• Published 4th Feb 2022
  • 1,120 Views, 55 Comments

Monster Inside - Penguin17203



Starlight's old collectables are delivered to Twilight's castle, among them is a dusty Starswirl The Bearded scroll. One that transports her into a different dimension.

  • ...
3
 55
 1,120

"This'll be fun!"

Starlight Glimmer levitated the crate onto her desk in her room. The sun was in the sky, blaring over ponyville. It was late in the afternoon, she received a letter from her father saying that he was going to have some of her old stuff delivered to her.

She sat down in her chair and began emptying the crate. The first few things she pulled out were a couple of her old figurines that she used to play with when she was a filly. They mainly consisted of ponies dressed dark black armor with a swords. Some of them looked like normal knights, dressed in golden armor. "Aw, look at that... thanks dad." she muttered to herself as she moved them over to the side, in the left corner of the table.

"Okay... what else?" She got up from her seat, getting a better look inside the crate. Nothing too important, just a couple of old books, dusty old board games and scrolls that were stacked neatly against each other.

She started with the books first, pulling them out of the crate and stacking them into a neat pile. She noted to have them sorted in alphabetical order once she was done unloading the rest.

Next was the board games. There was only a few so it didn't long to clear out the crate and stack them into a pile.

"Okay!" She said, sighing. "Time for the scrolls." She levitated all of the scrolls from the crate, finally emptying it. To make more room, she removed the crate from the desk and replaced it with the scrolls.

Suddenly, her door opened, slamming against the wall; startling her. "Oh my Celestia! Haven't you heard of... Trixie!?"

"Hello Starlight!" The cobalt mare happily greeted as she walked into her friend's room. "What are you doing?"

Starlight rolled her eyes. "Oh, nothing." The mare looked down at the crate and picked it up with her magic. "Just going through some of my old stuff. My dad decided to have it shipped over to me." She plopped the crate down over in a corner.

"Oh, how thoughtful of him." Trixie, the mischievous mare began looking over her friend's items. Her eyes landed on the figurines in particular. "Huh, you used to play with dolls." The mare's pink aura developed around one of the figurines, lifting it from the table.

"Actually, they're called action figures..." Starlight ripped the toy from her friend's magical grip with her own magic. "Not dolls." She set the toy down on top of her bookshelf. "Besides, doesn't every filly play with dolls?"

"Yeah but don't those look more... boy-ish?"

"I didn't exactly care, I just thought they looked really cool."

"Oh well, hey! What are these?" Trixie looked over the scrolls and began unrolling them.

"Scrolls."

"Yeah, but of what though?" Trixie began reading the scroll she began unrolling earlier.

"Just a couple of old spells... don't exactly need them anymore."

Trixie read over the scroll, she slowly became disinterested as it started talking about manifesting objects... something that she had already learnt how to do; thanks to Starlight.

She moved it to the side then moved onto a different scroll. This one talked about teleportation, much to her disappointment. Teleportation spells, only the strongest unicorns could pull off magic like that. Unicorns like, Starlight, Twilight Sparkle or Starswirl The Bearded could pull off spells like this.

With a groan, she moved the scroll to the side, next to the other scroll.

"Uhh... Starlight?" Trixie read through the scroll. The text talked about a trans-dimensional warp spell, constructed by Starswirl The Bearded himself. A trans-dimensional warp spell!?

"Yeah?" Her friend called out, she was organising the books she stacked earlier.

"What is this?" She showed the mare the piece of paper, stuffing it in her face; forcing the pink mare to step back.

"How about not kiss my my face with it?" Starlight took the scroll from her friend and began reading it. Her expression changed, going from stunned to conflicted. "Where did you find this!?"

Trixie blinked. "Uhh... it was by your-" she didn't get to finish when Starlight ran past her and out of her room. "-stuff..."


"Oh wow! Really!? A dimensional warp spell!?" Twilight exclaimed as she took the scroll from Starlight's magical grip.

"Yeah, can't remember where I found it. It was like a long-long time ago." Starlight explained.

"Yes and as usual, the credit goes to me, Tr-r-rixie." The great and powerful mare boasted.

"You really can't remember where you found this?" Twilight asked her pupil.

