• Published 18th Sep 2012
  • 4,360 Views, 189 Comments

Innocence Once Lost - Scorched Earth



Discord has a plan: seek aid from other universes to overcome The Elements of Harmony.

  • ...
7
 189
 4,360

Unwelcome changes

Proof reader/Editor: Biker_Dash

"Welcome to Ponyville. Hope you enjoyed the ride!" The human pilot said before bursting in to a laughter. Both Twilights, Applejack, Fluttershy and Rarity looked very ill. Rainbow Dash and Pinkie Pie were only ones who weren't colored green. Rainbow Dash because she was used to such rides and Pinkie Pie... well, she was Pinkie Pie. Among Royal Guard there was a saying when someone wondered how she managed do things like she did: "It's Pinkie Pie, question invalid." Although guards would never admit, it had been pretty much stolen from humans who used "It's magic, science invalid" when it came to trying to understand magic.

"How can you people use these things!? I feel like everything I have eaten during this week is coming up!" Original!Twilight shouted at the humans who where holding their stomachs. Except for one, who was currently keeping as much distance from Pinkie Pie as he could. Nobody really knew what Pinkie had done during the war, but for some reason a large number of human veterans were scared to death of her. She had been effectively banned from ever approaching the human territory and was also a reason why personnel at the embassy were only recruited from non-war veterans.

"You think this is bad? Try taking a ride when they travel to the moon! I swear, it was the worst ride EVER!" Alternative!Twilight commented. She was looking much better, but only in comparison to her doppelganger. She herself felt like her two days food was in hurry to get out. Once the transport finally touched the ground and door opened, she was first to get out. "LAND! GOOD SOLID LAND!" On the edge of her vision she could see others repeating the process. Humans were having a field day. She couldn't prove it, but she could swear humans took the most unstable route whenever she was on board. When she traveled with Princess Luna the rides were much smoother and guards took their duty much more seriously.

"Okay, now that we have offered out prayers to ground, let's head to library. Spike should be helping Rarity at this time of the day, so it's empty. Maybe I can fill you in for some more... important details, so that shock isn't so big when you see them. Besides, I need to figure out where you can sleep, unless The Princess decides to have you stay at Canterlot. Although I doubt that, Canterlot is not the most... hospitable places anymore."

"I noticed the change is decoration and design. How did that happen?" Original!Twilight asked.

"The old castle got destroyed. The new castle was build in it's place, with more emphasis on defenses." Alternative!Twilight thought for a moment. "Well, non-pony defenses to be more precise. The old castle could easily repel any attack made by ponies, but against humans and diamond dogs? It got overrun in less than an hour." They arrived at the library and Alternative!Twilight opened door. Others noticed that the tree looked like it had suffered some major damage and was still recovering. The bookshelves were also a lot more empty.

"I have been trying to refill the collection here, but a lot of books were rarities which I can't replace. There should be a book here somewhere that explains The War..." Alternative!Twilight started to go trough the books, before giving up. "Aw, damn it. I gotten too used to this spell... Search: The History Of Human War, Author: 'Lyra Heartstring'" Her horn started to glow from magic, creating a orb. The orb quickly flew across bookshelves, before stopping in front of a book. It grabbed the book and brought it to Twilight. "Here we go."

"Wow, why haven't I have thought of that spell?" Original!Twilight said. She did have a spell that could locate books she wanted, but it usually was a lot less precise than the one used here.

"I got the idea after trying out The Database that humans had created. Of course, unless you make specific inquiries like back then, you might end up with several different books. If I hadn't specified the author, I would have gotten at least three other books. The spell is still work-in-progress." Alternative!Twilight said and laid down the book in front of them. "Most of the important stuff is in there. I suggest you read it while I contact... 'our' version of you. Thank Goddesses that Luna convinced humans to build that communications network. At least I don't have to go and find them individually..." Alternative!Twilight left the room, leaving the Mane Six alone.

