• Published 20th Aug 2022
  • 409 Views, 3 Comments

Sprout's Wall - Illinois Mapping



Sprout is known to many as clumsy and a source of humor. But behind that, he has a much deeper personality. As his personal experiences end up pushing Sprout away from others, they form bricks in his wall of isolation.

  • ...
0
 3
 409

5. The Beige Bricks

The war. The death of my father. The Starscouts. The mob at the school. All of these things seemed to take a toll on my mother. The most of this change was seen in her hopes to keep me safe. She’s become more and more protective of me after each event, trying to keep me away from dangers such as pegasi, unicorns, and of course, Sunny. However, Sunny seemed to change after the uprising at the school. I think she noticed how the mob got out of hand too quickly, and it caused lives to be endangered, which was the opposite of her motive of peace. She continued to try and convince others to help those outside of our borders, but they normally failed. One day, Sunny was able to create a bake sale with her amazing cupcake-baking skills (she claims them to be rainbow flavored, with a secret ingredient being the key to the amazing taste). I believe she got a total of zero customers, and eventually, she just decided to send the cupcakes away via lantern (probably hoping to attract a “friend” from one of the outsider cities). Hitch stuck to his promise and continued to try and ensure Sunny remained under control. He also easily surpassed me as the top candidate for future sheriff, completing any task thrown at him with ease. The sheriff began to give me easier tasks. Tasks that “only a deputy could do”, although Hitch could’ve probably also have done those. However, whenever I asked about why my tasks weren’t challenging enough, the task of keeping an eye on Sunny was brought up, and my mother would do anything to keep me away from her as if I had a restraining order.

After the school burned down, my mother had been attempting to homeschool me herself. It was certainly better than the threats our school had been giving us (for once, I can thank Sunny), but it felt like my mom didn’t know what she was doing. A lot of the time, she would do what she did best and seep her morals on segregation into me, which worked well, but other than that, it felt as though her attempts to teach me would only set me forward by a step or two, and I needed something more than just world history. The incident at the school also made my mom mistrust most of the kids, meaning my only social interactions besides my mother were with Hitch and the sheriff. Nowadays, a lot of ponies claim that I still act like a 4th grader would, and it all leads back to my lack of social development. I could hardly ever have so much as a conversation with the other foals in the city, and Hitch was getting more and more caught up in law enforcement (and his friendship with Sunny), and we only saw each other during training, so I spent the rest of the time with my mother, who didn’t seem to care about my social skills, as long as I’m safe.

Sometimes, I’d ask why I wasn’t able to really talk to anyone, and she gave me the same serious look as she did at the factory that one day.

“Listen, sugarcube. After what happened with Sunny at school-”

“Yeah, I know, but that was Sunny,” I quickly interrupted. “Most of the foals were just angry with the teachers for hurting them all this time.”

“Do you know if they were?” She replied.

“Well… I… They wouldn’t…” I couldn’t respond.

“You see? You can’t trust anyone. Listen here, sugarcube. Mama’s gonna make sure you’re safe and sound. I will make sure you’re cozy and warm, and I’ll make sure you’re….clean.” She stated.

“Yes, but how do you know? They’re not all like her. I just want some friends, mom.” I replied.

“Don’t you have Hitch? He’s always nice, isn’t he?” She asked.

“Yes, but….but…” I gave up and sighed.

“Listen, sugarcube” She tilted my head towards her face. “I will ensure that no one…dirty will get through to you. I’m not going to let you leave my sight, and if you do leave my sight, I’ll find out where you’ve been. You understand?”

I couldn’t do anything but nod.

“Good, now just remember I’m here for you, always.” She smiled and then patted me on the head.

Now all I could think of was that I didn’t need anyone else. I have Hitch, and he’s good enough. Sure, he may have helped Sunny, but he apologized, and it just shows how loyal he is to others. I couldn’t think of a name off the top of my head of someone at that school who didn’t contribute to the mob, and for all I know, they could all be spies or something for Sunny, trying to squeeze into my brain and make me think that our enemies are not so bad. Yeah, they aren’t so bad, except they could pick you up and take you away, or fry your brain with an easy zap. Despite my feelings, the children are easily swayed, and Sunny’s motive may have gotten through to them.

Then a few weeks later, Sunny’s point would be blown to bits, literally.