• Published 29th Jul 2021
  • 1,524 Views, 69 Comments

To Equestria And Beyond (Rewrite In Progress) - NightFurySpeedey8156

  • ...
21
 69
 1,524

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 49: Sick With a Babysitter

Canterlot is a fairly tranquil city, many of its residents having nothing else but the usual day to day business to run through such as shopping, work, school or other things. Not many things can shake up the daily routine of the Capital of Equestria. That is…

AAAACHO!!!

Until a certain black feline woke up in a bad way.

The city was rocked with a thunderous blast, the ground shaking and a brief flash of red lightning shooting out from one of Canterlot Castle's towers. The guards and other inhabitants on the inside of the grand structure fared no better, the blast being intensified by the proximity.

That morning, The Royal Sisters, their mother and Cadence were woken up by the titanic shockwave inside the walls. Though such a blast would mainly mean a monster attack to most, the wisdom of the four alicorns allowed them to slow the jump to conclusions that normal ponies would do and think reasonably about what was going on.

The four alicorns met in the hallway near the commotion and began to wonder what the deal was.

“Could it be that Fury was practicing some special lightning technique?” Cadence asked.

“If so, it must be a rather unique attack if it involved him sneezing at a supersonic level of volume.” Luna said, her fellow alicorns agreeing.

“Whatever that was, we need to get it under control before he sends this castle flying.” Lauren suggested. They all agreed and proceeded to make their way to the room he was staying in. Nodding to the confused and disorganized guards, they opened the door to see the room charred to near pitch black, residual energy zapping through the walls.

At the center of the room, a somehow pristine bed still stood unscathed with a lump under the covers sniffling and wheezing. The princesses were confused.

Cadence at first, thought it was a joke and decided to show some sass. “Alright sparky, what's the big idea? Got something funny to tell us?”

“Oh shut up, puffball. Like you have any right to complain with your snuffy attitude.” A weak voice returned, sounding nasally.

This instantly got Luna concerned as she approached the bed to reveal the true reason behind this cacophony of noise.

“Lightning bug? Are you alright, my dear? I thought you were just training. But judging by your voice…” Luna pulled back the covers and everyone in the room gasped. Under the covers was not a normal Night Fury, but one with a red nose, bloodshot eyes, matted fur and movements more reminiscent of a woozy slug than himself.

“By the gods, are you alright!? You look terrible!” Luna asked in a concerned voice. Fury grunted and heaved his body up to be at a decent sitting position, but even then he looked like he was close to passing out.

“Ugh, I feel like I just got wounded in battle except without the blood.” Fury wheezed, not even pretending to hide his distress.

“Water! I need water!” Fury said.

“Here, drink some of this.” Celestia said, getting a glass of water for him.

“Thanks, but I doubt just this'll fix me. And besides, with that blast, she'll be storming through in 3… 2… 1…”

I heard my boy sneeze! Where's my precious baby!?” a loud voice said, bursting into his room.

“Yep. Got that one right.” Fury said.

“Hold on. Hold on, Icey.” Obsidian said, also entering the room. “I'm sure Fury's not too ill.”

“I wouldn't be so sure, pops.” Fury coughed, his mucus filled lungs sounding like he inhaled a barrel of sludge.

“Oh, my poor baby. Don't worry sweetie, momma's here.” Black Ice said quietly. But she wasn't the only one to come running to his aid as a clatter of hoofsteps were running towards his room. In no time at all, Fury's friends from Ponyville were right there in front of him with worry and concern on their faces.

“Oh darling, you look positively dreadful!” Rarity spoke, understandably keeping her distance from the sick feline.

“Oh my, poor you!” Fluttershy squeaked, patting his back.

“You look so sad!” Pinkie said. “Don’t worry we’ll help you cheer up! You won’t feel so down and helpless and sick and-”

“Girls!” Applejack said. “Give the poor guy some time to breathe.” Then she turned to Fury. “Sorry, sugarcube, we're all just worried for you.”

“Yeah, we all heard the blast in town and saw the lightning so we came running!” Rainbow said.

“No need, AJ. At this point, I need all the help and support I ca… hah… haaaah…”

“Here it comes! Brace yourselves!” Twilight said.

HA CHOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

Another deafening sound was heard. It always seemed a little louder every moment it started again.

“Good thing, Twilight has that force field spell. Or we'd have been slammed right up the wall!” Rainbow said. “Yeesh, your sneezes are something else.”

“Can't help it, it's genetic.” Fury sniffled. “They're called ‘Outbursts’. Whenever Speed Shifters get sick, our core energy is thrown for a loop and we can't suppress it for… obvious reasons. And whenever we sneeze, our core energy overloads and blasts out of us to keep our bodies from getting fried inside-out. Basically it's the same as when alicorns get sick. In fact, we have small sick rooms made of harder, more expensive stone just to prevent damage to the walls in the normal rooms.”

“Fury's right. Spike has had to… help me diagnose myself once or twice when I got sick after getting my wings. Turns out, alicorns have these random blasts of magic as well, our bodies' weaker state leaving us victims of the now unsuppressed mana inside of us. The library never had so many holes in it after that week with the flu.” Twilight shuddered.

“And to think I sometimes had dreams of being an alicorn as a filly.” Rarity said. “Well, I can see that comes with some… burdens.”

“And so does being the All Powerful Speed Shifter. Usually, the blasts are tamer for the average Shifter, barely any true damage being done. But now that my destiny has been revealed and my powers are increasing…”

“You've basically got double the blast power.” Cadence finished.

“Bingo. Achoo!” Fury sneezed, causing everyone to flinch. But nothing happened. “Ugh, thankfully, the blasts are at random. So it won't constantly sound like I brought a thunderstorm in here.”

“Here honey, I brought some tissues for you.” Black Ice said, reaching into a bag and giving him a box of them.

“Thanks, mom.” Fury said before grabbing one, breathing with his mouth and blowing out. It was another loud noise, with some mucus being forced out of his nose.

“It’s no surprise that my parents and Luna showed up, but why the rest of you? I'm sure me being sick isn't that big of a deal to pull you guys away from more important things. Besides I look gross, I sound gross and most importantly, I've got gross things coming out of me. Why bother when you all probably have better things to do?”

