• Published 29th Jul 2021
  • 1,524 Views, 69 Comments

To Equestria And Beyond (Rewrite In Progress) - NightFurySpeedey8156

  • ...
21
 69
 1,524

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 31: History In The Making

"Ugh. My head…"

The young Speed Shifter held his head in one of his paws as he sat up in bed. The day before had been a nightmare, with his head in a slurry of pain and his stomach heaving up what he had the day of the tryouts nonstop. While he had to admit that he had taken the apple cider too far, he wasn't sorry for having such a good time.

"Boy, that cider really is a punch to the gut. It's a good thing Luna decided to stay with me and take care of me. She's so sweet." Fury said, smiling at his royal girlfriend's hospitality.

He then heard footsteps approaching him. It was none other than his dearly beloved coming in to check on him.

"Are you still feeling unwell, lightning bug?" Luna asked.

"Well, I'm still feeling like a train hit me in the head. But, I don't feel like there's a whirlpool in my stomach anymore at least." Fury chuckled.

Luna smiled.

"That's good news. I'm happy you are not completely out of it. Especially compared to last night."

"Wait, speaking of which, I didn't do anything too weird right? I mean maybe my All Powerful nature makes me resistant. " Fury asked hopefully.

Luna simply shook her head.

"Powerful in combat, weak in drinking. No Fury, you had gone as mad as a wolf looking at the full moon. You literally flirted with Cadence and Celestia and then you attacked Twilight to save her from some leprechauns. And that is what happened."

Fury facepalmed in embarrassment.

"Oh sweet mother nature, what was I doing? I'll be sure to send them some apology gifts for that. It's our tradition for Speed Shifters to give gifts of apology."

Luna nodded.

"That is a noble custom and idea. Perhaps we ponies should learn from it." Luna said, appreciating his noble gesture. "But let me ask. Leprechauns?" She asked incredulously.

"Lyra. She's convinced that the little green dudes are gonna overthrow the government or something. And that's nothing compared to what she thinks about these things called 'Humans'. She's a nice mare as is, but she's a little frantic sometimes."

Luna laughed at this absurdity.

"My goodness, ponies in Ponyville really are insane!"

"Well some of them." Fury said. "For me, she basically insisted I read her pamphlet. I didn't wanna be rude so I read through it. I'll admit I did enjoy it but mostly for a laugh. Don't tell her I did that though." Fury said.

"It is probably for the best that she doesn't know." Luna chuckled.

"Yeah. Hey, is it just me, or does it feel like I'm forgetting something?"

"Really, what could have slipped your mind?" Luna asked.

"I don't know, but it feels like it's something important. Like something I should be doing right now, but I can't put my paw on it…" Fury said, pondering before turning to Luna.

"You wouldn't happen to know what time it is?" Fury asked, trying to piece things together.

"It's about 10:35, why?" Luna answered. Fury took a second to think before coming to a shocking realization.

"Sweet Celestia, the Equestria Games! I almost forgot that it was today! Ugh, stupid drunk brain making me forget things! No time for breakfast, gotta pack my things and get moving!" Fury called out, practically jumping out of bed and racing around his villa to pack his bags.

"Okay, energy drinks, check! Protein bars, check! Team outfit, check! Train ticket, check! Realization that I may have almost screwed over the team again, check!" Fury said, grabbing his duffel bag and looking at his girlfriend.

"Sorry to leave you in a flash, but the team needs its dirt track runner! I'll see you in the Crystal Empire, laters!" Fury said, disappearing with a door slam and the distant whirring of his powers.

"Triumph over your foes!" Luna said as he left.

Fury was frantic as he bolted through town, his windy aftershock blasting whoever was in his path. He soon made it out of the town's limits and ran towards the train station. With a few strong breaths, he jumped in the air, got his ticket punched mid-flip by the conductor, and smoothly landed next to Fluttershy with a thump.

"Ahhh! Don't hurt me!" Fluttershy panicked before seeing who it was. "Oh, it's just you. Sorry, but I can't believe you made that jump though. That seems dangerous!"

"When you're like me, you can make any jump with the smoothest moves." Fury boasted. Then Rainbow Dash noticed him as the train began moving.

"Night Fury, there you are! Where in the flying feather were you?" She asked sternly.

"Sorry Rainbow, had a bit of a late wake up call. That hangover was a pain and a half to deal with." Fury said.

"Well don't let it happen again! I was worried we would have to put off the game for a day. Seriously, I might be a heavy drinker, but even I don't drink that much!"

"Okay, Rainbow. I think he gets the point." Fluttershy said, trying to calm her down. "What matters is that he is here now. And we are going to the Equestria Games."

Rainbow Dash quickly smiled. "Yeah you're right. I guess that is a plus. Well strap in, Fury, because this is going to be the biggest sporting event of your life!" Rainbow Dash said, flying off to address the rest of the team. Fury smiled a relieved smile as the train left Ponyville and began the journey to the Crystal Empire. He was glad he had a quick mind and even quicker paws to make his mark, or else he would have been left in the dust. Figuratively and literally.

The train stopped in the Crystal Empire with a hiss of steam. The Ponyville team, Fury's parents, and Fury himself stepped off the coach and onto the platform.

"Well guys, welcome to The Crystal Empire! Shiny as ever and in better shape too." Fury said to his parents, gesturing to the beautiful, crystalline city. Both of Fury's parents were amazed at the looks, especially his mother.

"By the gods, I have only heard of such wonders from the elders' stories! Truly a sight to behold!" Black Ice said, her eyes sparkling like the crystals she saw. "It almost makes me want to carve a piece from a crystal for myself."

"I don't think Cadence is gonna be okay with that." Fury chuckled. "You guys follow the rest of the team to the castle, I'm gonna take a walk."

"Okay son, we'll see you there." Obsidian said, taking his wife with him to the castle as Fury did his walk around. Fury's parents adored the sights, the crystal roads, the beautiful colors of the shops, the hustle and bustle of the city were all amazing to them. Black Ice took it upon herself to check out the merchandise and got herself a necklace along with a bracelet made from diamond.

"Wow, this jewelry is amazing! I'm glad I got these as souvenirs, they were definitely worth it!"

"The hole you just burned in our money stash wasn't…" Obsidian mumbled.

"My dear. Some things are worth giving away your money for." Black Ice replied to which Obsidian simply rolled his eyes.

They soon reached the base of the castle where the rest of the Ponyville team, the princesses, and the Mane Six stood. Along with a new face to see that greeted them.

"Ahh, you must be Night Fury's parents. Shining Armor, nice to meet you." The guard captain greeted.

"The pleasure is ours, this empire is an amazing sight." Obsidian said.

"It sure is. But it wouldn't be like this if it weren't for your son's heroics in defeating King Sombra. Not to mention the big help of this little guy." Shining Armor said, gesturing to Spike.

"Hello, it's nice to meet you." The small drake said. Black Ice immediately took an interest in the dragon.

"Well hello there. You're an adorable little thing, aren't you?" She said, patting his head.

"Aww, thanks. But I'm not adorable, I'm a great and noble helper." Spike said confidently. Black Ice giggled at the dragon's confidence.

"Well, I'll make sure to keep that in mind." She said, walking over to the princesses.

"Well, it looks like we have everything under control. These games are looking to be a hit." Twilight spoke, guiding the team to the entrance into the castle.

"I hope so, this is a truly big event. Unlike anything I've ever seen." Black Ice said.

"Well let's hope that nothing gets out of hand. I am particularly excited for this new event in the roster, a dirt track race sounds very intriguing." Celestia remarked, a look of anticipation crossing her face.

"We think so too, this is gonna be good." Said Rainbow Dash, being flanked by Wind Breaker and Swifty Singer. "Speaking of which, we've got incoming!"

The group looked back to see Night Fury running up the straightaway towards the castle's base. He particularly looked amazing in the cheerful atmosphere, his jet black fur glistening in the bright sun. The more cheery atmosphere of the Crystal Empire from its past made him look especially attractive to the mares around, growing devious smiles and blushes as they saw him swiftly but smoothly glide past.

The mares of the group under the crystal tower grew in temperature as their cheeks reddened. Though he was not actually near them, it felt as if a godly energy was radiating off of him. His smooth fur, slim build, harsh red eyes and quick moves had them captivated. They all had the same thought on their minds, that he looked totally hot.

"Hahaha, look at me now! I'm on my way to making histor- woah!" Fury called out as he lost control of his speed on the freshly polished crystal roads and went into a dizzying spin.