"Your double is quite grumpy. Let's see what's the big deal with this 'The War' she keeps referring to," Applejack said. All of them gathered around as Twilight started to read the book. She didn't further than the first chapter when she closed the book, silent and shocked. Rainbow Dash was first to speak.

"They... dropped an asteroid... on Cloudsdale?"

"And Manehattan, Los Pegasus and Canterlot," Alternative!Twilight said as she returned, carrying mugs and some tea and coffee. "And that was the first day. Then we got Disaster of Ghastly Gorge, where the Royal Guard was send running tail between their legs, like the diamond dogs say. And then... then there was Fall of Baltimare... The first we saw how humans fought war. Celestia tried to tell us to not to come there, but we didn't listen. She tried to warn us how horrible it would be and we just assume it would be no worse than beating up changelings. Oh how wrong were..." Alternative!Twilight shook her head. "But you wouldn't know, would you? You never lived trough The War. Your universe sounds like a paradise when you compare it to ours."

The group just remained silent. This Twilight was so different from one they were used to. The bitterness and sorrow that were hidden in those words were a stark contrast to normally curious and cheery Twilight. When they added what they had just learned, they finally began to understand what Alternative!Twilight had meant with The War leaving 'it's mark on everyone'.

"It must have been horrible..." Fluttershy said.

"Oh you have no idea..." Someone knocked at the door. "Get in to the kitchen. Just in case it's not one of us. I don't want to explain why you all look different and why there are two of me."

"Did she just say 'different'"? Rarity said when they hid in the kitchen and tried to listen in.

"Oh, hi Rarity. Good to see you and Spike back so soon."

"Well you did gave us a suddenly call to break off whatever we were doing and get here," Spike's voice could be heard. "Also, you own Rarity a new pair of glasses. We lost the ones she was wearing on our way here."

"Right, right, I will get you new ones. Come on it. I will explain everything." They heard that the door was closed.

"Careful, looks like somebody visited the place. Chairs have been moved," Spike said to someone.

"Don't worry Spike. I can take OW!" Rarity's voice answered.

"Like I said, chairs have been moved. Here, follow me."

"Haah, I miss being able to see sometimes..."

"I heard humans have been testing their cloning equipment to make eyes. Perhaps you could participate in those?"

"I don't know... can you choose what color your eyes are?"

"I have no idea."

"Okay you two love birds, sit down and I get the reason, or reasons why I called you here."

"LOVE BIRDS!?" Applejack shouted. Everyone else was equally shocked.

"Oh? Is Applejack here? Isn't she supposed to be seeing Big Macintosh?"

"Well, I will explain later. Alright you all, come over here." The group exited the kitchen and walked in to the main room.

"Wait what?" Spike shouted.

"Spike? Twilight? What is it?"

"Well, uhh, how do I say this... There are currently two Twilights and two Rarity's in the room. I guess the other ones are doubles of rest of our friends."

"Doubles? You mean as someone who looks like me?" Alternative!Rarity said. Original!Rarity and others simply stared at her eyes. They lacked pupil, while iris being completely white. If her eyes had been any closer to her mane in color, they could have easily thought that she was missing eyes.

"Oh my..." Fluttershy said, holding her hooves in front of her mouth.

"Fluttershy? Is that you darling?" Alternative!Rarity asked, looking slightly left of Fluttershy.

"Okay, everyone sit down. I will explain this all the best I can. Well, once everyone arrives too, I am NOT going to through the explanation five times." Alternative!Twilight said. Right on cue Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy walked in.

"Hey! Sorry we came only now, I had to tuck Scootaloo in for a night. Met Fluttershy on my way here. So what uuuuu..." Words died on Rainbow Dash's lips as she saw the group seated on the room. "Ooohkay maybe I just shut up and wait for an explanation..."

"What... what happened to you?" Original!Twilight managed to ask. It was enough that Rarity had lost her sight in this universe, but she was staring at Fluttershy who was wearing a prosthetic leg.