“It can wait.” Twilight said. “We were busy doing research for our next quest when we heard that loud sneeze. I knew that couldn't be good. Especially with my origins. We all understood you probably needed all the help you could get. After all, friends look out for one another.”

Fury smiled about this. “I guess you really are symbols of friendship. Especially you, Twilight if it could take you away from research. I never thought it was possible, honestly!” He chuckled as much as sick self could do.

“Oh ha ha, very funny. As if Spike didn’t tell those jokes enough.” Twilight grumbled.

“But that's not all we saw. I happened to take notice of a strange figure heading towards the castle on the way here.” Rarity recalled. “She was a bright yellow with black stripes, a figure a mare could die for and a set of bumblebee styled saddlebags. Clearly, she has a thing for bees.”

“Black and yellow?” Fury wondered aloud. “Tell me, was she a little plump? Generous hips and a strong chest?”

“Why yes, she was. She also had paws like you.” The fashion designer said. Fury's eyes widened a bit before he smiled.

“Oh I know who that is. Twilight, I think Cadence is about to have some competition for best babysitter.”

“Huh? Why would you say that?” Just then, a knock could be heard from the doorframe and a yellow Speed Shifter poked her head in.

“Hey there! Mind telling me where Night Fury is? I've heard an awful loud outburst, let me tell you!”

“Right here, Queenie.” Fury said in a weak voice. “Twilight, girls, I'd like you to meet Queen Bee. Thunder Hollow’s best beekeeper and my old babysitter.”

“Hello, everypony and your highness.” She said bowing to Twilight.

“Don't worry, we're friends. You don't have to do that. Just call me Twilight.”

“Good. I like your attitude. Fury seems to have made the right friends” Queen Bee said, looking over to her old charge. “Hey there, fuzzball. How ya feelin’?”

“Well, my lungs feel like I inhaled a bucket of slime, my head feels like I dove straight onto a rock, my nose is basically non-existent and my stomach… Well, the only bad thing about that is I've kinda lost my appetite.”

“Now isn't that a horrible tragedy? You don't feel like eating like a manticore.” Queen Bee said jokingly. “Look, don't worry about this. I’ve dealt with a bunch of these illnesses from you and others. I’m sure this will go just fine.”

“I wouldn't be so sure, Bee. I mean, did mom and dad tell you about it yet?” Fury asked.

Queen Bee looked confused. “It? What's it?”

Fury sighed as he laid down and pointed to his back.

“It's a scar? Looks like lightning. Though I'm not sure what that has to do with-” Queen Bee stopped. “Wait.”

The former babysitter gasped. “Wait, is that the Mark of Linatu Sinasi, the Lightning Strike?!”

Fury nodded along with his parents.

“By the emperor's great fangs, does that mean you, Fury, is actually… an All Powerful?!”

“Ding ding ding, we have a winner! You get a paid vacation to Buttville!” Fury joked, making a raspberry to add to the potty humor. This put her and everyone else into a laughing fit.

“You know, of all the predictions for what an All Powerful would be, I don't think I was expecting someone who loves pranks, eating and jokes.” Queen Bee said.

“Ah you wanted some deep and serious grumpy guy with no humor and says weird poetic lines?” He said in a deep but still nasally voice.

“No. Because then I wouldn't be so attached to you.” Queen Bee said sweetly. “But let's get to the real issue. You're sick, and you'll need some TLC from us to help you get better.”

“And what kind of care would that be if I may ask?” Celestia asked though she had a feeling what she was referring to.

“Nothing too different from a common cold. Warm food, blankets, the occasional check-in to see if he's okay… But I do this a bit differently. I've taken care of him when he was sick before. And we had a little… routine we did. You know what that means, fuzzball?”

Fury gasped as he realized the situation. “A Sick Day Fun Day!”

“Sick Day Fun Day?” Twilight parroted, sounding confused.

“When I got sick and mom and dad were gone, Queenie and I would have what we called a ‘Sick Day Fun Day’. We'd play games, tell stories, eat snacks, watch old movies on the salvaged VHS player my dad found. Bee basically made being sick a fun thing! Achoo!” Fury clarified.

“Yep! And we're going to do it all over again. Of course since you're older, you're ready for my more advanced sessions.” Bee said excitedly.

“The moment you said the word ‘Party’, my heart was ready! I am ready for some kookie fun!” Pinkie said, jumping in anticipation.

“We’ll all stick with you until you're better, sweetie. You'll be just fine in no time!” Black Ice encouraged.

Fury chuckled. “Well I guess sickness really does help!”

“Okay, let's get to it! First, we need to get out of this cramped space. It may be luxurious, but nothing good can be accomplished here. Princess Celestia, does there happen to be a large living area in the castle?”

Celestia nodded. “Of course. I've had my own sick days. Yes, even I, the great Celestia, can get sick. And I built a sort of concert area where activities can happen for me or Luna when we're sick. And so it's your turn to feel the delights of this area.”

“Great! C'mon Fury, let's go.” Queen Bee said. Fury moved sluggishly from under the warmth of the bed covers and stepped down into the floor. But like most when they're sick, he was unstable. Trying to wobble his way over, he missed a step and tripped. Luckily, Rainbow Dash acted quick and prevented the sick feline from going face first.

“Gotcha!” Rainbow said, using her strength to carry the limp Fury.

“Thanks for the save, RD. I've basically got the coordination of a sniffling snot zombie. Bleh!”

“No problem!” Rainbow said, walking with him leaning on her. “I've had to carry a few of my Reservist buddies out of the bar when they got drunk so believe me, I do have prior experience.”

“Glad to hear it. Unlike a certain fashionista. Seriously Rares, you could pack a bit of muscle on those icicle legs of yours.” Fury said as he tried to steady himself back up with Rainbow chuckling in agreement.

“Well for your information, darlings, I actually do have a bit more strength than you might expect. I just wait for the right time to use it.” Rarity, said defending herself.

“Right, and the six empty tubs of extra sweet Strawberry Sorbet that I smelled while walking past your place were just for decoration.”