"Woahhhhhhh…!" Fury spun out on the crystal roads, his paws losing traction on the smooth surface.

"Oh boy, looks like the speed freak lost his grip. And he's coming in fast!" Wind Breaker pointed out.

"I've got him!" Cadence said. She walked over a few feet until she was directly in Fury's path and sat on the ground. She held her forelegs out in anticipation, waiting for him to get closer until…

Wump!

He made contact. Cadence was forced back a few feet and came close to the Crystal Heart's pedestal before stopping.

"Gotcha!" She said confidently, looking at the now dizzy feline.

"Uuuugh… everything is super spinny. I think I'm seeing constellations." He whimpered, his eyes spinning in his head.

Cadence was not feeling too pleasant either with having to use all her strength to immobilize the black bullet.

"Oof, that was not easy. The guy is a bit smaller than your average stallion, but he sure can put some force behind his powers while running." She wheezed, her chest a little tight.

Their other friends ran up to the two.

"Oh goodness! Are you alright, you two? That was a major collision!" Fluttershy asked desperately.

"Yeah you went faster than Rainbow lookin' for the last pint of cider." Applejack remarked.

After caressing his head, Fury chuckled a bit.

"Don't worry guys I've survived through worse. This is nothing. Ow! Well it'll wear off." Fury said, getting up.

"Don't be too hard on yourself. When me and Cadence went to the Crystal Empire, I slipped a few times on these roads. I guess the Crystal Ponies must have some special hooves or something." Shining Armor said.

Rainbow interjected in this.

"Well that stuff doesn't matter. What does matter is that today is the day." Rainbow Dash

"I don't wanna go to school, ma! Imma make a superhero club!" Fury said, his dizzy mind barely functioning.

"And we lost him again. Come on, bring it back…" Cadence encouraged, squeezing his face. Fury blinked a bit before he finally came back to reality.

"Huh! Oh that was… gee. Even being as powerful as I am, I didn't expect that to happen. Cadence, whoever waxes these roads needs to get a raise and be fired at the same time!"

"Oh you'll get used to these roads some day. You just have to be more careful. This is not the place for speed ever since Sombra's been beaten."

"Well it's still pretty unpleasant." Fury said.

"Hey, I can help but notice you look a little rushed. Like you didn't get much done today, did something happen?" Cadence asked.

"Well, after Luna helped me with my hangover yesterday, I had a bit of a late wake up call and had to rush out the door to get here on time." Fury admitted. Cadence giggled at his embarrassment.

"So that explains it. And I have a feeling you missed something, perhaps something important in the morning?"

Fury had a look of embarrassment.

"Nothing much except everything. I had to pack everything like no tomorrow. I didn't even get any of those donuts from Canterlot for breakfast." Fury said.

"But I also wanted to just say sorry for hitting on you, Celestia and Cadence, and sorry for simply hitting you Twilight. I was drunk off my paws and out of my mind. And I may have been running on E back there as well."

Twilight spoke up.

"Oh don't worry too much. You were not yourself there. At least not all of it. But it is important to remember Fury. Always drink in moderation! Say no to drunkeness!" Twilight said as if giving a school lecture.

"Yeah yeah, thanks for the tip, Professor Sparkle. Yeesh, if I wasn't tired already, I sure am now."

"That's probably because you're running on an empty stomach." His father said. "Maybe we should give you something to eat."

"You read my mind, pops! I wonder what this place has in its entourage compared to back home?" Fury wondered aloud.

Cadence spoke up.

"Well follow me. And I'll take you to the most popular restaurant around here. The Apatite Cove! Shining Armor, show our Ponyville team to their domains while I take care of this one." Cadence instructed, her husband following her command.

"Don't you mean appetite?" Fury asked while walking with her.

Cadence chuckled at this.

"No silly, apatite is a type of stone. The ponies around here love talking about different rocks and crystals. Just be thankful I told you before crystal ponies chuckle at you for not knowing. It happened to me."

"Gee this place feels like a whole nother planet." Fury said. "It must have taken you and Shining forever to get used to this place."

"Oh, believe me, it was not easy. The meaning of everything here is a bit jarring at first, but you can get used to it if you keep it in your head for long enough. Now let's get you something to eat before we start to hear some rather loud complaining." Cadence giggled, bringing back the teasing about Fury's loud stomach.

The two traveled via the crystal roads, this time Fury being careful not to go too quickly. And they finally reached their destination.

"Behold Night Fury! The place where you replace appetite with apatite! The Apatite Cove!"

Fury saw a pyramid of deep blue crystals he learned was called apatite.

"Ohhh, I get it! Nice play on words. So, what do they have at this place?"

Cadence looked forward to showing Fury what was inside.

"Come on in and see for yourself."

When Fury and Cadence came in, it felt more like a cave with the roof towering over their heads. There were stalactites hanging from the ceiling and even some water streams flowing. The seats and tables were made up of an oakwood-apatite fusion, adding to the aesthetics of the restaurant. Fury was impressed, now even he knew that something so delicate could be used to support a building.

"Wow, this is amazing. But I'm not here to admire the aesthetics, let's see what this place has to offer."

They sat at a table and Fury looked at the menu.

"They have salt crystals? Um… okay let's see what else." Fury continued to look at the menu and looked a little bit disheartened.

Sea shore Hay fries, Boisterous double Hay burger, Hipster horseshoe chips? Moonwater from Apatite? What? Ugh. Nothing here looks like it's for me.

"Oh dear, I forgot about that. The Crystal Empire hasn't had the chance to adjust to your desires and diet." Cadence said sympathetically.

"No no, it's okay. There's no need to worry, because I can do this now." Fury said, snapping his claws and turning into his pegasus form. Cadence was surprised, she didn't know he could do that.

"Okay, let's consume."

He called for the waiter and asked for the items he had read.

When the waiter returned, he saw on black obsidian bowls the exquisite food items that filled his nostrils. Normally he would want to barf at these, but he was now curious what they would be like.

"Hoowee, these look good. I'm gonna enjoy this." Fury said, taking a batch of hay fries in his wing, using it as if it was an artificial paw. He crunched down on the fried food and was graciously surprised by the taste.

"Mmmm, this is amazing! Why have I not done this before?"

Cadence appreciated his liking for equine cuisine but she knew that was only the beginning.

"It's nice you like that but it's time for you to have Crystal Pony specialties."

She presented to him some white crystals in the shape of fries and a blue crystal with liquid coming out of it.

"Rocks? Okay I have my limits, ya know?"

"That's what I thought but these crystal ponies have mastered making rocks tasty. These white crystals are made of a special salt. You can crumble it and the salt tastes better than any salt ever. And this blue crystal? It's apatite, and it's special because it's said to come from the moon and it stores up water from when the moon used to have water. At least that's what the legends say."

Fury was in a state of disbelief, how in the world did this crystal come from the moon? Nonetheless, he was going to try it out. He took one of the white crystals in his hooves and decided to test it out. He lifted the top bun of his hayburger with extra ketchup and pickles and crushed the crystal, letting the flakes fall into the burger before placing the top bun back on. He held it up to his mouth and took a bite out of it. Within seconds, his eyes opened up at the amazing taste of the salt crystals.

"Oh my gosh, this has to be the most delicious thing I've ever had. I'm never having that boring salt back in Ponyville again!" Fury said, his mind in a state of bliss.

"Good!" Cadence said. "But now is the next one. The moon water."

"Uh, I don't know. This water is older than the Silver Blue or Canterlot. I feel like it might give me some sort of stomach bug or worse. I would rather not have that during our competition." Fury said worriedly. Cadence giggled at his concern.

"Oh don't be such a worry wart, it's completely safe. What, do you think that if you drink it, some sort of monster will start running around in there?"

"Yes."

"Well, just drink it! Doctors say there are no side effects so far." Cadence said, a little too casually for the feline across from her.

"Oh great, I could be the very one to make those unknown side effects known. How exciting." Fury moaned.

"Just drink the water, ya silly goose."

He took the crystal and moved his muzzle to the little hole and chugged this exotic drink down.

He was a little silent at first.

"Well what do you think?"

"Hmmm… it tastes… kinda tastes like… a sweeter version of water. Like those flavored vitamin water packs ya see in the supermarket. Though it sits like a liquified rock when it lands down there. So this is what the moon tastes like."

"And do you like it?" Cadence asked. "I won't tell Luna if you don't."

"Eh, not exactly my thing, but it is interesting. And by the way, I can see you and your multiple hayburgers over there, ya loonie." Fury teased.