"Nope, I just used to collect scrolls and old books."

"Wow, why'd you stop?" Twilight asked, curiously.

"Uhh... left town to enslave another town," Starlight cringed inwardly.

"Oh... right."

"Anyway, I still have some old books. I might as well give 'em to you since I've already read that." Starlight concluded.

"Right, well after we've checked this out," Twilight said.

"Check out? Why? It's just Starswirl's old spell," Trixie suddenly said.

Twilight and Starlight both stared at the mare as if she was insane. "WHAT!?"

Trixie frowned at both of them. "Yeah, what?"

"This isn't just an 'old spell'! This allows us to travel across dimensions!" Twilight exclaimed.

"Not to mention, this was Starswirl The Bearded's. Not made by some random unicorn, so it probably works." Starlight added.

Trixie stared at the two unicorns with a raised brow. "O...kay? So why would we want to travel across dimensions?"

"You're kidding." Starlight said with a blank expression. "You're kidding, right?"

"Uh, no. I'm not kidding, After traveling to the changeling hive and being captured? Yeah, I would say that I've had my fair share of adventures."

"Oh come on!" Starlight exclaimed.

Twilight read the scroll's text.

An entrance to Earth...

My last attempt... it brought me to a planet known as "Earth". I was surprised when I had found out that the inhabitants of this planet - or dimension - were sentient. Most of the time, they were friendly although there were a few bad apples here and there. What struck me as odd was the fact that they all walked on two legs. Feet, as they called it. As far as I know, they didn't have a grasp on magic here. Humans... they called themselves.

What was even odder was that this world's country was strangely similar to Equestria. For instance, this world also had a Manehattan but it was slightly different... "Manhattan" as it was called. Another was, Las Pegasus except it was "Las Vegas". An alternate universe, perhaps?

From here and then, a simple birthday song on one's day and you may return...

Twilight frowned. "What?" She muttered to herself as she internally read the last entry. It was like a diary, recalling the events of what happened. "Earth"? Manehattan, "Manhattan"? It seemed safe, there wasn't anything else on this scroll. Unless if Starswirl left out anything else, she'd have to speak with him about it.

"-and haven't you thought about how dangerous that is? Teleporting to another dimension?" Trixie asked. "What if we landed somewhere that was extremely unsafe? Like for example, there could be no oxygen? We could be sucked through space."

"Oh, good point." Starlight said with a reluctant smile.

"See? Exactly, Trixie is always right... as usual."

"Actually, it doesn't say anything about it being dangerous," Twilight interjected.

"Really? What did it say then?" Starlight asked.

"It just said that this uni-oh actually, dimension was it exactly like our's except with a few minor changes. You know, Manehattan? Well, guess what? In this dimension, it's called Manhattan." Twilight eagerly explained.

"Whoa, so it's like... an alternate universe!?" Starlight asked, growing excited.

"Yeah and locals that live there, aren't ponies."

"What?" Trixie interrupted. "Not ponies?"

"No. In the scroll, it said they were called humans and that they walk on two legs." Twilight explained and the sky-blue mare's eyes widened.

"And you still want to use this thing?"

"Well, Starswirl didn't say anything about them being dangerous. It just said that they were welcoming but there was a few 'bad apples'."

Trixie rolled her eyes but didn't respond.

Twilight then to her right, at her pupil. "How do you feel about this?"

"Well, I'd be lying if I said I didn't want to check this place out." The pink mare replied with a cheeky grin.

"I agree, it's sounds like Starswirl's already been to this place. Do you mind if I hold onto this for the for the time being?"

She nodded. "Yeah, of course! It's not like I need it anyway."

"Oh thanks! I'll discuss it with you and the others when I've spoken to Starswirl."

"Oka-wait... the others? You mean, Rainbow Dash and all the other girls?" Starlight frowned.

"Yeah, I think it would be a fun road trip! You and Trixie can come along as well too, if you want."

Starlight's smug smile came back and responded. "We would love to! I think it'd be great, it's like we have anything else to do right?" Trixie stared at her friend with an annoyed expression.

"Nope, tomorrow's the weekend. Unless, anypony is working overtime I'd say we're good." Once the two were done talking, Starlight began walking back to her room.