“Well um- what can I say? It’s very delicious! You can’t blame me for indulging in something so fine. Besides I have a lot of sides to me you don't know about. Assumptions, I swear.” She grumbled.

“Rarity, Sweetie Belle has more muscle mass than you do. And she's a filly! Honestly, you might as well be as plump as I am.”

Rarity was already ticked off. “Only because I'm a businessmare nowadays! When I was a filly, I had to work ten times as hard as Sweetie Belle or any other foal to make money and find jewels for my sewing career! I've reaped my hard earned rewards. I deserve rest for my hard efforts!” Rarity said, boasting again of her rags to riches story.

At this point, Fury was just laughing. Even through his jacked up lungs. “Oh man, I just love messing with you guys. All of you have different reactions and it's just perfect! Hoo, what a crowd.”

Twilight rolled her eyes. “Well, while you two were messing around, we finally made it to our destination. And I must say, it looks truly great.”

Fury eventually turned the corner and was surprised to see everything a sick creature could need. Free tissues, a pitcher of water, snacks, cushions and a VHS player to watch tapes on.

“Wow. Now, this is spectacular! I can't believe I was spending my time in my villa when I could have sneaked my way in here! Oops.” Fury slapped a paw over his face after admitting to his dastardly deeds.

Fury looked out the window trying to hide his guilty yet mischievous face.

“Lightning Bug, you're something else.” Luna said.

“Well, on the bright side, I can't sneak around in my current state. And I'm the guest of honor anyway so I can enjoy this place with no disturbances.” Fury said. “Oh I'm gonna enjoy this place.”

Just before everyone got to sitting down, a familiar face popped in.

“Your highnesses, I've been looking all over for you!” Raven said, walking in and getting a full view of the large group. “Um… have I missed a scheduled meeting?”

“Not at all, Raven. For we are here to not speak politics, but to care for a poor soul.” Celestia spoke, prompting Fury to turn around and reveal his condition.

“Hey Raven. I seem to be in a bad state today.” Fury said, grabbing a tissue and blowing his nose.

“My goodness! I’m so sorry for your illness. I hope you can get better and that I can be of good assistance to you.” Raven said respectfully.

“Much appreciated. I'll call for you if needed. But for now, let's get comfortable with these cushions, I need to rest my weary legs.” Fury wheezed as Raven took her leave. The large group gathered in a circle. Lauren, Celestia, Luna, Cadence and Twilight grouped with each other in one quarter. The rest of the Mane Six squeezed in in the second, leaving the sick Fury, his parents and Queen Bee to take up the last of the circle.

“Feeling comfortable, kid?” Bee asked Fury who had settled into his cushion.

“Yeah. I think so. Ah,” He said, relaxing on the couch. It was quite comfortable. It almost made him forget his sore throat.

“Oh yeah, there we go. Nice and comfy.” He sighed, assuming an adorable loaf position.

“Eeeee, he looks like a true house cat in that position!” Fluttershy said not being able to contain herself. “So cute!”

Fury's ears drooped and his face went as pink as Cadence.

“Oh. I said that out loud didn't I?” Fluttershy said, also blushing.

“Yeah, you kind of did.” Fury said.

Everyone around had a good laugh at the two's shyness.

“Oh it's alright you two.” Obsidian said “This is the time for us all to enjoy ourselves and be at ease. No need to fret.”

Twilight then coughed to get everyone's attention. “So what will we do first for Fury? Something like a show?”

“Sure, ever since Rainbow Dash introduced me to this ‘Television’ thing, I've always wondered what you ponies took for entertainment. Surely, you two have a catalog of every show in existence. Let's say, The Dino Age, Director's Cut?” Fury smiled cheekily at the two sisters even through his sickness.

“I'm not very familiar with… Oh. I see. Very amusing.” Luna said, rolling her eyes.

“You never pass one even when sick, I see.” Celestia said.

“I may have a sore throat, but I can still be funny. It’s in my job description.” Fury said before coughing a bit.

“Okay, but what exactly are we going to watch?” Fluttershy asked.

Black Ice spoke up. “Oh I have a great idea for what to watch. It's-”

“No no no, I already decided what I want to watch.” Fury said before his Mom could come up with another of her soap operas. “I found this one just lying around in some old box of assorted things when I went antique shopping yesterday, it looks like some old cartoon.”

He passed off a colorful VHS over to Cadence for her to decipher the unknown origin of the show. Just then, she had a moment of recollection as her mind was flooded with memories of her teenage life.

“Fury… Do you have any idea what you just found!?” She called out. “This is a complete edition of Hyper Wheels: Battle Force 5!”

“Hmm. Interesting. I'm assuming it has a lot of action?”

“Yep! You got it!” Cadence said excitedly. “It has the most epic scenarios you can think of. Interdimensional travel, wicked battle scenes, dramatic plot, it has everything! I promise you, you'll love this.”

With no time wasted, Cadence inserted the VHS into the player with her magic and pressed play. In no time, the theme song came on full force.

🎶Hyper Wheels: Battle Force 5!🎶

🎶Go! Hyper Wheels: Battle Force 5, Ride together to survive!🎶

🎶Drive Drive Drive! Through the Battle zones, gotta drive to survive!🎶

🎶Never Back Down, Never Give Up! It's time to ride! Battle Force 5!🎶

🎶Hyper Wheels: Battle Force 5!🎶

“Okay, I think I'm starting to like this.” Rainbow said. “This is the action I so desperately wanted!”

Everypony saw the five vehicles in the squad. Fury and Queen Bee Immediately took notice of Sabre, a red, sleek vehicle that could flip its front nose inside out to form a chainsaw with the wheels taking on the form of buzzsaws with hover jets underneath.

Twilight, Rainbow Dash and Applejack chose the Buster as their favorite. A six wheeled armored monster with a beefy roar to the engine and weapons galore with its extendable top turret.

Cadence, her aunts, her grand aunt and Rarity had their eyes on Reverb. A luxury vehicle with subwoofers on the inside and leather seats for comfort. But the inside was only half the story as the vehicle was both comfortable and powerful with a set of Sonic cannons and pulse technology to use as weapons, traversal assists and occasionally sonar.

