• Published 4th Feb 2022
  • 1,119 Views, 55 Comments

Monster Inside - Penguin17203



Starlight's old collectables are delivered to Twilight's castle, among them is a dusty Starswirl The Bearded scroll. One that transports her into a different dimension.

  • ...
3
 55
 1,119

Unfortunate Circumstance

"Fluttershy!" Rainbow yelled, hunching over and swiftly turning around when she heard movement coming from behind her. A pack of walkers, two of them being significantly more faster than the rest and they appeared to be less rotten then the others.

She swung the rifle as if it were a baseball bat, hitting one of them; an explosion of red emitting from it's skull and the walker dropped to the ground. She did the same thing to the other walker then carried onto the others and made quick work of them.

"Fluttershy!" Rainbow yelled once again, no answer. She was alone, she dealt with the walkers and it was suddenly quiet. Trees surrounded her, every turn, every direction looked the same. She panted, her free hand going to her head as she tried to figure out which direction she should go in.

She could go forward but Fluttershy may have gone the other way. She could go left but Fluttershy may have took a right. Too many possibilities, too many outcomes, she was taking too long with this. Fluttershy could be in trouble and she was standing here wasting time.

Rainbow should've stopped her, she never should've come with her in the first place. Her free hand smacked her forehead and she let out a short cry of anger and regret before taking off. She didn't know which direction she was taking, whether it was going toward Fluttershy or away from her... she might as well pick one and hope for the best.


Fluttershy was on the ground, desperately gasping for air as the arm around her neck grew tighter and tighter. The assailant kept it's grip locked on tight as she struggled to break free, her legs flailing about.

A crackling noise came from her throat, attempting to breathe. She tried to pry away the assailant's arm but it was no use, she was trapped. There was no way to break free, try as she might but she wasn't getting out of this.

Pressure began building around her head, her eyelids slowly becoming hammers, struggling to keep them open. She felt her strength rapidly slipping away, her grip on the assailant's arm faltered and the woods disappeared into blackness.

After a few seconds, the arm around her neck loosened slightly. When the assailant felt the smooth movements of the girl's respiration process, the assailant pulled the arm away completely.

Panting, he shoved the girl off of him before getting back on to his feet. He looked down at her, a strange heat sensation pooling in his abdomen at the sight of the sleeping girl. The butcher knife laid a few feet away from them which he noticed earlier.

He walked over to it and picked it up, a putrid grin stretching across his face, there was a sweat patch in his mask, underneath the tip of his nose. "Mine now..." he muttered before turning back to the girl.

She was lying on her side, her face planted on the leaves beneath her. He walked over to her, looted her pockets before grabbing both of her legs and locked them under his arms and dragged her away; a dozen of thoughts passed through his mind...


"Do you think maybe it was a bad idea to let Fluttershy out there?" Starlight asked, sitting atop of the R.V beside Lilly.

"Fluttershy?"

"You know? The quiet one?"

"Oh, her..." Over the past three months, Lilly and Starlight had grown quite close to one another. Always having the same stance when it came to decision making, stubborn in their choices. This would inevitably lead them getting into shouting matches with other members of the group such as, Rarity and Applejack; the duo they would often face off against.

The two would have disagreements with Lilly and were always on the side of Kenny, most of the time. They would always get tossed into an argument when it came to Lilly and Starlight, whereas the others such as; Twilight, Trixie, Rainbow, Fluttershy and Pinkie were sidelined half the time.

"Yeah, I mean, Fluttershy and hunting? They're like... polar opposites. I don't understand why she would go out there in the first place."

"She's gotta learn at some point, can't just keep relying on everyone else to take care of her."

"Yeah, I get that, I just think that she should've started with something... less intense." Starlight noticed Twilight giving her a frown, her mentor was sitting in a group in the middle of the motel, near the R.V. Starlight couldn't help but roll her eyes before removing her gaze.

The motor-inn was... quiet. There were a few people making conversation, mainly being Twilight's group - Doug, Carley, Rarity and Trixie - .

Larry and Applejack were working on the fence. The farmer had to bite her tongue a few times to keep herself from going off on the elderly man. Didn't want to give him another heart attack.

Clementine was playing with Pinkie Pie, tossing a soccer ball back and forth with one another. Something they did on daily basis.

Trixie was with Twilight and Rarity. She noticed Carley and Doug had gotten close over the past few weeks... some would say they were sleeping together but Trixie didn't know nor did she want to know. That didn't interest her anyway.

"Hopefully, they'll find something." Lilly said after a few moments of silence. "Otherwise the group is just gonna complain again."

Starlight scoffed. "I know. Honestly, they don't even have a right to complain. It's not your fault that we're running out of food."

The brunette shook her head. "And they act as if I'm the bad guy."

"You want me to do the rations today?"

