• Published 19th Jan 2022
  • 500 Views, 2 Comments

Dear Maria, - CalmHeart



Shadow the Hedgehog thought he could never find someone to love as much as her. But, it seems she has sent this person to him. Uh, pony.

  • ...
5
 2
 500

Explosive Entrances and Introductions

Dear Maria,

What a turn around this has been. I now am great friends with Pinkie, and she even let me stay at her home.

Things are actually quite pleasant.

Although, the Chaos Emeralds...

It's still bothering me that the red one is here. What could it mean?

...I guess I'll have to find that out then. I hope you're doing well. I'm very lucky to have made such a close friend this fast here. Especially somepony like Pinkie.

Love,

Shadow


It had been a week since Shadow had settled into the Cake household. He had learned much about Equestrian culture, and had started working at the shop. Pinkie had insisted on him sleeping in her room, even though he objected to it. It was too personal for him. But still, He had a small bed on the other side of the room, near the stairs. They had become quite the pair of friends, fascinating many ponies in Ponyville, even Pinkie's best friends. But they didn't mind, and seemed to understand their friendship.

On this particular morning, Shadow had finished buying some baking supplies for Mr.Cake, whom was planning a new recipe alongside his wife. He walked along, his destination being the cupcake building.

Shadow respected the couple, and their dedication to baking and each other.

It was quite, for lack of a better term, sweet.

He had also met their twin foals, and yes, they were chaotic. But nothing he and Pinkie couldn't handle.

Ah, yes. Pinkie Pie.

He had grown quite fond of the pink mare, and quickly had gained respect for her shortly after moving in. She really did want to make as many happy as she could. He had seen it these last few days, and he was actually quite curious about it. How did she find so much happiness in life?

Oh, how his allies and friends would react to them...

Actually, scratch that. He really wouldn't want others to know about it.

...Yet.

Pinkie opened the door to Sugarcube Corner, and inhaled deeply. It was shaping up to be a great day.

She heard the approaching swiftness of her friend, and smiled her iconic smile.

Shadow stopped in front of her, and flashed a quick smile.

"Good morrow, Ms. Pie."

Pinkie giggled, grabbing the bag of supplies Shadow handed her.

"Being all formal today, are we Mr. Shady?"

Shadow stifled a laugh. The nickname had grown on him quite a bit, and at times the way she used it made him want to laugh. He continued to play along.

"Hm, why, yes indeed. It seems I've run into quite a predicament, and had not produced the exact quantity of items needed to be acquired."

Pinkie gasped.

"WHAT?!"

Shadow gave out a genuine laugh. "I'm just kidding, I got everything."

Pinkie gasped again, this time with happiness.

"You.. Just.. Laughed! And gave a joke!" She laughed with joy, and bounced around. Shadow chuckled.

"You must be rubbing off on me."

Pinkie stopped hopping around, and brought in the supplies. Shadow crossed his arms and stood outside for a moment, observing the townsfolk. Suddenly, he felt something. Something very familiar. He stood straight, and uncrossed his arms.

The wind started to pick up. A rip in the sky had appeared. Shadow was now concerned.

And just like that, chaos broke loose.

A big mech had crashed into the town, near the park. It was futuristic, and wacky. In an instant, Shadow knew who it was. He knew what had just happened. And just like that, he jumped into action, and ran towards the commotion. Pinkie was walking back when she saw Shadow run off.

"Sha-"

She then saw what he was running to, and she saw small figures falling out of the sky. Shadow had also seen the figures, and had recognized them.

Pinkie's eyes widened.

"Uh-oh..."


Sonic grunted in pain as he slowly made his way to a standing position.

When he opened his eyes, the world seemed brighter than usual.

Then, he saw some colorful ponies running around. He was confused, but right now, he had to direct his attention to Eggman, who was laughing manically.

"Welcome to Equestria my spiky blue fiend! I found this little place a while back, shortly after Shadow's little disappearance. It's filled with limitless power, and I intend to harness that power!"

Sonic turned to look around, and saw that, yes indeed, he was in another world. He saw his other friends trying to stand as well.