"Why did you say we were going with them?" Trixie inquired, annoyed.

"Because it'd be fun? This place sounds a lot like our's. I mean, 'Las Vegas'? I'm curious to see what this place is about, aren't you?"

"No, I'm not." Her friend answered simply.

"Oh come on! Where's your sense of adventure Trix?"

"We have enough adventures here, do we not?"

"Yeah, but this is an actual fun adventure! We're not off saving Equestria again."

Trixie stares at the pink mare with a knowing expression. "Jinx... jinx is all I gotta say."


"I hope they have animals." Fluttershy squeaked. "Imagine what the bunnies over there look like."

"Ah reckon, probably the same as over 'ere, 'shy." Applejack said as she walked beside the yellow mare. "The animals over Canterlot High were pretty much the same over there. Unless if ah missed anythin'..." the farm pony trailed off.

"Nope. Back at C-H-S, the animals were pretty much exactly the same but this is a different dimension who knows? Maybe the animals are different." Twilight interjected.

"Assuming that Starswirl The Bearded traveled to this dimension so I'm just going to assume that this is safe." Starlight said as she came into the cutie-mark map room.

"Yeah, he did. I spoke to him yesterday. I showed him the scroll and asked if it was safe enough for us to travel through."

"Okay, and?" Trixie asked.

"And, he said that it was. Most of the locals were welcoming but some of them were... more stuck up."

"Wait, so they knew he was a pony?" Rainbow Dash interjected.

Twilight didn't respond. Starlight saw the sheepish smile etch across her face. "Well, you see, the thing is... he wasn't a pony when he went through."

"What?"

"What do you mean by that?" Rarity inquired, sounding slightly suspicious.

"I mean that he changed into one of the locals that live that dimension."

"So, it is like C-H-S then?" Applejack asked. "Once you go through the portal, you turn into one of them?"

"Uh huh."

Trixie stood next to Twilight. "Hopefully, this doesn't backfire and have us trapped there." She said, coming up to the map.

"Wait-wait-wait!" Pinkie Pie popped up from under the table and jumped on it. "Did Starswirl mention anything about parties!?" The pink pony shoved her face right up in Twilight's, her eyes never straying from it's victim.

"Uhh-no but I'm sure they do have parties."

"Oh!" The pink pony leaned back with her signature smile. "Okay, good 'cause as soon as we get there." Her voice dropped in tone, a dark sound to it. "We. Are going. To have. A party!" The sound of a cannon went off and confetti flew everywhere.

"So, you're all going?" Trixie asked everyone, a series of "Yes" and nods came.

"Right, so." Twilight plopped down a book, a quil and some ink. "Everyone all set?" All the ponies nodded in anticipation.

"Just one question Twi?" Applejack asked. "How exactly're we goin' to get back?"

"Oh, there's a phrase on the scroll. All we have to do is read it, do what it says and we'll be sent back here." Twilight explained. "It says we gotta sing a birthday song."

"That's it? Nothin' else?"

"Nope! That's all we have to do."

"Aight good then."

A cheeky grin etched onto the unicorn's face as she faced everypony. "Does anypony else have anymore questions before we go?"

"Wait?" Trixie interrupted. "How are you gonna make sure that the scroll doesn't get destroyed?"

The lavender mare levitated a small container and a saddle bag onto the table. She put the scroll inside of the container before concealing it in the bag.

The magician was already having doubts about travelling to this other dimension - might as well call it the alternate universe because that sounded more accurate - and Twilight couldn't even think of doing something as simple as that?

The mare turned back to Starlight, beside her with a blank look.

"Alright, everypony we all set?" Twilight asked, looking around the map. They all nodded in agreement. "Okay, let's do this." She lit up the scroll with her horn, emitting a magical surge. An aura swirled around the scroll and soon after a large vortex had opened up.

One after the other, they were all sucked toward the inside of it with Trixie being the last one. This isn't going to turnout well...


Twilight groaned, slowly creaking open her eyes as she felt the soft surface beneath her. Grass! Soon after, she heard a series of groans. Turning to her left, she was left in a mix of confusion and worry as her eyes laid upon a group of strange figures in front of her.

