• Published 9th Aug 2021
  • 150 Views, 0 Comments

This Band Could Be Your Life - sweetash



Rainbow Dash meets a young woman who further interests her world into the world of music.

  • ...
 0
 150

You're Invited For a Time

The school day is over and now everyone, including the unassuming Eve, is in the music room. Eve sits, along with Twilight, waiting curiously, patient for the “awesomeness” that Rainbow had promised.

Rainbow was uncharastically nervous. They hadn’t practiced any of the new songs she’s written. Her new songs Rainbow is confident in. The stuff she wrote in the past… she was a bit insecure about.

In hindsight, it seemed a little cheesy. Not exactly what she would think of cool; more importantly, not what Eve would think is probably cool.

Rainbow knew the other songs she’s come up with were good enough, but the rest of the Rainboom literally have know idea what these songs are. Even if she tried to improvise, with the faster tempo and tighter rhythm, she doubts even the most proficient musicians could get it right on the first try.

However, Rainbow knows a song that’s upbeat and catchy, but most importantly one that everyone knows: Awesome As I Want to Be. One she would personally call a classic and one she knows that can win over Eve.

There they are in the music room; everyone is in position. Rainbow has given word to everybody else about the song that is about to be performed.

Strings are adjusted, snares are tightened, everything is ready to go.

Eve is looking at the band incredulously.

“1… 2… 1, 2, 3, 4!”

A quick guitar riff starts out with a series of ‘hey’ from the rest of the band, as Rainbow belts “as awesome as I wanna be!”

The riff repeats itself several times before this actual chorus.

Eve gets the idea that Rainbow is full of herself but she can’t help herself to respect the woman that puts it all out there. Someone who is singing about how awesome they are.

Rainbow unleashes into a guitar solo as she bashes about being 20 percent color: whatever that means.

The band comes to a close as Rainbow looks at Eve with deep heavy breaths, obviously giving it her all. She still keeps her gaze on Eve who looks mostly unfazed.

Eve stands from her seat and gives a slow but steady clap. “Not bad Rainbooms. A bit cheesy for my taste, is there anything else?”

Applejack took a few steps forward. “Ah’ve y’know ‘is written by our own Rainbow Dash,” Applejack said proudly.

However, Rainbow Dash shrunk secretly in her own corner.

Eve stands up and weirdly adjusts her jaded belt. “It’s not the worst thing in the world. It can be a lot more corny,” she critiques. “But, there is a lot of energy and, may I say, potential?”

Rainbow nearly squealed.

The rest of the Rainbooms didn’t seem quite convinced.

“I’ll have you know we worked really hard on perfecting our musicianship,” Rarity said, clearly offended. “And I don’t know what makes this….corny?”

Eve sighed. “I’m not saying you guys suck. I’m just saying...well, like you can play something real.”

Before Rainbow could say anything about her new material, Applejack said with a bit of annoyance, “Real? What’cha mean real?”

Rainbow quickly intervened, stepping towards Eve. “Hey, we actually have other stuff we haven’t practiced yet. Stuff I think you’d dig.”

Eve mulled this over.

The Rainbooms were indifferent but Rainbow was in suspense. All Rainbow needed was maybe a week of practice, then she could show Eve how awesome they really are.

“You seem like cool people,” Eve said. Only Rainbow and Pinkie accepted the compliment; the others detested the backhanded compliment. “I’ll tell you what,” she continued saying while standing up from her chair. “There’s this gig tonight, at the Mohawk. Really cool band. I think you guys should go. Might open your eyes a little. At least to what I’m trying to get at.”

Eve headed for the door then stopped before she could exit. She looked back at Rainbow. “Hope to see you there.” With that, she went through the door.

“Ugh, what a shrew,” Rarity said. “And who told her all those piercings had a good look.”

“I agree with Rarity. I’m not sure what to make of this Eve,” Sunset added.

“She was a bit… critical,” Fluttershy said, putting aside her tambourine. “And a little mean.”

“Mean? She’s just being honest,” Rainbow said, setting her guitar away. “We kinda do need to change. That’s why I’ve come up with this stuff. I think it can turn Eve around.”

Applejack huffed. “ And why do ya all of sudden care what this ‘Eve’ thinks anyhow? You barely know her,” she said.

“Look, I think it’d be beneficial for us to see a real band with real people. It can also be a lot of fun.”

The rest of the Rainbooms looked unconvinced.

“I think it can be fun!” Pinkie exclaimed. “Seeing a band boogying off the people. We haven’t done anything like that before. It can be a lot of fun!”

“That’s the spirit, Pinkie,” Rainbow said.

“I don’t know. I’ve never even heard of The Mohawk. Is it in a safe neighborhood?” Twilight asked.

“It’s downtown, right next to that barbeque place and across from that weird museum,” Pinkie said. The others, including Rainbow, looked at her incredulously. “My sister Limestone Pie goes there all the time! Apparently, it’s one of the coolest spots in town!” she said excitedly. “And now I get to go there! Yipee!”

“I guess I am being a little hypocritical, considering my past. Maybe there is something we are missing,” Sunset said. “I used to be a literal she-demon. This Eve girl can’t be that bad. We can't judge a book by it’s cover. And who knows, we might have a good time.”

“I guess, you’re right darling. Maybe we should give this Eve a chance. Even though I'm certain going to the Mohawk is not an ideal situation, I am willing to give this a chance.”

“I’m still scared,” Fluttershy said meekly.

Rainbow went up to Fluttershy, giving her an assuring hand on her shoulder. “Don’t worry Flutters, it’ll all be fine. If anything happens then we can always settle it ourselves, which I doubt will happen, heh,” Rainbow said.

Applejack stepped towards Rainbow. “Ah dunno. Ah’m still not sure, Rainbow.

“C’mon, when have we ever done anything ‘outside’ the rules? When have we ever rebelled against anything?” Rainbow said.

“We never really have to. Everything has been, so far, been for us,” Twilight said.

“You’re missing the point. Ugh,” Rainbow said, slightly frustrated. “Can you guys just do me a favor. A personal favor. I really wanna go to this gig. Not only do I not want to go alone but I want you guys to experience this with me. I think it can be really rad.”

Applejack blushed, rubbing the back of her neck. “Shucks, well for you Rainbow, I guess why not. Might get a kick out of it.”

“Yes! Rarity?” Rainbow said, turning her attention to the fashionista.

“I suppose I can show off my latest dress at this, ahem, ‘Mohawk’,” Rarity replied.

“Fluttershy?”

“If everyone else is going… I’d hate to let everyone else down….”

Rainbow then felt a bit guilty, knowing how sensitive Fluttershy can be. “Actually, Flutters… it’s okay if you’re not a hundred percent comfortable about going. I get it, it might be a bit rough and I’d hate to get you in trouble with your parents and all.”

Fluttershy grinned at Rainbow, understanding that her oldest friend knows her very well. “I appreciate the concern, Rainbow, but I’ll be there for friends, especially one that has been around since childhood.”

“Alright!” Rainbow exclaimed excitedly, with fist bump in the air. “So, Pinkie, where did you say this place was?”