• Published 29th Jul 2021
  • 1,524 Views, 69 Comments

To Equestria And Beyond (Rewrite In Progress) - NightFurySpeedey8156

  • ...
21
 69
 1,524

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 47: A Brutal Case Of Boredom

It was a calm day in the Crystal Empire, ponies going to and fro in the cold breeze of the north. In the palace throne room, high above the streets, sat Princess Cadence, who was currently taking it upon herself to work on the future trade deals between the Yaks and the Snow Shifters. Everything was quiet, the only noise being the light scribbling of a quill on paper.

My goodness, I know these fellows are excited to do business and show off their goods and to receive goods back, but they really are going all out these days.

For the Princess of Love, she was quite happy with the optimism of the other races to not only do trade, but also willing to be friendly to the Empire. But it was hard work. She had so much to do. She had to set up new inns, guards to fend off beasts, and improved roads. And not to mention in a week from then, attend a party with the elegant chief of the Snow Shifters and the fierce prince of the Yaks. Either way, she had her work cut out for her, every molecule spending nothing less on what needed to be done. Same for her husband, who was busy drilling his troops arduously for guarding the new routes.

She had to admit she would rather have been relaxing at the beach with her husband and friends than this important but somewhat tedious work. But she pressed on knowing nothing would stop her from this important task.

That is, until a strange tingling feeling quickly glided over her belly.

"I have so much to do. Twilight would keep on working even if she were starving for three hours." Cadence said, trying to get back to work. Her stomach responded negatively to that idea.

"But then again, I'm not Twilight. I suppose a hefty snack wouldn't hurt." Cadence said, giving a big stretch and leaving her throne to settle her hunger. Luckily, the royal kitchen was just a trot away from her ideal area. As she walked inside, she felt something weird. Although this time, it wasn't her stomach calling to her.

Her magic was sensing something, or someone for that matter. It was as if another independent being was with her. But then she got another growl from her stomach and she passed it off as something else.

"It's probably nothing. And anyways, I have more important matters to attend to." She said to herself walking over to a cabinet which she excitedly opened revealing all the cured cheese available for the pickings.

But unbenounced to her, that supposed 'Nothing' was approaching behind her. Slowly but surely, the creature approached, making no sound as it walked up behind her. And as it rose up on its hind legs it reached out, slid its paws next to her sides and…

"Coochie coochie coo!"

"No no no ha ha ha ha!" Cadence giggled. "This is a new low for you, Fury! Attacking me with your tickles when I'm hungry for cheese! Aren't there any rules of tickle engagement you have?!"

The love princess was right, her assailant was indeed her feline friend, who had apparently come to give her a surprise visit.

"Sorry but haven't you heard of black ops? Strike when your foe is distracted, especially by something delectable! Think of it as practice." Fury said at last, releasing her.

"Hmph! However you justify tormenting me." Cadence said with a growl. But then her face turned to curiosity. "But wait, how long have you been here? And why are you here? I thought you were still practicing transformations?"

"I haven't been doing anything. For the first time in my life I'm b… bor… b-bor…" Fury struggled to get the words out of his mouth. Breathing in, he spat it out.

"I'm bored!" He admitted. Cadence made a gasp in mock surprise.

"You!? The great Night Fury, bored!? Oh how has this tragedy gone unnoticed!?" Cadence said dramatically, getting a laugh out of both of them.

"Yeah, turns out training to become an animal is fun for the first few days but now it's getting tedious and harder to master. And I had to get away from it all just for a bit."

"Ahh, I see what's happening. Classic boredom codependency."

"Boredom Codependency?" Fury parroted with confusion.

"Yeah. You used the boredom of your ambassadorship to artificially drain your patience and force a reaction, thus lowering your standards for what to do for fun as you just want to get away from it all. But, now that you have all this free time, your standards have risen and everything seems not good enough."

"Yeah I guess that's a pretty apt way to describe my troubles. So to solve this boredom, I figured you would be a good help. The Mane Six have been busy with an assignment in some random village now that there's some sort of 'Map Table' in the castle. And Celestia and Luna were doing some negotiations with the Sunny Shores Aquarium to possibly use their technology for the Equestrian Navy, not to mention trying to convert my super sonar into a universal recon tool. So I figured you were the chosen one to free me from my suffering." Fury said with pride.

Cadence chuckled. "Well, I could say the same thing for you. I have time to spare and even this cheese won't solve my boredom, so together, maybe we can actually make today fun."

Fury smiled mischievously. "Nice. We're going all out today. But I'm a bit spent after running all the way to the Crystal Empire. How about you come up with the first idea?"

"Hmmm." Cadence said while eating some aged cheddar. She wanted today to be something special for sure. But what to do?

"I got it! Time to meet some old friends for this adventure." Cadence said giddy with excitement.

"Old friends? You mean the other princesses? They're already busy though."

Cadence shook her head. "Hey, they're not the only close friends I have fun with. I'm talking about ponies you've never met. My old high school besties."

"Who are they?"

"Just wait and see." Cadence said as she went to her papers. She wrote some letters and had the mailpony deliver them.

"What are they like though?" Fury asked.

"Let's just say if they can match the amount of energy you have. So be ready for some wildness." Cadence chuckled with a blush. Fury just stood with a smile.

"Please, I've met some crazy ponies and Shifters. I'll be prepared."

-

Later on…

Ding dong!

Cadence and Fury went to the door. The pink alicorn was filled with eagerness and a little curiosity about how they've changed. Meanwhile Night Fury was secretly questioning why the Crystal Palace had a doorbell.

The door opened. But there was no one there. Cadence was confused and walked outside.

"Hey, I thought I heard the bell ring-"

"SURPRISE!"

All of a sudden, someone leapt from the top and hugged Cadence.

"It's been so long, Cadence! You didn't forget my classic greeting, haven't you?"

"Whoa whoa!" Cadence said steadying herself. "I sure have not forgotten, Glorious Giggle. Ha ha." Cadence said amused.

Glorious Giggle leaped off Cadence's back and three more mares gathered around.

"You haven't changed a bit have you, Giggle?" Said an earth pony mare with an apron.

"I just wanted to show our longtime friend and her majesty a bit of hospitality, Hot Sauce!" Giggle replied.

Another mare spoke up. She had a nice flowing mane and powerful looking wings. "Sorry about that, girl, Giggle still likes to throw greetings around. She can be pretty dramatic."

"Yeah yeah. As if you didn't help put up the streamers to help Miss Laughter make the surprise bigger." said a slender, athletic unicorn mare.

Cadence laughed. "I see the whole gang's all here. Fury, I'd like you to meet my old friends!"

Fury walked to see them.

"I'd like to introduce you to Summer Fling, a local fashion designer who I owe a lot to. Hot Sauce, I think you can guess what she does. Glorious Giggle, who will make you laugh. And lastly Sporty Sprinter, she can run really really long ways. And guys, this is Night Fury, the ambassador for the Speed Shifters you've probably heard of in the news."

The group of reunited highschool friends were amazed at Fury's looks. Whatever he was, he was a sight to behold. And a hot one at that.

"That is some nice black fur you got there. So smooth." Summer said.

"Not to mention. I heard you can go real fast." Sporty said with a bit of a purr.

"I guess there is something hotter than my recipes." Hot Sauce said in a sultry voice.

"For a big cat, you're pretty cute!" Giggle said bluntly.

Fury laughed. "Thank you for the compliments, ladies but we're not here to admire my dashing looks. I'm already taken anyway. We're here to have a thrill ride. And I heard you ladies know just how to do it."

"Oh you know it pal!" Sporty said. "Today is the day we go all out! We got something planned already."

"Yep! It's going to be cool and stylish!" Summer said. "You're gonna love it!"

"Come on!" Giggle said, pulling Fury.

Yeesh, looks like Pinkie's got some competition for ultimate crazy pony.

Fury thought to himself as he joined the girl squad on their journey for a day of fun.

A few minutes later…

The group was walking along through the crystal city to get to their destination, holding a steady pace while making small talk. Fury was excited for what he would experience that day, but for now, he might as well get to know some new friends.

"So how long have you girls known old Lovebutt here?" Fury asked.

"Fury!" Cadence hissed in embarrassment.

"Ha ha ha, it looks like I'm not the only one who came up with that witty name for our gal pal." Giggle said.

"Okay okay, cool it you two." Hot Spice intervened. "To answer your question, we've known her since she was in high school. We were tasked to help her with special skills that would be important since she was a princess."

Summer nodded. "Yep! Her highness Celestia assigned each of us to help her with a certain skill. Not so much as teachers but as assistants. It was simple. I helped her with style for future diplomacy."

Sporty continued. "I helped her with racing. I always wanted a good competitor and I was not going to let even a fancy princess beat me. So we both made each other faster."

Hot Spice spoke up. "I showed Cadence some good meals. Including the special ingredients especially from the place I come from, there are lots of spices. Pretty important so Cady can know the food situation of her kingdom and even know what soldiers will need for rations. Not to mention the personal benefits."

Giggle then literally jumped in. "Hey don't forget me! I might seem like just a jokester, but knowing good wit gets you far in diplomacy just as much as fashion! And a nice smile and entertainment doesn't hurt. Maybe more important than even fashion."

Summer snorted with a bit of scorn. "That must be your best joke yet. Humor is nice but fashion is more important."