"Hmmm?" Cadence said, having already chewed through one. "Whatever are you talking about?" Cadence asked while chewing.

Fury said nothing and simply smirked at her with a knowing grin.

"They're good, okay? You can't resist them!"

"I now see where Twilight gets her hayburger obsession from." Fury smugly said. "One more thing, how many times have you gotten a food baby before?"

"A food baby?!" Cadence asked, almost spitting out her food.

"Seriously, you've never heard of the term 'having a food baby'? And I thought I was the clueless one." Fury said. "Basically, it's when you eat so much that you look like you're pregnant. Simple as that."

Cadence had a frown on her face. "Somehow I knew you were going there."

"What? I was just explaining it to you. Did you really think it was trying to jab at the whole 'Princess of Love' thing?"

"Uh no! And for your information I don't eat that much to have that so-called food belly. I keep my figure up well. Thank you very much." Cadence sharply replied.

"First of all, it's food baby. And second, that whole thing about you benefiting from plumping up a bit, was actually a concern of mine." Fury explained. Cadence was a little surprised.

"Wait, you… were concerned about me?"

"Yeah. Considering the fact that I've never seen a creature as slim as you and the last time I saw someone so slim, they were either sick or not eating enough… yeah, the past kinda transferred to the present when I first laid eyes on you."

The pink alicorn had never thought of being thin as a bad thing. But she started to understand that perhaps the blunt Speed Shifter might have had a point.

"Well, I never thought of it that way. I was always focused on how others perceive me so I try to keep my figure up a lot. Some through magic and others through pure exercise." Cadence said, Fury's face contorted at her thoughts.

"And that's even more of a reason why I'm concerned. You don't have to subject your image to whoever's opinion is bigger. I mean, look at me for example. I eat meat, and even though I've been in Equestria for months, almost a year now and there are other creatures who often visit that eat meat as well, there are still gonna be some ponies that have a different opinion."

"I've been getting a lot of talk considering my diet and how I act. My boisterous and high-energy mood, my diet of meat and fish, my origin as a whole. It's all been put up to bat. And yet, I don't swing at it. Remember when Celestia was debating the fact that I said ponies are too soft and only resort to pacifism? What did you tell her?"

Cadence thought for a moment.

"Well, I told her how we can resort to pacifism on some occasions but sometimes we have to resort to violence when the time comes, no matter what beliefs we have." Cadence recounted that difficult speech to her aunt.

"That's exactly my point. You shouldn't be scared of a little bit of criticism. Sure, some ponies may see you as slacking off and not holding up to the standards a princess should hold dearly, but that doesn't mean that it should influence your thoughts and actions. There's a big difference between what ponies expect of you and what you want for yourself. So let yourself go once and a while, have a food binge while watching your favorite movie, pack a few pounds onto your figure, whatever. Nopony should have an opinion that fundamentally changes how you want to live your life. That's what my dad taught me."

Cadence was surprised at how he can be so fearless and unafraid of others' opinions. He felt like a truly free spirit and she knew he could use some of that.

"Quite the wise sage, I see." Cadence said smiling. "I guess that Emperor's words are rubbing off on you."

"Eh, I'm no wise sage. I am still a silly goose by your sense. A guy who still delights in stealing tasty treats and tickle contests. Wait, I think I said too muc-"

Cadence immediately stopped him with a hoof.

"Hold on a second… Tickle contests?"

Fury realized he was in a pickle now. He had to think of an idea.

"Uh… you can't get me here! Yeah! We're in a restaurant. Wouldn't wanna disturb the peace, eh?" Fury said, thinking he got her in a bind.

Cadence still had a smile on her face as she leaned in on him.

"That may be so, but we're not going to talk about this here. We seem to be well enough finished with our dining, I say we get back to the castle and… investigate this new information." She said cheekily.

Fury gulped at her sudden excitement. "Well you'd have to catch me first! I won't fall to your devices."

Cadence finally finished her food and called the waiter. Afterwards, Cadence looked into Fury's pupils.

"We'll see about that. I've been doing some more flying practice with Twilight so I'd be all ready to take you on." Cadence smirked.

They both left the Apatite Cove with their appetites satisfied.

"Uh beautiful day, huh?" Fury said, hoping Cadence would forget about her little devilish scheme. "I like how the sun reflects the crystals so much. It's very uh… aesthetically satisfying in my opinion." He went further in using fancy words he would normally not use.

"Do you think I'm that easily put off? I haven't forgotten about what you said. As a matter of fact, why put this up to a chase?" Cadence said. She lit her horn with a bright teal and within seconds, they were in a room inside the castle.

"Wait, what? huh? Where am I?"

"We're in the Crystal Palace in one of the many rooms here. Pretty nice, hmmm? It's also quite private. With no one… to rescue you from me." Cadence said with an evil smile.

"Oh come on, we just ate! Can't we do this later? And besides, I've got the Equestria Games to worry about." Fury whined.

"Just think of this as a little warm up. I'm just trying to help you get ready." Cadence grinned creepily. "Besides, what if you had to run from assassins after you just ate? This could be helpful!"

"Yeah right!" Fury shot back. He tried to move away from her, but she stepped in front of his path.

"Ah ah ah, you're not going anywhere until I hear more about those contests you talked about. And I'm going to test them for myself, as well."

Fury was clearly unamused. He just wanted to chillax for a bit. But he saw how Cadence was so he figured he would placate her desires.

"Okay fine. Those 'Tickle Contests' are a way to test the strength of our will as future Speed Shifter warriors as kids. We go through them as a way to prove that we can hold our own in any situation. They're… also a way to show affection and love throughout my kind." He explained with a blush.

Cadence nodded, clearly fascinated with this new information.

"Well I'll be. I never realized tickling was a military training tactic! I have to tell Shining about this for sure." Cadence chuckled. "So if that's the case, I don't think you would mind me tickling you to show friendship, hmmm?" She grinned again.

"Wait, let's not get too crazy now." Fury said, trying to get her to back off.

"I don't think so. I'm kind of feeling like a predator, and you're my prey. And I'm feeling like I haven't had my fill." She snarled, leaning in on the feline until her muzzle touched his.

"Ummm…" Fury knew he was in big trouble now. Think of something. Something. Ah ha, a distraction!

"Uhhh… Look, Shining Armor in short shorts!"

"Really?" She looked the other way excitedly. "Hey, I don't see him." Cadence turned back around to see Fury was not there anymore.

"Ooooh, that cheeky little… using my own husband against me! Where'd he go?!" Cadence looked around.

She did hear some noise of running in the long hallway and could make out some black.

"Fury, I'm coming after you." Cadence said as she flew after him.

For Fury, he was laughing at how he bested Cadence. He praised himself for pulling it off and how he could get out easily.

"Ha, that actually worked! Now all I have to do is get to safety, and I know just the two royals who can provide it! Throne room, here I come!"

"Mind if I join you, Fury?" said a voice behind him.

Fury turned around and saw Cadence catching up to him.

"Ah shoot. I guess I was a little too late. No matter, I'll just lose her." Fury picked up speed and came to an intersection. He leaned left and baited Cadence into following him before quickly shooting right and juking her. She took the left turn and tried to stop but her momentum was too great before Fury disappeared.

"Perfect. Now, to get smaller." He said, using his powers to turn into a bat and fly the rest of the way to the throne room. The throne room came into view and he flew through the gigantic doors, flying to the roof to get a top-down view. As he expected, Celestia and Luna were sitting on Cadence's throne, talking to each other.

Nice, they're here. Time to hide out!

He made a few squeaking noises and got their attention.

"Huh? What was that?" Luna asked her sister.

"I don't know, but it sounded like a bat." Celestia answered. Not more than a few seconds later, a small bat with a red contrail came flying in, landing on Celestia's shoulder.

"Hmmm, I was not aware this palace had a bat infestation. We'll have to tell Cadence eventually." Celestia said.

"They are not pests, sister! Bats are wonderful creatures of the night, essential for the environment."

"Yeah, show some respect to us bats, Sunbutt!" The bat spoke.

"Sunbutt? Why, I only know one daring enough to call me that. Isn't that right, ambassador?" Celestia chuckled, calling him out.

"The battiest guy around!" Fury said, flashing his pearly white fangs.

"Ah, my little lightning bug. Always a pleasure to see you. But it's a bit early to see us, is it not?" Luna inquired.

"Never too early to pop in on you two, I love seeing you guys. And besides, I'm actually hiding from somepony as we speak."

