• Published 4th Feb 2022
  • 1,119 Views, 55 Comments

Monster Inside - Penguin17203



Starlight's old collectables are delivered to Twilight's castle, among them is a dusty Starswirl The Bearded scroll. One that transports her into a different dimension.

  • ...
3
 55
 1,119

Threatening Encounter

"Oh Celestia, this place is in desperate need of a makeover." Rarity commented as she strolled through the ruins of what seemed to be a striving community.

"Ah'll say." Applejack agreed, scanning at the scenery around her. "Looks like a whole darn tornado on rolled through 'ere."

The town known as "Macon" was in ruin in every sense of the word. There were buildings that had their windows shattered and some were boarded up. Debris was littered throughout the streets, strange large metallic objects with black rubber wheels were flipped over.

The town was deserted. It was almost like every local that lived there had completely vanished. The uncomfortable, unnerved feeling was mutual amongst the girls.

Trixie was more than willing to snatch the scroll from Twilight's bag and call off the entire "tour" but due to Starlight's protests; she held off on it. If it was up to her, they wouldn't even be here. Seeing the deserted town and not seeing a single spec of life since they arrived here; only confirmed her theory that this was not safe and that they should leave but no Twilight and the others want to investigate... as they usually do. Can't leave anything undone, can't they?

The forest that they had just came from also seemed just as deserted, much to Fluttershy's disappointment, wishing she could see some of the animals.

It was late in the afternoon and the group was losing sunlight quick. The fact that the sun moved on it's own didn't surprise Twilight as much as the others, having been at C.H.S. and witnessing how the two would move on their own without being manipulated by the rulers of Equestria.

"This is nuts! Why are we still here!? Why can't we just go home now!?" Trixie nervously inquired.

"Trixie, as your best friend, could you please stop complaining?" Starlight Glimmer replied.

"Huh!? Complaining!? I'm being rational, we need to leave as soon as possible. Whatever caused all of this-" The girl gestured at the area. "-could still be here."

"You're not at all curious as to what happened here?" Twilight asked.

"No, I'm not."

"What if somepony is hurt?" Fluttershy asked.

"Not our problem." Trixie threw an indifferent look at the shy girl.

"Wow, Trix." Starlight threw a disapproving look in her friend's direction.

"Yeah, wow! It's almost like-" Pinkie gripped at her jaw thoughtfully. "-you don't care at all!"

"How did you come to conclusion?" Trixie said with a blank expression. "It's what I've been saying the whole time! I don't care what happened here and I don't want to find out what happened here!" She pulled the hood over her head and folded her arms.

After they continued through the empty street, the road lead to a dead end with only left and right being the two directions. In front of them was a store that showed... electronics? Twilight recognized some of the strange square bulky objects as Televisions.

As they continued down the street, there was a building just to their left. Starlight glanced at the large bold red flickering letters that were stuck on top of the building. DRUGS, it read. There were a set of two doors that were blocked off by a black shutter.

She got closer to it and noticed the golden combination lock that kept it shut. She grabbed it, taking a closer look at it.

"Hey!" She suddenly heard a shout. This wasn't a feminine voice, it was a man's voice. She turned around to her right and saw a figure at the other end of the street waving at them. "Y'all friendly? Truck's ran outta gas!" He was wearing a pale yellow t-shirt with some jeans and a brown trucker cap.

He wasn't alone. There was one woman, two children (judging from their miniature build) and one who had a darker skin shade. He was wearing a pale blue button up shirt with a pair of olive-colored pants.

Starlight exchanged an alarmed look with Rarity who was standing beside her.

Twilight stood there for a moment, awestrucked. These were the locals, the humans! Was this all that's left? Just a handful of them!? She thought. Going off of Starswirl's spell, there would've been way more than just five of them. Then again, the whole town was destroyed, perhaps they may have been attacked? By what though? Starswirl said it was safe.

She quickly kicked the train of thought out of her head and replied. "Yeah! We're friendly! Are you... pon-" she quickly stopped herself remembering where they were. " Are you okay!?"

Rainbow, Applejack and Rarity stood back and listened with caution. They all eyed the group intently, observing them while the others listened with a mix of fascination, excitement and fear. Fear being, Fluttershy and Trixie. Pinkie was excited to meet this group.

"Yeah, we're fine. Truck was just runnin' on fumes." The man came over to the girls, his group following behind him. Twilight noticed the handlebar moustache on his face.

She frowned, there was a strange sense of relief that passed through her. Knowing that there were still humans here and that they didn't vanish brought some closure to a terrible theory she was conjuring up. "What happened here? W-where is everypony-I mean-one! Where is everyone?" She corrected herself immediately, heat hugging her face.

"Probably the same thing that happened everywhere, got overrun." He shrugged.

Rainbow frowned. "Whoa-whoa wait... overrun? What do you mean by that? This place was attacked?"

"Yeah. If it ain't the walkers that did all this then ah don't know what did." The man explained.

The girls all exchanged a confused look with one another before Twilight spoke up. "Walkers?"

The man paused, frowning. He then eyed everyone, a thoughtful expression on his face. He glanced at Rarity and Applejack who both stared back. "Don't y'all know what's goin' on? Are y'all from around'ere or..."

"No, we aren't. Quite frankly, we have no idea what's going on." Twilight concluded.

The man turned back to the woman who had a frown. She glanced at him for a moment before turning back at the girls. She was clutching at her child. He was a boy with a buzz cut wearing a brown checkered shirt, the other one was a female and had a big puff of curly hair wearing a khaki dress and a baseball cap that had a blue letter "d" stitched onto it.

The man then turned back at them. "Well, to fill you in the dead started to-"

"They're coming!" The little girl suddenly cried out, pointing at over at a truck.

They all turned toward the truck and it felt like their hearts dropped into their gut. A dead person... or at least that's what it should've been, started to crawl out from under the trailer. The bottom half of it's jaw appeared to be hanging on by a small tendon; one of it's eyeballs had been squished and what was left was nothing but mince meat in it's socket.

It then began to get up, what should've been impossible, it's arms had been bent in places it wasn't supposed to but it somehow managed to push itself onto it's feet.

Twilight felt like she was going to puke and suddenly she felt light-headed. Her face felt cold, her legs began to tremble and she didn't notice she was backing up until she felt herself backed into someone.

Guttural groans stopped everything as she quickly scanned around and realized there were more seemingly coming out of every corner. Every trashed and abandoned building.

Applejack felt a brush on her left shoulder, a thud immediately came after. Startled and frightened, she turned and saw Fluttershy on the concrete ground unconscious. "Fluttershy!?" She knelt down and cupped the girl's face in her hands.

"Is she okay!?" Twilight came over, an urgent look on her face.

"She fainted, we gotta get outta'ere right now!" The farmer proceeded to pick up the unconscious girl, gently placing her over her shoulders.

"We're trapped!" The woman cried out.

Rainbow saw noticed one of the monsters was getting closer, closer to her. Her heart racing faster than she ever could. She prepped herself, kept her eye on the monster. It was coming straight for her and it wasn't stopping.

She made a split-second decision and went to go kick it back when a loud bang rang out causing her to flinch. She saw the monster's face burst into a mash of red before it fell to the ground dead. The wonderbolt stared wide-eyed at the seemingly dead corpse.

A few more bangs rang out through the area, startling her. She turned and saw woman wearing a white button up shirt with a black skirt holding a strange object in her hands. Whatever it was, it seemed to be... killing those monsters.

"Run!" A man with pale skin color shouted, he looked to be younger than the others.

The shutter to the pharmacy was open and everyone made haste into the building.