"Nah, I think it's actually good food." Hot Spice said. "You can't go on an empty stomach."

"Nope! Physical prowess! And winning against those who dares to challenge us!" Sporty said smugly.

These friends were quite skilled but they took great pride in their abilities. Fury was amused but a little overwhelmed at their hotheadedness.

"Yeesh, you guys have more of an ego than Shining Armor. And that's saying something, at least considering what my birthmark represents." Fury said with a big laugh. "Oh I'm going to love you ladies. Not in that way, of course."

Cadence cleared her throat. "Okay, before we go into some idle banter, let's ask ourselves. Where will we go first? The Crystal Carnival? The restaurant here? Where to go?"

"I've never been to a carnival before, so why not there?" The eager feline suggested. "From what I heard from Pinkie, they're some of the best places to go for some fun! And maybe some tasty snacks." He said, licking his lips.

"Hmmm, maybe they'll have some good competition too." Sporty said. "I'd like to have a chance to prove myself in any games."

"Well then what are we waiting for? Let's go! Lead the way, Cadence!" Fury said.

-

Fury had many regrets. One of which was he never made it to the Crystal Empire Carnival before. It was bustling with even more exoticness than the rest of the city. Merchants sold snow globes, glowing crystal orbs, purported fortune balls and even blow darts with diamond darts.

"Wow, Cady, you didn't tell us this place was so stylish!" Summer said. "This might be even more fabulous than Canterlot. This is what I call an aesthetic!"

Cadence smiled. "Yep. A lot of things to check out. But shopping isn't the only thing here. We also have some nice places to eat and play games. This was one of the traditions that truly delighted me when I first became princess. You all were lucky to come in the month celebrating Sombra's fall where they celebrate. They even have a parade."

Fury almost felt breathless at the breadth of things to do here. He had to think of something before he passed out from being overwhelmed.

Luckily for him, a peculiar sight filled his vision. It looked like some sort of building, but weird light and sounds came out of it. Not to mention the entrance looked like a clown's mouth.

"Of course it's a clown. Leave it to them to go all wacky. What the heck is that place?"

Cadence smiled. "That is a Funhouse. And you guys will see some weird wonders in there."

"Heck yeah! I'm all ready for a round of bedazzlement!" Glorious Giggle said.

"A fun house can be really atmospheric and make you feel odd emotions never before felt. Let's see how well they do in that." Summer said scrutinizingly.

Everyone walked into the funhouse. In through the mouth. The only one not so enthusiastic was Sporty who was a little put off.

But either way, they came in and the first that they saw was… themselves.

"Whoa look at my face!" Giggle said. "I look like a hot air balloon!"

Fury was surprised to see the reflections twisted their bodies in different ways. It was almost unnatural, like something out of a dream.

"Is this some sort of spell I'm seeing?" Fury asked. "Because I don't remember being tiny a foot to the left and then a giant a foot to the right."

"Nope. Nope. Nope. You got that all wrong buckaroo!" Giggle said. "What you see here is a pure mirror. They're wonderful things but most want perfect realistic reflection. But I say as a proud goofball, these mirrors are perfect. They reflect your true self, your weird wacky self!"

Fury was excited at that notion, moving over to the next mirror which gave him some… highlights.

"Haha! Check it out, this one makes my butt look huge!"

"I don't know if I like this." Summer said. "I don't want a physique like this!" Then she walked to a mirror shrinking her butt down. "Now this is better."

"Oh please! That's lame! You know what's really cool!" Giggle asked rhetorically before going to a mirror that made her head look big while making a face.

"Ahhhh! Get away!" said Sporty. "Get that freaky face away!"

"Ohoho, I think I just found the best one!" Fury laughed. "Hey Cady, get over here and check this weirdness."

Cadence walked over a smile of curiosity plastered on her face. "Okay, Fury, what do you have to show the class?"

"Uh… you might wanna double check your ears, because I don't remember Shining marrying a rabbit." Fury chuckled, pointing to the mirror. Cadence looked to where he was pointing and to her shock and amusement, the mirror made their ears look massive.

"Ba ha ha ha ha! Now that's amazing!" Giggle burst out laughing. "Who would have thought alicorns were not just the three pony races put together but with rabbits! All hail the Rabbit Princess!"

Cadence noticed her reflection and was quite satisfied at her friends' uproar.

Cadence rolled her eyes. "Thank you very much you two geniuses. I guess you can't beat the Crystal Empire's crystalline mirrors. They give shapes that some might call unnatural. How about another join in?"

Fury raised his arm. "No problemo! Two can play in the freakiness department!"

Fury went in front of the mirror and for him, whereas Cadence had tall ears, it was Fury's legs that appeared abnormally tall. His body was normal but his legs were as tall as an elephant but skinny like a spider's.

"Woah, I've got stilt legs! Celestia would be jealous if I could tower over her like this!"

"Okay so we have a rabbit princess and a daddy long legs ambassador!" Giggle chuckled. "I think your enemies will stand no match for your combined might!"

"Oh gee. Just seeing Fury like that makes me afraid of how much fabric it would take to clothe those legs." Summer said with a chuckle.

Everyone was quite amused except for Sporty who looked a bit nervous at the weird reflections.

"Y-yeah and I-I don't think those long legs would do well in a race. Just saying! I don't know why someone would want those long legs or ears honestly. The other way looks way better!" She said nervously.

Fury found it amusing how this athletic daredevil was so nervous about silly mirrors.

"What's wrong, athlete? Getting a swirl looking at the mirrors?" He asked in a cocky voice.

"Well, it's not that I'm scared. I-I just know what looks good and I don't think that fits the bill!"

"Well I find it looks kind of whimsical." Summer interjected.

"I didn't ask you!"

Fury laughed out loud. "Oh wow. Looks like we have a shy pony around here! Cadence was she always like this?"

"Well she was quite brave and competitive. But she always had some sort of fear for the strange and spooky. She never liked Nightmare Night. I guess she prefers the daylight."

Speedy frowned. "You promised you wouldn't tell!"

"It's been years since that promise, Sporty. It was going to get out eventually. And besides you liked to talk about my teenage love poems for Shining to others, so now we're even." Cadence said, sticking her tongue out. While everyone else was laughing at Sporty's expense, Night Fury was thinking about what this new holiday was.

"What's Nightmare Night? Some sort of holiday I haven't heard of?"

Everyone stopped what they were doing.

"You're joking! You're joking! You can't tell me you don't know about the spooky, beautiful, lovely outfits of that day!" Summer said

"Or the spooky stories of spooky scary skeletons that send shivers down your spine!" Giggle said.

"And best of all the candy from tootsie rolls to candy corn." Hot Spice said.

Fury was astonished at all this. "Okay, I have no idea what Nightmare Night is, but that sounds awesome! I demand someone explain it to me now!"

"I will!" Cadence said. "And it actually has to do with Luna."

Fury was now even more curious.

"You see when Luna was Nightmare Moon, many were afraid of that version of herself returning. And so citizens would prepare for her coming back. Children even would give candy to appease her. And hope she does not eat them. That or her army of the night like ghosts or skeletons. I hope that does not sound too scary."

"Are you kidding me? A whole night of candy with monsters?! Sign me up!" Fury said enthusiastically. "But wait, what did Luna look like back then? I know who she was but what's the visual?"

"Let me show you my sketchbook!" Summer said. "I like to look at the past to see inspiration for my dresses. And Nightmare Night is no exception."

She opened up the book to reveal a pencil sketch of Nightmare Moon in different poses. Some regal and others warlike. But all of them showed a certain ferocity that Fury never expected out of Luna. And a mythical look to her especially with her mane.

"Woah… Luna looks… smokin' hot! Awooooo!" He said as he transformed into a wolf.

"She was a terrifying dictator who wanted to rule over the world and your first thought is how hot Nightmare Moon is?" Sporty asked.

"Yeah, remember when I said I was already taken when you girls were flirting with me? Guess who's the lucky girl?"

All the mares' jaws except Cadence's, dropped.

"Y-y-you're dating the princess of the night?!" Summer asked.

"You bet! Almost a year long relationship now, and still going strong! After the whole situation with Blueblood trying to off me, Luna realized that she had feelings for me. So on a whim, she decided to make her feelings known by kissing me right there in Station Square." Fury explained, looking like he had just seen a batch of stars fly over his head.

"Awwww, well isn't that romantic. The classic tale of a princess and her knight in shining armor." Spicy said. "Excluding Cady, considering that goofball she dated."

"Hey! That goofball happens to be my husband now, so watch your mouth!" Cadence shot back.

"How long did you know you were in love with her?" Summer asked. "Was this love at first sight?"

"Yep, but it was a one way street back then. I had a crush on her the instant I stepped off the train to Canterlot. Celestia caught wind and gave me some encouragement to push my limits. Over the next couple of months, I opened up. All of my secrets, strengths, weaknesses, funny stories. She found them all charming. And after a few dates and a little time together, we eventually tied the knot."

"Awwwwww." Cooed all the mares except Sporty and Cadence.

"I bet you must have really loved her deeply. I have to admit it's a bit hard to see how someone as laid back as you went with such a stoic princess." Summer said.

"At that point, she probably needed someone like me. Constantly worrying about how she looks to the public after what she did? I could have only imagined what was going through her head. But once she got to know me and my… special brand of charm, she fell for me." Fury chuckled.

