though they kept an apprehensive eye upon them. The sentiment was foreign to them. The Dragons would dispute, but it had never come to attempted assassinations. They were, they had thought, better than that. Petty revenge was simply the work of the lesser races.

However, some of those that had joined proved useful: they knew where Syln lay, though, for his status, they were unsure.



‘Let me help you,’ said Valyr, extending his left claw to the injured Syln; Derkoma dug the rocks still surrounding the Champion of the Feast of Claws.

Syln eyed him with the aggression and apprehension of a predator. ‘I don’t require your help, cur,’ he grumbled in a stiffened roar that made Valyr reconsider aiding his friend.

‘You are gravely injured. You can’t be serious.’

‘Valyr is right,’ cursed Derkoma. She pushed the Validir aside to tend for Syln.

‘Wh- Where is she?’ growled Syln.

‘She flew away in this direction.’ Valyr pointed toward the forest of once Squamata.

‘We-’ something in her back stinged. ‘We d-don’t know where exactly,’ added Derkoma.

Curse the Great Dragon.’ The slur surprised them. Syln, the most loyal of the Validir to the Mother of Dragons, cursing Cornelia? Then the Calamity and his charcoaled scales reminded Derkoma and Valyr of the reason behind his words. ‘Are your children okay?’ asked Syln, cursing as Derkoma touched his exposed skin.

‘They were on my Islands – so yes, they are fine. Excuse me, Syln.’

‘Right… I’ve forgotten. You both fought? You look horrendous, Derkoma.’

She took him between her arms but struggled to lift his bulk. Valyr moved to assist. Syln cursed every combination of words he had learned or imagined. He could almost force them to put him down with his still working claws, but they carefully laid him on a more even ground – on a slate they could lift when needed.

‘Where is Aramunth?’ asked Derkoma.

‘Incinerated. Completely evaporated,’ sighted Syln.

Something changed in Derkoma, like defeat and complete capitulation took her over in a second. Her eyes narrowed, and her expression darkened. The pain of her injuries did not seem to phase her, as something deeper had been taken from her forever. She fixated Syln with vacant intent; he took one of her claws with his dark charcoal one. She accepted it without returning the grip back. And Syln wished he could have done something to save Aramunth.

Valyr gritted his teeth, forcing the misery of the revelation down his soul. He could wallow on his own later.

‘I know she is powerful,’ said Ophis, appearing from behind a pile of rock, ‘but this much… Even the Crystal Singers were not spared. What has happened to the Great Mountain, Syln?’

‘She snapped,’ he grumbled. ‘The old hag snapped. A griffon, a pony, or whatever it had moved in-’

‘Just like that? He just waltzes in?’ Valyr raised his voice. For the usually quiet and contemplative Validir, it was surprising.

The surprise calmed Syln’s rage ‘She lit him move unimpeded! You should have destroyed it!’

‘Like I could! It was her wish!’

‘Always excuses!’

Shut it!’ roared Derkoma, letting go of Syln’s claw and marching a few steps away from the rest.

Valyr ignored both of them and turned to meet Ophis.

‘Have you addressed the Crystal Singers?’

‘Those still on the surface I could find. Most have found refuge in the caverns. I will wait a bit before contacting those.’

‘No. You will force your way through,’ ordered Valyr. ‘We need their talents more than ever. And gather every one of them on the surface; I will follow you from a distance.’

‘Why-’

‘And who are you to give us orders?’ accused Syln. ‘You might be her favorite but it does not make you our leader.’

‘It is no time for bickering.’ Valyr tried to ignore him as he approached Ophis.

‘He is right, Syln,’ said Derkoma, defeated. ‘At least, he might be able to calm her if she returns.’

‘Don’t defend him! We need retribution. We need to find Cornelia and kill her.’

‘Chordata, Squamata, and Aramunth,’ listed Ophis. ‘All dead. We are the last remaining – with your children, Derkoma.’

We have to defeat her; to kill her in her grief,’ again proposed Syln, barely holding his wrath.

‘Do it then,’ said Ophis in an annoyingly calm tone. ‘I won’t participate.’

‘But you would not object?’ asked Syln with a hint of excitement.

‘If you chose to do so, I don’t care what course you elect to follow – all of you,’ he pointed out.

‘If you are done negotiating your own plans,’ objected Valyr, ‘the future of our race is at stake here.’

‘As long as she lives, we will never rest. And you, Derkoma, do you agree?’ he sneered.

‘The continentals are the problem. They are to blame,’ she said, not wishing to add more to it.

‘Do you really think Luna would endanger us?’ wondered Syln.

Derkoma nodded in approval. ‘Why not? She is apprehensive to us.’

A message appeared next to them in glistening green, yellow flames; in a sound that felt like air was being sucked away as it appeared.

Valyr took it and read it. ‘Speaking of which: she is coming here. In an hour.’