Lilly shook her head again. "No, I'll take care of it."

Starlight frowned. "You know, you don't always have to do it. I can do the rations."

"Then everyone would hate you too."

Starlight shrugged. "Well, hey if it takes the heat off of you then I'm game. Besides, what can they do? I can handle a few glares."

Lilly stared at her for a few seconds. "You sure you wanna do it?"

"Positive!"

The rustling of leaves caught Starlight's attention and her gaze flew to the woods. She glanced back at Lilly and who looked just as concerned as her.

Starlight pulled out her pistol and Lilly held up her rifle, directing them over to the other side of the road. The two were silent, there was still rustling coming from the woods and yet, nothing was coming out. The sound of a ball being caught and chatter was getting to Lilly.

She blew a loud whistle and everything went quiet. Everyone suddenly got the memo as they were now staring at the woods in anticipation.

Nothing was coming out but they stayed silent as they waited for something that may have just been an animal running around. Footsteps was the first thing they heard before someone emerged from the large brush.

"Get the gates open! We've got wounded!" Lee shouted, Mark and Kenny emerging shortly after.

Starlight frowned, exchanging a look with Lilly before climbing down the R.V.

Applejack ran over to move the large dumpster out of the way, letting Lee and the others in. Everyone started talking over one another, Mark dropped off David onto the back of a pickup truck.

"Lee, what the hell!? You can't just be bringing new people here, what are you thinking!?" Lilly exclaimed.

"Why is that every time we go out, there's always that one person that has to play hero?" Starlight added.

"Hey, do y'all wanna calm down for fuckin' moment!?" Kenny exclaimed.

Starlight huffed. "We wouldn't have to 'calm down' if it weren't for you making stupid decisions all the time!"

"If you know so much fuckin' better, why don't you start makin' runs out there!?"

"Because you'll just screw everything up here too!"

"Alright, can we just calm down for a moment? The last thing we need is another argument!" Twilight exclaimed. "There's someone there that needs medical assistance!"

"Don't bother, Twi. Starlight's just gonna end up kissing Lilly's flank as usual." Applejack said, a glare being directed at the girl in question.

The frown from Twilight went unnoticed by the farmer.

"I thought we could save his life!" Lee explained. "I'm the one who took his leg! That makes me responsible!"

"But why would you do that in the first place!?" Twilight exclaimed.

"Caught in a bear trap." Kenny quickly elaborated.

"You couldn't op-"

"Then you should've just leave him there then."

Twilight stopped as she heard Starlight's cruel statement and was about to go off on her when Rarity beat her to it. "Really Starlight?"

"What?" The girl in question raised a brow at her.

"You know 'what'! What compelled you to say something so absurd!?"

"'Cause it's what they should've done." Starlight answered so matter-of-factly.

"We are not responsible for every struggling survivor we come across!" Lilly shouted next. "We have to focus on our group, right here! Right now!"

"As it should be but unfortunately people have other ideas." Starlight glared at Lee and Kenny.

"Huh, I seem to recall you trying to stop a poor girl from taking her life." Rarity said, having Starlight's glare redirected to her. "Or have you forgotten that?"

"You know, y'all can act like you're the rulers of this group but we can make our own goddamn decisions!" Kenny rounded on Lilly and Starlight, backing up Rarity. "Just because y'all bark orders, don't mean we gotta carry 'em out!"

"Well, somepony's gotta get the job done!" Starlight rebutted.

"If you don't like how they do it, then you do them then!" Rarity angrily interjected.

"As she said earlier: you'll just screw everything up here too." Lilly rebutted.

Pinkie sighed, feeling her mood drop. The arguments was almost a daily occurrence at this point. First time when they started to rise, she would be worried through them now, although she still felt worried but she would also feel exhausted as well.

She shook her head and walked away from the group to join Clementine who was sitting next to the stranger, drawing something. "Hi!"

"Huh!? O-oh, hi," Ben greeted back.

Pinkie took a seat on one of the extendable chairs. "What's your name?"

"Ben. Ben Paul a-and that's my teacher over there. Mr Parker." He gestured at the pickup truck.

Pinkie noticed the teacher's leg was missing upon arrival, she didn't like how she was so accustomed to seeing messed up things now. She's seen so many walkers that looked much worse than that. Sometimes she saw people who were on the verge of death but yet still, somehow alive after being mutilated in such a way.

She was practically desensitized to these walkers now but she has yet to put one down.

"Nice to meet you! I'm Pinkie Pie." Feigning her excitement. Scratch that, she was excited but just not as much as she usually would be. "Hey, what does that stand for?" She pointed to the S.M. logo on his letterman jacket.

Ben quickly glanced down at his jacket. "Oh, um, Stone Mountain. I-It's my school jacket."

"Stone Moun-" she gasped. "-oh! You still go to school?"