"But let's quit with the sappy stuff, let's check out the rest of this fun house!" Fury said.

Sporty sighed in relief "Finally I can get out of this stupid mirror place-"

"Boo!" Fury appeared with a freaky exaggerated face that looked like a demon cat.

"Ahhhhh!"

"Okay now I'm ready to go.'" Fury said as they took off.

-

"So where to next? It'll be hard to beat those reflective abominations for sure." Fury said with a chuckle.

"You can say that again." Sporty said.

The pink princess was smiling widely. "Oh you'll see. Actually no, not see. We already did that with the mirrors. Now is the time to feel what this fun house has to offer you. This next one should be rather interesting."

As they were about to enter the next room. They could hear the sounds of people cheering in excitement. It wasn't the terrors and slow admiration of the people at the mirrors but rather hyper excited voices along with the sounds of bouncing.

"I present to you the Bounce House of Legends!" Cadence said.

Everyone looked in awe at the huge room filled with cushions and guests bouncing higher and higher. But it was not just any bounce house. There were platforms where you could jump on each one to get all the way to the ceiling. It looked like an obstacle course.

"I didn't think ponies could jump that high!" Fury said. "This looks amazing!"

Giggle looked enthusiastic."I didn't think the Crystal Empire could have something actually soft and fluffy. I thought they were all crystally and stuff."

"My kingdom isn't all crystal, Giggle. Now, who's the brave soul willing to take the plunge first?" Cadence asked.

"This entire trip is for me, so I'll take the first one." Fury said, stepping forward. There was a small dip before the bouncy material was able to be touched, so no doubt he would get some good momentum. Fury took a deep breath in through his nose and fell forward, falling directly on the soft floor.

The squishy material compressed under his weight, holding him in a small divot before shooting him upwards.

"Woohoo!"

He looked down and saw that the whole ground got smaller and smaller. Being high up was nothing new to him but being able to elevate yourself with no powers except his own legs was a spectacle of its own.

He then descended right down. Fury's feline instinct kicked in and he prepared his legs to jump even higher. Upon landing, his legs came down first, holding in a crouched position before springing off and propelling him forward. He looked back to the group midair and smiled.

"C'mon, ya slow pokes! You gonna get in on this or what!?" Fury called out.

"Oh you bet your nine lives I will!" Sporty said as she bounced up. "I'm not gonna let you take all the credit!"

"Woo hoo! Let me in too!" Giggle cried out.

"I'm not exactly the thrill seeker type, but I do like a good bit of fun here and there!" Said Sunny, dropping in with a cannonball.

"Same for me. And what better way to burn off some calories from my cooking!" Hot Sauce said, jumping in.

"Yahoo!!!" Cadence said simply, doing the same.

The group bounced and bounced. For Fury, he saw the others try to jump as high as possible, each trying to surpass the other. Especially Sporty who was the only one who seemed focused and serious about her bouncing skills.

While the others were having fun, Fury's keen eyes spotted something else. A slide that had a sign above it reading 'Super Slide'. This got his cheeky thoughts brewing again as he thought of a way to really up the ante.

Secretly bouncing around his friends, strategically moving out of each of their sightlines, he moved himself to the back. Bouncing in place, he aimed himself in just the right direction to bounce forward and tackle them onto the slide with a bear hug.

Proportionately, he was the biggest out of them all, his wide shape giving him a decent leg length. So his plan would work out perfectly thanks to his grip.

"Surprise ambush!" Fury cried out as he grasped them all in his tight embrace. They were all confused.

"What's the meaning of this- Whoaaahhhhh!" Summer said.

"To have a trill! Wahoo!" Fury said as they all slid down a long winding slide.

Some of them were overjoyed, others were scared and others wondered how Fury was able to ambush them all.

The slide was unpredictable. Sometimes it slid straight ahead then followed by circling around and around and followed by even the occasional ramps propelling them up across a chasm of cushion to the other side.

"What is going on here?!" Hot Sauce asked.

"You're getting an exclusive view of who I am! I'm not just wacky… I'M FLAT OUT CRAZY!" Fury yelled, having the time of his life.

"Is this guy always so wacky?!" Summer asked Cadence.

She chuckled. "Oh you don't know him if you think this is crazy! You won't see anyone like him in a century!"

"I think I like this guy." Giggle said.

"You got guts I'll give you that." Sporty said. "Even if you did surprise us with no indication beforehand."

"Eh, it's all a part of being a shifter. We like to sneak on our prey. Keep things a surprise." Fury said with a confident grin. "And speaking of surprises…"Just then, a shine of daylight came through at the end of the slide and a sight that they all recognized came into view. A working slip-n-slide to ease them out into the open air.

"Ah, finally we're going to have a little break." Summer said, sighing in relief. "Maybe we can have some tea."

"Oh I don't know about that." Cadence said with a chuckle. "We've landed in the middle of the rides. And there's one in particular I've been waiting to see."

The others were curious about what the princess was talking about, so they got up and followed her. Moving along through the rides, they saw roller coasters, paddle boats, dunk tanks and more. But only a little more walking would reveal the true prize.

Before then stood a sort of fish with a ramp that led inside. The top was open and the supports seemed to have some sort of rotating mechanism.

"Huh, what's this thing?" Fury asked, having never seen such a strange contraption.

"This is the pinnacle of wild rides. The ride that'll have you stumbling on your hooves and wondering why you're seeing double. I give you… The Tilt-A-Whirl!"

"From the name I assume something wacky is going to happen isn't it?" Sporty asked.

"Heh heh. Maybe. But perhaps it would be best to show you. Let's just say you better hold on to your seats." Cadence said.

The group all took the ramp up and into the ride, circling the circumference of the round shape until they came to some free spots along the walls. This confused Fury as the ride seemed to be mostly upright so far, nothing looking like it could move in any other direction. But despite the weird placement of wall spaces, this got him thinking.

Tilt-A-Whirl? Maybe the name is a clue in itself. Eh, only one way to find out.

Fury went into one of the free spaces. In it there were comfortable seats. Everyone went in. It seemed comfortable enough. But they wondered what crazy action would be occurring?

“Okay, Cady, what do you have in mind?” Fury asked.

"Oh just wait. Once this ride picks up speed, you'll see just what I mean."

The ride whirred to life and began to spin, the wind pressing against their faces. So far, the ride seemed lackluster. Low speed, very little thrill. It seemed like a lost cause. Fury as well as Sporty yawned in boredom. But that wouldn't be a long-term memory as the spinning began to gain speed.

“Don't dismiss this just yet! You're in for a surprise. Just make sure you don't panic.”

“That remains to be seen.” Summer said nonchalantly, trying to play it cool.

But ten seconds later, her words would be proven wrong. The platform was now going a bit faster, spinning at a very high rate. As if the whistling wind, spinning feeling and added pressure from the g-forces wasn't enough, something else happened.

Just then, the floor dropped down a few inches, leaving them practically floating with no support below them. For the time being, they had no floor below them. But that wasn't all.

Soon enough, they noticed a shift in pitch from the ride, leaning to one side at an angle while still picking up speed.

“Oh shoot, we're gonna fall!” Sporty said, worried.

“No no no now we're going up!” Giggle said as the platform went back up.

“What the heck is going on?” Hot Sauce asked. “How in the world is this happening?!”

"It must be that pivot arm under us! It's tilting the ride on an axis like a Dreidel." Fury said.

Fury understood now. He could understand it. After all, whenever he ran down and up a hill sometimes he felt like he was floating for a moment, everything inside of him suddenly becoming lighter and making him feel fuzzy. It was just like that, but less natural.

The ride then made it to top speed, spinning like a wild tornado in the middle of a storm. The wind blew their manes and fur far out of shape, almost as if it were not even attached to them. This wild spinning went on for a few minutes, everything looking like a blur from their perspective before the ride soon realigned itself with the ground, opened the exterior door and let out the now spun up, messy haired, dizzied riders off.

Everyone had a look of shock at what they had just been through. No slides or crystalline mirrors could compare to feeling like wind.

The girls got off mostly unscathed. Cadence, Sporty and Giggle seemed like the least affected. Summer and Hot Sauce however, were a little more frazzled.

"Ugh, what a wild event. I've never been this bent out of shape since I made that ensemble for Sapphire Shores' Canterlot show." Summer said, trying to fix her mane.

"You can say that again, Summer. I'm just glad I didn't have a big lunch today." Hot Sauce said.

Sporty seemed confident with her achievements, being one of the less dizzy of the group. "Heh, you two look like you got attacked by an angry alley cat."

Cadence agreed with a chuckle. "I'd have to agree, you both have a rather funny look. But, you both look relatively stable on your hooves."

Giggle came up and wrapped a hoof around the princess with a laugh. "Well, you could say that about them, but I don't think the speed freak took it too well."

Everyone looked over to the ride and saw that just a bit further away, Fury had frazzled fur, was barely able to walk in a straight line, and his eyes spun around woozily.

“Woah… I'm seeing stars now. Hoo boy.” He said while heavily breathing.

“Fury, are you ok?” Hot Sauce asked. “You look like you just ate my sister's Haycake recipe.”

“Yeah! Yeah! I'm fine. I just have to take it all in. It was just a lot to take in for me with all these high octane speeds.” Fury said.