She went to push herself off the ground when she was stunned to find that she had hands again but her frown deepened once she saw the state of them. It was a lightish brown color... beige perhaps? Strange... . She thought.

When she went through the mirror portal to C.H.S. her shade stayed the same, along with her... wait her mane!?

"What is going on!?" One of the figures in front of her exclaimed. She immediately recognized that voice, the great and powerful pony... well, human now.

All of her friends, their colors, the shade of their fur... it was gone; replaced by light shades of brown. She saw the presumable Trixie, staring down at her hands and fingers in shock. "Wha-wha... what is going on!? What is this!?" The girl now had black hair, it wasn't silver like it was back in Equestria. She was wearing a black zipped up hoodie with a pair of jeans and black sneakers.

"T-trixie... is that... you?" Another girl said, this one had dark brunette hair and recognized her as Starlight. She was wearing a sage green sweater with a pair of brown shorts and pink canvas shoes.

"Starlight!?" Twilight exclaimed as she stared at her pupil.

"Twilight!? Are you... you?" Starlight let out a confused chuckle.

Twilight was going to respond but another voice hollered out. The tone of a sophisticated lady. "What happened!? My... my mane!" She turned to see Rarity who was fiddling with her mane that was now black and wavy.

"This is just very weird..." Twilight muttered to herself, bringing her hand to her head.

"Weird?" The voice of pinkie pie came from beside her, making her jump and turning toward her.

"Pinkie!?" The girl beside her had curly auburn hair and was wearing a pair of black leggings with black and white sneakers that had a strange looking tick on it. She was also wearing a grey hoodie.

"Yyyyyes, Twilight?" The girl had a toothy-grin spread across her cheeks.

"What they hay is goin' on!?" She heard the unmistakable southern accent of Applejack. Her hair was still the same as it was, blonde. The farmer looked like she was about to live up to her title and do exactly that. Farming. She was wearing a blue and white checkered button up shirt with a pair of jeans and brown boots that had apples stitched onto them. She still had her signature hat.

Then everyone paused and looked at the girl in question.

"Well, I wouldn't say that this is a bad thing." The presumable Rainbow Dash came closer to the group. She had blonde hair with a fringe, wearing a black leather jacket with jeans and black boots. "Just a bit... weird." She said as she looked down at her hands. "What are we? We aren't ponies anymore. What was it called again? Humans, was it?"

"Yes, correct. Back at C-H-S this is similar to what I turned into." Twilight attempted to provide an explanation.

"Similar how?" Starlight asked.

"Well, our body structure was pretty much the same thing except my mane and skin. They were, you know lavender and navy blue?" She shrugged her shoulders.

"So now, we've been transformed into aliens!?"

"I don't think it's that big of a deal. We'll just have to get adjusted. Speaking of which." Starlight looked around the area, scanning her surroundings. "Where are we?"

"In a different dimension." Fluttershy (un)helpfully provided. The shy girl had chestnut colored hair that fell smoothly down to her shoulders and was wearing a white summer dress imprinted with pink flowers.

"I was actually referring to where in this world." Starlight replied.

Twilight got a look around, scanning the area. There were in a forest, surrounded by trees in all directions. As far she could tell, it was late in the evening and was beginning to set. An orange-pinkish hue was painted in the sky.

"Did we... somehow landed in this world's Everfree forest?" Rarity suggested.

"Maybe... maybe not." Twilight replied.

"That's not very reassuring."

The bookworm shrugged. "Alright, well at least we aren't hurt. Why don't we go explore?"

"Ah'm up for it."

"Yeah, me too!" Applejack and Rainbow agreed.

"Please tell me you still have the scroll," Trixie interjected before she could even start moving.

Her heart dropped as she realized that she had forgotten about it. She still had the saddle bag and the small container. Her relief came quickly as she saw the roll of paper, resting on the grass.

She was about to levitate it when she remembered she didn't have a horn. She bent down and picked up, chucking it in the container and sliding it into her brown leather bag. "Alright, there we go! We're all set! Now, is everypony ready to go?" She asked, looking around her group of friends who nodded and gave gestures of agreeance. "Okay, come on."

Everyone followed Twilight as she trailed off into the woods, she failed to notice the herd of rotten mangled corpses that were further back who were also following them.