• Published 29th Jul 2021
  • 1,524 Views, 69 Comments

To Equestria And Beyond (Rewrite In Progress) - NightFurySpeedey8156

  • ...
21
 69
 1,524

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 12: A Trip Down Memory Lane

Night Fury sat in his bed with his head turned to the ceiling, he had something in particular on his mind. He was wondering what his past was like for his ancestors, what they did that was different from how his kind did things in the present day. He hummed to himself as he tried to imagine what his ancestors were like, what they looked like and how they acted. His thoughts seem to bounce around the walls of his villa as he couldn't seem to come to a conclusion.

All of this was brought upon by a question from Fancy Pants. He along with some of his friends (or maybe a better way to say would be ponies trying to get the Prince's favor) were curious about Night Fury's people. Their history, their lifestyle, their traditions. When he talked to Twilight about this, she could hardly contain her excitement and said both she and Fancy Pants would love to educate ponies about the Speed Shifter's culture and they gave the idea to make a Museum. Although Night Fury was not the most scholarly of Speed Shifters in his people's history, he started to be interested.

And while this might be a great way to have ponies learn about the culture of these mysterious felines, the question was where to start.

"Night Fury, what did you get yourself into?" he said to himself. Sure he had some private Speed Shifter possessions like his ring or earrings, but that what he had was few and anyways it was personal and he would rather keep it for himself.

"It would be nice to go back to my village, and get some materials and info from there. But it would take a long time for me to get there and I don't want them to know about what I've been doing just yet. Not till preparations have been made."

knock knock

He sped downstairs and opened the door where he saw a gray haired politician who seemed older than she really was. It was Mayor Mare.

"Uh hello, ma'am, what may I do for you?"

"Twilight told me about this museum problem and I do have some records of some ruins that might be curious for you. One of them was in the Everfree Forest and there appeared to be a stone settlement with statues of Felines fighting.

Night Fury gasped at this. Could this really be an ancient settlement of Speed Shifters deep in this uncharted lands that even his Chief and the other elders didn't know about?

"Are you serious? That sounds awesome! Oh boy, I can't wait to go there! Heh back into the forest like the good old days!"

However, Mayor Mare looked quite nervous, unlike Night Fury. She seemed worried.

"What's the big deal? If you're worried about creatures, I am a perfect match!"

"Well, you should be aware two archaeological parties went and disappeared looking for this lost city." The middle aged mare said nervously while wiping her glasses. "This is something you will need extreme caution with. If you go into those woods of the Everfree Forest then you will need some powerful friends."

"How powerful are we talking, mayor?"

The Mayor paused as she contemplated his question before leaning in and whispering into his ear.

"Alicorn powerful." She whispered. "There are reports of abnormally strong creatures there."

Night Fury was a little surprised. He never expected somewhere like Ponyville to have so close by an inhospitable forest like that.

"Well, that would be nice to fight alongside alicorns. But wouldn't they be a bit too busy to help me here? Maybe Twilight can help instead?" he asked.

"Twilight I'm afraid isn't available. She is on a quest with her friends to assist an old couple get to the desert beyond Appleloosa. They need all the beyond they can get."

Night Fury put a paw to his chin in thought, who could come along with him to take care of this problem? Since his Ponyville friends were busy, where could he get some help to come with him?

"Wait, I've got it! Mayor Mare, I think I have a plan." He said confidently. "I know a princess who doesn't have a busy schedule. Princess Luna!"

"Oh, really? Well, you know the princesses better than some small town mare like me! If you think that can work then by all means go for it!" the mayor encouraged.

This was quite exciting for the black feline. Having a quest with Luna? That would be the best, he knows she likes secret places. And what's the secret behind this lost outpost?

"Are you sure you won't need anymore help? I could pay for some bodyguards for you." she said worried for him.

"Ma'am, for people like me and Luna, bodyguards would probably be more of a hiderance since we probably would protect them instead. We can handle ourselves." he said with a cocky smile.

"Hmmm, you have the spirit of the original pioneers of Ponyville like Granny Smith. Very well then." She gave Night a small bag of documents and a manual. "These are some maps and reports of what little we do know of the lost outpost. And this manual will tell you the dangers you might encounter in the Everfree Forest."

"Okay then! Sounds good. By the way, if I find this place, can I call it Night Fury City? I think others would like it." he said with a chuckle.

Mayor Mare rolled her eyes. "We'll find out after you report back to us. Anyways that's all I have. Good luck, newcomer! And stay safe!" Mayor Mare then went back to her office for her other tasks.

Afterwards Night Fury asked Spike to take a letter to Princess Luna. She agreed to do so. She wrote that she was "Happy to benefit your people and also to explore these mysterious areas". She said she would meet him soon.

After night went by, Night Fury was ready to get some shut eye waiting for the big day ahead. When suddenly…

Boom

He jumped out of his bed and saw clouds were spiraling around. Was there some sort of tornado going to form? But then he saw a carriage guided by two guards with bat wings descending onto his front lawn. He saw the mysterious hooded figure walk out and when after this figure removed the hood he realized it was his friend.

