• Published 13th Dec 2021
  • 273 Views, 1 Comments

Fancy Pants In: The Mystery of The Blanks - TheTeaTurtle



A letter from an old friend leads Fancy Pants to a brand new adventure. Accompanied by his faithful apprentice Pipsqueak, the duo set out to solve a seemingly simple missing ponies case that leads them down a rabbit hole to a greater mystery.

  • ...
 1
 273

Chapter Three: A Promise Made

Chapter Three:

A Promise Made

The evening glow of Celestia’s glorious light bathed the streets of happy little Ponyville. Ponies came and went, passing Fancy and Pip either without much acknowledgement or an ear to ear smile on their face as a greeting. It was all rather idyllic, Fancy had to admit, as he followed behind his young apprentice. The brown spotted colt had declared that he had been to Twilight Sparkles house once before and had offered to lead, which Fancy obliged.

“Her tree house should be....this way!” Pip pointed and strode confidently toward the north, past the Quill and Sofa shop. As Fancy followed the young lad, he began to ponder everything he knew about Celestia’s star student. The rumor mill spins fast in Canterlot and most of the gossip that sticks is usually discarded by Fancy as simply slander, but some of what he recalled said about Ms. Twilight was rather positive, if a little dramatic. Being the pupil of the Princess was of course grounds for praise but the upper echelons also talked of her being rather high strung and no nonsense. She was as smart as she was beautiful, using her knowledge to play the game of politics without remorse like a true socialite gentlemare, despite her ‘bumpkin station’.

But whenever Fancy thought of these things, he couldn’t help but chortle. The only thing he knew about the supposedly ruthless and cunning Twilight Sparkle was how...charming of a dancer she was and how understanding she had been toward Rarity during that whole garden party fiasco. If that socially awkward purple unicorn was as ruthless and cunning as Fancy’s social circle had talked about then she was an amazing actor.

“There!” Pip called out, shaking Fancy out of his thoughts “I knew I didn’t forget!”

Fancy followed the gaze of his student and laid his eyes upon the Golden Oak Library, and it certainly lived up to the name. The huge stumps left behind from the huge, long removed branches had been hollowed out to fit windows, with green shrubbery placed above to act as both natural curtains and minor insulation from the outside elements. Even the crown of the tree, with its marvelously green leaves, had been fitted with branch inlined windows. A truly stunning piece of architecture, in Fancy’s mind.

“After you, Mr. Fancy.” Pip waved toward the large red door of the library. A lit candle was painted onto the top half of the entryway, reminding Fancy of all the times he spent studying under candlelight in Canterlot libraries in his younger years. Clever design.

“Thank you, master Pip.” Fancy bowed his head and knocked on the large door.

“Coming!” a young, boyish voice called back. Soon after, the door creaked as it was pulled open and on the other side was a short, purple scaled dragonling with green eyes and spines along his back that ended at the top of his head with a large rounded spike. The young dragon looked up at Fancy with a questioning look and set his eyes on Pip, smiling when he saw him “Oh, hiya Pips! Long time no see!”

Pip smiled back, giving a wave “Hi Spike, sorry it’s been so long. I moved to Canterlot not long ago!” Spike put his hands on his sides and looked Pip up and down, smirking.

“Yeah well, you definitely look like a high falutin Canterlot type with that dorky little suit.” Spike said, giggling at Pip’s annoyed face before looking up at Fancy “No offense, big guy.”

Fancy Pants chuckled “None taken, dear boy. Me and young Pip are here to see Ms. Twilight Sparkle. Would she happen to be around?”

Spike’s mischievous smile disappeared instantly, replaced with a dour expression as he looked back into the library “Um, yeah, she’s here but I dunno if she would want to see anyone right now. Things have been...rough around here.”

Fancy nodded “I understand. I spoke to Rarity and learned about the missing little ponies. I was hoping Ms. Sparkle would have more information for my investigation.”

Spike’s eyes went wide with worry “You spoke to Rarity? Is...she doing okay?”

“She’s staying strong, despite the awful circumstances.” He replied. The dragon sighed, the trouble remaining in his big green eyes.

“That’s good, I guess.” Spike stuck his head out the door and looked around “So are you a detective? Like in one of those books?”

“Well, er,” Fancy, for the first time in a while, looked nervous “I wouldn’t-”

“You bet!” Pip cut in, enthusiasm at the max “We solved a big case in Canterlot a month ago! There was a big shadow pony stomping around like *boom* *boom* *boom* and me and Fancy put a stop to it by solving some puzzles and getting help from the Princesses!”

