• Published 16th Nov 2021
  • 609 Views, 2 Comments

Day and Night Regained Again - Pandorarama



Queen Solaria hopes her student can save the lost sister of the moon.

  • ...
 2
 609

Getting Ready to Leave

Twilight Sparkle hummed to herself as she sifted through her books, mumbling the titles to herself as she decided what she wanted to bring and what she would leave to read later. Spike was bustling behind her, packing the more essential things and finalizing the details for their trip.

He had given her an ‘i told you so’ expression when Queen Solaria’s letter had come through but had accepted her apology gracefully. He was so loyal that he had stayed up with her, and she had felt guilty at the bags under his eyes.
Spike was just a baby dragon after all, and he had cuddled up close to her when she finally turned off the lanterns, quickly finding their way through the dark tower to bed. With Equestria shrouded in darkness for half the weeks of the year, one had to learn how to maneuver in the dark. The SunFlowers were only to be used for food growing, and lanterns only lasted so long.

While packing, they were on now, and the Moonlamps were illuminating the streets as the ponies bustled along.

“Spike, have you seen my ‘Guide to lesser-known Everfree Creatures’? If we’re heading to Ponyville, we should have it on hand.”

“You let Starlight remember? She wanted to compare it to some old recon papers she found.” He tried dragging over one of their packed bags, and she levitated it over to the rest of the pile.

"Well, let's go say goodbye to her while grabbing the book."

He scampered over and hopped onto her back as she trotted down the stairs and out the door, letting the flowers guide her to the library. She nodded to the other passing students but glared at some who stared too long at Spike.

You’d think after ten years, everyone would be used to him, even if he was the only dragon here.

The trip to the library was quick, the doors wide open as many entered and left. She hummed another ditty as the pair passed by some more ponies.

“Hi Starlight!” The unicorn mare lifted her head and smiled, waving a hoof at the pair.

“Sorry this is such short notice, but Queen Solaria is sending to Ponyville for the uh… thingy that coming up.” Starlights Glimmer’s grin grew strained but was no less genuine. Anypony who lived in Canterlot knew Starlight Glimmer’s sad tale. Chosen as a young filly to become Queen Celestia’s newest student, she had been in the firing line when Celestia had turned to Daybreaker. They had been young friends at the time, and she remembered sitting by her friend’s bedside as she healed and watching her mane turn white as they walked the streets of Canterlot. Both her and Sunburst had warded of more than one less than well-meaning pony, and Queen Solaria had backed them up when others complained.

“Anyway, I was looking for the ‘Guide to lesser-known Everfree Creatures’ that I leant you since the Everfree forest is just outside of the town.” Starlight nodded, tilting her head behind the desk and walking off, Twilight following closely. As they moved further away from the crowd and towards Starlight’s office, she let out a sigh as the door closed.

“Just a sec Twi, I have your book here somewhere.” Books and papers flew around the office before settling into neat piles, an old book floating towards her.

“Here you go. I’ll be closing the library for the next few days to cope, so you can borrow any books that you need without signing them out; I trust you.” Warmth pooled in her chest as her younger friend beamed, adjusting her cloak, and carefully organizing her mane back over her scar.

“Perfect, I’ll make sure to write down what I borrowed and send you a check-up letter once I’m settled.” A pause. “Are you sure you don’t want me to stay?

Starlight shook her head, rearranging some of the moonlamps.

“Sunburst is going to check on me after the sun is risen, and I’ll wait for your letter.”

“All right Star. I’ll be on my way, but make sure to let me know how you’re feeling.” It was hard to gauge Starlight’s mood during the Summer Sun Celebration. Some years she was okay, others she needed to be left alone, and some years she couldn’t. She’d been better since she was a filly, but there were still bad years.

“Alrighty, I’ll see you later Star.” Twilight flicked her tail in goodbye, Spike waving as she trotted out of the office and towards where the royal carriage was waiting to take her to Ponyville.


Starlight Glimmer couldn’t help the frown that overtook her face. Of course, none of her friends were stupid, but between everyone preparing for… it, no one had remembered that it had been a thousand years since the banishment of princess Luna, and her spell would be wearing off, and Nightmare Moon would escape.

Queen Solaria was very clearly manipulating it so that Twilight and six other ponies could use the elements and save princess Luna. She wasn’t one hundred percent sure on how she felt about it, as the whole alicorn business had left a bad taste in her mouth.

But Equestria’s queen was weakening, and if Luna could be saved, then the lunar and solar cycles would return to normal. So much of the younger generation had lived like this for their entire lives. They never knew what it was like to have the sun and moon rise and lower each day.

Starlight Glimmer was tired and very scared at this time of year, and she just wanted to nap for a few days but smiled as Sunburst stood at the door as she locked them.

“How are you feeling?”

“Tired Sunburst. Twilights sending me a letter once she gets to Ponyville, and I’ll send word when the libraries open again,
okay?” Sunburst gently nudged against her with a gentle smile, and she gave one back.

She’d be okay.

Author's Note:

I'm not super happy with it, but here it is.