The air churned around the gathered Validir – they had not strayed far from the Mountain but enough to keep Syln safe from unwanted claws. A form made itself extant, slowly materializing into a cohesive whole. Valyr wondered if it was simple theatrics on Luna’s part or the actual display of teleportation. The Crystal Singers were the most potent magic users of their species, but even the old Karendas had not been that powerful to wield that kind of magic. He and his peers could levitate and conjure crystals with outstanding speed and deadliness when required. However, the effort would drain them utterly for a while.

Ophis and Derkoma stood behind Valyr, with the former staying a good distance from the rest except for Syln. Each of them had an opinion of Luna and her distant sister; Valyr liked her but stayed apprehensive, Derkoma was neutral but preferred to not be in her presence, Syln and Ophis did not care but each on his corner. Aramunth and the rest of their dead brethren shared that spectrum; Aramunth helping Derkoma to warm up to “the Bringer of Night".

‘Greetings.’

‘Princess.’ They bowed, though Luna sensed Derkoma’s ever-present disgust towards her presence.

‘I… What happened? We were told of the Dragon Lord going mad.’

‘She did,’ answered Derkoma, holding her anger. ‘Your friend, killed Aramunth, Chordata, and Squamata. Explain this to us, little blue one.’

Luna ignored the slur; she directed her to walk toward the grumbling Syln.

He met her directly in the eyes, and with a sudden movement, he lunged forward. Reacting quickly, Luna rose a protective bubble around her. Syln did not care and grabbed the ball, trying to unsuccessfully burst it and crush Cornelia’s collaborators.

It was exhilarating. The rush of an emotion forgotten washed over Luna. She felt powerful; able to take all of them at once. She knew she could do it. It would have been simple. But she resisted the call; it would have been too problematic.

Derkoma rushed to force Syln to liberate his grasp.

Luna ordered her to leave them aside. Immediately afterward, an electric discharge disgorged over Syln’s body. Syln roared in a brief whimper and let go of Luna as he began to fall. Luckily, she was able to levitate the Validir before he would have reached the ground.

Luna remained sky-bound, fearing any other attack. She hesitated to heal Syln, but finally elected to perform it in the end.

An immediate spike of unbearable pain took over her. She staggered and fell.

Valyr moved forth and grabbed Luna like a doll. She rested her head for a bit, unsure if Valyr or Derkoma had spoken to her. She woke up shortly after, founding herself still in Valyr’s claws; she did not debate. She found the thing funny and elected to play with it further.

‘I should make a doll big enough for you, Valyr.’

‘Quiet.’ She knew he liked those kinds of gifts; a secret only Derkoma and Squamata knew of.

Derkoma smirked at her remark. Then the Mistress of the Eastern Isles raised her claw to preemptively stop any further word from being uttered.

‘A boat is approaching,’ Derkoma had noticed. ‘And fast.’

‘He lives!’ shouted Syln, vibrating the air with great force.

Valyr lowered to see if Luna had withheld the roar well.

+Cornelia was worse+ she whispered in his mind; even for him, Luna’s chosen method of communication from behind her sound-proof envelope ached too much for him to hide.

‘Sorry.’

‘Don’t-’ He cleared his head. ‘Don’t ever repeat it.’

‘Excuse me, Valyr.’

‘Accepted,’ he grunted. He then threw Luna like a bird you would free after catching. Taken aback by his act, it took her a second to understand what had just happened. Nearly catastrophically landing on the ground before catching herself midflight, Luna eyed him with distaste, but Derkoma put a break in their inevitable talk.

‘Be calm, Syln. Ophis,’ she gestured for him to approach, ‘confirm it to me.’

Walking almost uncaringly, Ophis obliged. ‘Oh!’ The surprise changed his monotone voice. ‘The Banished is coming for a visit… How convenient.’

Syln ponderously rose to then let himself fall on a rock wall. ‘I hope Varanus knows where the bloody murderer has gone to.’

‘Be weary of him,’ warned Derkoma.

‘I will assist,’ assured Luna, not knowing who that Varanus was; it had been a couple of decades since she and Cornelia had met.

None objected to her offer and none wished to expand on that mysterious personage.



A slender-built Drake came down wooden embarkation. It was not something frugal: barely put together though appearing as solid as the greatest ships wrought by the shipbuilders of Marywich (the old name of Manehattan). The Dragon was half-hooded, protecting his back head from the Sun and wary of the hood falling from his head. He was holding a wooden walking staff in his left claw; Luna sensed nothing malicious out of the staff, though Varanus had an aura of power.

‘You haven’t changed,’ welcomed Valyr without any pretense of diplomacy.

‘And you have – all of you. Syln,’ he shook his head in a sarcastic display, ‘I don’t like the colors.’

Syln grunted in buildup exasperation. He then moved to adjust his numbing arm. As soon as the Validir stood on his two legs, he was pinned down and forced to the ground with a force that made him roar in unsupportable pain. Valyr and Derkoma reacted but found themselves fighting for every breath like fishes out of water; coupled with injuries taken prior, they joined him on the ground. Ophis had not wished to meet eyes with Varanus.