"Oh? And who is this threat we have yet to see?" Celestia asked. Just as Fury was about to explain, a familiar pink princess arrives in the throne room.

"Speak of the devil…" Fury whispered, hiding in Celestia's mane.

"Hey, you two. Have you seen Fury around, he's supposed to do something for me." Cadence asked. Celestia and Luna decided to pry into this question and played along.

"Why must you find him so urgently?" Luna asked.

"Well, I just found out that Fury's kind have 'Tickle Contests' to prove their strength of will and to show affection and love between each other. And I asked him to help me test it, but he ran away. I was hoping you could help me find my… test subject." Cadence said, winking at her aunts.

Fury was desperately praying to the gods that Celestia and Luna would not rat him out.

Come on ladies. Especially you, Moonpie. You're for me!

He thought to himself as he continued to sit in the ethereal mane of the solar goddess. Celestia and Luna smiled at their niece's wish and decided to not only help her 'find' him, but help her conduct the experiment.

"Well my dear niece, one could say you are doing this in the name of research. Well I say that is a noble goal. Twilight would be proud so… let us do so." Celestia said with a devious grin. She reached a hoof into her mane and pulled out the small bat inside.

"Ohhh, so that's where you were. Very clever." Cadence giggled.

"Oh come on, I thought you two would help me!" Fury called out.

"Oh but we are helping you. We are helping you help us." Luna said innocently.

"What?"

"You see, my dear lightning bug, I truly want to know what love is. I only have a small understanding, but through this, I may complete my goal."

"Can't we just talk about our feelings?" Fury pleaded.

Luna simply shook her head.

"Words are not enough sometimes. Which is why I'm done talking. Let us begin!" Luna said, turning to Celestia.

Celestia carried the small bat to her niece and sat before her. Fury transformed back to his original form and was immediately squeezed in the sun goddess' forelegs like a pet.

"No! Let me go! I do not approve!"

But the others ignored him. And Luna and Cadence went to different sides of Fury. Being ready to show him classic Speed Shifter discipline.

"So, dear niece, you say that this shows love and affection to his kind?" Luna asked.

"Yes it does, Auntie. And I think he's gonna love this." Cadence giggled.

"Even if it was supposedly love and affection, I never wanted it again! I kept running from my mother whenever she tried that!" Fury complained.

"Yeah yeah yeah. All I hear is someone who is just too shy." Cadence said. "Am I right, aunts?"

They both nodded.

"Now, let's see how this turns out." Cadence said, beginning to tickle his side. Fury resisted like he did for his check-up, tightening his body and holding as still as possible.

I will not break. I will not break. I will not break

"Hmmm, what would happen if I tickled his nose?" Celestia said, pulling a feather and wiggling their captive's nose.

I will not break. I will not break. I… will… not…. I'm breaking!

Slowly but surely, small snickers started to break through.

"Oh, ladies, you only focus on the small things. I know where to strike him hardest." Luna said, moving to face him. She slowly moved her head up his body and stopped at his belly. Fury's eyes went wide as he realized what was about to happen.

Oh no… she's not about to give me a…

BBZBZBBZBZBZBT!

"Not a raspberry! Ha ha ha ha!" Fury was finally defeated.. He squealed and squirmed as he was tickled on all sides, nothing being able to save him from his fate.

"A-kitchie kitchie koo!" Luna said, adding to the humiliation.

"Oh why must I suffer so much ha ha ha ha!" He said both crying and laughing at the same time.

"He's so cute when he's vulnerable. I wish I had him as my mate!" Celestia said.

"Don't even think of trying to take him from me, sister!" Luna butted in. Just then, Twilight showed up.

"Celestia, I was just wondering, what should we do if- Uh, what's going on here?" The purple bookworm asked, a little confused as to why Fury was being tickled by her fellow royals. They stopped to let Fury breath and spoke to her.

"Twilight, thank the gods you're here! These three psycho princesses decided it would be a great idea to torture me by restraining me and tickling me!" The black feline called out.

"Nonsense! We are just conducting an experiment." Luna said. This got Twilight's attention.

"An experiment? Of what kind?" She asked, a little intrigued.

"It turns out that tickling is one way Speed Shifters show affection. And we are seeing if that does the same with ponies." Celestia said. Twilight beamed at the new information, her inner filly bubbling up as she thought of the research possibilities. But she also showed a bit of deviousness in her look, now knowing that there was a benefit from giving her feline friend a tickle.

"Is that so? Well, I say there's no better way of conducting an experiment than with multiple testers." Twilight said. She gave a whistle and all of the Mane Six showed up. She quickly whispered to them what she had been told and all of them slowly showed either devious looks or silly grins.

"I can't wait to show our champion some gratitude!" Rainbow said.

"Ah'm mighty excited what a kitty like him will sound like." said Applejack.

"Normally I would think this childish, but since it is to better understand him, I will generously give him tickles." Rarity added.

"Well I always want to know what a feline like you would sound like." Fluttershy shyly said.

"THIS IS GONNA BE SO FUN! I CAN'T WAIT!" Pinkie said bursting with energy.

"Alright girls, if we are in agreement, let's show him affection." Twilight said as they all marched toward the nervous looking cat.

"No… nonono not again!" Fury said, leaping out of Celestia's grasp and gunning it passed his friends. But one more would stand in his way, or more so trip him up.

"Oof!" Fury fell face first into the castle floor. Looking up and to his right, he saw none other than Spike with his foot out where he had stepped.

"Oh come on, Spike!" Fury said, wishing he was not there. "You ruined everything!"

"Nice job, Spike!" Twilight said, using her magic to drag Fury back to them and telling Pinkie Pie to hold him down.

"Oh uh sorry pal. You should have watched where you were going though." Spike said nonchalantly which annoyed Fury.

"I'll get you for this, Spike!" Fury said vengefully.

"Oh calm down. I have you now, big kitty!" Pinkie said. "We just want to have fun!"

All of the Mane Six held him down. All at once, they all went in on him and gave it their all. Fury burst out into laughter and filled the room with howls of his voice.

"Hahahahaha, this isn't fair! I thought we were all about the Equestria Games!? Don't you remember?"

"Oh we know. This is just a bit of stress relief before the competition." Rainbow said. "Just lie down and embrace your fate."

"Oh wow, I'm getting so much data! By now, I'll probably have enough to extend those medical records and known biology about your kind!" Twilight said, writing on a clipboard.

"I'm sensing an increase in love energy from him, I think he's starting to like it!" Cadence said. "Rarity, you're hitting the sweet spot! You're getting the most of a reaction out of him!"

"I guess you could have experience from my own parents doing that to me as a filly. So I know exactly where to make it hit." Rarity reminisced.

"Okay girls, I think we've got enough. I think I'm starting to see him turn red." Twilight giggled. The Mane Six released their hold on him and let him breathe. Fury giggled and let out cute squeaks as he tried to regain his composure, rolling around as he made the tickly sensation go away.

"Hey girls, the games are going to start soon!" Shining Armor popped in. He immediately raised an eyebrow as to why Fury was rolling around on the floor giggling like a baby.

"Is he alright? Does he need first aid?" Shining asked, quite confused.

"Nah, he's fine, just give him some time. He went through a lot." Cadence said.

"That, or you all put him through the ringer. Which is more believable considering how you're all gathered around him like a bonfire. Now come on, the games inspector wants to go through the events with the team before the games start!"

Everyone's faces turned from amused to worried.

"Seriously? I thought she was done." Twilight put in.

"Apparently not, she wants to make sure that everything goes as it should be." Shining added.

"Well, I suppose we should get going. Come, let us go." Luna instructed. After Fury finally finished his laughing fit, he stood up straight and followed the others to the stadium.

The stadium stood tall over the group, the crystal walls shining bright in the sun as they walked up to the entrance. As they approached the entrance, they all noticed the games inspector standing there. She was a reddish-brown earth pony with a yellow mane, an official pendant and suit to accent her professional looking profile. The group of ponies and the Speed Shifter stopped as they came in front of her.

"Ahh, you all seem to be on time. Which to me is a surprise considering some of your backgrounds." Ms. Harshwhinny spoke, sounding condescending. "I understand that you have a special teammate within your team. Is he here?"

Gee, she sure sounds like a very fun lady. Fury said in his head.

"Yeah yeah, I'm here. Keep your clipboard in your hooves." Fury stepped through the crowd and showed himself, a very unamused look on his face.

"Well, it's about time you came here, Ambassador. I hope you will not disappoint me as I analyze you."

