• Published 28th Aug 2021
  • 472 Views, 13 Comments

Guardians of Harmony: Friendship is Magic - Admiral Producer



Thousands of years ago, Princess Celestia’s younger sister was locked away in the Moon after her turn to darkness. Now, the Mare in the Moon is returning and only six little ponies can stop her….

  • ...
1
 13
 472

Chapter 4: The Sparkle Family/Saying Goodbye

The moon was shining brightly in the sky, illuminating the buildings of Canterlot as Twilight and Spike arrived in their hot air balloon towards a smaller house in the outskirts of the city.

Twilight knew this place. This was the home of her parents. She and Spike had decided to say goodbye to them before they left for Ponyville as they hadn’t visited them in quite a long time.

Twilight’s heart felt heavy. She felt like she was saying farewell to her family, when she really wasn’t. With the longest day of the thousandth year coming up and Nightmare Moon’s return imminent, it only seemed fair that she visit her family one last time just in case she died on that day.

Stepping out of the balloon, Twilight walked towards the house that she had grown up in for many years and knocked on the door.

“Mom? Dad? Shining?” Twilight asked softly.

At first, there was silence. Then the wooden door slammed open to reveal a very ecstatic Shining Armor who jumped up and scooped up the helpless unicorn, hugging her tight like there was no more time left. He was soon joined in by Twilight Velvet and Night Light, both parents respectfully.

When they were done, Twilight had to catch her breath. She had to admit that she hadn’t expected such a surprise.

“Come inside, sweetie! We have a lot to catch up on!” Twilight Velvet encouraged her.

Twilight went inside with Spike, closing the door behind her. All at once, she was overwhelmed by all the childhood memories of the house. It filled her with a sense of warmth unlike anything she had ever felt in a long time.

“Everything is exactly the way I left it…” Twilight realized.

“We knew you’d come back to visit sometime,” explained Night Light, “So I insisted that everything be exactly the way you left it. Your brother came up with the surprise welcome though.”

Twilight gaped at the tall white stallion, who was grinning smugly, “Only the best welcome home surprises for my little sister.”

Twilight smiled. She was home.

“You ready to play an honorary competition for the Sibling Supreme crown?” Twilight Velvet asked her, “I could have you two square off at dinner as to who can eat the fastest.”

“Do it, Twilight!” Spike encouraged her.

Twilight nodded. “Why not? I have plenty of time.”

And so, the Sparkle family spent time together all throughout the evening, getting caught up on each other’s lives. Twilight told her parents about her recent studies under Celestia and Shining Armor told her about how he recently got a Medal of Valor for his military service in Griffonstone.

In the end, Shining Armor won the Sibling Supreme crown just based on that fact alone, even though Twilight won the eating contest. While Twilight was disappointed, she was happy for her brother.

Finally, it was time to go to bed and Twilight had to tell her parents why she couldn’t stay longer after the night.

“Princess Celestia assigned me to go to Ponyville in order to oversee preparations for the Summer Sun Celebration,” Twilight explained, “Though I know her real motive for doing so. She basically stated as much.”

“What is it, sweetheart?” Twilight Velvet asked her daughter.

“She wants me to go to Ponyville to make friends…” Twilight answered glumly.

“But that’s great, Twily!” Shining Armor told her, “Princess Celestia was always worried that your pursuit of academia was preventing you from making real connections outside of your books. Making friends is part of learning.”

“But I don’t want to make friends!” Twilight protested, “It’s a waste of time, and the Princess should be more concerned about her deranged foe coming back from the Moon after all these years for revenge!! Hay, I’m concerned about it! Why is it that I am and she’s not?! Doesn’t…doesn’t she care about what’s going to happen to Equestria?”

“Of course she cares,” Night Light said, “I’m sure that she’s just as worried about that prophecy as you are. She just wants what’s best for you. After all, you’re the closest pony she’s had to a daughter in so many years. She’s just looking out for you.”

“I…I don’t want to do this though…” Twilight never felt more frightened about going to an unknown town than she did now, especially if it was to do something she had never done before. It terrified her more than she let her family know.

“I know,” Twilight Velvet said, “But it’s only temporary. After the Celebration, if you still feel uncomfortable about this, tell the Princess. She’ll understand. If not, we will.”

“Thanks,” Twilight thanked her parents, grateful that they had her back. “I promise I will come back. And I’ll get that crown back from you, BBBFF.”

Shining Armor grinned once more, winking playfully at his little sister. “Oh we shall see about that, Twily. We’ll see about that.”

Twilight then embraced all of her family members in a big warm hug, one that she felt in her gut would be the last hug she would ever give them.


The next day, Twilight and Spike departed on their balloon from the Sparkle family home for Ponyville, Shining Armor waving goodbye to them from the ground. Spike lit the fire in the balloon and it carried them off.

Twilight was unsure what to expect from Ponyville, but she was going to do her part for the festivities like the obedient, diligent student she was. She would worry about the friendship aspect after the celebration, when she had a chance to talk with Celestia again.

But deep down, she knew that somehow, things would not go the way she planned they would go.

After all, they never did.