• Published 12th Aug 2021
  • 169 Views, 0 Comments

Calling Card - TheGathering

  • ...
 0
 169

Expedition Group I - Preparing

Author's Note:

Since our formidable protagonists are going to be in two groups for most of the arc, starting from the 2nd Chapter after this for most of the rest of the Arc, this chapter will solely focus on Cato's group as it prepares to undertake its expedition underneath the school. Would like to see you guys comment on anything you find interesting through these books. After all, I do like feedback sometimes. Also, this is still in Cato's perspective for parts of this chapter, but it'll be switching back and forth between his POV and Third Person POV.

Later on that day, I talked to Principal Celestia and Vice Principal Luna and told them all about my strange nightmare and sinister audio recording received on my computer. I also told them about how I believed I could find some answers if I was allowed to search into the old school building underneath the school, and my gut check on how bad I believed things could possibly get if I wasn't allowed to do this. They had their concerns, rightfully, but they relented to the expedition. Permission granted, I could now tell the guys after school that day that the mission was a go, and we could start preparing.

Needless to say, some of the boys had an earful from their parents about the expedition idea. But, having heard first hand from other children the selfless and brave actions of their own children in the face of an unbelievable situation, the parents relented. Cato's family, especially, was keenly well aware of the potential for disaster should their son not be able to go on this mission to find answers for himself. They themselves had some of the magical outbursts at Canterlot High from a distance and from Cato's own words, knew that Equestrian Magic in the wrong hands could be devastatingly powerful.

"You got this, son. Go get some answers and make me proud" Cato's father would say before the expedition to the old building underneath Canterlot High would start.

"Thanks, Dad. I know I will" Cato responded.

Before the expedition began, I studied maps of the layout of the old school building, familiarizing myself with the layout. I was sure the others probably were doing the same. It had been years since the old building had mysteriously sunk into the ground during the summer one day 25 years ago. It would be crucial to know where everything was so that we wouldn't become lost once we were down there. It was a quest for answers, but even the most careful planning has to be made in order to be able to get those answers. My father had taught me this over the course of my life so far, and now, I was seeing the wisdom of his words. I mean, sure, entering an old school building while your other friends are dancing at a formal was probably a stupid thing to do when you're dating two beautiful girls. But then again, whoever said that didn't know that in this situation, he would have to factor in magic from another fucking world to explain my decision.

Marvel received an earful from Finch when he said he couldn't go to the Winter Formal with her. She calmed down, though, as he told her the story of my nightmare and audio recording and of my quest for answers. That call happened on Friday Night, and he would tell me on Saturday that he heard her say this.

"Jesus fucking christ, seems like Equestrian Magic can't give us a god damn break."

Like Noah, that statement was prophetic, to an absurd and tragically true degree. Urchin, meanwhile, had a less earful of a call with Adagio. She was miffed, he told me on Sunday, but she understood. After all that they had been through, she understood that Urchin was not one to sit idly by and let something destroy the love that connected the two of them. To be honest, I wish I didn't have to deal with this shit and could go with Clove and Jackie to the Winter Formal, but life had decided otherwise and I wasn't going to try to let my fate get worse, whatever it may be in the future in the aftermath of this expedition. I was going to see it through to the end, to make sure that no matter what happens, I could have a fate decided on my own terms. That meant getting answers, and that meant going down into the building underneath Canterlot High. Somewhere outside of Canterlot High and the city, there was a storm of trouble brewing, and I was racing against time to find a way to ride it out.