"Analyze me? What am I, an alien? And just so we're clear, as long as you're in my presence, keep that title in your muzzle. I'm not here to start playing patty cake." Fury spat.

"Um, excuse me for a moment ma'am. Fury had some sort of accident. He doesn't mean to be so blunt. Right, Fury?" Twilight asked, staring into him.

"Keep it short and sweet, princess. This isn't your time to start speaking on my behalf. I don't need you trying to do anything for me."

"Excuse us." Twilight said. She pushed him to a private corner. "Fury, cool it! I don't need you causing any problems today! Do you even know who you're talking to?"

"That snooty games inspector Rainbow warned me about on the train and the one I read up on when I first heard about the games? Yeah, I know her and I don't intend on letting any disrespect slide. I'm going to explain this to you only once, Sparkle. I am all for these games, but I don't let snobby attitudes and passive aggressive comments about me slide. You have a problem with that, take it up with me. Because I will gladly show you what I let slide and what I don't."

"Look, if this is about you being tickled. I'm sorry. I got carried away with research and it won't happen again. I'll give you a whole bunch of fish later on." Twilight said.

"I don't care about the research, bookworm. It's disrespectful ponies that are snide and make passes at me for not being so prim and polished that I'm worried about. Now let's get this done, I've got a gold medal to reign in." Fury said, walking back to the group.

Harshwinny appeared a bit unamused. "Ah, finally. I hope you had an adorable conversation with your buddy over there. Because I am getting very impatient here."

"Keep your teeth in, I'm not going anywhere. And she is not my buddy. Let's get this done, shall we?"

"Finally something wise out of you. Follow me." Harshwinny said, leading him and the group to the stadium. Fury was less than enthusiastic with that comment, a visible vein pulsing in his head that made the Empire's ruler and the royal sisters concerned.

"That Fury, why is he like this? Can't he keep his emotions inside?" Cadence whispered. "This is not the time to talk back!"

"That may be the case, niece, but I suspect that Ms. Harshwhinny is pushing her limits. Or more so, trying to get Fury to break his own." Celestia said.

"I just hope Fury will not get more angry than now." Twilight said. The group entered the vast stadium, the grass stretching a few hundred yards in every direction. Ms. Harshwhinny began to speak.

"As you all may know, the Equestria Games is the biggest sporting event in Equestrian history. Many creatures from far and wide come to either spectate or participate. And with the ambassador being here, he will have brought a whole new species into the games and cement his kind as the first to participate and spectate in Equestrian history. Which in my professional opinion is rather surprising, considering how violent they are." She mumbled that last part. Fury still picked up on that and the vein in his head began to pulse faster, getting Fluttershy's attention and making her concerned.

"Now now, don't let her get to you. Maybe she's just a bit angry at something else. She probably doesn't really mean anything personally."

"Is that so, Fluttershy? Can you hear what she's saying?" Fury jabbed, clearly annoyed.

"Well, no but-"

"Exactly. So don't try and tell me what she's trying to mean when I can hear her and you can't." He snarled quietly. Fluttershy was worried for her friend, but she could understand what he was saying. He did have a better sense of hearing than she did, so she really couldn't tell him what she meant when she couldn't hear what he did.

"Now, as of this year's games, the event organizers added a new event. The Dirt Track Rally. As you can see, the track has been laid out with cones surrounding the border and a state-of-the-art starting light that allows for much easier viewing for your pleasure. May the sights of contestants fill you with utmost passion."

Everyone watched as they were filing in. Anticipation filled the contestants' veins. The group continued to walk the field and came up on the Ariel Relay Course.

"And here is the Ariel Relay Course. Specially designed to taste the limits of even the best flyers, this course has stood the test of time. Constantly challenging those who take it on and running those who can't handle it out of the stadium."

Fury saw the course and realized he would have to use all his flying skills for this part. He hoped he and his teammates would be ready. They continued to tour the stadium, coming across the ice archery range, the horseshoe throw, the weight lifting section, and the obstacle course. As they exited the stadium and came to a stop, Ms. Harshwhinny began to speak her words before departure to oversee the lighting of the torch that Spike had graciously been assigned to do.

"Now I shall go. Do your best, as much as you can at least. For I am watching." Harshwhinny said as she left.

Phew, it's over. I swear, Fury might have some problems with that tone of his. Wait, where'd he go?

Twilight asked herself. She observed the crowd ahead of her and couldn't see the black cat anywhere.

"Has anyone seen Fury?!" Twilight asked. Everypony said no and they were all frantically searching for Night Fury.

Dang it Fury. Of all the times to not be present…

"Night Fury, where are you?!" Twilight called for him. "We have to hurry! The game is about to begin!"

"Hey, I've got eyes on him! He's… he's talking to himself." Rainbow Dash said. The group walked over to where he was said to be and listened into his conversation with himself.

"Ooh, that pretentious little hoof licker is a pain! If I could, I would grab her by her neck and drag her face so badly that even Luna would have an epiphany seeing her mangled body. She is lucky that she was in the sightlines and to those four princesses, and if she wasn't, she would never be able to be found. Let's see how long she tries to test me."

"Yo Fury! If you're done talking to yourself, we have a game to play. So get your butt back here and be ready!" Rainbow Dash called out to him.

"Oh we've got a game alright! I'll beat the brakes off of those other teams like I just met them!" He said as he moved back there.

Rainbow liked the sound of that.

"That's the spirit! Now you, Wind Breaker and Swifty Singer get into position."

They did so. They were all anticipating the big event, waiting for their chance to prove themselves in the biggest sporting event in Equestrian history.

"Places for the precession everypony, two minutes!"

Windbreaker and Swiftly Singer were both eager to prove themselves in this great competition. It was something they dreamed of as foals.

"I'm a little nervous again." Windbreaker said. "I never thought I would get this far."

"Ah don't worry!" Swiftly said. "We'll show these other sides that Ponyville is unstoppable. We've learned a lot after all from before. We'll make their jaws drop!"

Wind Breaker had a boost of eagerness.

You're right we can do it! We'll show them! Right Fury?" She heard silence at first. "Um… Fury?"

She looked to her left and saw the black feline staring at the ground, whispering to himself. She looked worried at his state and decided to pipe up.

"Feeling the pressure?" She asked. Fury pulled his head up and nodded.

"Yeah, but not for the reason you think. I know that I'm confident in the games and my performance, that's set in stone. But… it's just that this is going to be the event that truly introduces my species to Equestria."

"Introduce your species? But haven't you already made a name for yourself?" Wind Breaker asked.

"Maybe to a couple of delegates who've heard of me and the ponies I interact with on a constant basis, but there's still a ton of ponies that barely know me, let alone know I even exist! These Equestria Games are going to be the biggest moment for not only me, but for the reputation of my kind as a whole." Fury explained.

"I can understand that." Swiftly said. "I know this is our time to truly show all of ourselves. To prove our worth to all of Equestria. Isn't that right?"

"You understand well, my friend! Alright, let's do this!" Fury said. The Ponyville team stood inside a tunnel that led to the field, the opening ceremony about to begin. Many of the teams had already made it out to the field and given their entrance routine. But now, it was Ponyville's turn. Night Fury had been ordered to stay behind as the team went out to the field as he was to be separately introduced, his species being the first to participate.

"Now, please welcome the delegation from Ponyville!" Shining Armor called out. The Ponyville team, being led by Scootaloo of all ponies, ran out. The other two members of the Cutie Mark Crusaders held up a banner of their team flag, readying themselves for the charge.

"Ponyville forever! Yay!" The Cutie Mark Crusaders called out as they let the team run through. Scootaloo led the team with their flag attached to her scooter, letting the ponies behind her fall in as they ran out onto the field.

All of Ponyville had their eyes glued on their heroes. Fury swore he would not let them down.

All of the contestants finally made their positions. And then, it was his turn.

"And now, please welcome the newest member of the Equestria Games…"

Okay, Fury, this is it! Give them a show they'll never forget.

"Through his trials and tribulations, he has made a statement to ponies that he can live amongst us in harmony. Some know him as a hero, others know him as a friend, and only a very lucky somepony can call him their special somepony. But without further ado, Ladies and Gentlecolts, I give you the very first Speed Shifter to walk this field. Give it up for the one… the only… Night Fury!"

Everypony cheered for him. Especially his parents and the Mane Six. But most of all his one true love, Luna. She was shouting at him to destroy his foes.

"Well I won't do that literally, but we'll totally beat them in the dust." Fury said to himself. He ran out to the rest of his team and joined them in the center of the field for the lighting of the torch.