This left Sporty confused. "But… You can run past the sound barrier. And yet you don't become pale or whatever."

“I was confused about it at first. But then I realized it all makes sense. Running fast and being in this machine might seem similar, but one is me running at my own will, manipulating the atmosphere around my body to do so. A bit tough on my body at first but I'm in control. Turn to the vice versa, where the world is acting on me… Let's just say I'm not the cocky playful speedster I used to be. It's the world that’s cocky and playing with me." Fury said with a bit of a chill.

“I learn a new thing about you every day.” Cadence said. “And I guess my old buddies too.”

"Eh, you may learn some things about me, but not all of it. My favorite things, my strengths, weaknesses… My secrets." He whispered, hoping nopony would find it about a particularly potent technique that made him… vulnerable.

“Or how about what amuses you?” Giggle spoke up. “What gives you butterflies in your stomach? Or to get to the point, what makes you laugh?” She said closing in on Fury as she scrutinized him.

“Well I like pranks and puns. Also seeing Twilight get enraged at a wrong semicolon is kinda funny-”

“No no no no. I mean what makes you truly laugh? Like go all out without any control.” Giggle said only a few inches away from Fury. “Hmmm, you seem a bit tingly, Night Fury, from me being up close. A little sensitive to touch, perhaps?”

Fury saw where this was going and was internally in a panic. “Nope. I'm just a little sweaty from the ride, yeah.”

“Oh really? I understand. I guess not all of us can just laugh so quickly.”

“Yeah see, you get it-”

“Psyche!” Giggle quickly tickled Fury's armpit before he could even react.

“Ha ha ha ha! Hey hey hey! Oh gee! Ha ha!” Fury laughed. “What did you do that for?”

“To answer my question. And you just answered it.” She said with an evil grin.

Fury now knew she figured it out. That he was ticklish. “No… I was just thinking of a funny joke! Yeah! Totally!”

Giggle shook her head. “Sorry, but I can tell the source of one's laughs and I also know and desire to make you laugh even more.” She said getting into a pouncing position more akin to a feline.

“Don't you dare. Don't you even dare.” Fury said.

“I… DARE!”

Giggle jumped at Fury, grabbed his tail and tickled it extensively, making him helpless to her onslaught.

"Nohohohoahahahahaha! Oh come ohohohohon!" He squealed in embarrassment, now having had his greatest weakness revealed to Cadence's highschool squad.

“Silly Fury! Did you think you could hide your secret from little old me? I know when someone is weak to my tickling attack. Even the strongest can't resist.” Giggle said smugly.

The others were surprised and amused at this.

“Who would have thought the mighty warrior of the Speed Shifters would be ticklish?” Summer asked.

“Yep. Even the high and mighty.” Sporty said, vindicated at seeing Fury finally get humbled.

“Poor dear. But it is kind of funny, I have to admit. Just like the strongest warrior being defeated by a bit of my secret sauce.” Hot Sauce said.

“Okay okay, I admit it! I'm totally ticklish! Plehehease, just let go!” Fury begged, hoping for a merciful ending to the torture.

“Oh you will have mercy. But only if you do one thing for me.” Giggle said.

“Just tell me what to do and I'll do it!” Fury yelled out.

Giggle smiled deviously. “Okay! Just wear this!” She said taking out a big afro, large bowtie, large glasses and making him have a big smiley face.

Fury's face immediately went stone cold and looked at her with dead eyes. “You put that on me, I'll show you how many favorites I play when someone embarrasses me. Test your luck, I dare you. I might be silly sometimes but I have my limits.”

“Awww, don't be so grumpy. It's just a silly little face for a kitty-”

No thanks.”

Cadence shook her head. “You might not wanna go that far. It's not worth it. He has a lot of practice too.”

“You sure about that, Cady? The fuzzball hasn't shown anything worth that merit.” Sporty stupidly said, completely ignoring any sort of sugar coating.

“Oh, I just haven't had a reason to show any of you that side of me yet.” Fury said simply, sounding a lot less aggressive and surprisingly calm. “Trust me when I say, I am a ‘No Holds Barred’ type of guy. Test my patience, and I'll give you a demonstration on how to effectively give someone a compound fracture.”

“I-is that so?” Sporty said, a bit nervous.

“Cadence must have told you about how I race, about my endurance, my claws and about what I do with those who get too smart with me. Just wanted you to keep that in mind.” Fury said now with a grin that terrified her.

“Okay okay, um… I get the picture.” Sporty said. “Sorry about that.”

Fury shrugged. “No big deal, as long as you get the picture and know our boundaries. But enough talk. Where to next, Cadence?”

Cadence thought about it. “Well, I’ve only been to these areas. Let's just keep moving on and see if anything catches our interest.”

“Well, what are we waiting for?!” Giggle asked. “Tally ho! To the next destination of amusement!” She said running ahead.

“Hey, wait up!” Hot Sauce said.

They proceeded to walk through the carnival with their eyes peeled, waiting for something new to pop out at them. While walking through some of the rides, Fury had something catch his attention. Looking to his right, he saw a glowing building with what looked like mini cabinets in rows that were also glowing.

“Hey, what's that place?” He asked curiosity, pointing to the strange new attraction.

“Oh, that's the arcade. Tons of games to play that'll keep you on your tippy hooves. Nice catch.” Giggle said.

“Oh sweet I always liked a good arcade game!” Sporty said. “Nothing like trying to earn prizes through skill. Come on!” Sporty said more enthusiastically than she usually was.

“So right here we have air hockey, skeeball, the slammer with the hammer. And for the more advanced games, we have Donkey Ponk, Pac-Corn, Canterlot Invaders and so on! If you win in these you get some tickets and you get to win prizes.” Sporty said. “But you have to be skilled, some of these will challenge you. I spent many weeks trying to master these games and even more coins. And have garnered many high scores.” She said with a bit of pride.

“Well then, I can't deny myself a good challenge and some fine loot as a reward. Count me in. I'll gladly take each challenge. Now which one first.”

The curious feline wondered which of these games he should try. They all sounded fun but none of them felt like the “one”.

Fury said aloud. “I just want a game that really makes me feel like I'm in some intense situation. Like I'm hanging on for dear life. Something that makes me feel alive.”

He kept on looking and he was about to ask the others to pick one, but then he heard a cry of excitement. And Fury saw the intensity before him.

“No! No! Not the boulder! I'm so close! I just… No!” He heard a brown colt with a propeller cry out in agony. “Awww, I have to do it again!”

“Button, you have spent two hours playing that! I want to see the Crystal Palace now, you can do it later.”

“Awwww, mom!” He said as he was dragged off.

As the colt left, Fury was amazed at how the seat could move on its own. It was like he was staring into the future. From its sounds that reminded of his adventures to the jaw dropping realistic environments, he was amazed. He looked up to the top of the ride and saw what it was called.

“Typhoon…”

Cadence smiled. “This game was made recently. And it uses the most advanced gaming technology ponies can offer. Some ponies say it's a spell that transports you to another world. But this game is one of this arcade's most beloved hot spots.”

Fury smiled. “Say, no more, Lovebutt, you have me hooked. If it's a spell, I want to be affected right now cause I'm going in!”

Fury said, sitting on one of the seats.

“Oh wait, I don't have tickets.”

“Here, have some of mine.” Sporty said. “After all, I know a fellow adrenaline junkie when I see one. Think of it as an apology for being uncool.”

“Hey, thanks.” Fury said. He inserted the tickets. And the game began.

“SELECT YOUR EXPERIENCE.” A female voice said upon the tickets being inserted. Eight individual buttons lit up and the screen displayed the same amount of videos that acted as demos.

“Okay, let's see… Hot Rod, Space Ride, Air Wave…” Then Fury saw the last one, Haunted Mine.

“Woah, Haunted Mine!? Sign me up! Maybe I can find some diamonds and gold.” He said excitedly, pressing the eight button to start up the game.

After a bit of waiting, Fury was fixed on the world on screen in front of him.

Fury, now as the unknown character, walked through a fog blocking his path. The sounds of thunder put him on edge along with the dead trees beside him.

But as he kept on walking he came across a wooden outpost. Was this where the mine would be?

He kept on walking and came across a gate with a large sign that said KEEP OUT.

Fury scoffed at the sign. He was not going to let the allure of a haunted mine be stopped by some measly gate. He pressed on buttons hoping to be able to perhaps bash through the gate. Nothing worked.

Then all of a sudden, the gate burst open like an explosion. Fury wondered what happened. It turned out it was some old earth pony stallion who bucked the locked gate wide open.

Okay wasn't expecting that from an old guy like him. Fury said to himself. But wait he's completely see through! Is he a ghost?

“You’re the first to travel to this Celestia forsaken place. Howdy!” The stallion said hospitably, though Fury was a bit on edge.

“Rattlesnake Jack is my name and gold digging is my game. You better get out o’ here. Follow me and I'll give ya some shelter out of the storm.” Jack said, disappearing in a fading light. Fury was now moving slowly through this abandoned yard, thunder and lightning crashing above him as he slowly moved along.

He moved through the yard with caution, looking over the rusty rails and mine cars that sat still upon them. He moved over to one particular cart and decided to peer over it. But unknown to him, a surprise waited for him.

