• Published 6th Mar 2022
  • 473 Views, 14 Comments

The Rise of an Arch-Nemesis: Hail the Tambelon Empire - Lord Shadow Eclipse



An evil even older than Starswirl and the Pillars returns to Equestria, and the Magic of Friendship may not be able to save them this time.

  • ...
3
 14
 473

Chapter 3

At the Crystal Empire

The train to the Crystal Empire's main citadel was pretty uneventful. But while the others were looking forward to the Equestria Games, Starswirl could help but be drawn back to that dream he and the rest of his friends had about the Cloaked Pony that may or may not have been a dreadful enemy from his past. He walked through the city to the palace in a distracted daze.

Why are we dreaming about that monster? What could those dreams possibly mean? Does this mean that... ?, Starswirl thought.

No. There's no way he could still be alive. I watched him die myself

"Earth to Starswirl" Applejack suddenly said in his ear.

Starswirl was snapped out of his daze by the honest farmer, who gave him a worried look.

"Are you okay?" she asked.

Not wanting to disrespect the Element of Honesty with a lie, he told the unbridled truth.

"I was thinking about our dreams about the Cloaked Pony that may have been Shadow Eclipse" Starswirl replied.

The two were far enough away from the rest of the group that they could talk in private. Applejack leaned in.

"You still thinking about those dreams?" she asked.

"Yes. The fact that we had dreams about our old foe is too much to be mere coincidence" Starswirl replied.

"Are trying to say that part of you thinks he could still be alive out there somewhere?"

"Truthfully, yes. I wonder if he somehow survived our last battle"

"Hey, you two!" Rainbow called. "We're about to meet Twilight's brother and sister-in-law! Come on!"

Applejack looked to Starswirl. "Look, don't focus on your old enemy right now. We gotta watch the Games. That might distract you from thinking about that varmint"

"You may be right, Applejack. And thank you for talking to me"

And with that, the two went off to join the others. Due to this being the first time non-pony races were taking part in the Games ever, the city was full of dragons, griffons, Changelings, and Hippogriffs either watching or participating in the events.

The group stopped at the front gates of the palace. The Pillars marveled at the grandiose palace carved out of pure magic crystal quartz. The gates opened to reveal the Prince and Princess of the Crystal Empire.

"Twily!" Shining called out to his little sister.

"Shining!" Twilight shouted back.

The two siblings embraced each other warmly. Twilight then moved on to greet Cadence with their "sunshine-ladybugs" thing. Twilight looked around but Flurry Heart wasn't with them.

"Where's Flurry Heart?" Twilight asked.

"She's taking an early nap. I see that you've brought even more friends with you, this time" Cadence said.

The Pillars all bowed before the Imperial couple with all due respect.

"Thank you both for accepting us into your city" the Pillars said in unison.

Cadence and Shining Armor both laughed.

"It's okay. There's no need to bow before us. You've been saving Equestria long before we were even born" Shining said.

"Are you as excited for this year's Games as we are?" Cadence asked.

"Yeah!!" the entire group shouted.

As the group left, Spike tapped Twilight on the shoulder. "I'm going to go hang out with some of my dragon friends. I'll be back before dark"

"Okay. Have fun, Spike!" Twilight replied.


With Spike

As the armored dragon flew to hang out with his dragon friends, he caught sight of one dragon staring at the crystal palace in keen observation while apparently writing something down in a notebook he carried. Spike flew down to speak to him.

"Yeah, every time I come here, I can't help but marvel at the palace too" Spike said.

The other dragon turned to face Spike. This dragon was slate gray with amber eyes and red spines running down his head and back. He was pretty slim, yet had ample amounts of muscle on him. The other dragon gave a small smile.

"Yep. This palace is pretty impressive. Kind of makes you wonder how they carved it out of pure crystal" the other dragon replied before turning to fully face Spike.

"Nice to meet you. I'm Spine" Spine said.

"I'm Spike" Spike replied.

Spine's face took on a look of bewilderment. "You mean this 'Spike the Brave and Glorious' I keep hearing this Crystal Ponies raving about?"