There Fury saw a familiar scaly figure running to the booth. Fury was proud that Spike was able to have such an honor, he had basically been crowned a deity among the crystal ponies for what he had done during King Sombra's attack. Spike climbed up the ladder to the torch, took a deep breath and used his fire breath to light the torch, lighting it up in a beautiful emerald flame.

"Yeah, you show the crystal ponies, Spike!" Fury cheered him on to the young drake's appreciation. The young dragon bowed to the crowds in gratitude before returning inside the stadium to rejoin the stands.

"With the lighting of the torch now complete, it is time to begin our first event! The Dirt Track Rally! Our first contestants are the young but no less talented Wind
Breaker, Stone Claw, High Tower, Fleet Foot and Two Tone!" As their names were called out, the five contestants walked their way to the starting line. Five ponies plus one griffin stood ready at the marked area.

Wind Breaker approached her area, ready to make all three laps. She was not as afraid though. She knew her abilities had increased ever since the first race. She took a deep breath and let it out. Looking over, she saw her opponents. While Two Tone and High Tower were earth ponies like her from Fillydelphia and Manehattan respectively, Stone Claw and Fleet Foot both had wings and had a special binding spell placed on their wings to allow them to compete.

She could see they were all just as determined as her. Some of them seemed rough on the edges especially Stone Claw who had a scar by his eye. She knew they were not to be taken lightly.

"Racers, take your marks!" Came Shining Armor, standing next to the new starting lights. The five racers leaned down to running positions, ready to take off at a moment's notice. The lights engaged and showed red, three sets of light going down in order before green.

3… 2… 1… Go!

The light went green and the race was on! The rest of the teams cheered from the sidelines as their teammates took off. Ponies in the stadium began cheering for the runners as the action started, ponies closer to the action getting an easy view while others higher up such as the princesses and some friends of the royal family in their own private box being displayed the action below through screens via a complex web of viewing spells.

For Rainbow Dash and the rest of the Mane Six, they could see the many complex maneuvers Wind Breaker made to catch the others off guard. She often switched inside and outside to pass other opponents, used the dust kicked up to cover her moves while keeping it out of her eyes, slowing down to let others overshoot turns in order to pass. She was killing it. By the time the third lap came up, Wind Breaker had set herself in a solid first place, Stone Claw in second, Fleet Foot in third, and Two Tone and High Tower bringing up the rear.

Everyone cheered on the young intelligent champion. They were impressed by her level of skill.

"Come on, Wind Breaker, just bring it home!" Rainbow Dash called out. Wind Breaker rounded the final bend and with the sound of an air horn, the race was over. She and the other racers pulled off of the track and started congratulating each other as the points tallied up.

Ponyville: 5 points
Griffin Stone: 4 points
Cloudsdale: 3 points
Fillydelphia: 2 points
Manehattan: 1 point

"Nice race, High Tower! You may not have made the top three, but you put up a good fight of endurance." Wind Breaker said to the blue stallion with a black and blue mane.

"Hey, when you're an architectural manager constantly running up and down flights of stairs to monitor levels upon levels of construction for a sky-high corporate office in the middle of the city, you give yourself a good workout." He chuckled.

Night Fury was impressed by her humbleness. She was someone who showed respect to others.

"Nice job, Wind Breaker! That's five points for us. And I like how humble you are. Considering how competitive and hardcore this event is, I'm surprised you're not bragging." Fury commented.

"It's not that much of a competition type gal. To me, it's just a day to get out there and show your stuff. Since my dad was a part of the weather patrol in his heyday, he told me that l should look to the smaller things in life and never let your emotions barge in over yourself."

"And that's a good idea to stand by, your father is a good pony." Fury said, making Wind Breaker blush. While she was rather embarrassed to admit that she liked Fury's words, she did find him like a pseudo big brother with how caring his demeanor was.

"Alright, we're in the lead, let's try and keep it up! Swifty, now's your time to shine!" Rainbow Dash called out.

"Next up we have our second group of contenders. These being Swifty Singer, Thunderlane, Skylar, Pea Pod and Sweet Treats!" The next five contestants stepped up to the line and began to prepare themselves. Swifty knew that this was a big event and he had all eyes on him, but it wasn't all about him.

He remembered what Fury said during tryouts and made his objective to do it for his family and friends as well as his teammates. The other contenders looked as ready as he was, With Skylar and Thunderlane being the fiercest out of the five. Pea Pod and Sweet Treats on the other hand, looked more meek and casual. With Pea Pod being a literal sweet pea farmer from Fillydelphia and Sweet Treats being a baker from Manehattan, they both were less enthusiastic about the competition and were more nervous.

Even so, it didn't stop them from trying. The racers then changed their attention to the starting lights, watching as they went from red to green and permitted them to take off.

Everyone could tell that Swiftly was less nervous than the previous contestant. He was also far more experienced at running since he has been doing this for a long time. He easily breezed through the first lap and gave Ponyville the thought of an easy win. But just as lap two started, things would get hairy.

As Swifty rounded the second corner, he would start to slow down in an effort to conserve energy for when he needed it. But what he didn't realize was that the other racers didn't have such a strategy in mind.

"Okay, just gonna slow down a bit and give myself some time to- Augh!" As he was about to finish his sentence, Skylar and Thunderlane flew past him, kicking up dust that blinded Swifty. To add insult to injury, Sweet Treats passed him up and made him trip over his own hooves, giving his team a horrible sight to see as the dust cleared from where he sat in the dirt.

"Whoops, sorry for the little trip, yokel." said Sweet Treats. "Have fun down there. Peace!"

Fury and Wind Breaker looked in horror.

"Get back up now!" Rainbow and Fury yelled together. "You can't let them blaze through!"

For Swiftly he was able to finally get back to his hooves and keep going, luckily not falling too far behind as Pea Pod was still a ways behind him. He pushed as hard as he could think through the final lap, trying to keep up with the rest of the competition. But with Sweet Treat playing aggressive and making sure he didn't pass, he had a hard time coming back from his fall and ending up with a fourth place finish.

Cloudsdale: 8 points
Griffin Stone: 8 points
Manehattan: 4 points
Ponyville: 8 points
Fillydelphia: 3 points

As the points racked up for the teams, Ponyville saw that they were tied with both Cloudsdale and Griffin Stone. This was not a good sign for them.

"Aw man, I got tripped up! I should have done more!" Swifty huffed, walking off the track. "I failed Ponyville."

"Easy, Swifty, you did good. It's that Sweet Treats that was the problem, she was playing aggressively big time. You did all that you could and that's all that matters." Rainbow Dash said. Swifty calmed himself and nodded at her, he knew that with such a high amount of pressure and lots of fame on the line, there were going to be a lot of players who would push the limits of what they could do.

"Who would have thought a pony with a sweet cute name and fru fru bow in her mane could be so nasty?" Wind Breaker remarked.

"Whatever that girl is up to, it's over now." Rainbow remarked, turning to the feline of the hour. "Fury, it's all up to you! We've got to break this tie to win this event, go get that gold medal for us!"

"Oh boy. I guess I'm the chosen one of this race, huh? I never thought it would be this close. I'm going to have to put on my A game today. I have to remember everything I was taught." Fury said. "But no matter, I'll have us feasting in Cadence's palace by tonight!"

"Finally, we have our third round! Up next are Spitfire, T-Bone, Coco Pommel, Heat Strike and Night Fury!" Shining Armor said. The third name on the list was an interesting one for a certain fashion designer in the crowd, her ears perking up ever so slightly.

"Coco Pommel? The upcoming fashion designer from Manehattan!? I had no idea she was the athletic type! Especially with how… reserved she is." Rarity said, her gaze following the cream colored earth pony as she walked onto the track. "Go Coco Pommel! Prove your might!"

Rainbow Dash was not at all inspired that Rarity sided with a rival contestant instead of Ponyville's team.

"Sorry darling, but us fashionistas have to stick together." Rarity said.

"Well so much for you and Ponyville pride, she has got to get her priorities in check." Fury moaned, taking his place at the starting line. He looked over to the side and saw the captain of the WonderBolts, Spitfire. Rainbow Dash had her in her cross hairs ever since she was a filly and had an obsession with the WonderBolts. He had to admit, she was a bit of a legend. What with her world records for the fastest flying creature in the world and the fastest pegasus in the world. But it didn't matter to him, this was still his competition.

Rainbow Dash then turned to Fury and cheered "Bring in the gold, Fury!"

Fury smiled that the Element of Loyalty was still on their side unlike a certain other pony.