Out of the blue, the rotted and waterlogged wooden planks suddenly moved away and a rattlesnake popped its head up with an aggressive hiss. Shaking its rattle fiercely and staring at Fury, the feline became uneasy. Hissing more each second, the snake finally ran out of patience and strikes at him, a blue smoke coming out of its mouth.

Fury instantly jumped back and yelped, the snake scaring him a good deal. But as the blue smoke cleared from his vision, the snake was nowhere to be seen.

Where'd that snake go? Was it a ghost too?

Those questions didn't last long as he continued to move through the yard. Moving to another bit of rusted track, there was a hand cart that sat still and motionless. The unknown character then decided to board the cart, prompting Rattlesnake Jack to return on the opposite side.

“Just sit back and relax, I'll handle the rest.” Jack said, a clap of thunder and a flash of lightning going off as he began to laugh..

Gee thanks. That'll totally make me relax.

Then the cart began to slowly go forward, going past wooden posts supporting the cave, machinery and even the remains of skeletons of past travelers. Everything seemed weird, but it was all fine.

Then he came into darkness, and saw a gate in front of him. Which made Fury jump trying to find a way to get out. But luckily he just went through.

But even so he got more and more nervous. Then he saw a familiar sight.

“That storm's mighty loud. Looks like you're gonna be staying here for awhile. Heh heh heh. Might as well savor this place while you're still here! Have fun!” The ghost said before disappearing.

“Wow, really encouraging.” Fury said proceeding to see where this was going.

But as he was beginning to refocus on the train, the ghost appeared right in front of him much to Fury's displeasure.

“And just some advice from an old miner, everything that is shiny is not gold. Take care. Hah hah hah hah!” The miner laughed.

Then the minecart went on a decline and sped down, building up speed. And then he came across a boulder.

Oh no! I'm going to crash! He pressed a bunch of buttons to try to press every combination of buttons. But nothing would happen.

It's over!

But then the cart went backwards and the same for the motion platform. They both went backwards.

“Did I do that?!” Fury asked, turning to Cadence.

“Fury, you're thinking wrongly. The point of this game is just the experience. Just think of it like watching a movie.” She said.

Fury gulped and turned to the game screen leaving his own agency out the window. The boulder was quickly gathering speed. It would run him over at this rate. But then…

Bam!!!

The bridge collapsed in front of them, dropping the boulder into the abyss.

“Thank the emperor! I'm safe.” But then before Fury could get too relaxed, the cart changed from going reverse to going forward full speed ahead!

“Oh great I'm going to be a flat pancake now!” Fury said in horror anticipating a great fall. But in another twist of fortune, the cart built up so much speed that it leaped over the chasm. The character looked down into the black void, with Fury not knowing how to feel. Finally the cart landed back on the other side and he kept going.

“Oh, thank the emperor.” Fury said with a sigh of relief. “Are there any more great surprises?” Fury said with both annoyance and anxiety.

The others were somewhat bewildered. Fury normally was quite comfortable in high action scenarios. But Cadence realized maybe it was because unlike true games, Fury had no agency, no control. He just had to go with what the game decided, not him. Perhaps it would explain his uneasiness at some horror movies but in a horror game.

But in either case the cart kept going forward. Now it was quiet with all the gears and thingamajigs operating and bats going by. So far it seemed peaceful.

“I can finally relax just a bit- Is that another minecart?!”

Said item was heading right toward him and slam! His cart went back once again. It now seemed to be going a different route.

And another boulder rolled toward him. This time it did crash into the cart.

And Fury's character just tumbled all over the railroad, hoping he would not fall to the bottom. But he finally landed. It appeared to be a wooden box.

But he knew better than to think this was his moment of relief. For he heard exotic chanting. He wondered where it came from. He remembered how Applejack told him about the buffaloes and their chants.

“No… I'm on a buffalo tribal burial ground now?!”

The chanting got louder and the box descended downward with the character trapped in it. As he descended, it was as if he was descending into Tartarus itself. He could see different fires around him.

But then a large pillar activated by the mechanism of his cage destroyed the cage and he fell onto another path, this time wooden.

“Whoa!!!”

He slid down this wooden path, sometimes going through water, but with no change in speed. He could even see skeletons of bison with headdresses. Had he upset their spirits?

He slid down a slide of water now. With more skeletons near him. He kept on going and going. He wondered if it would ever end.

And now he was over lava and now he was in another elevator.

“Oh great! What's next? Spiders? Steam? Undead beats?” Fury asked himself.

Anticipating the worst, he went up and up. But then he saw nothing but a normal mine. Nothing happened. Fury wondered if the game had a glitch

Then the ghost appeared once more. “So was it fun or not? Ha ha ha! It's still raining outside, wanna go again?” The ghost asked joyously.

Fury was in awe. It was all just a game? He was sure the guy had some nefarious scheme. But it was just a way for him to see all the sights.

“Well Fury, what did you think of that?” Cadence asked.

Fury took a deep breath. “Wow. That was something. I was on the front of my seat there. Never thought something could surprise me like that. And honestly?” Fury then smiled. “I think that was really crazy! Ha ha ha! It's not everyday I feel like my life is on the line.”

“I thought for a moment you felt like you wanted to leave.” Summer said.

“Leave?! No. I like being a bit uneasy at times. I don't feel weirded out by manticores but put me in a cart like that and I feel intensity. And as long as it isn't real then I can welcome that eerie feeling. Heh maybe that's why I like Luna even in her nightmare form.” Fury said now relaxed.

“You're an interesting fellow, Night Fury.” Summer said with a chuckle. “The more I get to know you, the more intriguing you are. Oh how I would love to make a suit for you.”

“Speaking of which, where will we go next?” Hot Spice asked.

“Hmmm, Cadence wondered. “We need a real game now. But shall it be arcade or something more mechanical?”

Fury just lied back and sighed. “How about we let one of your gal pals decide the next one. I can't think straight after a game like that.”

The others began to look around the arcade for their next venture. Sporty looked over and saw one of her favorite games: Prance Prance Revolution.

“Okay, everyone feast your eyes on a true challenge.” Sporty said.

“What's this supposed to be?” Hot Sauce asked.

Sporty smile grew even larger. “Only the catchiest game ever devised. A challenge of one's stamina. Prance Prance Revolution.”

“Sounds like a mouthful. What's it supposed to be?” Fury asked as he approached the machine.

“Okay, so while listening to some catchy Neighponese tunes, you and preferably another pony step on each of the steps that glow. You'll see which ones to do on the screen in front of you.”

“Oh, okay, I get it. Sounds easy enough to understand. Just tap your feet to the beat. Sounds catchy.” Fury said, curious but not expecting a challenge.

Sporty would not let that assumption stand. “Oh, it's not just catchy. It'll make you go crazy. It starts off easy but then your stamina will be tested as you see a bunch of arrows in front of you. Do not underestimate this game or you’ll lose hard.” She said intensely.

Fury smiled. “Okay, now, you got me hooked. I'm going to show my stuff right here. But! I need a rival to challenge myself. Who here wants to have a go with me? Will you, Sporty?”

Sporty shook her head. “I haven’t done it in a while. I want to practice before I try out. Besides I might be pretty good, though I'm nowhere as good compared to a friend of mine.” She said looking at the princess of love.

“Wait wait wait. Cadence? You've played this Prance Prance uh game before?” Fury asked.

Cadence nodded with pride. “Yep. Me and Sporty would always challenge each other. It was fun and also some practice for reflexes in battle.”

“But unlike me, who focused more on marathons, Cadence never stopped PPR. She and her hubby like to challenge each other. So she's still good.”

“Who would have thought Shining would actually be into dancing?” Fury said amused at the idea of a military guy like him dancing.

“Good for marching and again reflexes in battle.” Cadence clarified. “And good for yours too.” Then her face turned competitive. “So ambassador, are you ready to dance or are you scared to go face a pro like me?”

“Bah! I might be new to this game, Lovebutt, but I've been in enough quick scenarios to know how to get the beat. So let's do it.”

Fury and Cadence proceeded to go to the two areas. They inserted tokens. And the screen popped up with the different song options.

“I bet for sure Cadence will beat this rookie.” Sporty whispered.

“Maybe, but I like to root for the new guy. Fury has spunk after all.” Giggle said.

“Wanna bet? 50 bits for whoever wins.” Sporty asked

“Deal.”

For the two dancers they took a deep breath, picked their song, and the music pumped out.

The music blasted out. The steps appeared on the screen.

Aiyaiyaiyai!

Aiyaiyaiyai!

Where's my samurai?

The directions came. Fury was able to get into the beat. So far it seemed easy enough. And this music didn't seem as intense as Sporty was making it.

But then the next part of the song came and the steps sped up.

I've been searching for a stallion
All across Neighpon
Just to find, to find my samurai.
Someone who is strong but someone who is a little shy.
Yes, I need my samurai!

“Doh! I missed it!” Fury said. “Come on, why is it going so fast?!” He couldn't keep up with the fast pace. He didn't expect such a girly song to have such a fast and intense beat.

I've been searching in the woods.
And high upon the hills
Just to find, just to find my samurai
Someone who won't regret
To keep me in his net
Yes I need, I need my samurai.

“You think it's so easy now, Fury?” Cadence asked.

Fury tries to keep up with his cotton candy colored friend, but it is no use. With everything he had, he tried to catch up. But the only thing he managed to do was slip and land on his back by the time the song ended.