"Oh, it's nothing..."

"Nothing my hat! You're missing a leg!" Applejack commented.

"Humans, I screwed up." Alternative!Rainbow Dash said, with all too familiar bitterness in her voice.

"Let's... let's not talk about it. We still need to wait for Applejack to arrive. She said she is nearly back, just couple of minutes and she should be here... wait... Where is Pinkie Pie?"

"She hasn't arrive yet."

"No, not ours, your Pinkie Pie... Where is our Pinkie Pie? I thought... oh crab..." Right on cue two Pinkie Pies appeared behind her.

"What's wrong?" Pinkie Pie #1 said.

"AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH!" Now, normally pegasis are only ones who can fly. However, at that particular moment Twilight didn't really care what the rules of the gravity said about unicorn trying to fly. "NEVER! AGAIN! DO! THAT!" She screamed from the lamp she was clinging to.

"Oh, sorry, forgot you are kinda jumpy after The Lunar Crisis... hehe..." Pinkie Pie #2 said,

"I had enough of this! You two! Which one is native to this universe, you stay as you are! Other one, go and grab some cloth and wear it so I can tell which one is which!" Alternative!Twilight was clearly not amused by the events. She dropped down and took a deep breath.

"Twilight, darling, I told you need to go to therapy. It's not healthy to live like that." Alternative!Rarity said with a worry. She was looking slightly right of Twilight, instead "staring" at Applejack who moved slightly.

"I. Don't. Need. Therapy."

"Yes you need."

"I'm with Rarity, you are afraid of your own shadow these days." Spike said, looking worried. Twilight had been a nervous wreck after The War and with Lunar Crisis an year back, had turned her into a paranoid nervous wreck. She barely went outside if it wasn't either with her friends or being escorted by Royal Guards.

"This conversation is over," Alternative!Twilight said with finality. Rarity and Spike simply sighed. They had been trying to convince Twilight to go and get help, but she denied any need for it. Then again, they weren't much to say. Each one of them had been scarred, either mentally or physically or both during The War.

“Wow... Never thought I would see something like this.” Applejack commented.

“I think I don't like this universe...” Original!Twilight whispered to Applejack. Seeing herself acting like she did and her friends urging her to get into therapy, which she rejected quite forcefully was not something she had wanted to see when she found that spell. What's worse, her actions quite clearly showed she needed the therapy. Her mane was slightly messed up. Her eyes darted around the room in subtle ways, as if trying to hide the fact that she was expecting something to jump from nowhere.

Fortunately, a knock to the door saved them from any further awkward moments. Applejack of this universe had finally arrived. Alternative!Twilight went to open the door. After standard round of confusion and promises to explain everything, everyone was seated at the table, native ponies on one side and visitors on the other side.

“Right, so we are all here and equally confused, why don't you tell them your story while I make some sandwiches. I haven't eaten for a whole day.” Alternative!Twilight said and walked to the kitchen. Original!Twilight just looked at the expectant ponies on the other side on the table and gulped.

“Well... let's see... so... I found this spell in Royal Library, which would allow you to peek into other universes, realities, timelines et cetera. So I called my friends, as you can see and cast the spell. Everything went well, until we tried to locate ourselves, or more specifically, you. A that point, some strange magic came trough the view port and released Discord.”

“What!? Discord is free? Did he send you here, to keep himself safe?!” Alternative!Applejack shouted.

“No, quite opposite. Discord did something with the view port and made it into a portal. He escaped trough it and we followed him here. Unfortunately, the portal has now closed and you got two Discords to deal with.”

“Well, our Discord should be easy one to deal with. He is still in stone and unless he has somehow managed to get himself an army, he won't stand a chance against modern Royal Guard. Especially if he goes against Trixie's Raiders,” Alternative!Dash said. “I mean, have you seen those guys fighting? I swear they could take on Ursa Major if given heads up that such creature is coming.”

