• Published 12th Mar 2022
  • 222 Views, 0 Comments

Sunset's recollections of a war torn world - The_Lord_of_Admirals



A collection of short stories that I didn't want to clog the main with.

  • ...
 0
 222

Dreadnought - Teaser

Captain Sunset Shimmer sat at a table with the princesses, Shining Armor, and the main six, telling war stories. Taking a large swig of cider, Sunset cleared her throat. “Let me tell you about the biggest and baddest bitch to rule the seven seas. It was not long after the UNDF was drug into war by an unprovoked attack on a Naval patrol.” Seeing Twilight open her mouth, Sunset cut her off. “I don’t know why they did it, but we made sure they never thought of doing it again.”

“What did you do?” Celestia asked, partially dreading the answer.

“Well, I wasn’t part of the initial counter, but let me tell you what I’ve heard from it. It was the first combat sortie for the UNDF’s biggest, strongest ship. The mighty UNNV Dreadnought, named after the famous HMS Dreadnought, namesake of the… well, dreadnoughts.”

Glancing around at her audience and seeing their varying confusion and disinterest at the tale thus far, Sunset continues her grandiose retelling. “Now, that isn’t a name that just asks for respect, she demands it. And she will get it, or your fear will suffice.



And she relishes in her enemies' fears…”


10 years earlier
Pacific Ocean

It was a grand retaliation, Russia had declared war. They attacked unprovoked, sunk three ships, killed over two hundred. Now, Task Force Zulu has been awoken to strike back tenfold, and leading this task force is the pride of the Defence Force’s Navy, an X-Ray class ‘super-dreadnought’ battleship, the largest warship to rule the oceans, so large she can deploy light destroyers. Dreadnought. She’ll punch through any defence the Russians can muster, they'll be in Moscow by next week.

Currently hidden in fog and smoke, with E-war doing their best to disrupt enemy radar, the task force lies in wait, just outside range of an enemy fleet.


Unknown Russian destroyer
Pacific Ocean

It was chaos on the bridge, the radar’s been chasing ghosts, and the radios were filled with static. Panels were thrown open and wires were everywhere, but nothing seemed to fix it. This seemed to be how the day was going, until a spotter ran in shouting. “Captain! Captain! Contacts South, three cruisers coming out of fog.”

Hearing this, the Captain whipped his head around. “What?! How? Are they friendly?”

“I don’t know sir, they-”

“New contacts!” Someone else yelled. “Coming out of the fog.”

Rushing to the bridge windows the Captain stared ahead, and promptly dropped his jaw at what he saw. Five light cruisers, three, no four heavys, a pair of battleships, and… “What. The. Hell.” He stared, frozen in terror at what he saw.

There, in the mist, a shape; a ship was taking form.

A bow pierced the fog bank, a bow bigger than anything in the Russian Navy. Slowly more ship pushed out of the fog. A turret appeared from the clouds, it’s three rifles slowly turning towards him. Then, two more turrets, then another, bigger than the others, almost the size of his destroyer.

Slowly the massive ships tower emerged, a monolith standing tall over the ocean. Funnels belching thick, acrid smoke.


BOOM

The three sixteen-inch turrets spat a salvo of shells into the fray, four of the massive shells smashed into a Russian cruiser’s hull, erupting in a spray of liquid fire.



Sailing through the burning water, fire lapping at her hull. Horn blaring as she bared down on a cripled warship, shot full of holes by her escorts, and with a final honk, rammed the smaller ship and split it in two under her prow.



The surviving ships were on the run, and Dreadnought decided to give them a parting gift. Her massive twin turret swung to face them and fired, sending a pair of twenty-inch shells flying. Massive geysers of water erupted around them, rocking the fleeing ships.


“…that marked the start of the Pacific campaign. In the coming week we made landfall in the East, while to the West others marched in from the continent.” Sunset finished her tale. “I was in one of the first landing waves.”

“Why?”

“Huh?” Sunset grunted, confused.

“Why?” Twilight repeated. “Why would you do something like that?”

“They gave us no choice.” Sunset said tiredly. “They attacked unprovoked, and when we demanded repercussions…” She sighed softly. “They basically laughed in our face and said they’d do it again.”

“That’s horrible.” Celestia said, disgusted that someone could do something like that.

Sunset simply nodded before she continued. “We struck quickly, kicked in the door to a council meeting and dragged their ambassador out in cuffs. Rounded up their representatives and shipped them back to their ‘Motherland’. What they called their homeland.” She added, seeing the brewing question.

“You were allowed to do that?” Celestia questioned, surprised at the freedom they have.

“Allowed, by the UN? They don’t even 'allow’ us to save civies if it goes against their profits.” Sunset spat. “We don’t answer to them, one of the best fuck ups they ever made. We just did it. They want to come bitch about us killing their profits, they're welcome to do so.”

Author's Note:

Quick preview of another semi-Sabaton induced chapter.

And a bit of insight into how the UNDF is run.