Luna was the next to feel something wreathing her, promptly acting like a weight on her soul. It did not take root long; she denied it from holding her down. Her horn shined in a bright blue hue. Tarrask looked at it and saw the anger-focused expression of Luna; the first signs of fright enveloped his face. She could feel the magical energies coalescing, sensing with great alarm that she was withholding some magical spell of untold power. Every escape route and contingencies raced in his mind, not wanting to feel what the Alicorn would deliver upon him.

He could gradually make his way back onto his ship, cloaking it to hide its presence. He could run to the undergrounds and stay with the Crystal Singer. Surely, Cornelia’s friend would be sensible enough to not attack the most respected cast of their kind-

The glow surged in intensity; an intense flash followed with a great discharge nullified the Varanus’ hold and powers on the Validir. He could still feel the magic coursing, but a far cry from being able to slam a Validir to the ground.

She walked toward him, limping briefly at the start. He did not run.

‘You are powerful, Tarask.’

‘Tarrask,’ he corrected with a certain enjoyment. ‘And yes – I was gifted with those powers.’

‘Gifted by whom?’ her voice was like an avalanche.

‘By my birth, Paranoid One,’ he smirked. ‘I was chanced upon by fate to have earned my powers.’

She returned the gesture. ‘To have been able to… calm the Validir – you are more than gifted.’

‘I can assure you, Night Maiden, I am like you: born with those powers.’

‘But I was not exiled for mine.’

He chuckled. ‘That’s what you were told? I am terribly sorry for who the supposed paragons of the Dragons lie. Oh, I was not exiled for those – I could have been a very talented Singer. I was exiled for my only crime had been to have seen the truth of the madness of precious Cornelia before any of you ever had.’

The revelation of the Validir’s lie was not especially unexpected. In fact, she half-expected it to be something of that sort – she would wait for Cornelia to reveal more about the true historical background. ‘And you come here to espouse leadership?’

‘Why not? I am not a slave to her will like they are. Besides, the time of the Validir will come to an eventual end – right, Derkoma? The Validir don’t have descendants; they are their last generation. However, we are numerous. We are many; we can be self-sufficient. The Dragon Lord will be me or anyone else of my rank. You are a dying breed; you are unnatural. But we are not. We are true creatures. You are not and never will be.’

‘Define “true creature”,’ proposed Luna, interested in what he would laden her with.

‘Those that are not self-destructive. Derkoma’s children will be the last of them. Afterward, there will be only us.’

‘And what about the Mother of Dragons?’ curious to hear his answer.

‘A fancy name that was taken by a being that was mother to nothing except compliance and oblivion.’

Syln faintly grunted; Varanus laughed to himself.

Luna stood beside him, equal in height next to the slender built, silver sharp eyed Tarrask. ‘And my sister and I?’ she asked, half curious and wary of an answer that could displease her.

‘Also unnatural.’ The words hit hard; he had said them with the surety of someone knowing full well that he was right. ‘Though, you are more divine in nature. Unlike them and Cornelia, you Sisters are part of the natural order.’ He paused to twirl his staff in his claw. ‘On the topic of you most esteemed personages – what is Harmony, Princess Luna?’

‘Harmony is the want to improve your people livelihood and make them achieve their greatest potential, thus the entire realm’s potential.’

‘How do you arrive at that greatness? Through which means?’

‘According to the circumstances at present.’

‘Wonderfully vague! Genius move from you both,’ he sarcastically boasted.

‘I don’t wish to debate with you on the nature of ideology, Banished. I have no time for you.’

‘Of course you don’t,’ he chuckled, holding on to a retort he wasn’t sure how well she would take it. ‘Does the Friendship thing you so espouse a part of that ideology?’ the word was saccharin.

Luna forced the first words that came into her mind to retain their mind-bound selves. ‘It does.’

‘Now I feel stupid even asking.’

She smiled; it appeared more like a smirk. ‘You are not the maddened cur you were described as.’

He half-bowed in respect. ‘Of course not, Queen of Night.’

She winced. ‘I am no queen.’

Tarrask laughed. ‘I’ve wagered you would lie. Yes – you are not queen – but you and your sister sure act like ones. Like empresses even. Like-’

‘Watch your words, Banished,’ she threatened.

He did not budge. That being standing in front of him with hidden pride was immensely powerful (he heard the stories of old and the reverences of isolated tribes). But he had witnessed a slither of Cornelia’s anger; Luna's posturing did not faze him anymore. ‘The truth always hurts. I have experience with those living in illusions. It does not matter in the end: a title is a title, and only those worthy can wear it, Maiden of Dreams. An empress or lady; it means nothing if you are respected regardless.’

‘I have no time nor care for your politics-’

‘Of course, Lady of Night. That is one of the reasons I’ve returned here after being so unceremoniously quieted by the Validir and their slaving bastard Mother.’ He pointed the staff to the Fire Sea in an incredibly rapid movement that took Luna aback. ‘Somewhere in the northern and eastern jungles. For more details, however, ally with the local tribes. Some – I have no doubt – will readily accept to assist you. And trust me, Princess Luna, if things move according to your inner wish: it will be the last time you will have to deal with us.’