Tails, Knuckles, Amy, Silver, and Rouge all had all been roped into this adventure, most for similar reasons. Tails, Knuckles and Amy just wanted to help Sonic thwart another Eggman plan, and Silver and Rouge were concerned about Shadow's whereabouts.

Now, they were all here.

Eggman pointed missiles to Sonic and his friends.

"Ah, well, I can't resist! All of you are now vulnerable!"

Sonic grunted, and jumped with all his strength with a homing attack.

Suddenly, another blur, a golden blur, destroyed the missile cannons immediately, nearly hitting Sonic. Luckily Sonic got out of the way in time. He landed back on the ground, and looked to see who that was.

Standing there, with crossed arms, was none other than Shadow the Hedgehog. His face was neutral, but angry.

Eggman was surprised but smiled with villainy.

"Shadow! So, this is where you've been."

Shadow stared meaninglessly at Eggman.

"Doctor. You will NOT be harming this world."

Shadow said no more, and once again attacked the mech.

He made quick work of it too, while also making Eggman particularly pissed off. He growled, but didn't stay angry for long.

Eggman pulled his regular flying machine out of the now destroyed mech, and flew up higher.

"I'll be back, with a plan to blow your minds, literally!"

Eggman flew off, Shadow watching him go as he stood on the ground.

Sonic was now standing up straight.

"Shadow."

Shadow turned to see Sonic giving him a smile. Shadow stayed stone faced.

"Sonic."

He gave simple nods to greet the rest of them, and Rouge was the first to walk up to him.

"So, how'd you end up in a cutesy place like this?"

"I wanted to lest the limits of my Chaos Control powers, and used a Chaos Emerald to do so. Unfortunately, it brought me here. The other Chaos Emeralds might also be in this world because of that."

Sonic smirked. "Well, an adventure is not complete without finding all the Chaos Emeralds, now is it? "

Shadow gave an eye-roll to Sonic as Silver spoke. "It's good to have you back Shadow."

Shadow nodded in response, as he noticed the mane 6 frantically running in to the scene.

Probably because of Pinkie.

He wanted to smile, but he knew whom he was around now.

And with that, he realized, he had to make a decision. A decision about her.

Show it, or hide it?

'...'

He choose the former.

"Shadow we saw you running over and-"

Twilight stopped mid-sentence, noticing the different anthropomorphic animals around.

"Uh, who are they?"

"That's what I would like to know." Knuckles spoke, being the first to turn and look at the group of female equines. The others tuned their heads to the group. Both groups were not too shocked to see the other, as both were similar in concept. Walking animals who talked. Although, Silver and Tails were quick to note the two pegsi and the one unicorn... And the purple one, who had spoken.

Shadow walked past the group, and stood in front of the ponies.

"These are the ponies who have saved their world from their own worldly disasters. The purple alicorn is Twilight Sparkle, the blue pegasus is Rainbow Dash, the yellow pegasus is Fluttershy, the orange earth pony is Applejack, the white unicorn is Rarity, and the pink one is.." He momentarily paused. He closed his eyes, and gave a heavy sigh. It was a fake sigh, but sounded genuine. He opened his eyes, and Pinkie noticed a false sense of annoyance in them.

"Pinkie Pie."

All the mane 6 noticed the tone shift. He sounded annoyed, and tolerant. They knew he wasn't like that.

Pinkie had assumed that he was feeling uncomfortable, so she did what she did best, and gave him a hug.

"Shady here's our friend!"

Shadow's eyes grew wide, and he felt a fluster coming on.

He suddenly growled, and pushed Pinkie off of him.

"Not really."

He mumbled loud enough for Sonic and Co. to hear him, but not so that the mane 5 herd him. But Pinkie did.

She gasped, and felt hurt.

"Wha-"

Shadow simply grumbled, and walked past Sonic and co, towards the fountain.

The mane 5 immediately took notice of Pinkie's mood shift. She was a little shocked, and actually looked quite sad.

"Don't worry about him."

Sonic suddenly spoke, mainly to Pinkie. She looked at him.

