• Published 1st Nov 2021
  • 471 Views, 9 Comments

Special Friend - Princess Starflight



Fluttershy likes Rainbow Dash a lot, but she knows a brave pegasus like Rainbow would never fall for her. But when Rainbow needs her most, will she be there to save the day?

  • ...
3
 9
 471

Heart-to-Heart

Fluttershy had thought being teased was the worst thing that could possibly happen in flight camp. Now she wished that was true. It would’ve been much, much easier than what she was going through now.

She squealed in pain as the medic cleaned her cuts and put Band-Aids on her bruises. “It’s akay, it’ll be all rat,” the medic said in a hillbilly voice.

“It - it - it just h-hurts a l-little,” Fluttershy gasped.

The medic patted Fluttershy on her head. “Don’t warry, it’ll be over in a few minutes,” she said.

As Fluttershy wheezed through her pain, she saw a certain filly drift near the tent. Pink eyes...cyan fur...rainbow mane and tail! Rainbow Dash!

Rainbow happened to get a glimpse of Fluttershy. She stopped dead in her tracks. “What the hay?” she said, walking into the tent.

Suddenly, all of Fluttershy’s pain disappeared. She was floating on a cloud (actually, she technically was) in heaven. Rainbows were shining down from the sky. She felt safe, happy, and full. She even smiled.

The medic glanced at Rainbow Dash. “Oh hey thayer, little filly. Whatcha doin’ here? Thayer’s nothin’ wrong with ya.”

“What is Fluttershy doing here?” Rainbow asked, ignoring the medic. “You okay, Fluttershy?”

“Y-yes,” Fluttershy said as the medic cleaned a cut. She winced.

“What’s wrong with her?” Rainbow asked the medic.

“Just some cuts and bruises, dunno who did it,” she answered.

Rainbow shook her head and looked at Fluttershy. “Who did it, Flutters?” she asked.

“It was...um...Hoops,” Fluttershy answered, squeezing her eyes shut as the medic cleaned the final cut and bandaged up her leg.

Rainbow Dash nearly exploded. Her mouth dropped open, and her face turned so red Fluttershy could’ve sworn she had tomatoes on her cheeks.

“WHAT?!” Rainbow blasted.

“Lower ya volume, will ya?” the medic complained.

Rainbow ignored her. She said, “Hang on, Fluttershy. I’m gonna make Hoops pay for what he did.”

“You don’t have to, Rainbow! It’s okay! There’s no way you’ll be able to do that. Besides, I don’t really want him to get in trouble,” Fluttershy said, even though she did want Hoops to get in trouble. At least, she wanted the adults to know who did this. But she was very worried about Rainbow Dash. What if Hoops hurt her too? Fluttershy could stand getting hurt herself, but she couldn’t bear the thought of Rainbow getting hurt.

Rainbow Dash seemed to read her mind and said, “Don’t worry about me, Flutters. I’m not afraid of him. Besides, he knows not to mess with me.” She used her terrible evil voice to say the last sentence, but Fluttershy was still very worried.

“Are you one hundred percent sure you’ll be okay? Hoops is actually kind of strong. Look what he did to me! And I wasn’t even the one he was mad at. What kind of things could he do to you?” Fluttershy whimpered. Please don’t let her go, please don’t let her go! she prayed.

“Stop worrying, Fluttershy. Why would you worry about me, anyway? I’m one tough girl.” She made a muscle, which normally would’ve made Fluttershy laugh. “But anyway, I better go take care of Hoops. Catch you later, Flutters.” And with that, Rainbow Dash walked out the tent.

Fluttershy sat straight up on her cot and almost banged heads with the medic. “I need to go. Thanks for cleaning my cuts!” she said to her. And then she flew (with her feet, not her wings) out the tent with the medic yelling, “Come back! Ah haven’t told ya what ya can and can’t do-!”

Her voice soon faded away and Fluttershy found herself in a place she didn’t know where was. “Um...is anypony there?” she asked aloud. No answer. Was she lost?

Suddenly, Fluttershy heard a noise. She brushed over some clouds and gasped at what she saw. Hoops and his buddies were talking to Rainbow Dash in very loud voices. Fluttershy could hear what they were saying.