Ai yai yai yai I'm your little butterfly.
Green black and blue
Make the colors in the sky

“Dohhh… Kibblebits!” Fury yelled, keeping his more vulgar language in check for the younglings’ sakes.

“You did it Cadence! You showed him the art of PPR!” Sporty said before turning to an unusually annoyed Giggle.

“You know what that means. So pay up.”

“Mmmm…” Giggle mumbled, pouting. But before she could give her the 50 bits…

“Okay! Hold up! I can't stand for this!” Fury said. “Times like these call for desperate measures. I call double or nothing and double pony dare!”

Everyone gasped at the brash move made by the feline on his back. Not only did he want to go double or nothing, but he double pony dared the dance champion, Cadence, to do it! And as many knew, breaking a double pony dare is almost as bad as going up and straight insulting the Royal Sisters to their faces.

“Fury, it's just a silly arcade game.” Summer said. “You don't have to go that far…”

“Not to me, sweetheart. I may not have been in highschool with the pink puffball, but I've known her for long enough to know that she holds double pony dares as closely as a newborn.”

Cadence smiled. “Right you are about that, my feline friend. If you dare me to win then by Celestia I will gladly accept your challenge. Just know that the loser has to accept the dishonor of losing. And owe the winner one request to do whatever he or she wants. Do you understand?” She said, extending her hoof out.

“Till my death I will honor your commitment, Cadenza.” Fury replied, gripping hard and shaking firmly. He got back up and stood in his spot, another set of coins entering their respective slots. This time it was the feline who chose the song, and one caught his attention the most.

Fluctuation? Sounds like some techno biss. Perfect.

Fury selected the song and the two got in place to make their moves. By now, word got around about the challenge and a small group gathered to check out the action.

The music started, low and soft. Synthwave type wubs and distortion took over for the first few seconds, setting the scene before the beeps kicked in. Starting out muffled, the directions popped on screen. They followed them easily, bringing them into rhythm.

The muffled sound didn't last for long as the sound picked up and the moves increased speed. Nothing major so far, but Fury knew he had to be prepared for the worst. Coming up to the best drop, two sets of arrows came on screen, indicating they had to hit both at the same time.

“Okay, so now the big challenge is here.” Fury found it now harder to dance at its faster speed and heightened beat. But he tried his best to match the song move for move, going hoof to paw with his pink pony gal pal.

However he managed to miss a few times and his worry was setting in. He was focused on the dancing in front of him but he could hear Cadence's hoof beats. She was not letting up.

Fury was starting to sweat. Will I have to be dishonored by her? Does my claim to the title of all mighty mean nothing in the arcade?

No. I didn't train all this time under the emperor to be outdanced. But how? Fury then remembered how the Emperor would teach him to clear his thoughts and just go with the flow.

He closed his eyes, and took in the music, every beep and flow. Every wub, scratch, pop, bass blast and wave seemed to guide his body more so than he did himself.

Fury gave a cocky smile that he was more known for. He swiftly tapped each of the pads, this time not missing a beat.

“Is that the same Fury who missed all the beats last time?! Either that's a Changeling battling Cadence or he's going for his redemption arc!” Giggle said proudly, getting the small crowd that gathered to cheer for him with enthusiasm.

“Go Fury! Go Fury! You've got the moves!”

Cadence was now the one struggling. She didn't expect Fury to learn from his mistakes this quickly.

The two competitors rapidly danced, not even noticing the crowd around them. Ponies could swear they heard thunder from the dance floor.

Now reaching the end of the song, the beat was in full swing. Fury was in his mojo, going shot for shot with the dance moves while Cadence was the one slipping up. He even had the confidence to start breakdancing on the spot while still maintaining his score streak.

“Come on Cadence! You can't let this rookie show us up!” Sporty cried out.

“I'm trying… But I'm falling apart…”

After a few more intense pounding seconds went by, the song finally reached its end. With a slow piano playing, the two dancers’ hearts beat in anticipation.

When the song finally ended, Fury landed a final stylish backflip to claim his victory. The landing was so stylish that Cadence slipped off the platform and now it was her that was on her back, panting and worn out from trying to keep up.

The crowd cheered for the true winner.

“Yeeeah baby! Looks like I brought it back! You know what that means… Pay up, Sporty!”

“Grrrr… fine, but don’t think this means anything!” Sporty said as she handed over the bits she promised. “You happy now, Giggle?”

“Most definitely.” Giggle said with a smug cocky grin. “But I think someone is going to have to owe Fury a favor.” She said, eyeing an exhausted Cadence.

“Fine, Fury, what do you want from me? You get double honor after all.”

“Hmmm, good question, my new subject. What I order you is-”

Before he could say anything though, his stomach, as well as defeated rival's, rumbled. They had played so intensely they forgot how hungry they were until now.

“Woah… Heh, I guess we ran our course to the bitter end, eh Cady?” Fury asked.

The love princess chuckled as she got back on her hooves. “Too true. Looks like we've both run out of fuel. Whaddya say we grab some well deserved grub, huh?”

All his friends nodded. They could use something appetizing.

“But where do we go?” Sporty asked. “I'll eat anything at this point.”

“Ooh, I've got an idea!” Fury called out. “I've been meaning to show off some of my newly acquired skills I've been teaching myself, not to mention my creative vision. How about we head back to the castle and I'll show off a bit?”

“Okay. We'll see if you can compare to Hot Sauce’s food though.” Summer said.

“Well I guess I've got my work cut out for me then. C'mon, let's go.” Fury said, directing the group back towards the Crystal Palace.

Back at the Crystal Palace…

“Even now, I still can't get over how beautiful your Crystal Palace is!” Summer complimented.

Cadence smiled. “Oh please. It's nothing.”

Cadence, Fury and the others were in the Crystal Palace which was the same illustrious building as before. While everyone was in awe, what they were really searching for was food of which they wanted to oversee its production.

They went into the Palace’s kitchen and everyone marveled at its smells and the size of the kitchen.

“Ah, this place brings back good memories.” Fury said, licking his lips. “I can still taste the cake, sweets and cheese to this day.”

“Oh I remember you coming in here, alright.” Cadence said with a chuckle. “Trying to get a bite of my leftover wedding cake.”

“Well that's a little impolite.” Summer said with a grunt.

“Eh, he's probably over it.” Hot Sauce said.

“Nope, I'd do it again except more sneakily next time.” He said with a cheek grin. “But enough reminiscing of past delights. It's time for the present.” He said licking his lips and heading into the pantry.

He got some supplies from there. And then he took out his own bag, to take out his own hometown foods.

“I had a family friend send some of the home goods for me. Ya know, just in case I felt like I needed a little bit of something to freshen up my day.”

He opened the bag. “Oh yeah, I have the good stuff. Some cheese, spices, fish, beef, oooh even some eggs-”

“This is fish and beef? Are you trying to make us vomit?” Sporty asked.

“Don't be rude, Sporty!” Summer snapped like an aggravated mother. “We may not like what he eats on the regular, but we know better than to criticize. He is a predator after all.”

“Fine. Sorry.” Sporty said.

“Thanks Summer, but I'm not offended. I find Sporty's face of disgust too funny to do so.” Fury said laughing to Sporty's embarrassment.

“You're very smart at the mouth, you know that?” Hot Sauce said with a smirk.

“Yep! That's why I'm the ambassador! I got a way with words. For better or worse.” Fury said with a chuckle. “But let's not dwell on that I got some food to eat! Let's get the plates.”

Everyone got some plates, made out of different crystals of different colors.

“Okay ladies, here's the deal. We're all gonna make our own sub sandwiches, sauce and all. Make whatever you want. Daffodils, Lilies, Rosemary… just go nuts. Then we'll all compare and see who's got the goods to stand up against the rest.”

“Oh you're on.” Hot Sauce said. “I've had experience in cooking class and to serve good food to our colts in battle. I know how to make a mean meal for them including Shining Armor. I hope you'll be ready.”

Fury had to admit it was interesting that he was competing with someone with experience but he did not fear.

“Oh, don't get cocky, my mom and I cooked some equally mean meals. So don't think you'll win.” Fury shot back.

Cadence then spoke up. “Okay everyone get your ingredients ready. On the count of three. You will have ten minutes to make the best submarine sandwich you can. Are you ready to go?”

Everyone nodded.

“Okay then, on the count of three. One, two, three, go!” Cadence yelled out.

Fury took a loaf of bread and sliced it in half with his claws. He then took some tomatoes and cheese and sliced them too.

He also placed some rosemary for nice adversity. But that was only one side. One the other, he squirted some mustard on and spread some mayo with it. From his bag, he grabbed some thin ham slices and a red sausage that his kind called “Pepperoni”. Laying them out on top of each other, he took some crinkle cut pickles and added them to give some juiciness. Lastly, to finish off the other side, he put some salt and pepper on to add some spice.

He was on a roll, going back to the mainly veggie side to add to what he already put on. Daffodils, Roses, Lilies, and a special snack made of potatoes that he adored but ponies hadn't heard of yet.

Cadence had to admit she was astonished at the sandwiches everyone was making. With Hot Sauce she seemed to be adding several spices and hot sauce. Although she was familiar with it ever since school. But Fury's sandwich was especially interesting. While she had to get used to the meat, the fact Fury was using even ingredients his normal self didn't like was fascinating. But the biggest mystery was what those long brownish yellow sticks he put in that sandwich was.