"He's usually like that." Rouge finished for him, and Sonic turned conversation over to twilight.

Pinkie wasn't satisfied with that explanation, and ran over to Shadow, whom was walking away.

"Why'd you say that!?"

"Sshh!"

Shadow hushed her, putting a hand over her mouth.

He glanced behind him, making sure no one was looking back.

He suddenly grabbed her hoof.

"I'll level with you."

Shadow quickly hid himself and pinkie behind the fountain. He let go of her hoof.

"Do you remember how I said I don't act like I do around you around others from my world?"

Pinkie thought back to their conversation a week prior.

"Yes, I do... But what does that have to do with-"

"I put out a tough front in front of most people in my life. I have to, as I... usually have trouble showing all sides of me. It's become so common in front Sonic and his friends, that I have to keep up this act. Or else be teased endlessly, or worse, not seen as a formidable asset. I know this doesn't make much sense to you, but it means a lot to me."

Pinkie had been listening with care and patience as soon as he finished his first sentence. She cared about what he valued, and if this what he valued, she was going to respect it.

"Okay Shadow, if that's what you want. We, as in you, me , and my friends, will keep this-" She pointed to him, then to herself to emphasize she was serious. "-A secret."

Shadow nodded.

"Promise?"

Pinkie smiled, and held up a hoof, crossing her heart, fluttering it, then putting her hoof in her eye.

"Pinkie Promise."

Shadow gave a small, but confused smile.

"Pinkie promise?"

Pinkie smiled again.

"Yeah, It's my way of keeping a promise permanent."

Shadow smiled, and nodded.

Suddenly, Pinkie herd someone calling.

"Hey, where did your pink friend run off to?"

Pinkie sighed, and grinned.

"Looks like I'm needed."

Shadow's face went back to a neutral one, and nodded.

He looked up to the sun.

"Yeah, and my shift at Sugarcube Corner is about to start. I believe it's an entire counter shift."

"I'll keep them away from the shop until your shift is over then."

Shadow looked back in front of him, to see Pinkie giving him a huge grin.

Shadow smirked.

"Alright then."

Pinkie hugged him again, but this time he returned it. By now he was used to her hugs, and was even returning them.

They let go, and Shadow teleported away. Pinkie gave a simple nod, and readied a big smile. She walked away from the fountain beaming. Sonic was the one to mention her, and so turned around to see her walking back up to the group.

"One day he'll be my friend!"

The mane 5 were confused, but Pinkie shortly explained the situation to them as they toured the anthros around Ponyville. They all were admittedly bewildered by the decision, but all complied.

Shortly after, Sonic and co. got settled into guest rooms at the castle. They had been told of Twilight's postponed coordination into becoming ruler of Equestria, so it might be uncertain as to how long they would be living in this castle.

Later that night, Shadow made a trip to Twilight's castle, to reunite with a friend properly.

He was being told she was held in a room with a balcony, so he headed there.

He softly knocked on the door, and Rouge opened it.

She was a little surprised to see him, but gave a smile nonetheless.

"Hello Shadow."

"Hello Rouge." He spoke politely, and nodded his head.

"Thought I should give you a better greeting than just a simple nod this time."

That really surprised Rouge. She had accepted the nod earlier in the day as his greeting, as that was his usual go to. She smiled again.

"Any reason for this actual greeting then?"

Shadow suddenly stood straight. He knew the reason, but he just couldn't tell Rouge...

...Yet.

He closed his eyes, attempting to hide all emotion. But the bat could sense something was off about him... And, wait, was that... Embarrassment she felt coming off of him?

Rouge waved her hand.

"Nevermind. I'm just glad you're safe Shadow."

Shadow inhaled silently, and gave a smirk, which was more of a smile than a genuine smirk.

"I'm glad you are too Rouge."

Rouge felt her eyes widen.

'Did he just..'

She was about to speak up when Shadow teleported away, leaving Rouge confused and bewildered.

'What..?'

Author's Note:

I'm excited to see how long I can keep this one run on for. If you have any chapter scenarios, please let me know! Write you later!