• Published 31st May 2022
  • 1,092 Views, 74 Comments

The Red Knight - PhantomBulwark



Sunset Shimmer, a young squire, becomes so much more than what destiny had planned. Is she truly a knight? Is she more than the peasant she was born as?

  • ...
4
 74
 1,092

Chapter 17: Battle Dawn

It was the fourth day after Sunset relayed her plan and slowly it was coming together. Every day a portion of the Solar guard slipped away and disappeared into the bog, their numbers dwindling. Today, the last of the guardsmen would make the journey into Froggy Bottom and they would begin the march to flank the enemy. Her own men were prepared and Spitfire had selected her scouts.



The two women stood over their map when Rainbow Dash approached, “we’ve seen a scouting party,” she announced, “they’re a long way out from the gorge yet but Spitfire should go out soon.”



Sunset nodded, and turned to the Captain. “Are you ready for this? You’ll need to look like your scouting and be just careless enough to be seen.”



Spitfire grinned, “The timing is perfect. Our last company just left and it’s nearing dark. My men and I can look as if we’re making a small camp out there, even the changelings won’t be dumb enough to miss us if we’re sitting ducks.”



Sunset nodded, “How many men do you have?”



“My own team numbers five, plus your seven. That makes us number thirteen, counting me.”



“Perfect size for an advanced scouting party, will you leave soon?”



“At once… Commander.” And with that, Spitfire took her leave. In only moments, the low rumble of hooves sounded as her company rode toward the open land that lay between them and the enemy.



Sunset sighed softly and stretched her neck, “rally the others. We need to finish the preparations for tomorrow.”



Dash hesitated for a moment. “Can I get you anything?”



She gave a pained smile, “Just, hope.”



“You inspire hope in us all, Sunset.” When Dash left her, she slumped onto her little cot and dreamed. She dreamed of Twilight and bloodshed and of the darkness of Luna’s night sky.



The next morning woke them with rain. It poured from the sky like the ocean itself was being emptied over their heads. But it did not stop them. Sunset assembled her men around the mouth of Ghastly Gorge and prepared for war.



“Spearmen at the front!” she barked, “swordsmen behind… Rainbow take your archers up the ridge on the right, Pinkie take yours to the left!” Soldiers sprang to and fro, scrambling to follow orders even as the dark sky continued its attempts to drown them.



“Sunset,” Shining jogged over, “we’re ready.”



She nodded absently, “where’s Flash?”



“I sent him to the western road to find a messenger for the letters we collected. I thought it might keep him busy.”



“If he returns before this is over he’ll want to fight.” She scrubbed her face with her palm. “Can I deny him the right to do so?”



“I’ll put him on the ridge with the spotter. Blaze is about his age, he can keep him clear of the fighting and he won’t feel as… left out.”



She nodded again but said nothing.



“Are you alright?”



“A few months ago I was a squire with a dead master and delusions of grandeur… and now I have a whole regiment depending on me.” She looked up, “I shouldn’t even be here Shining. Would you feel okay?”



He had no response, and so he said nothing.



All night Sunset and her closest friends and advisors patrolled the Gorge, watching and waiting. The rain poured ever down and down, even as darkness overtook them. The moon made no appearance that night, hidden behind the clouds and the only light was from lighting flashing above them.



No fire could be lit, else their foe might see and so they donned cloaks. Many held shields over one another’s heads to stave off the lethal chill. Sunset wondered at the faces around her… how many would she fail? How many letters would she be obligated to write? How many apologies would she have to issue?



Few slept, none of them peacefully. Sunset dozed only in turns, dread and cold clinging to the inside of her ribs. She was in one of her slumbers when it began.



The sound of a horn split the muffled damp of night, the blast shaking loose the cold in their bones.



“To the line!” Sunset roared, leaping to her feet and taking her place at the head of their number. A half-dozen voices echoed her orders and soldiers sprang as if from the ground on either side.



Out of the stillness of the dark a light shone, far sooner than they expected. Spitfire’s company bore down on them with haste. She was at the forefront, reins in one hand and a glowing torch held aloft in the other.



As they approached Sunset steeled herself and at the last second, “OPEN RANKS.” Like a wave their line spit in two and their friends barreled through. Spitfire wheeled around and dismounted, snatching a sword from a nearby soldier and taking a place at Sunset’s back.



“CLOSE RANKS.”



Just as the last of the gap sealed, Chrysalis’s first wave appeared on the horizon line, black as death against the light of the rising sun.



Spitfire spat in disgust, “the whore put an arrow through my favorite horse.”



As if in answer, an arrow fell just before Sunset’s feet. She grimaced, “I’ll do my best to help you return the insult my friend.”



Spitfire snorted. Another dozen arrows buried themselves in the dirt.



The morning of battle was dawning.