• Published 16th Aug 2023
  • 157 Views, 3 Comments

Flurryverse - wildnature03



A next gen fic - where picture perfect Flurry Heart is close to snapping and it's up to Cousin Nebula and friends to either save her... or not.

  • ...
 3
 157

Chapter 1

The soft sounds of hoofprints upon the crystal ground echoed in the dark corridors. The hardened cherry-hued hooves held a slight sheen, even in the shadows cast through the current night. They clipped sharper on the ground with each delicate step as the royal Princess moved restlessly.

Her face was drawn, her worry lines edged upon her expression as both heavy and frequently expressed. Her back tail flicked lightly but constant as she worked her jaw, mumbling to herself.

Narrow opal eyes gazed out of the window to the stars and full moon, as the Princess fell silent for a moment.

“Princess Flurry Heart?” A very hesitant servant appeared, an Earth pony trailing behind with her head bowed low as she wondered, with good reason, why the Princess was out of her room in the dead of night. “Are you having trouble sleeping? Would you like help from Princess Luna?”

“No, I do not need help,” Flurry Heart said icily, without glancing back. Her eyes were glued to the moon, narrowing her gaze as her jaw began to work again. “Leave me.”

“But it’s very late, my Lady. Perhaps some tea…”

“I SAID LEAVE ME!”

The earth pony made a startled noise and scurried off as the Princess snorted. “I’m not tired. I don’t need help, not from the other Princesses. I’m FINE.”

She turned back toward the corridor and began her long walk again. “I am fine. This is fine. It’s all fine.”

Princess Flurry Heart forced a smile as her eyes darkened. “It’s all going to be fine. I’m going to be perfect.”


Morning came to the smell of breakfast flowing through the castle. Nebula didn’t know how her father did it but maybe it was because when he made breakfast, he made it for everyone around them.

Even if it were her favorite.

“Pancakes!” Nebula lunged for the kitchen table, nearly toppling herself in the process. She was still mussed from the sleep, her hair a rat’s nest but she didn’t really care about how others saw her.

Well, technically that was a lie but since those who worked in the Friendship Castle were carefully vetted and had no problems with who were her father was and who she was, she didn’t have a problem with those who were around her -currently-.

“Here is some strawberries and cream to add,” Sombra pushed the bowls toward his daughter as she used her magic to decorate her pancakes.

Sombra, the once feared and dangerous Umbra King was now a powerless, useless unicorn currently married to Princess Twilight Sparkle and yes, Nebula’s dearest father.

She might have a parental favorite, but Nebula tried very hard not to show it too much when around her mother.

Twilight Sparkle entered with a hurried flourish, sending orders by magic as fast as she wrote them. She was mumbling to herself as she sat down next to her husband who gave her a kiss as she absently smiled, still lost in trying to finish her list for the morning.

“Mom, am I going to have to take the list away again?”

“OH!”

Twilight Sparkle looked up at her daughter with embarrassment, then glanced at her husband who eyed her with a knowing gaze. “Oh, dear, I’m sorry, my loves! I woke up to notes all over the desk this morning and it just seemed to start so early and I didn’t want to be overwhelmed and…”

“Mom, you know the rules. Family time comes first.”

“Yes, yes, of course!” Her mother agreed wholeheartedly, transporting all notes out of sight. “Out of sight, out of mind.”

“Like that’ll work,” Sombra teased gently, passing her a plate of warm cakes. “Strawberries and cream, love?”

“Oh, I don’t think I need the extra calories,” Twilight Sparkle said hesitantly.

“Mom, eat it. You always forget meals as it is so might as well stuff yourself now,” Nebula did the same as she opened her mouth and filled it with the triad of food from her plate. She tried to talk as her mother rolled her eyes at her.

“Don’t talk with your mouth full, dear. It’s rude.” But Twilight Sparkle decorated her pancakes with the strawberries and cream, helping Sombra as well though he attempted to tell her that he was more than capable of using his hooves to do so.

Nebula loved watching her parents interact. They were so cute and adorable sometimes, it could be sickening sweet, but Twilight Sparkle was always so thoughtful when it came to Sombra and visa versa.

She finished her meal with ease and pushed off. “Mom, Dad, I’m going to head out into town. There wasn’t anything planned today, am I right?”

“No, no, nothing that I know of. I’m sure Spike would’ve told me by now,” Twilight Sparkle laughed softly at that.

“Be safe, love,” Sombra offered warmly. “If you’re back in time for lunch, we can get together, alright?”

“Sure, but I’m not sure yet when I’ll return.”

Nebula nodded to the housekeeper who scurried in to clean up after her as she left the room. It wasn’t long before the unicorn had left the castle and delved into Ponyville.

It was still a small town in comparison to the rest of Equestria. Those who lived there were quick to be sure to make it that it wasn’t overrun by overpopulation so if any did want to live there, they were extremely vetted and controlled.

