• Published 7th Oct 2021
  • 795 Views, 5 Comments

A Queen's Redemption - IronStories



A year has passed since the hippogriffs have returned to Mount Aris, and Queen Novo tries to get ready for Mount Aris' own Friendship Festival. But her past might put a halt to that.

  • ...
2
 5
 795

Chapter 4: An Apology Fit For a Queen

The Mont Aris Friendship Festival hit a major snag. What was suppose to be a harmless prank went south when Rainbow Dash wore a Storm King Mask to scare Queen Novo, but the Queen ended up freaking out and letting her emotions get the better of her. She ended up leaving the festival in a hurry. Now everygriff was worried that the festival might be canceled, but the ponies were determined to keep it going. While the remaining Mane 6 were making sure that the festival continues as intended, Princess Celestia, Twilight, Spike, and Rainbow Dash accompanied Skystar to find Novo.

"You think she'll like banish me or something?" Dash asked, feeling a little concerned. "Because I don't think I could handle that..."

"Oh don't worry," Skystar chirped, "you would have had to do something really bad to get my mom to banish you! Like stealing the Pearl, messing up her palace, interrupting her during her beauty sleep..."

"Uh, not helping." Spike lamented. Dash was already starting to get nervous. All she did was pull a little prank. She wasn't aware that Novo had traumatic memories towards the Storm King. At first she brushed the whole thing off, but now she was worried that she really upset the Queen to the point that the alliance between Equestria and Mount Aris was truly in jeopardy.

"Any idea on where she might be?" Celestia asked.

"Wait, I think I know where she is!" Skystar soared over to the statue of her father. Celestia, Twilight, and Rainbow quickly followed.


The fog was extremely thick and the atmosphere was cold and dreary. Out from the depths sprang Queen Novo, leaping with such grace and landing perfectly on her feet, having reverted to her hippogriff form. She shook the seawater off her feathery coat and surveyed the ruins of her old home. She was taking a calculated risk being up here. After banishing the Mane 6 for trying to steal the Pearl, Skystar became extremely upset and disappeared, possibly to look for her new friends. Novo, feeling immediate regret and guilt, went on a desperate search for her daughter. She looked at a puddle of water and saw her reflection. This was a form she hadn't seen herself as in years. Accompanying her was General Seaspray and members of the Royal Hippogriff Navy. The search was getting desperate.

"This is not how I wanted my first trip back home to be like..." The Queen lamented, observing the natural decay and ruins of the once bustling mountain. "Any sign of Skystar, General?"

"Not yet." Seaspray said. "We've looked everywhere for her. Do you think she's even here, my Queen?"

"I'm not even sure anymore." Novo sighed. "But if she did run off, this would have been the place she'd go." She began to feel uncomfortable and extremely weary. The Storm King or one of his many airships could be patrolling the area. They continued their search across the ruins for any hint of Skystar. They first checked the palace, which was overtaken by rubble from the invasion. The Princess wasn't there, so they searched the beach. They found nothing. Every other place Novo remembered taking Skystar when she was younger, there was no sigh of her at all.

The hippogriffs were about ready to call it quits when an uneasy tension was felt in the air. Novo saw a large shadow approaching in the sky. The shape was hard to make out, and she was expecting the worst. "Defensive positions, everygriff!" she ordered. "Make haste!" Seaspray directed the guards to get their weapons at the ready. As the figure moved closer, it was revealed to be none other than Captain Skybeak. The guards lowered the weapons and the hippogriff captain tried to catch his breath.

"Captain Skybeak!" The general said. "What have you to report?"

"I was scouting around the surrounding land near Mount Aris, General." The captain said, still trying to catch this breath. He then turned to Novo. "Your majesty, I believe we may have found the Princess's whereabouts."

"You know where my baby is?!" Novo exclaimed. "Show me! She has some serious explaining to do!"

Skybeak lead the Queen and the guards to the area where he was talking about, a short distance from Mount Aris. They landed at the spot, where Novo was desperately looking for her daughter."