Pinkie Pie took notice of the Tangler. A high centered buggy that could transform its tires into climbing claws for travel up walls and on the ceiling. Pinkie was more attracted to the pure wildness of the machine than anything else.

And finally, Black Ice, Obsidian and Fluttershy took the Chopper for their favorite. An agile speeder with the ability to take to the air as it could split its normally two wheeled configuration into four rotors to fly and glide. While Fluttershy just admired the core attributes like its color, Black Ice and her husband took it for something more meaningful. As it sort of reminded them of a certain other creature in their life that was just as wild and crazy in the air as he was in the ground.

Each character had their own respective personalities. Vert, the leader with a taste for the fight. Stanford, the posh and arrogant royal (even if only 189th in line for the throne) who enjoys music. Agura, the hard case and only female of the group with five brothers. Zoom, the wild trickster from Neighpan with the training of ninjas but the discipline of a stunt driver. And finally, the so-called “Twins”, Spinner and Sherman. The dynamic duo with an odd difference in height and body type that threw the watchers off, but a common interest in complex algorithms and math that would inevitably get a certain bookworm hooked.

“Well, if that doesn't remind me of some young rascal we know?” Obsidian said.

“Someone a bit rash, young and a bit of a hothead. Oh, I wouldn't know at all.” Black Ice said with a mild laugh as she looked at Fury.

“Oh ha ha. Achoo! Glad to see you two can still make fun of me.” Fury said, slumping down a bit.

“And I was about to say he also has great power and a drive to do great things and always tries to work to show he's worthy.” Black Ice said smiling. “Just like someone I know.”

“Hmmmm, I'll let you off the hook this time. Now settle in, the first episode’s starting.” Fury reminded them as they got settled for the show to start.

Six Episodes Later…

“Ye-heah! C'mon Vert, slice and dice those robotic freaks!” Fury cheered.

Everyone gazed at the screen as Vert along with his friends all together made a wedge to fight off a robotic enemy known as Sark.

Stanford, send a sonic blast towards Zemiric! Zoom, Agura, you take care of Zug. Spinner, Sherman, with me to grab the Battle Key!

Fluttershy was panicking. “Will they be alright? The portal to the normal world is going to close soon!”

“Don't worry, darling. It looks like they got it all together. Especially that dashing Stanford fellow. Oh I wish I were in that car…” Rarity said with dreamy eyes.

“Psh, that's nothing.” Rainbow said. “Just look at that Buster blasting away all those foes! Spinner is gonna bash those suckers!”

“And don't forget ol’ reliable Sherman!” Applejack said.

“Oh please, if anything, Vert is the one who keeps them all together. Just check out the Sabre, an awesome roar to the engine, wicked weapons, awesome speed. I love it! The first episode kinda reminded me of when I first met all of you.” Fury recalled, his nasally voice a little better.

“Really?” Twilight asked. “It's been so long.”

“Well, yeah. A cocky, hotshot foreigner that got caught in a place he didn't understand. Eventually finds out he's got a destiny that could shape the world, finds a team that he learns to work with, works out some awesome new powers. And most importantly, finds the true purpose in his life.” Fury said, looking at all of them. “It's like seeing history repeat when I watch this.”

Twilight nodded. “Yeah, I guess it does. Those were times I’ll never forget.”

“Yep! Vert kind of reminds me of myself.” Fury got a little quieter. “He… also kinda reminds me of how reckless I can get and what being a big shot can get you.”

Twilight was silent from hearing that.

“Sometimes fate has a way of making you go to strange places and meet strange people. I guess for me, I just went with the flow. I could have questioned whether I should have taken that letter Celestia gave me to invite me over for granted. But I just said ‘Screw it’, I've got nothing to lose especially with my reputation back then. Even so, I still question whether I'm good enough to be here. I'm hot headed, unrestrained, reckless and take unnecessary risks. What kind of creature makes death threats over his parents?”

“Son, that's all in the past-” Obsidian said.

“I know! But it still is wrong that I did all that. Sometimes I feel like my emotions are like a wildfire and it just is uncontrollable. I know and you know how crazy I can get.”

“And that's just a part of who you are.” A familiar voice spoke.

“Huh? Who said that?” Fury asked.

“Uh Fury… not trying to freak you out while you're sick, but… one of your eyes is glowing blue!” Rainbow Dash said. Fury was taken back by the statement until Rarity hovered a pocket mirror over to him.

“What the!? How did that happen?” Fury said in a panic.

“No need to fear, young one. Tis only your creator speaking.” The voice said, his eye glowing brighter as it, or rather he spoke.

“Snowdrift? Is that you? How are you projecting your voice through me without being summoned?” Fury asked.

“Your weakened state has allowed me to release my spirit from your subconscious unassisted. Though only my voice can truly be witnessed, my holographic form is restricted to only exist within you.”

“No way! Well, I guess that's the only cool thing about being sick. Well besides watching tv.” Fury said. “But I'm assuming you wanna tell me something now.”

“Yes. Your rage is perfectly normal. To others, it may seem like something that needs to be controlled, suppressed, or even completely stripped of your being.” The emperor's words caused the ponies to gasp.

“Wait… are… you saying that us ponies would go as far as to strip Fury's emotions from him if we felt like it?” Twilight asked with concern.

“I have no doubt that you're all exempt from this opinion, but I also assume there are multiple of your kind that would have no issue with asking you, or your fellow royals rewriting even his memories to remove the things they found… harmful to their bottom line.”

“What? What kind of pony would even think of doing that?!” Queen Bee asked with rage.

“Ponies who see Night Fury's aggression as a risk to society. From the issue of the dethroned ex-prince that he has informed me of, some ponies assume that royalty such as the sisters would do the same. Remove his anger, strip his hurtful memories, suppress his godly power, or even remove it entirely to make him… harmless, as they may see him.”

Everyone in the room was silent. They never thought such a horrible thing could be possible. What royalty would strip the emotions of a creature out of them if they saw it was just a small issue?

“But… even Blueblood or the shadow shifters didn’t go that far. Assassination, true. But memory erasure? I’ve only heard legends of it.” Celestia said.