Spike raised a brow and looked at the two. Fancy was rubbing the back of his head while Pip kept his wide smile.

“Uh, okaaay. Sure.” Spike’s dubious expression remained as he pointed behind him “I’ll see if Twilight wants any visitors mister, uh, what’s your name?” He asked the mustached stallion. Fancy cleared his throat and adjusted his monocle.

“Fancy Pants, at your service.”

Spike nodded “Don’t go anywhere.”

The door shut and Pip waited a moment before he let out an exasperated grunt “Why didn’t he believe me? We should be known all around Equestria because of that! Right, Mr. Fancy?”

Fancy shook his head “Now Pip, a gentlecolt can take pride in his actions but must remain humble, remember that.” He then smiled “Besides, not everypony keeps up with events such as that. They want to live their lives as quietly as possible without worrying about the possibility of a giant shadow stallion stepping on their cabbages.”

Pip didn’t look satisfied with that answer but he nodded regardless, letting out another sigh “You’re right, Mr. Fancy. I’m sorry.”

“No need to apologize, my apprentice. You’re still learning.” The white stallion replied calmly. He looked down at his student as the young colt produced his notepad to go over his notes. He felt a pang of worry enter his chest, one that had bothered him ever since he took on Pipsqueak as his understudy. Was he a good enough teacher for the lad? Was he truly practicing what he taught? These questions were cut off as the telltale shimmering sound of magic hit his ear and the door was coated in a sparkling pink aura.

The door was pulled open slowly, the Unicorn it revealed looking just as exhausted as Rarity had. Twilight’s dark mane was frizzy and she had heavy bags underneath her dark purple eyes, an indication of either late night studying, or anxiety induced insomnia. Nevertheless, she tried her best to put on a smile.

“Hello, Mr. Fancy Pants. It’s-” She yawned, covering her mouth with a hoof “-good to see you again.”

“You as well, Ms. Twilight Sparkle.” Fancy bowed “I must say, you look rather...tired.”

Twilight let out a good natured, exhausted laugh “Yeah, I’m a disaster right now.” She looked down beside the stallion “Good to see you again too, Pip.”

“You too Twilight!” He said cheerfully “I got to see Princess Luna again! She is so amazing!”

Her eyes widened slightly. “Oh, that’s wonderful!” She yawned once more but shook her head to fight off the tiredness “Anyway, would you two like to come in? I would offer tea but I’m fresh out.”

“Of course, thank you Ms. Sparkle.” Fancy replied gracefully. Twilight’s face flushed in embarrassment, and she rubbed the back of her head.

“Just Twilight, please. Formalities make me nervous.” She said through an anxious smile. Fancy chuckled and nodded politely.

“Very well. Lead the way, Twilight.”

The interior of the library was just as impressive as its exterior. The inside had been carved by nopony less than a master artist, carving bookshelves into the walls, along with tables, doorways and even stairs out of the tree itself. Speaking of bookshelves, this library was stuffed with countless works of literature. Just from a passing glance, the gentlecolt noticed works by numerous philosophers, both pony and not, many books on the magical, alchemical, and practical sciences, along with fantasy novels of all kinds. Fancy made a mental note to bring Fleur here on one of their trips someday, once all this mystery solving was over.

Twilight led the two ponies to a log table in the center of the library, which seemed to be used primarily for displaying new book releases as well as a hedge trimming of a regal looking pony. Twilight waved a hoof at the available chairs and took one herself “I have to ask, Fancy. What brings you to Ponyville?”

“I received a letter from Ms. Rarity requesting my presence.” He stated, pulling out said letter and magically gave it Twilight, who in turn took it in her own telekinesis to analyze it “I am assuming she heard of my...adventure in Canterlot a month prior.”

Twilight grimaced and looked away nervously “Yeah...that might have been my fault. I got a letter from Princess Celestia explaining everything after I freaked out a bit over her not replying to my messages for a few days.” She shook her head and placed the letter on the table “I’m assuming this means you spoke with Rarity already?”

He closed his eyes in affirmation and she went silent. For a moment, Fancy assumed she may have dozed off before she spoke again.

“I never thought something like this would happen. Three little ponies vanishing into thin air.” She said grimly, keeping her eyes to the ground “I have been up for days trying every single variation of a locate pony spell I can find, but nothing seems to work. Even ones that can locate ponies halfway across Equestria can’t find them, I…” She sighed “I don’t know what to do anymore. Magic can’t solve everything, I know, but I just...feel so useless right now.”

“You’ll figure it out, Twilight. I know you will.” Spike said, entering the room from what must have been a kitchen with a hot cup of coffee. The mare eagerly took it and gulped down half the mug. Pip eagerly agreed with the short dragon.