"Y-yeah?"

"Huh?" Pinkie quickly took a look around. "But you're the only one..." she trailed off. The daunting realization finally setting in.

"Yeah..." Ben said, his head hanging low.


"You think this is easy for me? Everyone's starting to hate me because I'm the one who rations the food!" Lilly walked over to the R.V., a small purple backpack sat up against one of the tires. "You know what? You can do it. Here's today's food rations, there's not enough for everyone. Good luck." Lilly handed the couple pieces of scrap food to Lee to which he reluctantly took. She went back on watch with Starlight.

Lee took a moment, looking down at the food he was given. One piece of jerky, two packets of cheese and crackers and half an apple. Even though it didn't look appetizing in the slightest, he had to swallow down the urge to stop himself from eating all of it. His stomach grumbled at the sight of it.

He sighed before noticing all the looks he was receiving from people, they were all hungry too.

"Lee?"

He turned around to see Twilight with a frown on her face. "Yeah?"

"Where is Rainbow and Fluttershy?"

Lee turned around to look at her, a solemn look on his face. He completely forgot about that, thanks to the welcoming party. Rainbow had asked him to lie for her, possibly to keep Twilight from getting stressed. "Oh, they're still out there." He saw the girl's expression shift to worry and he quickly elaborated. "But don't worry. Rainbow... R-Rainbow didn't feel right about going back without any food so..."

"So, she decided to stay out there a little longer?"

He nodded. It didn't feel right lying to her about what really happened but then again, She might have gone out there herself if he didn't.

Twilight shook her head. "Stupid..." she looked back at Lee. "Well, thanks Lee."

"Don't mention it." He said, staring at her a moment longer as she walked away, feeling uneasy.


Rainbow panted, slowing to halt, sweat trailing down her forehead and hunching over. She fell onto her backside before she began aimlessly staring at the leaves beneath her.

Her heart felt like it was going to explode, the dry-stuffy sensation in her chest and throat as she tried to catch her breath. She was clueless on what to do. She'd been trekking through the woods for hours or at least, that's what it felt like. The only thing she came across was walkers and a few wild animals that she couldn't hunt because of the lack of ammo.

Fluttershy was missing. She was lost somewhere in these woods. A wave of fear washed over her as she thought about what would happen if she didn't manage find her until sundown. Fluttershy would be forced to stay out here, in the dark. Forced to fend for herself which Rainbow highly doubted that she would be able to do.

She was a complete idiot for letting her come out here, she knew how dangerous it was but Rainbow let her come anyway. Even Twilight had voiced her opinion on it prior to it, saying that it wasn't a good idea but Fluttershy had insisted.

"Y'all take a look at what I found!" A voice in the distant caught her attention immediately, her head darted in it's direction.

She could hear faint voices, responding to it. She got up from her position, grabbed her rifle and began edging toward them. As the voices grew louder, she could make out what appears to be a campsite up ahead. A series of tents and a poorly-constructed wooden shack.

"Where'd ya find her?" She heard, the voice belonged to a man.

"I don't know, somewhere out there. The bitch looked scared shitless."

Rainbow listened in, creeping closer to the camp. She made sure to stay hidden behind the trees. She got a good view of the campsite. There were around six or seven people she saw, they all appeared to be men and most of them were wearing masks. Some were bandannas, some were ski masks.

The camp was dirty, bits of scrap laying around, the wooden shack looked like it was going to fall apart any moment.

She couldn't see the girl the two men were referring to. She quickly moved to another tree. As she was about to go behind one, her eyes caught sight of the girl and suddenly her breath hitched.

It was Fluttershy. She was lying face first on the ground. Rainbow's first instinct was to charge in and ram every one of these freaks but she couldn't. Without a weapon, it would've been suicide.

She forced herself to stay put behind the tree, her face beginning to heat up with murder as watched the two men speak to one another.

"She with a group?"

"Don't think so, she was on her own when I found her."

The other man nodded in response before he turned Fluttershy over with his leg. Rainbow felt her hands squeeze tightly around her rifle and she suddenly found herself breathing heavily again.

Some of the masked freaks were holding guns, the odds were highly and unfortunately stacked against her. If she were to abandon all rationale and just charge in, she would end up getting shot or worse, being taken hostage like Fluttershy.

Suddenly, Fluttershy groaned awake and slowly propped herself up. She appeared to have fully recognized where she was as Rainbow watched her frantically crawl away before the man stopped her; Throwing a kick to her face.

Rainbow jumped forward, ready to bash the masked freak over the head with the rifle but abruptly stopped. She couldn't move, she tried to but she couldn't. She couldn't force herself to continue, she was only going to get herself killed. She seethed, If grip was any stronger, it would've broke off the barrel of the gun. The man approached a crying Fluttershy. I'm gonna kill them... I'm gonna kill them...