The lights lit up and went red, all lighting up in sequence.

3… 2… 1… Go!!!

And the race was on! Fury and the other racers took off at blistering speeds, dust blowing in the air as they took off. In a few seconds after the first turn, the field started to find their positions. Spitfire in first, Fire Strike in second, Fury in third, Coco in fourth and T-Bone in last.

Well it looks like I'm making progress. I just gotta get ahead of that Fire Strike and Spitfire. Gee, why did I get the really tough ones?

Fury kept running but felt like he was not getting any closer. But he saw an opportunity as Fire Strike overshot the last turn into lap two. Fury took the chance he had and extended his claws, giving him more traction as he gained on the red pegasus from Fillydelphia.

"Sorry bud, but I've got a gold medal to reign in!" Fury called out, giving Fire Strike a salute before pushing past him and beginning his second lap.

After hearing some swearing from the red pegasus, he moved on to his biggest foe. Spitfire. Someone he heard of great exploits.

"Oh boy, Spitfire is too smart to go for a fluke like that hothead there. How am I gonna catch up to her?" Fury thought as he skidded past the first turn and onto the long straight away.

That's it! I'll get behind her and make her mess up, the pressure from me being behind her should get her to crack. And maybe staying silent as I do it will add to the stress.

Fury pushed hard as the second turn passed by and he started to gain on Spitfire. He got up to her right flank and proceeded to slow down, hanging out next to her as they raced down the straight away towards the final turn.

"Well well well, look who managed to catch up. You feeling the burn yet?" Spitfire asked in her usual raspy voice. But Fury said nothing.

"I said, are you feeling the burn yet, kid?" Spitfire said thinking he didn't hear her.

Fury only continued to run beside her, causing the WonderBolt captain to start losing focus. The final turn was incoming, all the marbles were strapped around Fury's neck, and it was his time to shine.

Alright, let's bring home the win!

"Hey Spitfire!" He called out, getting the bright orange pegasus to look at him.

"Watch out." He said smugly, slowing down even more. Spitfire had no idea what he meant. That was, until she found herself running up and over the sloped turn, flipping upside down and landing in a patch of hay on the border.

The crowd roared as they saw Fury enter the lead, giving him the motivation to keep pushing harder. He felt like no other creature alive, his adrenaline flow pulsing through his veins as he saw the finish line ahead. He swore if it weren't for the disabling spell on him, he would have done a stylish sonic boom to punctuate the moment. With one final push and a victorious roar from the feline in first place, he crossed the line and sounded the air horn.

"We have a winner! The Speed Shifter ambassador himself, Night Fury!"

"Yeah! We did it! We did it!" Rainbow Dash said going into a little dance.

Everyone came up to Night Fury. "You did it, Fury!" Fluttershy said louder than her usual self. "I'm so proud of you!"

"Heh, thanks, you gotta admit that was a neat trick I played on eh?" Fury said.

Everyone admitted so. Although Rainbow seemed to not want to rag on Spitfire too much for obvious reasons.

"No! How could we have lost!" said a frilly looking Sweet Treats. "My city was supposed to be the winner today and we lost to a hick town and their pet cat?!"

"Too bad, sweet cheeks, I'm just better. And besides, wasn't Manehattan the city that got swatted in the Equestria Games four years in a row?" Fury said, roasting her. The team and the crowd let out a synchronized 'Ohhh!', Princess Celestia coming out with her own 'Oh Snap!' before regaining her composure and blushing at her rather childish antics.

"Humph!" Sweet Treats simply stuck her nose up in the air. "I should have gotten my father to pay for better teammates. Too bad I got a bunch of lameos instead!" She said walking away.

"Hey! We helped you get here in the first place, you spoiled daddy's girl!" Coco Pommel said, the other players in team Manehattan holding her back from charging at the leaving baker.

"Wow… she may be reserved, but she can put her hoof down when she needs to. I may have to hire her someday, once I have the time and money to extend my boutique." Rarity commented, her mind wandering at the possibilities for her and Coco in the future.

Rainbow was still a little miffed that Rarity didn't even think about Ponyville's Team. But on the other hand, she was just happy to finally have Team Ponyville win this game against all the odds.

"Hey, not bad there, kid." Fury turned to see Spitfire. "I was impressed by that trick you did there. You have a lotta talent."

"Thanks. I have learned from all my days of pranking and sneaking around with a few mind games sprinkled here and there. But if you want to give credit. Give it to Rainbow Dash. She was the one who organized this whole team and made us shape ourselves up."

"Oh really?" Spitfire turned to Rainbow Dash who was shaking with anticipation at her hero. "Not bad. If you trained these guys up, you might be captain one day."

Rainbow almost passed out at this. "Oh my gosh. Oh my gosh. Oh my gosh."

Fury laughed at his friend's fan girl freak out, he was sure that she was in her happy place with Spitfire even talking to her. The teams then walked over to the podium, each runner getting their own medal. Ponyville cheered for the three runners as they received their gold medals, standing tall as the pride flowed through them.

"Congratulations to all our medalists. And now, the anthem of the Equestria Games!" Shining Armor said. Fury showed a cheeky smile as he heard this and disappeared. Swifty and Wind Breaker had no idea what made the feline want to leave, but it didn't matter as he showed back up a few minutes later.

"So you know how they added speakers to the stadium for the anthem?" Fury asked the two, getting nods in response. "Well, I may have swapped out the CD that plays the anthem for something more… prank worthy."

The two other racers gave each other confused expressions as the speakers began to play. And at that moment, the biggest prank in Equestrian history would be carried out in all its glory.

🎶Never gonna give you up…🎶

🎶Never gonna let you down!🎶

🎶Never gonna gallop around and… desert you!🎶

As the music played, he looked at the diversity of responses. Some were laughing, some were crying, some were offended, and others were simply confused.

What amused him the most was the face of Miss Harshwinny who seemed both offended and confused.

"What is going on? This is not part of the ceremony! Who would be so unprofessional?! I demand answers!" Miss Harshwhinny yelled out. Nopony seemed to pay any attention to the aggravated inspector, especially the perpetrator of the prank who was rolling in the grass laughing as his plan was unfolding.

He tried to recover himself as the chorus kicked in, but he then looked up to where the princesses and delegates sat and lost it again. While all of the delegates were laughing at the joke, the four royals were in a mix of confusion, amusement, and strangely, concern.

"Cadence, is this pop song popular with teenagers really appropriate for the most important games in Equestria?" Twilight asked with confusion.

Cadence shrugged her shoulders. "Normally not, but today, yes, yes it is. Just embrace the feeling. You know the rules and so do I!"

As Cadence did her thing and Twilight tried to figure out what was going on, the two royal sisters looked down at the field below, watching as the chaos ensued.

"I think I may have a good idea who is behind this musical mix-up. Do you have the same thoughts, sister?" Luna asked, smiling.

"Yes I do. I also know a good, and rather cheeky reason why." Celestia chuckled, watching as the crowd below had their laughs as the music played.

The games were let out for a break as the tech teams were trying to work out what happened to the anthem. Meanwhile, outside the stadium, Rainbow Dash and Night Fury were laughing at what had taken place.

"Hahaha! Okay, Night Fury… That very well could be the biggest prank in Equestrian history!" Rainbow Dash said, wiping some tears away.

"I don't doubt it! I have been waiting to do something like that ever since I heard about you and Pinkie's Saturday Prank Spree." Fury recalled, looking back at when he had gotten the classic water bucket dumped on him on one of those prank sprees. "I'm happy to have contributed to the fine art of pranking."

Rainbow and Fury both high hoofed each other and had a good laugh.

"Well it seems that you two have been enjoying your time." A voice behind them said.

Fury and Rainbow looked and saw it was Celestia along with the other princesses and the rest of the Mane Six.

"Oh hey ladies, that was one weird mess up. Wonder what happened to the anthem?" Fury said innocently.

"Hmmm, I do wonder indeed." Cadence hummed aloud. "Who would be so mischievous as to go into that room and change the discs? And who would be so strangely unshocked by the course of events? I do wonder…"

"Yeah I still have no idea!" Pinkie said, not catching on. At this point, Fury was trying to hold back his inner laughter. Holding up a blank mask in an effort to ward off the suspicion. But it was only until Luna stepped up that he was finally exposed.

"Night Fury, we already know what transpired. You are the perpetrator of this guilty crime. You snuck in there without any guards knowing. You were the one who wanted a good final laugh to commemorate your victory. The culprit is you! Who else would be so sneaky and mischievous and conveniently disappear for ten minutes?" Luna pointed her hoof to Fury. He dropped his mask and started snickering, then dropping into demented cackling.