“Yeah! You’re one of the smartest ponies ever! If you can save Princess Luna’s reputation, you can do anything!” the little colt nearly sang. Twilight looked at the both of them, her eyes a bit brighter thanks to the caffeine.

“Thanks, you guys. I’m sure we’ll figure this out...eventually.” She said but Fancy could sense the undercurrent of dread in her words.

“I heard from Rarity that you and Ms. Applejack are in charge of searching for the three. Have you found anything at all?”

“No, nothing.” She dipped her head “I told Rainbow Dash to gather some local pegasi to search from the skies and Applejack has been leading the ground search parties.”

“Rarity also mentioned a Fluttershy helping in the search due to her knowledge of the Everfree Forest.” Fancy added. Twilight sipped more coffee.

“Yes. After spending the first day combing the outskirts of Ponyville and the surrounding mountains, we turned to the Everfree Forest. We can’t send too many ponies out there though, due to how dense and dangerous the forest is. Fluttershy has been helping them find their way through.”

Fancy looked to Pip, who was doing his best to take notes on everything important “I see. Do ponies go missing in the forest often?”

“Most ponies know to stay away from the forest, so it’s been a long time since anypony other than my friends have gone in there.” She rubbed one of her eyes with a free hoof “Although, Applebloom did go see Zecora sometimes. She’s a zebra friend of ours who has made the Everfree her home.”

“I am assuming she hasn’t seen them either?” Fancy inquired. Twilight shook her head.

“She was the first pony we thought to ask.” Twilight stared into her mug, as if hoping the answer would float to the top of the light brown liquid “The only ponies who saw them that day, Rarity and Applejack, said nothing seemed out of the ordinary with them. They talked about how they had found a new way to get a cutie mark, like usual, and seemingly...fell off the edge of Equestria.”

Fancy opened his mouth to ask another question but a loud knock on the door surprised everypony present and the second they turned to look, the door was pushed open by an orange Earth Pony, donning a stetson on her head with a blonde ponytail over her shoulder. She looked just as worn out as Twilight and had grime and scratches all over her body.

She went to say something but fell to the ground the second she stepped inside.

Twilight was already on her feet and making her way over to her friend with everypony else close behind “Oh Celestia, Applejack! Are you okay? What happened?”

“I’m fine. The search party got jumped by a buncha timber wolves just as we were leavin.” She got out through deep breaths, looking up at her friend “I bought Flutters time to get everypony else back to safety. I’m just a little banged up, that's all.”

As if on cue, a yellow Pegasus pony with a pink mane flew in through the door and gasped, fluttering down to the ground to be next to the injured mare “Applejack! Oh my goodness! We need to get you to a doctor!”

“I don’t need no doctor!” Applejack said incredulously and tried to stand. She faltered and fell back down with a grunt.

“Applejack, you’ve been running yourself ragged the past few days! You need to rest!” Twilight insisted desperately. Applejack shot her a glare.

“I ain’t resting till I find my baby sister, Twilight! I feel like I’m the only one trying here! I’m out there every-,” she coughed, gritting her teeth afterward “-day bustin my butt in that awful forest and nopony else is trying near hard enough!” She yelled, causing Twilight and Fluttershy to recoil. Fancy and Pip stood solemnly nearby, observing the scene.

This bout of rage did not last long, as tears immediately began to fall from the cowpony’s eyes and her face scrunched from effort as she tried to hold back her tears. “...I just miss her so much, Twi. I-I’m so sorry I snapped at you two...”

“I know. You don’t need to apologize, Applejack.” Twilight helped her friend to her hooves along with Fluttershy, who nuzzled the orange pony’s neck. Fancy approached them, hoof on his chest.

“If I may, I’ll volunteer to help take her to the hospital.” Fancy looked down at Pip “Pip, you stay here and research all you can on the Everfree Forest until I come back.”

The suit wearing colt looked surprised but quickly stomped his hoof “Of course, Mr. Fancy. I’ll do my best.”

“No! I said no doctors!” Applejack seethed, barely staying on her hooves “Just...just take me home. I’ll be fine, I promise.”

The adult ponies exchanged a look of uncertainty until Fancy spoke up “In that case, I shall take her home myself so that Ms. Fluttershy may be of use somewhere else.”

Twilight groaned.

“Fine. Fancy, take her to Sweet Apple Acres. I’ll stay here and help Pip. I’m not in much shape to do anything else.” Twilight admitted, turning to the yellow pegasus “Fluttershy, I want you to find the mayor. We need to warn her about the possibility of timber wolves making their way into town in case there are any stragglers.”