“As you know of. But make no mistake, there are many things that you do not know about your subjects or what they assume you would do for them. Making another creature submit to your way of life just so the rest of society could feel comfortable is something even I had to deal with as I ruled over the snow blasted lands that you now humbly reside in.” Snowdrift explained.

“You're saying… you've seen creatures with that kind of power?” Twilight asked. “I thought they were only myths like zombies. But you encountered this type of power?”

The emperor nodded. “If you lived as far back as I have, you'll know many had powers unknown to the modern day.”

“The emperor's right. Ponies back then had a different way of handling other creatures. Nothing like your Changelings or Tirek. There were spells, incantations, rituals that could suppress or even strip a creature’s pain and suffering. And while that sounds like a good thing on paper, our first interaction with your kind wasn't so. Long story short, we distanced ourselves from you guys a long time ago before Cadence's mom came into the picture. If not for her, we'd have been a completely different species.” Fury explained.

“Wow.” Cadence said. “I'm glad for my mother. Sometimes the ponies’ quest for peace leads to the destruction of others even if just their very heart and soul.”

“Which is exactly why I'm trying to teach you all that peace isn't a forcible ideal, it's a chosen option. Some creatures take it wholeheartedly, others resent the very thought of it. But it's up to you to figure out which is which and accept the facts of what it is. Friendship may be a thing your society thrives on, but it can't be used as a jack of all trades when dealing with issues.”

“If Equestria is going to prosper and its royalty are going to bring in a new age of togetherness, you need to learn that while being at peace is good, solidarity in peace can make you just as much of a target as if you were the aggressor.”

Need to learn?” Luna asked.

“Yes. You've come a long way with your relationship with Fury. Especially you Luna. But make no mistake there’s a reason I talked about memory loss. Because I know they are still out there. And that Blueblood you mentioned? Maybe he has something new up his sleeves. But all I know is that you must be weary of being naive. Peace is good but not at the risk of losing everything you hold dear. Remaining aggressive while also knowing when to hold back is a good way to maintain a solid environment.” Snowdrift said.

“And I think I get what you're talking to me about. You want to explain to me that my rage is a part of me, and knowing when to hold back is what is required.” Fury pondered.

“That is correct. But as the record stands, you have already shown you can. It is just your beliefs that are out of line.” The emperor said.

“My beliefs?” Fury parroted in a confused manner.

“You believe that you are out of control, unrestricted in your anger, that you must work to suppress it for the sake of remaining on good terms with those around you, do you not?”

“Sometimes I feel that way. Yes.” Fury said, wondering where he was going with this.

“Well, all I'll say is this. If that is how you feel, you must remember that you can't hold in your emotions. Just think of what would have happened if you had been silent about your traumatic past and your parents being missing, how would that turn out?” The emperor asked.

Fury often preferred to think about stressful times like that in private. And he also preferred not to talk about his feelings to others. But he knew the Emperor had a point. Having others help him through his feelings no matter how hard it could be was a blessing.

“Ahh, I see you've found my point.” Snowdrift acknowledged. “It is good to remain calm in stressful situations, but always holding back your true feelings just to appease those who may have different views may just as well get you killed as relying on it too much. It all comes down to what you believe is needed and when, not necessarily how. You can't deny a part of you just to make someone happy. If they have a problem with you eating meat, being more aggressive than most and getting protective of your parents, then that's their loss.”

“I guess you're right. I've been a little iffy concerning my power. I don't think I've even gotten to use much of my fighting prowess at all, mostly just speed. I've probably gotten rusty by now, but I can't exactly know how rusty since I can barely move without feeling dizzy.” Fury moaned, his body making sure he remembered he was still sick.

“That I already knew even more I talked to you. Your sickness affects my world too.” The emperor said. “But of course once sickness does pass away, you'll be able to do what you were meant to do. And with this new embracing of yourself, you might find new power you never knew you had.”

“Yeah yeah, whatever. Now get out!” Fury hissed, zapping the blue eye away to finally get some peace.

“Well, that was something. Anyway, I'm getting a little peckish. Who's up for some snacks?”

“I could go for some cheese! I've been holding my hunger in for hours to watch those episodes!” Rainbow said.

“Same for me! Same for me!” Pinkie pie exclaimed.

Everyone else agreed with them. Celestia clapped her hooves and some butlers came in.

“Bring me and my guests some food, if you'd please. Make sure Fury's snacks are to his liking.”

“Some simple chocolate chip cookies will do, thanks.” Fury said humbly.

“You sure you don't want any fish?” Celestia asked.

“Nah, my stomach won't like that. Just something simple but sweet.”

The butlers proceeded to go about and give the guests some delectable treats. But unlike the formal setting by the dining table, it was casual, relaxed and comfortable.

“Awesome! But hang on…” Fury held his paw out and stretched, confusing the purple alicorn next to him.

“What are you doing, Fury?” Twilight asked.

“Trying to see if I can manifest levitation.” He replied.

“Your imagination running away again, fuzzball?” Queenie chuckled.

“It might just be, but I'm determined. Just watch guys, you're about to witness history.” Fury focused as hard as he could, sticking his tongue out for extra effect.

Rarity snickered. “Darling, as much as we support you on a daily basis, you can't just make yourself develop levitation.”

“Oh really?” Fury continued to focus on the plate of cookies before him, wishing himself to do the impossible. Just then, red electricity started to build up around his toe pads, gaining a constant glow in a few seconds.

“No way he actually does this.” Rainbow said, munching on some swiss. “Hey Twi, 20 bits says he gets one.”

“40 says he can't.” Twilight retorted.

“C'mon… come to papa…” As if the gods were puppeting the plate itself, one cookie began to quiver in place before levitating off the plate in a red glow.

Twilight's jaw dropped. She rubbed her eyes to be sure she was not seeing things. Everyone else looked in shock or wonder.

“Well Twily? A deal's a deal, right?” Rainbow said smugly.

Twilight didn't even look at her as she handed the bits, gazing still at Fury's levitation technique.

“I did it… I actually did it!” Fury said excitedly.

“I knew I kissed you for a reason all those months ago…” Luna said softly.

“Oh good job honey, look at you being a big boy.” Black Ice cooed. “My sweet baby boy is now becoming big and strong!”