“Wait wait wait, is this the same Trixie we know? The showmare? The one who turned my hair into green?” Original!Rarity asked.

“The same one. She... had a quite traumatic experience Fillydelphia when humans razed it. Then she arrived at Ponyville just as humans attacked it. After surviving that, which in itself is a major accomplishment for a civilian, she joined Royal Guard and rose through the ranks quite fast. She is a captain now days and leads her own unit, Trixie's Raiders. Heard she might be made a general one day, if she keeps this up,” Spike said. Visitors noted that he and Rarity sat quite close to each others and Spike was helping her whenever she tried to move. He had gone and picked up a spare glasses and given them to Rarity, allowing her to hide her white eyes. Others were grateful for that, it was way too creepy to look at her. Original!Rarity was pleased to note that despite such enormous handicap, her double still managed to keep herself fashionable.

“Right... So... Forgive me if this rude or something but... you two?” Original!Twilight asked, pointing at Alternative!Rarity and Spike.

“A long story. Let's leave it at that,” Alternative!Rarity said with a wave of her hoof. The group decided to accept this. Alternative!Twilight returned and brought a big pile of sandwiches with her.

“Right, now that we got that out of the way, we need to decide how to move. First of all, where everyone sleeps. I would normally say that the library is fine but... well, you guys know how this place is. I am missing several rooms so I can't house everyone.”

“True, it's a small miracle it survived the battle.” Alternative!Dash said, whole grabbing a sandwich.

“So I was thinking... can you each house your double for now? Until we know what the Princesses decide to do. Luna should return in a day or two and humans have been warned. So don't get surprised if we hear about increased military presence near the border. It's not for a war against us.”

“Well, Big Macs room is empty so Ah can have a guest or two, Ah guess,” Alternative!Applejack said. “That reminds me, I want to talk to you Twilight about something I heard today.”

“Well, if my double here doesn't mind sleeping on a couch I don't see a problem. However, I'm just thinking... what about kids? I mean, I doubt I could fool Scootaloo for a long,” Alternative!Dash said.

“Damn it, I forgot that... Well, let's just let them know about this for but make sure they don't tell anyone. They would find out anyway and sooner they learn, less likely they are to freak out by sudden change in behavior.”

“Uuh, question? What does Scootaloo has to do with me bunking with you?” Original!Dash asked, raising her hoof.

“Huh? You don't... oh, yeah, you didn't experience The War. So you would never end up the same situation. Well, quick and simple explanation that I have adopted Scootaloo and she lives with me. Let's leave it that.”

“Adopted!? But... you... and... Wonderbolts...”

“Silly little dream I once had. I'll explain it some other time.” Alternative!Dash said with finality. Original!Dash just threw her hooves in the air in confusion.

“Me and me here already set up everything!” Alternative!Pinkie (or at least everyone thought so. She was sitting on their side, but this was Pinkie Pie after all.)

“Why I am not surprised... Anyway, that leaves Rarity and Fluttershy.”

“Oh, it will be OK. It might actually be good, to have myself to help with the dresses!” Alternative!Rarity said with a smile. Finally, someone who had exact same standards as she had and still had her eyesight. She could finally finish that dress she had been trying to make for a week now. Spike and Sweetie Bell did their best to help, but they lacked certain eye for fashion. Then she groaned when she realized the pun.

“Oh, I think it will be OK, I mean, if you don't mind the animals.” Fluttershy said.

“No, I don't mind, I like animals...”

Two groups stared at two shy pegasis before Alternative!Applejack shouted, “For the suns sake, you are the nearly same mare! What are you two being shy about!?”

“I um, I just thought if she had different personality and um...” The rest of the group just shook their heads, sighed, facehoofed or did all three at this. “I'm sorry...” This lead so second round head shakes, sighs and facehooves.

“It's OK, just... nothing. It's nothing. So everyone pairs of with their double and sets up for this night. Spike, can you go with Rarity? She's going to need help with this. You know the new layout, unlike our visitor here.”