“O-Okay Twilight, I’ll do my best.” The pegasus squeaked bravely and took to the sky as soon as her hooves touched grass.

“No time to waste then, I suppose.” Fancy commented and lowered himself slightly “Young Pip? Spike? Would you two care to assist Ms. Applejack?”

“Right!” they said in unison and helped the orange mare onto the older stallion’s back. While Fancy could definitely feel the weight of the brave pony on his spine, his natural strength would prove more than able to get her home. Without another word, he took off into the streets of Ponyville.

As Pip watched his mentor go, he mentally steeled himself as he galloped over to the nearest bookshelf.

-----

The evening sun was getting closer to the horizon and Fancy could feel the air around him get cooler with each passing minute. Despite her state, Applejack was helpful in providing directions and the two were soon on the long dirt path to Sweet Apple Acres, where Fancy slowed to a trot. Along the path, apple trees seemed to stretch for miles on either side of the fence, rolling over hills and dipping into the valleys as far as the eye could see.

The walk was mostly quiet, and as much as Fancy wanted to take the mare to the hospital for her injuries, he knew arguing with her would do nopony any good. Best to let sleeping manticores lie.

“Say, Fancy Pants,” Applejack began, speaking for the first time in several minutes “What brings you all the way down here?”

“Your friend, Ms. Rarity, sent me a letter requesting my presence here.” He replied, feeling as if he would be saying it more and more as time went on. He decided to skip straight to her next question. “I suspect she thinks I can aid in finding the three missing fillies.”

“Really?” Applejack asked, hopeful “Do ya have some kinda advanced locate pony spell or somethin’?”

Fancy looked to the eastern field with a regretful look in his eye “I’m sorry, no. However, I am rather good at solving mysteries. At least, that seems to be the case so far.”

“Oh, so you’re some kinda detective.” She stated rather than asked. The mustached stallion sighed.

“That’s what some like to call me. I’m simply a gentlecolt who enjoys helping ponies, nothing more, nothing less.”

Applejack let out a tired chuckle “Well that’s admirable, no matter what label ya put on it.”

“Indeed it is, Ms. Applejack. Indeed it is.”

“Ms. Applejack?” She let out a laugh that turned into a cough “I ain’t heard that in a long time.”

With a smile, Fancy continued down the path in silence. Soon, he saw a wooden white archway adorned with greenery, red delicious apples and a large wooden sign with an apple on it. Beyond that was a large red barn and house combo with the same apple motif present on its exterior walls and doors. He came to a stop when he felt Applejack tap his side.

“This here’s the place.” the proud mare said as she climbed off, wobbling a bit before she found her footing “Thanks for the ride, partner.”

“No problem at all, Ms. Applejack.” Fancy gave her a concerned look “Please, try to get some rest. I know how worried you are and I understand your eagerness to-.”

“No offense Fancy, but I don’t think ya do.” She replied curtly, turning away from the stallion abruptly, surprising him “I don’t mean to be rude, but the only pony that knows how I’m feelin right now is Rarity. I appreciate the sympathies, truly. But please don’t pretend ya know what’s goin on inside ma head.”

Fancy was stunned into silence but managed to shake it off “Fair enough, Ms. Applejack. Have a wonderful evening.”

“Wait.” She called out, stopping him as he turned around. There was a long pause before she spoke again “Iffin you already saw Rarity, I’m guessin’ you promised to help find em, yeah?”

“Yes, I did.”

A light cool breeze blew through the farm, rusting the nearby corn stalks.

“I need you to make that promise to me now. Promise you’ll do everythin’ in your power to help find my little Applebloom and her friends.” She begged, her voice cracking as she did her best to keep her tears at bay “I need to hear you say it without any of that window dressing you city ponies like to do. Please.”

The wind picked up, rustling Fancy’s blue mane slightly as he closed his eyes. He could feel the weight in his chest get heavier with each breath he took as he pondered his next words.

He opened his eyes.

“I swear I will bring her back to you, Applejack. You have my word.”

The wind calmed.

What felt like an hour went by and the stallion heard the mare take her first steps toward her humble home. She said one last thing before they parted, her voice carried by the chilling winds.

“Check out that path halfway up the trail. You might just find somethin’ that’ll help.”

Fancy gave the back of Applejack’s head a surprised look before he began to make his way up the dusty trail, Luna’s silver light bathing him in its radiance as he organized his thoughts. His strut then turned into a gallop.

Whatever clues awaited him at this new location, he knew he wouldn’t be able to do anything without his trusty apprentice.