"Bahahahahaha! That has to be my most brilliant work yet! I saw all of your faces and I was dying laughing!" Fury laughed.

Everyone once again had different reactions.

"You are one silly cat." Applejack said with a chuckle.

"Yep! You have joined the ranks of true pranksters! Welcome aboard, soldier!" Pinkie said in a deep voice, donning a military helmet and wielding her party cannon.

"I do have to admit it was quite amusing. I never really loved the anthem anyways. Too much intensity. I prefer this sweeter song of not deserting." Fluttershy said meekly.

"Personally, I was looking forward to hearing the anthem. But I suppose it was pretty funny." Rarity admitted.

Twilight on the other hoof was a little unamused.

"Fury, you are very lucky you didn't get caught. Do you know how awkward it would have been if Harshwhinny found out what you did? And you need to treat the anthem with a bit more respect!"

"Eh, I wouldn't care. Some of the reason I did that was to spite her snobby attitude. And besides, if I know how she operates, she'll figure it out sometime." Fury admitted. Then came the karma of his actions.

"Mr. Fury!" A voice howled.

"Speak of the devil…" Fury chuckled, this time smiling at the more furious inspector stomping her way to him.

"Mr. Fury, I have just found what appears to be black fur in the radio room that is clearly not the fur of a pony! Care to explain that?"

"Yeah, it's mine. I'm getting close to shedding season anyway." Fury said casually, scratching at his back with his rear paw and knocking loose his shedding fur like a dog.

"So you admit you did it?" Harshwinny glared at him like a tiger with its prey.

"No, cause the radio room is on the way to the bathrooms. And besides, a gust of wind could have blown that piece of fur under the door." Fury lied, not even looking in her direction. Harshwhinny was getting even more irritated as he became more laid back and dismissive.

"How dare you! You cannot even admit to your crime?! I should have you punished for this atrocity, you disrespectful vandal!"

"Ain't nobody care, sweet cheeks! I could give less of a hoot what you or anyone else thinks. I'm a free bird, and I ain't coming down for a landing anytime soon!" Fury said as he began to sing to himself.

🎶Flyyyyy Hiiiiigh, Free Bird, Yeah!🎶

He transformed into a bird soaring while singing his tune.

Harshwinny looked like she was going to blow a gasket as Fury landed and transformed back.

"Ms. Harshwinny, I think you should let it go." Twilight advised. "He is too popular amongst the crowds. Doing anything would cause an outrage. Even if his supposed actions are childish." She whispered the last part.

"Yeah, let it go." Fury chuckled, singing again.

🎶Let it go, let it go! Don't hold it back anymore!🎶

He then started laughing again, which finally pushed Harshwhinny over the edge and forced her to say the most disgusting and unwarranted insult anypony could and would hear.

"YOU SPEED SHIFTERS MAKE ME SICK! MAYBE WE SHOULD HAVE LISTENED TO PRINCE BLUEBLOOD AND BARRED YOUR KIND FROM US DECENT PONIES!" Harshwhinny ranted. Ponies freezed in place as they stopped walking by and muttering started to flourish. The Mane Six and the princesses were shocked at the blatant lack of restraint that came from the inspector. Lastly, Fury turned around to face her. But strangely, he was still smiling.

"What are you gonna do about it? Huh? Do something, we'll settle this one on one and then we'll see who's better." He smirked. "And just so you know, I don't care. So how about you do what you are best at doing with that oversized mouth of yours and suck on it!"

Harshwinny was scared for the first time ever since she was a filly, though she tried to put on an uncaring facade which Fury could tell was failing.

"Y-you are just as bad as the rest of them! I can't imagine what type of disgusting things you-"

"Shut up." Fury said. "You wanna fight?"

Harshwhinny did a double take. "What?"

"Do you… wanna put your hooves up and fight? Because if there's one thing that I fight for, it's my honor. And let me tell you, there is no way that a scrawny… self-entitled… self-righteous little tick like you can surely stand up to me and put up a good fight." Fury said, taking a few steps closer to the inspector. He cracked his neck and moved slowly into a fighting stance.

"I-I used to be 3 time champion of the Equestria Games! I am not a weakling!" Harshwinny faintly said.

"Well let's see if that's enough to take me on. You wanna go, prissy pony? Let's go."

Harshwhinny was face to face with the one she angered. She was about to challenge him, but she realized that that would not be very wise.

"It's not worth it." Harshwinny said, turning back in defeat. "I'll let you go this time. I'm leaving."

"Oh uh uh, I'm not done. Get you musty, overgrown tail back here and face me."

"Fury, let it go!" Twilight cried out briefly. But Cadence restrained her.

"Oh would you just can it, Sparkle Butt? I don't have the time to talk to you. And besides, you think I don't remember what you called me back in Canterlot?" Fury reminded her.

"Um, what did I call you?" Twilight softly asked.

"Oh so you don't remember now? What a surprise. How about you let everyone who heard you explain? Everyone who froze up when you spoke, everyone who was stunned by your words." He calmly said, pointing to the group behind her.

"Yeah I remember, Twilight, you said he was a… what was it? Oh yeah! 'A dangerous creature running loose in Equestria.' Yep, that's you to our buddy." Rainbow said with disgust.

The rest of the Mane Six nodded along even Fluttershy and Pinkie Pie.

"I I didn't mean to-"

"Save it. I waited to get the repercussions thrown at you because I wanted to see the look on your face when you realized you went overboard. First, you're causing problems just to meet some self-imposed deadline. Now, you're solving problems in the most effective and efficient way possible… evaporating someone who doesn't have the same views as the creatures around him. What a brilliant idea." Fury said.

Twilight was silenced and waited to hear more from him.

"To everyone in earshot, this is what I do to prove I want to live amongst you all! I know you may see me as a threat to the peace and serenity of this land, maybe a threat to your children and loved ones. But just know, I'm not choosing to do this. I'm doing this because it's what I see is the right way to handle it. You may not agree with how I do it, but just be aware that I do it to protect my honor and ward off any misinformation about me." Fury spoke to the ponies that had gathered.

"I… I understand." Twilight nodded in understanding.

Meanwhile Harshwinny was slowly sneaking away, thinking Fury was distracted.

"Ah ah ah, I can still see you. Come here." Fury said. Harshwhinny's ears fell flat as she approached him.

"As for you, I want you to look me in the eyes and admit that you are not in any way, shape or form in the right to talk down about my kind. Especially when addressing the ambassador of said species."

"I- I-"

"Also, I have some ground rules to set." Fury said, standing tall.

"Again, to all who can hear me, take this as not only a reminder… but a warning. This is what happens when you step out of line with me and my kind as a whole. I am going to not only be a part of your social hierarchy, but embedded in the roots of history between us. I may be friendly most of the time, and can be a face you can trust. But if you step out of line, I will retaliate with reasonable force on the way I see fit." He said sternly, turning back to Harshwhinny.

"Now that I think about it, you shouldn't be just apologizing to me." Fury stated, turned Harshwhinny's head to the princesses. "You should also be apologizing to them."

"What? W-why?" Harshwhinny asked.

"For indirectly insulting their judgment in trusting me with such a responsibility and insulting their decisions to accommodate me within the role of ambassador." Fury stated. "Go on, speak your peace."

Harshwinny looked into the princesses' judgemental faces and bowed to them.

"I am sorry for my misbehavior. I am sorry for disobeying your will to treat Speed Shifters with dignity. I am sorry for mocking your judgment. I will never do or say such things to insult the honor of Speed Shifters. If I do so, may I be punished tenfold." Harshwinny said to the princesses. The princesses gave each other a few looks to each other before nodding to Night Fury, deeming the apology sufficient.

"Now be on your way, things are still in motion here." Fury said, allowing Harshwhinny to quickly take her leave before addressing the crowd.

"Alright everypony, listen up! This may be a little setback, but it's nothing too big. We've still got the Equestria Games to worry about. And don't worry, I'll still be here for any of you who need me, you are all like the biggest family I've had ever since I came here. Now let's have some fun, yeah?!"

"You know what? I could use some fun now." Said surprisingly, Twilight. "Let's have a good make up party! You ready Pinkie?"

"YOU BETCHA!"

And so everyone had a fun time of parties, games and revelry. It truly was a time of triumph for not just Fury but all of the Ponyville team and the Crystal Empire.

PreviousChapters Next