“Alright.” One by one ponies paired off with their doubles, eventually leaving just Applejacks and Twilights in the room.

“So, Twilight, I had something I wanted to ask you about. Your... medical opinion, so to speak,” Alternative!Applejack said.

“Private or...?”

“Private, preferably.”

“Follow me. Please wait here and don't listen in. Please,” Alternative!Twilight said and lead Alternative!Applejack to other room.

“I wonder what that was all about.” Original!Applejack said.

“I wonder too... there are so many things that are different. Did you notice the scars? Then we got adopted Scootaloo and crippled Fluttershy and so forth. So many things are different here...” Original!Twilight shook her head. She was starting to regret ever finding the spell. She had expected a nice different universe, perhaps one where they would be stallions, or maybe zebras, or something like that. An universe where half them had suffered permanent physical injuries and she herself was suffering mental scarring... that had not been one she had expected or wanted.

After a while, two native mares returned to the room.

“Thanks Twilight. I wasn't sure, these are humans after...”

“They are humans, yes, but they are trying to put their past behind. They helped Princess Luna after The Lunar Crisis and have assisted doctors curing several formerly 'fatal' diseases. I can understand your worries, it's an untested method, but... It's been nine years, Applejack. You need to either let go, or try something new. You can't wait forever.”

“I know, I know. I'm just... afraid...” Alternative!Applejack gave a sight. “Alrighty then, let's head to the farm. Ah need to show ya your room and explain this mess to others. See ya tomorrow!” With that, two Applejacks left the library, leaving two Twilights to settle in.

“Well, I guess I need to make an another bed for you. I hope you don't mind if it isn't exactly up to standards.” Alternative!Twilight said and headed for a bedroom.

“Can you tell me what was that about?”

“Not really. It's Applejacks thing. She will tell when the time comes. Even if we are doubles of each others, we all have our own secrets. I would suggest that you finish the history book. You need to know exactly how wounded Equestria is.”

“No offense... but why are you so harsh? I mean, we are supposed to be the same pony yet...”

“Let me ask something funny from you. How's mom and dad doing?”

“Huh? Oh, quite well. They are fawning over their granddaughter.”

“So Shining is alive too? Still married?”

“Yeah. Not here?”

“Mom and dad were in Manehattan. They and Manehattan are no longer.”

“Oh my...”

“And Shining Armor? Dead and buried too. He was killed when the humans raided Canterlot alongside diamond dogs. So excuse me if I am not exactly happy to see someone who can go back to their happy-go-lucky life and see them. I didn't even get to see them. One day I had a family. Then suddenly, you get a letter which tells you no longer have one. So there. Have fun. Read the book. I am going to go and plan how to kill the bastard before I lose anymore friends. Night.” Alternative!Twilight walked upstairs. Original!Twilight stood with her mouth open, staring after her.

That... was not something she had expected. She suspected there were even more than just her parents and brother dying. She looked around. In one corner there were pictures of her parents and Shining Armor. Next to them were two letters. She didn't date to read them, but she could guess what letters they were. She then returned back to the book. She no longer expected to be friendly with her double, but she hoped they could at least work together. The sooner Discord would be defeated, the sooner they could try to return to their own world.

After a hour later, she had finished the book. What she had learned, shocked her. Battles where casualties were counted in tens of thousands, entire cities destroyed, millions dead... This was not an universe of harmony. It was an universe of death in her opinion. She looked other books in the library. She found a few news papers, dated years back. She quickly went trough them. All of them had ominous headlines, like “Los Pegasus has fallen!” or “Invaders break trough Ghastly Gorge” or “Zebra Union remains out of the war: refuses to aid”. Only headlines with hope were “Ceasefire signed! Is the end near?” and “The war is over! Humans sign peace treaty alongside diamond dogs!”. Even that continued stating that humans would maintain control of much of the southern Equestria.

She wanted to return home.