"Yeah. I'm that Spike"

Spine looked Spike up and down, with his eyes resting on his sword and armor. He seemed genuinely impressed with how well-trained Spike looked.

"So, you're a warrior, too" Spine noted.

"Are you a warrior?" Spike asked.

"Yep. I've trained ever since I molted"

"Awesome! I've had Spitfire train me as a fighter. She may be captain of the Wonderbolts, but she used to be part of the military"

Spine seemed to be suppressing a laugh.

"What's so funny?" Spike asked.

"It's just that... I can't picture ponies being that strong without magic. They look like they shouldn't be fighters" Spine replied.

"Well, Spitfire's tougher than she looks" Spike said. "Anyway, who trained you?"

Spine gave a happy smile. "Someone very old, but very powerful. You could say he's like my father figure. He took me in, raised me, trained me. He gave me strength and purpose".

"Sounds like he's a great guy"

"Yeah. My master is great"

"So he took you in?"

"Yeah. After my parents died, I wandered the wild lands of Equestria until I nearly died of starvation. He found me and nursed me back to health. He asked me if I wanted to become strong. I said 'Yes'".

"What was you're training like?"

"He'd have me lift heavy rocks, adding more weight to them until my muscles tore and my bones cracked. He'd have me fight beasts until I was bloody, but victorious. And he'd have me spar against him, matches I always lost"

"That sounds... hard"

"It was. But look at me! I'm now one of the strongest there is"

Spine flexed his arms and legs to drive his point home. Now that Spike looked for it, Spine's body did show the benefits of this extreme training regimen. Spine stopped flexing and went back to observing the palace.

"So, are you here to participate in the Games?" Spike asked.

"No, I'm here to act as one of Dragon Lord Ember's bodyguards" Spine replied.

"Somehow, I get the feeling that Ember doesn't need protecting"

"This is just a formality. Can't be too careful"

"Well, alright then. Hey, want to hang out and watch the first set of events tomorrow?"

Spine gave Spike a friendly smile. "Trust me, I wouldn't miss this for the world. I'll be watching the Games tomorrow"

Spike left to reunite with his friends in the crystal palace. After making sure that no one was looking, Spine flew up alongside the wall of the palace until he reached one of the windows overlooking the stadium in which the Games were taking place. Using a claw, he traced a lie in the air from the window to the stadium.

Flying and hovering directly under the window, Spine looked out into the stadium to see the box where the other leaders would be sitting to watch the Games. Spine smiled darkly.

"Perfect spot. Ember won't know what hit her" Spine said to himself. "The master's game board is set. The game is about to begin"

Spine pulled out a small dark blue cloth with a white waning crescent moon and an attached bat's wing and gently stroked it with his thumb. Then he gave the stadium and the surrounding city a hard look. Spine whispered two simple phrases.

"Hail the Tambelon Empire. Ultra Evil Plus Chaos!"


The Canterlot Gardens- 12:00 AM

The Gardens were filled with the songs of the whip-or-wills and crickets. A gentle breeze blew through the various shrubs and flower patches that made up the Garden's lush scenery.

The guards, even the Night Guard, never patrolled the Gardens as it became too easy to get lost in the labyrinthine bushes, especially after dark. So most of the important items were virtually unprotected.

The most important of these items were the three statues of Equestria's most diabolical villains. Chrysalis, Tirek, and Cozy Glow were the ones imprisoned in stone and left in the Gardens for a thousand-year sentence. Now they all knew how Discord felt when this happened to him.

A figure emerged from the darkness with an entourage of large rats. This figure was tall and possessed spindly claws and a long hairless tail dragging behind it. It wore a dark robe with a hood. The figure pulled back its hood to reveal a hideously deformed rat-like face, with beady red eyes, two prominent teeth jutting from his upper jaw, and large ears. He walked towards the villainous statues with an ugly smile.

"Finally!" the figure whispered in a raspy voice. "I've found you. The Prince is going to be most pleased to see you"

The rodent-like creature produced a small black ring from his robe and threw it in the air over the three statues. The ring stopped in midair and expanded in diameter. A red portal formed in the space between the ring and moved downwards, sending the villains to Goddess-knows-where.

