• Published 25th Feb 2022
  • 256 Views, 2 Comments

Sulfur Courtship - GermanBrony_12



Romance may seem like a field of pink gladioli to most, but sometimes, courtship only ends in misery.

  • ...
 2
 256

Salvation

I was utterly befuddled. How could I be a murderer? Aside from my sister, I know no creature that has died!

“Who?...What?”

No matter how hard I tried, I couldn’t make sense of the situation. Somehow, amidst all of the chaos, I find myself wondering whether or not I really was a murderer. I begin to retrace my steps but am swiftly interrupted by another cry from Smoulder.

“Featherbangs has been gone ever since you two went to that park together. Now it’s been confirmed: he’s dead! Don’t think we’re dumb enough to not see the obvious connection!”

“But I-..W-what!? I d-...I had no idea he even died!” I screamed, desperate to be heard over the panicked masses that swarmed the hallways. It was true: I had previously assumed that he had fallen ill and couldn’t attend class as a result. What reason would I have for killing him? Smoulder looked furious, she leapt at me, carving my face with her vicious claws. A few of my peers joined in her attack, all believing that I had caused this tragedy. I struggled to liberate myself from their grasp, kicking and tossing myself about in a feverish attempt to break free.

With great effort, I manage to escape, and flee the university in terror. I gallop to the park and collapse near the benches, drenched in blood and sweat. I let out a frenzied scream as I finally catch my breath and notice the unbearable pain which seems to emanate from every part of my body. It hurts… I can hardly think any other words as I lie on my bed of snow and ice.

A few minutes later, I finally regain my senses. The cold of winter has numbed, leaving me completely incapable of feeling the pain of my injuries. Everything is just… cold. But now, what can I do? I have nowhere to go, and no creature will find me here and help.

I think back to Featherbangs, who just a few days prior had held me in exactly this spot. Now I’ve come back, yet this time, I am truly alone. I sob, my tears disappearing as they become nothing but small circles in the snow; I miss him…

My tears mean nothing though, do they not? Not a creature in this world will hear my cries for help and think for even a second that they should interrupt their own lives to help. What better a way to live than through selfishness? For he who has his needs fulfilled thinks not of those who are without, those who have one explanation already do not seek another out, and those who do not cry themselves hear not the cries of those who do.

I spend a few moments reflecting on the series of events thrown at me, one after the other, and my mind naturally drifts back to Steedplayer. I remember now, his words to me on our first meeting. He had been right that day; now, I want nothing more than to return to him.

With what little strength I have left, I force myself back onto my hooves and feel the pain and cold again. I begin to march onward, toward the cafe, compelled by what I know lies there for me:
Steedplayer

—------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I crash through the door with the strength of a bull, drawing everyone’s attention to me as I head directly for table seven. A few gasps are heard from the ponies of the cafe, startled by the appearance of a blood-clad pony in so peaceful a city. Oblivious to this, I look forward and meet the eyes of that unicorn, waiting at table seven as always he had, whom I could truely put my faith in. I nearly cried upon seeing him, but, remembering my dire situation, quickly grew nervous. He motioned for me to sit down, and I immediately did so, leading him to smile at me.

“What has happened, my Poltroon Twirl?”

I could not respond; I was in a panic. The more I thought, the worse my situation seemed to get. In the eyes of everyone else, I was a likely candidate for Featherbangs’ murderer. After all, I was the last creature to see him, wasn’t I? At the very least, no creature knows of another who had. That alone could prove me guilty, could it not?

Steedplayer could see that I was hyperventilating and asked me again what was wrong. I looked him in the eyes and felt his sincerity. It was stronger than that of Quill Weaver, of Featherbangs; this was genuine.

“I-... Help.”

It was all I could say. It felt like the world around me was falling apart, yet I could do nothing but fall with it. I barely felt my wounds anymore, as though they had been healed by my restless thoughts, when truly, they had long since healed. They were never even there in the first place.

“You’ve returned here, just as I said. Has it come to this already, Poltroon? Tell me, what’s the matter?”

“I love you,” I blurted, unable to stop myself. Was this what I had really come to say? I can’t remember what happened this morning, nor can I remember how I got here. My memory, once so clear like a photograph, appeared blurred and grey. I want to leave more than anything else, but I cannot; I don’t want to leave Steedplayer. He is my only hope, the only selfless creature in this world. I guess I really did come here to say it.

“Please… Take me away from here.”

“So soon? It’s funny, really. I remember you once seemed to loathe me, yet now, you come crawling to me, seeking salvation. Your love is strong… Very well, let us depart from this wretched place together.”

Steedplayer got up from his chair and began to walk toward the counter of the cafe. Looking around, I notice that at some point, everyone in the cafe disappeared. There was no time to think about this though; every centimetre further he went, I felt my longing for him grow stronger. I followed him mindlessly to a small storage room in the back of the cafe.

He stopped a few metres into the room, and then, the door slammed shut behind me. A faint green glow illuminated the room, allowing me to see the wide, malicious grin stretched across the face of Steedplayer. He really does look cute when he smiles.

I see it now, this is what I really lacked. This joy of having someone who really cares, something I’ve been without all my life. Nothing has ever made me as happy as I am now. For the first time ever, I really feel happy. A tear of joy trickled down my face as I looked into the loving eyes of my companion.

“Are you ready?” they asked, following up the question with a gentle laugh that lightly jostled the boxes of the storage room. It was then that with a great blast of green light, he, or should I say, she, revealed her true form.