“Yes yes, thank you mom.” Fury moaned. He flicked his index claw in a ‘Come Here’ motion and the cookie swiftly flew into his waiting paw in which he ate it with.

“Yep, now I can just chillax without any hassle. I don't have to sacrifice the pleasure of cookies for the comfort of my couch now.”

While the others looked upon him with wonder, the purple alicorn was still in shock at this new feat.

“But how? Levitation is something only certain races can learn! Like unicorns. I didn't think your type of energy could levitate. When did you realize you could do this?” Twilight asked.

“When I found out my Falcon talons could be used like boosters back during the Equestria Games, it got me thinking. If I can use my energy for propulsion, what's stopping me from using it for attraction? So, I took up some books on unicorn magic to see what was up. To say Pyro was confused to the point of speechlessness is an understatement. The books helped a little, but it was more help for those with a pinpoint of mana output rather than those with a core energy source like me.”

“So, I taught myself how to conjure up some electric field manipulation to use as a counter.” He explained. “I've been doing a few tests for a few days. I didn't tell you guys since this was all speculative and I didnt wanna give you false hopes. But looks like it all paid off in the end. Even if it did take a lot of energy out of me. And uh did make me fall unconscious for a few hours…” Fury admitted.

What!?

“Eheh, call it a little miscalculation?” He said with a sheepish smile.

“You are a piece of work, sugar cube.” Applejack sighed.

“Hey, it all worked out! I'm still here, alive and kickin’! Nothing to worry about.” Fury responded, crunching another cookie. “Especially with the treats offered to the ill.”

“It's great you did all that work. But next time you might want to tone down a bit.” Cadence said.

“Oh relax, I'll be okay. I haven't turned out like you yet, have I skellybones?” He smirked a cheeky smile.

“I guess your illness didn't affect your sense of humor.” Cadence replied, rolling her eyes.

“You'll find out his mouth is stronger than any of his other powers.” Obsidian wryly said.

“Hey, I wouldn't be an ambassador if I wasn't good with words.” Fury chuckled. Then, he felt a particular itch in his nose.

“Uh oh. Guys, got another one coming…”

Fury's parents along with the princesses knew immediately what would happen. “Everyone get down immediately!”

“Wait what is happening, darlings?” Rarity asked.

“No time, just get down!” Cadence said, immediately bringing her behind the couch.

Fury's fur began to glow, his nose twitching in an odd fashion.

“Oh boy. Heh… Haaaah… Haaaah…”

“Everyone get the force field read-”

“HACHOOOOO!!!!!!!”

Once again the floor rumbled and roared with intensity. Everyone fell over except for the princesses who had braced themselves. Lightning zapped around the room with the speed of something unholy before it all came to a stop and Fury flopped over.

“Oh great, things just keep getting worse. Ugh, why does it have to be me? Why?” Fury said as he blew his nose into a napkin.

After some time of recovering, everyone finally got up.

“Fury, are you alright?” Twilight asked. “That one was more intense than the last one.”

“Yeah I'm fine.” He then coughed a lot before drinking water. “Well, I'm not dying at least.”

“Hey! That's no joke, that's brutal!” Bee said worried.

“What else can I say, Bee!? I'm sitting here with a puffy nose, disastrous lungs, my legs don't work and I can't think straight. This whole Sick Day Fun Day is being ruined by how different things are. I'm no kid anymore, I've got the power of gods. This just isn't the same and never will be. This whole plan was a bust, and it's my fault.” He said, giving a big sigh. “Something as simple as sitting on a couch is now something I gotta watch out for. That wasn't part of the contract.”

“Oh Fury, I understand how you feel.” Black Ice said. “But don't you worry you will be just fine. And maybe even gain some of the great new powers.”

“Yeah? Well now's not the time for that, I've got to worry about possibly sending cannonball sized holes through the walls. Oh what's the use, I'm not getting any better and my sneezes are more destructive than a flying boulder. What exactly can I do now, huh? It's not like I can somehow let it absorb into something else and let it dissolve!” Fury snorted with a mix of anger and surrender.

“Fury, I understand how you're feeling but we will get through this.” Twilight said. “We're here for you.”

“What’s this got to do with any of you? You didn't have to be here, you could have left me to deal with it myself and save the possibility of catching a stray bolt. Besides, I can't be doing this, I'm supposed to be the next generation of my species’ prosperity. What kind of leader asks for help with something he knows good and well doesn't need it?”

“So you're saying you can weather this great illness all by yourself?” Rarity asked. “Darling, that sounds like quite a task to fight.”

“I don't know… I guess it's just more of my problems bubbling up. I always had a problem speaking up about anything that was bothering me for… obvious reasons.” He said while blowing a tissue.

“Are you referring to how the village treated you before you went to Canterlot?” Luna asked her lover with sympathy.

“Yeah. I basically shut down any communication between anyone that I managed to gain the trust of or anyone that I already trusted. Amethyst was an immediate shut out for reasons I shouldn't have to explain, Jade is a good friend but I couldn't muster up anything, Silver was somewhat of a friend back then while she was trying to cheer me up but still didn't really get my problems. I figured it was for the best. Sensitivities are often ridiculed in public unless for a very specific reason, and that Cragodile fail wasn't one of them.” Fury explained. It was clear that he was not in as good of a mood as earlier, his memories flooding in from all angles.

“Fury… I'm sorry you didn't have people who truly understood you.” Luna said. “But I hope I, we, have shown you we understand you better. That all your problems and feelings we won't dismiss.”

“I appreciate it, but a little laughing isn't gonna stop me from being sick.” He sighed.

“But Fury-” Luna was about to say.

“Luna, I think Fury is tired at this point.” Celestia said. “Maybe he would rather be alone with his thoughts for now.”

“It's fine, she's just trying to help me. I know.” Fury said, breathing in before exhaling and leaning up against Twilight before curling up into himself, his tail wrapped around his almost circular body.

“You're still just like one of my mother’s old house cats, Lightning Bug.” Luna said giggling, but at that point he had fallen asleep against the purple alicorn.