“Alright, time’s up!” Cadence said. “Let's see all our sandwiches.”

The sandwiches were done. Giggle's had some… cookies in them? Cadence made one with a crystal as a spice, Summer made a fashionable cucumber sandwich with some exotic cheese that looked straight out of Canterlot, Sporty made what looked like an extended hayburger with basic stuff like tomatoes and cheese, Hot Sauce made one with a lot of spices, some peppers and some sort of red sauce with even the cheese having spices, and Fury had his strange half veggie half meat sub.

“It looks like we have some interesting competition today.” Cadence said, glancing at the sandwiches.

But who is the winner? Hot Sauce asked herself. Is it my sandwich? Or the others?

“I had the foresight to have some judge come over.” Cadence said as an old stallion with an old style hat and suit walked over with an inquisitorial eye. “He will decide which of the sandwiches look the best. I hope you are ready for some cold hard truth.”

The old food judge looked carefully at each sandwich with a stoic look that betrayed no emotion.

“You can't be serious…” Fury said. “You expect me to think that this old rust bucket with legs has even the slightest bit of competence? He's probably biased! And as you can all see, you know where that lies.”

“Well, with that attitude I bet I know where his bias will lie against.” Summer said, getting a menacing growl from the recipient of the comment.

“Now, now, this judge has been in the business for awhile. He knows not to let pettiness or race cloud his judgment. He will be completely fair.” Cadence said.

“Shhhhhh!!!” The old judge hissed. He then took a big sniff of the sandwiches, grasping their creations and inspecting them.

“Interesting.” He said as he approached Hot Sauce's. But then after he smelled Fury's sub, he opened his eyes and his stoic expression faltered at the sight of the yellow rectangles.

“May I ask, Fury, what these rectangles are? I assumed they were cheese or a vegetable but it smells more like a potato.” He said.

“Those would be fries. Potatoes cut up and, as the name suggests, fried in oil. They are one of our favorite treats in our village. I’m sure anyone can enjoy them. Please, try some.” Fury offered, holding a pouch of them.

“Hmmmm. Very well.” He ate some. Fury also gave him some barbecue to dip them in. His expression seemed stoic still but he could swear he saw a surprise from his eyes.

“Thank you very much.” The judge said. He then silently looked at each sandwich. Everyone waited anxiously for his judgment, the air seeming to crackle with anticipation and ambition.

“Alright, I have made my choice.” The judge said. “All of you have made interesting choices. But of all these choices the one that most pleases is…”

“Ambassador Night Fury of Thunder Hollow!”

“Whoa, really?” Fury asked. “What was so special about mine?”

“I could say it was the extra vegetables you put in, or the smell of your village’s sauce, even the meat added an interesting aroma even if I will never eat it. But no. It was these fries as you call them. They add an exotic look to the sub and by themselves they may not have so much flavor but they instead have texture. A soft texture on the inside but a crunchy exterior. It displays the contrasting nature between the different ingredients. A brilliant allegory!” The judge said with passion.

“Uh thanks, but I didn't intend some fancy philosophical message. I just thought it looked cool and would add to the flavor.” Fury said bluntly.

“Well whether you intended or not, you seemed to know about how flavors combine with each other. And that is to be praised.” The judge said. “So you boy, have won the day.”

“Yes!” Fury said, “Nothing like some good fries as mom would tell me.”

“I must admit I'm pretty curious about what these fries are like.” Summer said.

“Yeah me too.” Sporty concurred.

“Let us try some!” Giggle asked.

“Maybe I could use them for my next recipe?” Hot Sauce wondered aloud.

“Well, will you be a dear and give me and my friends your special fries?” Cadence asked.

“Gotcha covered, ladies!” Fury said confidently, obtaining a basket full of the things and sliding it into the middle for them to have with their subs.

“Eat up while they're warm!” Fury said. Each of the mares took some fries and ate them.

“Ooooooo!” Giggle said. “This feels so weird but I like it!”

“I love the crunch mixed with tenderness.” Summer said.

“The saltiness is a marvel of culinary ingenuity, I love it!” Hot Sauce commented.

“Why on Earth were we so blind? We've been eating hay fries all our lives when this could have been our greatest food! Though I must concede and give props to its true creators.” Cadence said dramatically.

“Yeah it’s f-f-fine I guess. It’s just okay.” Sporty said, looking away while eating three more.

“Awww, too bad you don't like it.” Fury said. “Cause I'm just going to have to throw away this barbeque sauce straight from my mom's kitchen.”

“No, I'm sorry! Let me have it!” Sporty said desperately.

“That's more like it, eat up!” Fury said.

When they ate the fries with barbeque their eyes lit up even more. These fries could be the vessel for any sauce to work its magic. Everyone was pleased even Sporty didn't hide her satisfaction.

“Your mom really taught you well, Fury. I'll have to meet your mom someday.” Hot Sauce said.

“Oh I'm sure you will. Just remember she can be a bit… bossy.” Fury said.

“Eh, I've had many grumpy customers to deal with. I'll be fine.” Hot Sauce said.

“That's good but now it's time to chow down on our own sandwiches! Let's dig in.” Fury said.

Everyone ate their individual sandwiches as well as trying putting their fries in the sandwiches and everyone was delighted. A nice meal for all of them.

“This was a great idea, whiskers. I'd have never thought of this in a million years!” Sporty said.

“It helps to have a village with the craziest chefs and food connoisseurs you can think of. Food is our game. After all, we gotta fill ourselves up after a good marathon.” Fury said.

Then Cadence got up and stretched her arms. “Well… I think it's time we go now. I'm stuffed.”

“Yeah, it was great and all, but even my stomach is done with food.” Fury said.

“Hold on a second. These fries, they're so good and tasty. Do the princesses know about these bad boys?” Sporty asked.

Fury’s eyes opened wide. Now that he thought about it. He never once mentioned them.

“By the gods. I have made a mistake. I've not shown them such beautiful wonders. I just took them for granted.” Fury said. “When's the next train for Canterlot due?”

“Funny you should say that. It's actually at night. So in a few hours.” Cadence said.

“Then I guess there's no time to waste. I'm gonna show those two what we've been creating!” Fury said confidently. But then, he let out a sudden yawn.

“But first, I think I've earned myself a little cat nap. Wake me up when the train’s here.” Fury said, waddling his way to one of the Crystal Palace’s guest rooms.

“Already? Fury just did all that crazy action and ate like a maniac and now he's about to go to sleep?” Hot Sauce said.

“Yep. Fury's used up a lot of energy and he's ready to crash. You won't find someone who will run so fast and sleep twice as hard as Fury. Well, except maybe Rainbow Dash.” Cadence chuckled, watching as her feline friend sleepily walked off.

Hours later…

By the time Fury had gotten to Canterlot, the sun was just setting below the horizon. He knew in his mind he had plenty of time to find the sisters, but at that point, he had just woken up from a nap on the way there. Perhaps those subs had more of an effect on him than he realized?

He shook off the last of his drowsiness and went for the castle. His red aura lit up the streets like a shining star, the remaining ponies still up and about getting a beautiful view of his lit up figure gliding along the streets.

“Is that Night Fury?”

“Look at that light of his!”

“I wish I could glow like that.”

“If only he could be mine. I wouldn't have to pay for electricity then!”

Though his hearing would have picked up on the various comments made by the ponies he flew by, he was too focused on bringing his people's wares to the princesses. Looking up towards the city's higher architecture, he saw three familiar blobs above him. Focusing in, he realized that not only were both Celestia and Luna out on the balcony of one of the towers, their mother was there too.

“Bingo, three for three! Let's see if I can catch them up.” Fury said, going falcon and taking flight. Flying up and around the buildings, he could see the balcony getting closer and closer. But as a more stylish entry, we went straight up and decided to show off.

Unaware of the incoming bird, the Royal Sisters and their mother stood above the city and looked on at the rising moon, which was of course being controlled by the smallest of the three.

“Great job, Luna, you've grown so much since you were a filly.” Lauren said.

“Thank you mother, I find the moon very comforting on these clear nights.” Luna replied with a smile. Then Celestia spoke up.

“I'm sorry, but is it just me or do you both sense another presence nearby?” She asked. Her sister and mother both nodded at that question and began to wonder to themselves. As alicorns, they seemed to have developed some sort of sixth sense for detecting others nearby. Perhaps rulers of old passed down this trait through the royal family?

These questions would soon be answered as a black bird shot up from below, making a turn to fly across the moon’s path. As it passed by and the princesses recovered from their initial shock, they got a flash of red. A glowing lightning strike soaring across the sky, matching contrails following it from what seemed to look like a pair of talons.

“Well, well, I see it's none other than your dearly beloved Night Fury.” Lauren said.

“That he indeed is.” Luna said as she saw the black bird finally landing.

“Well, happy to see my show ladies?” Fury asked, transforming back to his normal self.

“Fury, you have truly shown such great splendor and wonder! It is like seeing an aurora!” Luna said excitedly. “You truly know how to make me delighted.”

“Oh trust me, there are more ways that I can make you want me.” Fury said in a low voice, glowing a sultry maroon as opposed to his energetic hotrod red.

As those words reached her ears, she immediately started to blush. Her body temperature rose as well, forcing her to fan herself to cool off. And if it wasn't for his and the other alicorn’s keen eyes, he probably would have missed a slight adjustment to her hind legs.