The figure then turned to his gathered rats. "The enemy may have left the castle premises, but we must continue monitoring the city. Now then, we must inform our contact of his future duties to the Empire"

The rat creature disappeared with his rats without the guards even knowing they were there. Those idiots probably wouldn't even notice the villains were missing for weeks maybe.


The imprisoned villains found themselves looking at a large cavern chamber. Given how hard it was for them to breathe, they must be pretty deep underground. The whole chamber was lit by candles emitting dark orange light. In the center of the chamber was a large throne that looked to be carved out of the natural formations in the cave.

There was an entity sitting upon the throne. He was tall, just as tall as Chrysalis. He wore a dark cloak with a hood obscuring his face. All the villains could see was a chalk-white muzzle and two glowing red eyes. The white muzzle smiled, revealing sharp needle-like teeth. The cloaked being stood and walked to them.

"Welcome to the caverns beneath my palace. I have waited quite a while to get you here. My spymaster did his job well" the creature said in an accent the villains couldn't recognize.

That rat thing was his spymaster?! One would think his unfortunate appearance would make him too noticeable, Chrysalis thought to her cellmates.

Even though they couldn't physically speak, the villains could talk to each other through thought.

Well, we didn't notice his presence until after he revealed himself, Tirek thought back.

The Cloaked One walked towards the statues. "I'd much rather talk to you with our outer voices"

Red streams of light seemed to flow into the Cloaked One's right hoof. He pressed his hoof to the statues before him. The light traveled all over the stone and shattered it in seconds, freeing the criminals from their prison.

Chrysalis, Tirek, and Cozy Glow were shocked. This creature had just freed them from their stone imprisonment. They all stretched their cramped bodies with vigor.

"Thank you for freeing us, Mister. But who are you?" Cozy Glow asked.

"And what do you want with us?" Tirek asked.

"Pardon my manners" the Cloaked One said. "My name is Shadow Eclipse, Prince of Monsters and rightful Emperor of the Tambelon Empire"

Tirek did a double take. "Shadow Eclipse? The War Demon? Eclipse the Conqueror? The First Vampire? Grogar's Chosen Prince?"

"I am he. I am Father's Chosen Prince" the Dark Lord replied.

Chrysalis and Cozy Glow didn't know what to make of this information. They had rudimentary knowledge of the evil Emperor Grogar. How he was the very Father of Monsters and used his monstrous hordes to rule Equestria with an iron hoof. But they didn't know he had chosen a prince.

"Wait. Grogar chose you as his prince?" Chrysalis asked.

"Father did indeed. I was chosen because I was the most capable. The most worthy of his throne" Shadow replied.

"You're a vampire? And the very first one?" Cozy Glow asked next.

"I could prove it by drinking your blood" Shadow said with a toothy smile.

Cozy Glow hid behind Tirek.

"Why have you brought us here?" Tirek reiterrated.

Lord Eclipse simply looked at him. "Well, I summoned you here and freed you for two reasons. One, I want my Father's Bewitching Bell. Two, I need some notable pieces for my great plan"

The three villains looked to each other and then to the First Vampire.

"How do you know we're notable?" Chrysalis asked.

"I have been watching Equestria for centuries now. There is nothing that happens in this land without me knowing about it. I have seen Equestria grow lazy and complacent in my absence. Now is the perfect time for me to set my master plan into motion"

"I'm not so sure about that, Lord Eclipse" Cozy Glow said. "If you've been watching Equestria for centuries up until this point, then you should know that the Pillars have returned".

"And knowing them, they have the experience to fight monsters" Chrysalis pointed out.

Shadow simply smiled. "I'm not worried about Starswirl and his sycophants. I have fought them before"

"You have?" Tirek asked.

"Indeed. But when we had last fought, I was caught off-guard. But now, I'm gathering all the resources I need to begin"

"Would those resources include the Bewitching Bell?" Cozy Glow asked.