“Y'know, do you think he does these things not because it's instinct, but as a comfort mechanism?” Twilight pondered aloud, taking the chance of lightly stroking Fury's back to give him some added ease.

Black Ice nodded. “We Shifters all have bad days. And I know we like to curl up to those close to us and understand us. Sometimes Fury's had to do it by himself back in the village but he has you ponies who understand him.”

“Mama’s right, the fuzzball has done it with me all the time when I was still a newbie to babysitting him.” Queen Bee added.

“I always found it interesting how he acts so much like his domesticated cousins. He knows he's as big as us and has cognitive thought, but he sometimes just… shuts off that part of him to return to those base instincts. Like he knows we understand he needs that feeling of blankness in his mind.” Twilight said.

“Maybe he knows we know he's been through a lot? That we wouldn't judge him if he just decided to curl up next to one of us and take a nap?” Fluttershy said, getting on Fury's opposite side.

“I'd have no judgment for him. Honestly, I may have a more refined palette and attitude, but he trusted us to know he's had a harsh past and he may just need to come to one of us, curl up and let us comfort him.” Rarity admitted, looking over and putting a hoof to her heart, almost like she felt his inner self crying out to her in his sleeping form. “I suppose it reminds me of Sweetie Belle, whenever she would have a nightmare and go to me for comfort at night.”

“Me too. I may be a party pony at heart, but every time I see him zipping around town, even when he's smiling his biggest, bestest smile… I still feel like he's hurting somewhere deep down. And that's not even talking about my Pinkie Sense.” She said in a sincere tone.

“Big Mac saw it in me when we lost our ma and pa. He let me lie by him when I was feeling down and even let me cry for hours. But I saw some tiny tears from him too.” Applejack said. “I guess having a family means you have someone to turn to in times of sadness.”

Everyone nodded to agree. They knew Fury's sorrow and trauma. He tried to seem not sad but he always had some of that in him.

“So, what do we do? We have to have a way to bring his spirits up and help him through his sick day.” Cadence spoke up.

“There must be some way to give him what he needs. I know these two had their definite ways to get back in the mood, but what about him?” Lauren chimed in.

“Well, if he gets sleep, then I bet he'll be happier already.” Rainbow said. “Nothing to cheer you up like a good snooze.”

“Of course you would say that, Miss Sleepy.” Applejack said snidely.

“Lauren's right, we have to figure out what he needs. Both for his past trauma and his sickness.” Twilight said. As that was said, Fury sleepily unraveled and stretched between Twilight's front legs, nuzzling up against her chest.

“Oh, it looks like Fury's into you. He always does this when he's having a nap. He'd always nuzzle up to my chest and listen to my heartbeat to soothe him. He always favored me over his father.”

“Which I still sulk over…” Obsidian huffed.

Black Ice giggled. “I guess he just liked my special touch. But he never did this with any other girl. I guess he fancies the sound of any heartbeat close by now.”

Twilight stared down at Fury's head, his calm demeanor not disturbing her fur in the slightest. She hesitantly moved one of her legs over his back and embraced him closer to her, almost like a snuggle. Sliding her hoof back and forth over his side, he purred quietly, filling the room with his noise. His electric glow started to expose itself too, a slight static charge encasing the tip of Twilight's hoof. An inviting sensation that caused her dopamine to rise.

“He's… so comforting. Like a sensation of joy and calm all in one. It's like his inner self loves my presence and cherishes it like I'm a second mother to him. He really is acting like a house cat, just allowing me to get close and pet him to calm him down and give me some peace as well.” Twilight said quietly.

Everyone looked on with happiness that Fury seemed so content finally even if it was only in his slumber.

“So what will we do now that he's sleepin’ as hard as Rainbow after Cider Season?” Applejack asked.

“Let's give him some time to rest up. But I think I have an idea on how we can get him in a better mood.” Rarity said, a confident smile adorning her features.

A Few Minutes Later…

Fury still felt a little tired, his body a little woozy. He felt so comfortable after all. But he opened his eyes to see a small ray of sunshine, along with a blanket and pillows in replacement to where he had snuggled up next to Twilight. He then looked around quickly to see if anyone was still there.

“Twilight? Cadence? Moonpie? Mom? Anyone?” Fury called out to an empty room.

“Dang, I guess I got knocked out for a while.” Fury said. He still felt sick but not as potently now and most importantly he felt relaxed. “Kinda rude for the others to ditch me though.”

Fury, after a few minutes of fighting with his body and inner laziness, finally managed to get his paws on the ground and head out the door. He looked left and right, nothing but the guards next to the doors and others beyond.

“Hey, you two wouldn't know where the others have gone, do you?” He said, trying his best to sound professional with a slightly better but still stuffy nose.

“Unfortunately, I don't, your excellency. Her highness gave us orders to only guard this room and check in on you every half hour.” One of the guards said.

“Great, they ditched me and told everyone to keep it a secret. What a treat.” Fury said sarcastically. He sniffed as best he could with his nose and caught the scent of someone familiar.

“Well, at least my nose cleared up well enough for me to pick up Cadence scent. I'll find them that way.” Fury declared, walking away to find his friends. But out of his hearing, little did he know, something was happening behind his back.

“He's on the move. Send her highness the signal.” The pegasus mare guard said. The unicorn stallion to her left lit his horn and sent a ping of mental magic far out and fast.

Moving like a shockwave from a bomb, the signal carried on, invisible and inaudible to Fury as it bounced off the castle walls and sped through the passages to where eventually, the ping snuck through a set of double doors further into the castle and reached Celestia's horn.

Ding ding!

“There's the signal, he's on his way. Apparently he managed to use what little of his nose he could and snagged Cadance's scent.” Celestia chuckled.

“Well, isn't that convenient.” Luna huffed.

“Oh don't be so jealous, Auntie. You know he'll always love you and you only. Plus, he's still sick, cut him some slack.” Cadence giggled, eliciting a sarcastic snort from her elder aunt.

“Alright, that's our queue, when he comes in, get ready to give him a special surprise.” Twilight said.

“Are you sure this will work? What if he sees this and doesn't like it?” Black Ice mumbled with worry.