However, visitors and travelers were more than welcome to come and go as they wanted. So, the town was always bustling with a lot of life, different variety of beings from all walks of life from across the lands, from Equestria, and beyond because of Princess Twilight Sparkle and her hero friends.

Nebula took in the morning air, looking up at the clear skies to spy the random white cloud still left in view. The sun was starting to warm up the day as she walked down the main street, taking in the usual smell and feel of the town only to sense something along her spine.

Before turning, she spoke. “Hey, CC.”

“Well, darn it,” Oversized corn-colored-tipped wings fluttered as a saffron colored Pegasus landed. Her strange eyes with the whites being colored teal blue, her eyes colored Columbia blue, and the black pupils in the forms of diamonds, were the only strange chaotic thing she exhibited for being the daughter of Fluttershy and Discord. She was Cacophony, a very good friend to Nebula who often checked in on her.

“You try to scare me every day and it doesn’t work.”

“It’s not scaring if you know I’m there,” Cacophony scoffed. Her wings fluffed up. “I remember when I used to make you scream and run.”

“That was back when you’d hide in full shadow and all I saw were your eyes. Now I can’t stop but then how beautiful they are.”

Cacophony turned hot red and turned her head with a grumble as Nebula grinned at her.

“Look, I heard down the grapevine that your cousin’s been having some fits again.”

“From who!?” Nebula rolled her own eyes as she started to walk away.

“I’m just saying that I saw Ticker Tape the other day…”

“Oh! How is she doing?”

“Tick’s fine, she’s getting into that summer class or something, something,” Cacophony said dismissively.

“Oh, come on, CC! She’s going to summer school? That’s not good, that’s a bad thing!”

“She said it was extra credit!” Cacophony was indignant. “I think.”

“She’s been having trouble with some of her classes lately. I thought Flurry was helping her.”

“Like that bitch would help her.”

Cacophony froze at the hard, angry stare given over Nebula’s shoulder. She grimaced and then shook her mane over her shoulder. “I’m not apologizing. Your cousin is acting up and you know it.”

“I don’t see -you- doing anything about it.”

“I’m not family. Why should I?”

“Then you’re not awfully concerned,” Nebula said dryly. “That’s not very friendly.”

“I’m not built for friendly,” Cacophony said flatly. “There are very few exceptions.”

“Flurry Heart has a lot on her plate, she’s going to be a leader some day.”

“So are you and you’re not being mean.”

“Well, no, but I’m not an alicorn, now am I?”

“She’s not much of one, if you ask me.”

“Cacophony, now come on!”

“I’m just saying what everyone else says!”

“But that’s not nice!”

“So what! Half of what is said is the truth, isn’t it? She’s got no magic, no wing power, she’s…”

“She’s what? Useless? Like what?” Nebula turned around, angry again. This time the two were drawing in a crowd. “Come on, just let up on her. I thought you didn’t care one way or another about what happens to her.”

“Yea, I don’t. But I do care what happens to others,” Cacophony said pointedly. “Emotions are dangerous and when you’re consumed by them…”

“Then maybe -you- should get yourself checked out. You’re always so tight-lipped and angry all the time. Not to mention untrusting.”

“I’m trying to give you advice here, Nebula! If Ticker Tape is concerned about her sister, don’t you think that’s cause for concern?”

“Of course, I do but I’m sure her parents are dealing with it!”

“But they aren’t!” Cacophony’s hooves hit the ground furiously, repeatedly. “Ticker Tape said that Flurry Heart won’t let anyone in.”

“So what am I supposed to do?” Nebula said tiredly.

“Talk to her, for now. You all just seem to tiptoe around her.”

“She doesn’t want to talk, we can’t make her talk. Her parents tell us to leave her alone, we leave her alone. That’s how it goes.”

Cacophony sighed with exasperation. “Obviously a plan that doesn’t work. I’m telling you, that there is something off about her that you all need to fix before it gets worse but hey,” She pushed off. “I’m just offering my two cents on the whole scene. You and I have talked about how others whisper about her, don’t you think she hasn’t heard about those whispers?”

“Flurry Heart is surrounded by love and adoration,” Nebula rebutted. “Everyone adores her since she’s, as the Crystal Empire tells it, perfect.”

“Yea, and being perfect doesn’t come with its own flaws,” Cacophony growled as she took off. “Talk to Ticker Tape, will you at least?” She called over her shoulder as she left. “Just listen to the girl!”

Nebula watched her friend took off before her thoughts drifted to her cousins and then to Cacophony. “She would never warn me about something unless it was really bothering her. Maybe I should look into this if she thinks it’s just a big issue.”

“Especially since Ticker Tape’s been saying something,” Nebula added as she resumed her walk down the street.

Author's Note:

The first chapter to Flurryverse, my next generation fiction.