“I rest my case.” Fury said with a smirk. “I bet you were just dying to see me all this time, huh?”

“Mmmm, maybe just a little.” Luna said, playing coy. “I must say you do know how to make an entrance, my Lightning Bug.”

“I have to agree with her, Fury.” The white alicorn said. “You know how to make a surprise. I didn't realize it was you until the last moment. I'm impressed though I do wonder why you chose today to go to Canterlot unless you have something special in mind.” She said with a smirk.

Fury grinned widely. “As observant as ever, old lady. Well to answer your question, I bring forth gifts from the Crystal Empire’s kitchen. A delicious one. Behold!”

The shifter took out his bag and showed them a sub sandwich.

The princesses were now confused. This is what he went to Canterlot for?

“You brought…a submarine sandwich?” Celestia asked, a bit confused. “I mean I know they taste good, but it's hardly anything new.”

“Not impressed? Well, let me tell you it's not just any ordinary sub sandwich. It's what's inside that's the kicker!”

He pulled back the top and revealed the inside. Not much to their surprise, there was an assortment of items he would eat on the regular. But then they noticed the sacred fries.

Luna sniffed them. “I've… never seen or smelled these in all the centuries I've lived. Is this some sort of vegetable grown in your village?”

“Not even close. They're something much more special. You see, I've always found it weird that you guys have hay fries and hay bacon which… Now that I think about it, it would always sound weird to a predator. But anyway, I decided to run an experiment. What if everything you had wasn't made of hay? So, I made a few calls to some family friends and got these imported from home. Fries made from potatoes.”

“Potatoes? These are potatoes?” Faust asked. “I guess I can smell it. Is it truly as good as you say it is.”

“That and more.” Fury answered. “It's all in the texture. You'll know what I mean. Try one.”

Fury quickly gave each of the three a fry first with no sauce but some salt.

When the three ate them, they ate slowly and noticed the interplay of a crunchy outside and soft inside. They found it fun to just eat.

“Well, what do you gals think?” Fury asked.

“I've never felt anything like this!” Luna said. “It feels so good.”

Celestia nodded, still taking time to eat her fry.

“Celestia, we have to get the next fry.” Faust reminded her daughter.

“Oh, sorry.” Celestia said, blushing a bit.

“I guess that answers what you thought of it, Tia.” Fury said. “But! What happens if you dip these little fellas in some sauce? Ketchup, barbecue, mustard? Try one of them and your life will never be the same again, I assure you.” Fury said.

They all took one of each and tried them. As soon as they got a taste of this new invention, it was like the gods had blessed them with a savior to all flavor boredom. From the tanginess of ketchup to the sweetness of barbeque to the spice of mustard they had found this humble little fry perform wonders in their mouths.

“This is amazing! We must figure out how to make this widespread.” Luna suggested. “For the sake of not just us royals, but for the benefit and happiness of all ponykind.”

“Luckily for you lovely ladies, I got the receipt for them right here. Courtesy of my mom's old cooking partner, Sweet Spot. Together they made some great meals that I learned too.” Fury said with pride. “But, it will take a lot of learning to get them just right. And luckily for you confused mares, Fury will show you and your cooks. Follow me!”

Everyone followed suit. Fury could remember the place where the castle kitchen was like the back of his paw. He wasted no time in opening the doors and getting the supplies needed to show his process to the princesses.

“Alright, now that I've got all I need, I'm gonna show ya what it looks like to create a masterpiece.”

Fury started with three simple potatoes and laid them down across the counter.

“The trick that mom told me is to cut it almost like it's a square. The fries are rectangular, so all you have to do is ignore the odd shape of what you're starting with and visualize what they'll look like afterwards. And I just so happen to be very skilled with a knife, so…”

Fury grabbed the sharpest knife that was close and went to work. Within seconds, the first potato was already turned into the familiar rectangular shapes that the fries were known for. Not too much later, all three were in perfect order and ready to be prepared for the next step.

“Now these strips of potato are nothing special. At least not yet. What we need now is to batter them in some oil.” Fury said, getting a pot ready.

“You gals wouldn't have a tub of oil lying around, would ya?”

“Second freezer, third row back. Bright yellow tub, can't miss it.” Celestia answered.

Fury excitedly found it, licking his lips eager to show off this recipe he had learned to the uninitiated.

“Alright I'll just heat up this pot. Since I'm a Shifter and an All Powerful, this won't require any gas burners.” Fury poured a good amount of oil into the pot and placed the tub aside. Rubbing his paws together like defibrillator pads, he charged his paws to a decent amount and touched them to the pot. Red light shone through the oil for a moment before instantly being brought to a boil.

“Amazing, your powers are just as powerful in combat as they are in peace.” Celestia commented.

“Not everything about lightning has to be so dangerous~” He said, charging a toe and booping Celestia's nose.

“Eep!”

“But it is always shocking.” Fury said with a chuckle in which Celestia rolled her eyes while amused.

After some time had passed, the fries were properly baked. The princesses knew they were in for a treat just from the smell of the battered fries alranchHe set them in a basket and displayed them for all to see, steaming and perfectly fried.

“They look just lovely.” Faust said. “I can already taste it.” She said, reaching out for the fries.

“Ah ah ah!” Fury said, grabbing her arm. “No fry is complete without two things. Salt and some sauces.”

The feline got out some packets of various sauces he knew well.

“We got our mustard, ketchup, ranch, sour cream, barbecue and many many more. Of course I could just throw these sauces out if you want-”

Luna slammed her hoof on the counter. “I demand you give us these sauces right now, dear! We crave good taste.”

“Wait a second and you'll get it, hiss bit. Be patient for one in your life, huh moonbutt?”

“Very well. But I hope these sauces are of high quality worth waiting for.” Luna said, arms crossed.

“Oh I will Luna. Oh yes I will.” Fury said with a large grin as he got back to preparing the meal. Each sauce had its own respective cup to hold it, a decent drizzle of salt on top of the delectable fries. All were arranged in a circle around the basket, free for the choosing of any of them.

He knew of the value of delay. To make his new connoisseurs water for these treats. Even Faust seemed desperate for some fries and sauces.

“Here ladies, tonight you have dinner of the highest caliber. Be ready for a feeling like never before.”

Before the princesses said anything, he slid some sauces and fries to each princess. Ranch for Celestia, barbeque for Luna and ketchup for Faust.

“Bon appetit! Now try out your chef's food! See if it fits my mom's expectations.”

They each took out a fry, poured some salt, dipped them in their respective sauces and put them into their mouths.

“Amazing.” Celestia said

“Truly divine!” Luna yelled in joy.

“You've done great!” Faust said. “You knew what we wanted and you knew how to get us into these fries. You did quite well!”

Fury bowed. “Thank you. Thank you very much. Your proud chef acknowledges your gratitude for our Shifter cooking. Now you can share this with others. I bet Luna's guards would appreciate these!” Fury said, almost like he was on a cooking show.

“We must incorporate this into our kitchens as well as internationally! This could be a revolution!” Luna proclaimed dramatically.

“I must agree. Something of this stature must be shown to the rest of the culinary world.” Celestia said. “I suppose you will be heading home after our get together, Fury?”

“Actually, no. That last train home already left and any other choice of getting around isn't a good idea.” He said.

“He's right. It's much too dangerous for him to be running or flying drowsy, especially at this time of night.” Faust agreed.

“Hit the nail on the head, Lauren. You guys don't mind if I crash here, do you? It would be fun to spend time here with you guys after all.” He asked, almost sounding nervous.

The sound of his wavering voice made the solar princess stop eating. In ear shattering silence, she stood up, walked around to where he sat, levitated him over his seat, took it and sat him down in her lap while wrapping him in the most heartfelt embrace she could muster.

“Night Fury, you are more than welcome to stay here. It should be of no concern to you whether you can choose to remain here in any situation. We would be delighted to receive you.” Celestia said.

“As will I.” Faust added.

“Anything for you, Lightning Bug.” Luna agreed, giving him a peck on the cheek.

“Thanks. It always feels good to know you have my back after all this time. Now, how about we just enjoy tonight with what we have, huh?” Fury asked, the other princesses and their mother agreeing with his statement. As they ate, they converted on how they're days had gone. Bringing up the highs and lows of their experiences while cracking the occasional joke.

Fury was glad this day went well, it felt very refreshing to not have to worry about his responsibilities for once. As the thought crossed his mind, he realized that he really hadn't been thinking about his ambassadorship all day. And to his surprise, he felt lighter at the shoulders.

Wow, I guess Twilight was right. Maybe I have been working too hard lately. I haven't had a single speck of anything reminiscent of my ambassador duties cross my mind and… I do truly feel better about myself. Perhaps I should look into the other things I've been worrying about? The use of my bits, lessening the need to only use them for business and politics? I'll have to sleep on this.

Everything that he had thought about ran through his head and took front and center. Perhaps he could allow himself a little shopping spree and give himself some (although very late) birthday presents to himself. Celestia and Luna have both made it a point to tell him that his supplement fund is not restricted to just his ambassadorship and keeping bills paid. He could transfer a few hundred to his checking account to spend.

All of this was good to remember, a solid point to be brought up for debate. But that could be saved for another time.

PreviousChapters Next