• Published 6th Mar 2022
  • 562 Views, 2 Comments

Master Music Lessons - VioletRose13



Master Splinter wants to learn how to play an instrument. Choose Your Own Ending.

  • ...
4
 2
 562

Choose Rarity

“I am so glad you decided to come to me, Master Splinter.” Rarity said as she set her purse down on the floor of the band room. “And don’t you worry; with my help, you will be playing like a true concert pianist in no time.”

“Thank you, Rarity.” Splinter said as he sat down in front of the grand piano. “Now shall we begin?”

“Indeed we shall.” She quickly took a seat next to him and cracked her knuckles to prepare herself. “Now a few important things you have to remember when doing the piano is that you must keep your wrists flat, your feet flat, and to sit up straight. You certainly don’t want to have a sore back after this.”

Splinter nodded in agreement before turning his attention to the piano keys. “And if I remember correctly, the keys on the left are deeper while the ones on the right are higher?”

“Precisely, Sensei. And as an added bonus, this will help improve hand-eye coordination… but your hands and eyes are already very well coordinated, so um…” She nervously looked away, unsure of what else to say.

Splinter chuckled. “It’s fine, Rarity. I take no offense.”

“Thank you, Sensei.” Rarity calmed down and turned back to the piano keys. “Now, we can start with something fast and upbeat like this.” She then proceeded to play a quick, happy-go-lucky song with her fingers practically gliding across the keys. After a few moments, she finished and Splinter clapped in applause. “Or we could try something slower and calmer, like this.” At that, she started to play a slow, sad song, starting with one hand and gradually adding the other as she played further along.

Splinter was greatly impressed with Rarity’s piano skills and asked, “Pardon me, but however did you learn to play these songs?”

“Oh, I um… have been playing for years.” Rarity replied, trying to hold back a sniffle.

Splinter quickly noticed Rarity’s change in mood and he placed a hand on her back to comfort her. “Rarity? What’s the matter? Why are you so sad all of a sudden?”

She stopped playing and wiped her eyes before looking up at her sensei. “Oh. I’m so sorry, Sensei. It’s just… my grandfather taught me how to play when I was quite young. He and I used to make music together all the time. But he passed away when I was twelve and some of these songs always remind me of him. I apologize for getting emotional, but the piano is one of the few ways I honor my grandfather… and you are so much like him, Master Splinter.”

Splinter wrapped his arm around her shoulders in a hug before glancing back at the keys. He then reached out his hand and started to play a few notes, notes that were identical to the ones Rarity had played. She silently gasped.

“How did you…?” She started.

“Learning by sound, I suppose. I just pick which keys sound similar and I try to put them together.” He replied.

“…Brilliant.” Rarity said as she joined in to play along.

Soon enough, the two of them started playing together, but on different sides of the piano; Splinter on the higher side and Rarity on the lower side. Eventually, Rarity started to feel a bit better and at the end, her fingers practically danced across the keys until they reached some higher notes. She and Splinter chuckled at this.

“Pardon my enthusiasm.” She said.

“I admire your enthusiasm.” Splinter said with a kind smile.

“Whoa! You guys rock!” A new voice exclaimed.

The pair turned around to see Spike the dog standing in the doorway, clapping his paws and holding back a few tears at the same time.

“That was so beautiful!” He said, wiping his eyes and sniffling.

“Oh, Spikey-wikey. Would you care to join us?” Rarity offered.

“Would I!” The little dog said, wiping his eyes and running up to the piano before jumping up and settling into Splinter’s lap. “Let’s get started!” As Spike pressed his paws down on the keys to try and make music as well, the two friends looked at each other and shared a laugh.

“Alright, alright. Now how about we try another one? And you can show me what else you know.” Rarity suggested, playing a low note.

“Why not?” Splinter said, smiling and playing a few higher notes.