“-never gonna fly fast!” Hoops was saying.

“Oh yeah?” Rainbow said. “What’s on your mind?”

Hoops looked from side to side. He actually looked a little nervous. “Uh...whaddya think, Score? Dumbbell? What should we do?”

“Um...what about a race?” Dumbbell said.

“How about a teasing Klutzershy competition?” Score suggested.

“You’re so dumb, Score! The whole point of this is to defend Fluttershy’s honor,” Rainbow said, rolling her eyes.

“Oh.” Score looked at her dumbly.

“I think I’ll go for a race,” Rainbow said.

“Ha! You’ll never catch up to me,” Hoops said.

“It’s settled, then!” Rainbow said. “Race tomorrow at seven o‘clock sharp!”

“What? That’s so early!” Hoops complained.

“Is it a deal? Or are you too scared to race me?” Rainbow smirked.

Hoops looked back at his friends. Fluttershy knew he would say yes. If he said no, he would look weak in front of his friends. If he said yes…

“Alright, fine!” Hoops finally said. “You’re on!”

“Great. I’ll tell Coach Strike,” Rainbow replied. And she flew away with that adorable smirk on her face, leaving Fluttershy with her thoughts.

Wow. Fluttershy could not believe Rainbow Dash had just done that for her. She really, really liked her. So much, you could even say…

No, Fluttershy thought. I’m a filly! I’m not old enough for that.

Yet Fluttershy certainly enjoyed the thought of Rainbow Dash liking her back. But it was impossible. Rainbow wouldn’t like a weak “earth pegasus” like her. No one would. Fluttershy bowed her head and sighed. A tear rolled down her face the second time that morning.

Suddenly, she heard hoofsteps. She jerked her head up and saw...Rainbow Dash?

“Hey, what’s wrong?” Rainbow asked.

Fluttershy blushed. Why was she always crying and looking weak when she was with Rainbow Dash?! She probably thought Fluttershy was a big baby and was only being nice because she felt bad for her.

“Nothing is wrong,” Fluttershy said firmly. She didn’t want to look like a crybaby in front of this awesome mare!

“Please tell me,” Rainbow said. “What happened? Did I do something?”

Fluttershy sniffed. “No, you didn’t. You only stood up for me. I’m so sorry for being such a baby.”

“Baby?” Rainbow looked startled. “Fluttershy, you’re the bravest pegasus I’ve ever met!”

“What are you talking about?” Fluttershy said.

“You withstood teasing, a beating from Hoops, and more teasing. That’s, like, 20 percent braver than the average pony,” Rainbow replied.

“But you stood up to Hoops and the boys. You challenged them to a race! All because of...well, me,” Fluttershy said glumly. “I know you’re just being nice ‘cause you feel bad for me. It’s okay if you’re tired of me being a crybaby and don’t want to be nice anymore.”

“What the hay?” Rainbow Dash looked angry. “Is that what you’ve been thinking this whole time? That I was standing up for you just because I feel bad for you?!”

“Um, yeah,” Fluttershy said. “Why else?”

“Because I care about you?” Rainbow said in a duh voice.

Fluttershy was shocked. She was astounded. She was bewildered. She was about to ask a million questions. But she couldn’t get a word out. Her brain literally stopped working for a few seconds.

“Are you that thick?! Sure, I feel bad for you, but that’s not the reason I stood up for you. It’s because you need help and you need a friend. I wanted to be the friend you needed,” Rainbow said.

“You want to be...my...friend?” Fluttershy said quietly and slowly.

“Well, yeah,” Rainbow said. She smiled and extended a hoof. “C’mon, get up. And...um, you heard that conversation with Hoops about the race, right?”

“I’m so sorry for eavesdropping. I didn’t mean to, I was just-”

“No problem. It saves me the trouble of having to explain to you.”

Fluttershy smiled. So Rainbow Dash actually wanted to be friends! She felt so jubilant. Best day ever-! Well, kind of.

“Okay. Let’s get back to our flying lessons.”

And together, Fluttershy and Rainbow walked out of the area and towards the main place.