“Don’t worry, he'll love it. This isn't just some party we're throwing, it's a gift to show him we're here, we all love him, and we care for him. It'll be alright, Icey.” Obsidian said, hugging his wife.

“I still can't believe Rarity’s the one who came up with this in the first place. I mean, you had some strong opinions about him when he first showed up and weren't shy about expressing ‘em.” Rainbow said.

“Only out of love, darling. Only out of love. Nothing different. Just a different situation. In this case to delight, not to give unnecessary critique.”

“Let's hope he gets here soon, he'll really want to see this.” Fluttershy spoke as they continued to set up for his arrival.

Later on…

Fury strode through the castle with a strange sensation that something was amiss. Did he miss something? Was someone else having a sick day worse than his? Did he cause it!?

Wait. No no, calm down, no one is sick because of you. Jeez, I've seriously got to get some help about self doubt and constantly passing blame. Cadence knows about love, maybe she can teach me about self love?

He continued to ponder over what he could do to improve himself for the better while also following the love princess’ scent. It was strange to him how Cadence of all ponies was the easiest to track for him. She never wore cologne or anything special, she gave that up after she got married to preserve her ideals of having an ‘All Natural Marriage’ as she put it.

He couldn't be attracted to her more than Luna, could he? If he wasn't thinking it, he had no doubt his Moonpie was making assumptions. This made him chuckle as he continued his journey through the castle.

The trek wouldn't last much longer as the scent he was following eventually came to a set of guarded double doors.

“Hey, can I come in? I think I finally found the princess that I've been thinking about for too long.” Fury said finally wanting to get things settled with her and the others.

The guards looked to each other, and to the door and nodded. “Very well, Fury. You may come in.”

What Fury didn't realize was that their gaze at the door was another secret signal to those inside the room. The trap was set. Everyone was prepared for him.

The guards let Fury through and he opened the doors into a room seemingly empty. All he noticed was a nicely decorated dining room with tapestries and curtains.

“Is my nose still playing tricks on me?” Fury asked himself. “I could have sworn Cadence's scent was right here.”

Then right out of nowhere, the room burst with the sounds of pops and trumpets.

“Huh, who's there?” Fury asked.

“Why it's none other than… your friends!” Everyone suddenly jumped out of the curtains and revealed the special surprise for him as they uncovered the table.

“Surprise!”

“Holy Toledo!” Fury cried out.

“Turn that frown upside down as you behold the Table of Delights!” Pinkie proclaimed.

On the table was some smoked salmon, chicken nuggets, and a large assortment of cheeses.

Fury was already impressed by these unusual cuisines from ponies.

“How did you guys get your hooves on all of this!? Seriously, I'd have expected Rarity to come out of hiding looking greener than moss.” Fury laughed.

“I can be tougher you think, darling.” Rarity responded. “But to answer your question, I worked together with your parents to arrange a feast. With my fine dining skills along with your mother's special knowledge of your tastes, we were able to make something you would like. Which is why it seems so finely prepared for I acted cooly there in the face of danger.” Rarity replied.

“Cooly? Yeah right. More like resisting vomiting at the meat.” Rainbow snidely said. “And making those silly faces seeing all that fish.”

“Rainbow!” Rarity whined, her aura of calm shattered.

“Hah! What a sight, the fashionista tossing her lunch at mine! That's one for the record books! Spike owes me 40 bits!” Fury laughed harder.

“Alright. Alright.” Obsidian said. “But despite all that being true, she did manage to plan a good feast. And we made sure that you, even if you're sick, can get the most out of today.”

“So this is what you jokers were planning behind my back. What a slick move.” Fury huffed in a slight sense of impressed.

“Yep. We figured it would be one thing to just awkwardly ask how your sleep was or if you dreamed anything.” Celestia said. “Or we could give you a banquet fitting of an ambassador.”

“Hey, don't forget I'm an All Powerful too!” Fury said confidently. “Man, that feels a lot better to say now that I've actually embraced it rather than trying to stay humble. You were right, Cadence. I was being too humble for my own good.”

“Now you're getting it! Seriously, you are greater than you think. You've helped my aunt and you've saved the Crystal Empire. And you even made my wedding fun with your uh… cake shenanigans.” Cadence said winning some laughs in the room. “But the point is we're all proud of you.”

Everyone nodded to that.

“Thanks guys, I appreciate the sentiment. It feels good to know all my friends care for me.” Fury said. Then, everyone gasped.

“Hey, Fury, your voice! It isn't nasally anymore!” Rainbow Dash said.

“And your nose isn't red either!” Pinkie added.

“Wait, really? Rarity, mirror me!” Fury said.

“There you go.” The unicorn levitated her mirror to him.

Fury opened the pocket mirror and to his surprise, he looked a lot better. “Well what do you know? It's cleared out! What the heck just happened?” Fury asked.

“Perhaps it's that sense of freedom.” Obsidian said. “Freedom from bitterness or feelings of inadequacy. When you realized everyone truly appreciated all there was, your stress based sickness cured itself.”

“Or… it could be from my sweet honey scented aerosol that I sprayed around to clear up his mucus. But thanks for the poetic input, pops.” Queen Bee said, standing next to Fury and letting him have a sniff.

“Oh. Of course.” Obsidian said, not used to being wrong about his observations.

Fury kept on sniffing the aerosol. “Wow, I never knew honey could make life so much easier. I guess it’s the sweet things in life that are worthwhile.”

“And you're the sweet thing that makes all of our lives worthwhile, fuzzball.” Queenie said, nuzzling him.

“Aww, thanks Bee. But what are we doing standing around for? C'mon, I'm ready to chow down.” Fury said just as a loud growl filled the room.

“Heh, sounds like it too.” Cadence giggled.

“Agreed! Let us be merry and eat!” Celestia said.

“Alright as long as I have my cucumber sandwiches and no fish of course.” Rarity said, still a little put off.

“Hey pass the crystal salt, Queenie!” Fury said. And from then on, the group treated themselves to a nice feast. The now healthy All Powerful was happy that his friends took the time to care for him, he had no idea such a thing existed outside of parents doing it. But regardless of who or what cared for him, all he cared about was being better and getting back to living life to the max.

PreviousChapters Next