"Look over here." Seaspray said. There was a trackway of hoofprints made by ponies, as well as a few other creatures. But then they noticed distinct hippogriff prints as well. "The Princess was definitely here."

"So, she did run off with those outsiders..." Novo lamented. "Where is their heading?"

"Judging by the direction they took," Skybeak added, "it appears they are headed due northwest."

"Equestria..." Novo wasn't sure what was going on, but if the story that the ponies told was true, they were heading back to Equestria to stop the invasion of the Storm King there. "What did you get yourself into, Sky?"


The Queen was still near the statue, feeling helpless over her actions. She meant no harm, but actions to speak louder than words. She didn't want to be seen, let alone like this. She worried that she still left a bad impression on the Mane 6, and that this could mean the end of Mont Aris' relation with Equestria. In times where she was stressed or felt helpless, Waverider was always by her side. Maybe this is why she stayed near the statue.

"Mom! There you are!" Skystar and the others landed. They were grateful to have found Novo.

"Novo, you left in quite a hurry." Celestia said, trying to comfort her friend. "Are you okay?"

"I didn't mean to freak out like that.." Novo told them softly. "I'm sorry about what happened. Ever since that day, I've had a hard time moving on from those awful memories. As much as I want to forget them, I can't. Any reminder of that day just sends me into a panic. I hope you all understand that I did not mean any ill-will. And if it's alright with you, I would like to get the festival back up as intended."

"You did nothing wrong, Queen Novo." Twilight said.

"Well, except that you knocked Rainbow Dash out of the air." Spike added. "Actually, that was pretty funny!"

"Spike!" Twilight told the young dragon. She then turned to Novo "Speaking of Rainbow Dash, I believe she has something important to say to you."

Twilight then pushed Dash near Novo. The blue Pegasus was extremely nervous, probably more than ever. She was sweating and struggling to say anything. The Queen was looking particularly perplexed.

"Well?" Novo asked? "What did you want to say? I'm all ears, honey."

Dash continued to sweat. All eyes were on her. Finally, she caved in.

"Ooooh, I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry! I didn't mean to upset you like that! If you would have told me such a thing in the first place, I wouldn't have done it! Please forgive me! I don't want the relationship between Equestria and Mount Aris to be ruined all because of me! Can you please find it in your heart to forgive me?"

Novo finally stepped forward to Rainbow Dash. Everypony was completely silent. They were hoping Novo would accept Dash's apology, but they were fearing the absolute worst.

"Rainbow Dash," The Queen spoke sternly," what you did today really affected me. My emotional state hasn't been the same since Mount Aris was invaded all those years ago. I do not like being reminded of my past." She raised her talon, pointing it at Dash. "I hope you learn your lesson today. Your actions will not go unnoticed by me. All I have to say is..."

The ponies and Skystar were growing extremely anxious. Rainbow closed her eyes, not being able to bear the wrath of an angry Queen.

"Gotcha!" Novo booped Rainbow on her nose. Everypony was confused.

"Wait, what?!" Rainbow was a bit flustered. "Did you accept my apology?"

"Of course, honey!" Novo chuckled. "I am glad you finally told me you were sorry. "But I'll have you know I have a sense of humor myself. I use to pull some classic pranks with Celie during my youth."

Dash was still confused, but she was grateful that the Queen at least accepted her apology. She began to laugh at Novo's prank. Soon everypony was laughing along too.

"Glad to have you back, Novo!" Celestia cheered.

"I'm so happy that you're feeling better, Mom!" Skystar added, giving her mother a big hug. "I was worried about you."

"Thank you all." Novo said. "Sorry for the commotion earlier. I guess Mount Aris wasn't the only thing that needed fixing. So what are we waiting for? We got a festival to attend!"

Everypony was glad that Novo was feeling better. They all took off and headed back to the festival. Novo in particular was determined to not let anything ruin her time there, and that the festival gets back on track.