"Indeed. My father's bell is vital for my plans. I need you three to help me get it"

The villains looked at Shadow Eclipse with distrust. As powerful as he appears, they didn't like the idea of doing someone's bidding.

"Why should we help you?" Tirek asked.

"Because I can offer you power and revenge on the ones who imprisoned you. Even that idiot Discord" Shadow replied.

The trio still looked unconvinced.

"Perhaps a demonstration of the power I can lend you will change your mind" Shadow said.

Shadow channeled his dark magic into a small orb and threw it to Tirek, who caught it in his hands. Tirek ate the morsel with only a moment's hesitation. He instantly towered over everyone in the chamber. He marveled at the result of his boost.

"This power! It's incredible!" Tirek bellowed.

Chrysalis and Cozy Glow were amazed. Tirek became like that after taking a small portion of Shadow's magic? They had to get some of that!

"Don't worry, you two. You're next" Shadow said before imbuing the two females with his magic.

Chrysalis's eyes, shell, and wings became dark red while Cozy Glow's horn curled and her wings became bat-like.

"You were right, Tirek! This power is awesome!" Cozy shouted.

"Yes! We have all the power we need to exact our revenge! But first... " Chrysalis said before looking at Shadow.

"We thank you for freeing us and for giving us this power, but we don't take orders from anyone!" Tirek shouted.

Tirek threw a fist to crush the ancient vampire, but his fist suddenly stopped a few inches away from him. Shadow hadn't even flinched. Tirek couldn't move his fist. In fact, he couldn't move at all. Something was keeping him frozen there. He looked down to see Shadow's hooded face.

Streaks of red light were flowing out of Shadow's eyes. Magic! Shadow had used magic to stop Tirek completely!

"I knew this would happen. Remember when I said that I had been watching Equestria for centuries? One of those times was when you were with Discord when he masqueraded as my father. I knew you would attempt to double-cross me. So it looks like I'll have to teach you how to behave!!" Shadow said darkly.

Tirek was lifted high into the air. As he was looking for a way to break the vampire's grip, his right arm was somehow twisting and breaking itself. Tirek shrieked in pain and agony. Blood spurted from where the bone broke through the skin. Next was the left arm, which received the same treatment as the right. His four legs were all broken at the femur, which sent Tirek in a fit of howls. He suddenly found himself flying into the walls and ceiling of the cave, breaking several ribs and puncturing a lung. After a few more thrashes, he was lifted back up into the air.

Chrysalis and Cozy Glow were all watching in horror. They had never seen such brutality or vile displays of torture before. This Shadow Eclipse was something to be feared after all.

With Tirek suspended in the air, he walked to Chrysalis and Cozy Glow with a smile. Before they could do anything, Shadow rushed towards them with nearly-impossible speed.

First to be struck was Chrysalis. She was struck in the chest, which sent her sprawling to the ground. As she tried to get up, Shadow grabbed her by the horn and started punching her in the face repeatedly. It was only after she put her hooves up in surrender did he stop.

Last was Cozy Glow. He simply slapped her with the back of his hoof over and over again until she was on the ground with a swollen face.

After the brutal beatings were done, Shadow faced them.

"You're probably wondering how I did that to Tirek. Well, I may have given you all a portion of my power, but I can still control it even from within your bodies. That means that if you step out of line, I will make death look like a beach holiday".

Shadow then used his magic to heal all of their injuries. They cowered in fear before the prince.

"Will you serve me and carry out my will?" he asked them calmly.

"W-we promise!" Chrysalis said.

"We are at your command, my lord!" Tirek shouted.

"Your will is our will, master!" Cozy Glow said.

Shadow smiled in satisfaction at their fidelity. "Good. Now go topside. I'll inform you on your assignments shortly. As of this moment, you serve the Tambelon Empire"

His new pawns all smiled sheepishly. No way in Tartarus would they even think of betraying him.

Author's Note:

Hope you all loved this chapter! What did you think of Lord Eclipse's way of instilling loyalty in the three big bads?

Also, Shadow's accent is Slavic. Just letting you know.