"Luna?" he said while running out of his villa and to her. "Wow, you sure know how to make an entrance!" he said with excitement. "I didn't expect you to come this soon and at night!"

"Why this is simply part of how the princess of the night makes her announcements. And I think you know as well as me, I prefer going out at night instead of blinding daylight!!!" she said with some anger. "How does my sister tolerate it?!... Oh, uh sorry."

"Nah it's okay, I understand. The night is soothing and you can sneak around with no one watching you. It makes it mysterious, that's for sure." Fury said in an almost predatory way.

"You speak my language, Night Fury."

"So, are we gonna go to sleep now?"

"No. We are going out right now."

"Wow really? I would love to but would you-"

"I am The Princess Of The Night. I have seen my fair share of nocturnal beasts, some small, some great. I am perfectly ready to do it at this time. Unless you would rather not do so…" she teased him.

Night Fury could never resist one of these late night adventures his mother would always scold him for.

"No way madam, I say if you're game, I'm game. I have everything set for us! Rations! Documents! Two nice tents for us! We're all set." he said confidently.

"Then let us not waste time and get moving."

They both proceeded to walk to the Everfree Forest in the light of a crescent moon. To a normal pony, this would be the worst time to adventure. But to these two, it was simply a walk in the park.

Later…

As they were walking in the Everfree Forest, the two noticed the sense of strangeness to the place. It felt so chaotic. Even Night Fury who had traversed many a jungle felt like there was some energy to this forest.

"Well, what do you think of this place so far, Fury?"

"It's a lot more dense than I thought," he said, climbing a tree by a swamp, walking off a bough and then leaping to the tree across the swamp. "And the size of these trees! They could give the jungle I lived in a run for its money."

"That is true." Luna simply flew across the swamp. "So, where are we on the map?"

"Well, the map says we are approaching Cockatrice cave. And according to the journal of earth pony Tomato Seeds, the first explorer to try to investigate said we have to go past the cave to get to our path. But… he also mentions how he saw a slab with paw symbols that he wasn't able to retrieve. That sounds like my people's writing system! Perhaps I can understand it and it will give clues! We should go in!" he said with eagerness.

"Um, Night Fury, do you even know what a cockatrice is?"

"Nope! But if they're chickens like their name implies, then I can just scare them off!"

"Well, for your information, these cockatrices are able to turn you into stone from their very sight." Luna said.

"I've seen crazy creatures in my life but that sounds a little far… Ow! What was… that?"

He saw two old fashioned explorer statues.

"Huh, these are nice statues. They look just like explor- Wait. These look like explorers!"

Night Fury realized that these pony explorers looked like the ones from a photo of Tomato Seed's expedition party. These were the ones he mentioned went missing! Now Night Fury realized the situation at hand.

"Oh my gosh…! Are you serious?! That is horrifying!" Night Fury said with genuine fear. "We need to watch out for these creatures. And no way am I reading that slab in the lair with all the cockatrices!"

Luna nodded and they proceeded to walk past the cave until…

"Wait," Luna said. "This journal by another explorer named Star Storm says that there is an ancient story in the records that states that certain creatures like cats or snakes are able to resist their gaze. And some with enough command over nature, can stop their stone penetration. Such as Fluttershy, who can tame animals."

"Oh yeah! Since my kind has the power to turn into any creature they choose, including cockatrices, we are immune to their petrifying stare." Night Fury said, recalling what his elders have told him about his powers. "And better yet, we don't even have to be in the same form as said creature to gain immunity. Which is good for me, because I still don't have control over that ability yet."

"Impressive! Your ability reminds me of changelings!"

"In a way, but unlike them, we retain our color. So even if I were a manticore I would appear black. So it's mostly for fighting although we might blend in with less perceptible animals."

"Very interest- Wait, I hear something in the bush!

They watched from the bush to see a cockatrice. It looked kind of silly to Night Fury. But he knew of the danger they posed.

"Stand back Luna, and cover your eyes. Let me handle this." Fury said sternly as he walked closer to the cockatrice. Luna covered her eyes with her wings, but opened them slightly to see the scene that was about to unfold so as to not miss the impending action.

"Alright, you weird little chicken snake, bring it on." He said in a cold voice, slowly extending his claws to both show that he was ready for a fight and that he was serious.

It ran and tried to peck Night Fury but he dodged it while trying to slap the creature. But the Cockatrice was fast and also dodged. They kept it up trading blows when finally they looked into each other's eyes.

They both stared quite a bit. This was now or never. They gazed intensely until finally the cockatrice gave up. It was utterly exhausted and decided to retreat into the woods. But Night Fury wasn't gonna let it go so easily.

"Come back here, you tasty little vermin! Let me have a slice of you!"

"Fury stop! It's retreating. We have to keep on going now to the cave!"

"Yeah yeah, but what's the fun in letting your enemies get away? And besides, that little thing could be my dinner!" Fury said, drooling slightly.

That stare must have unleashed a carnal instinct. This is not like Fluttershy's stare. I have to stop him before he goes on a rampage. Unless…

"Halt Night Fury, if you want a cockatrice then may I recommend the cave? There are a whole bunch of them! Use your animal nature for something productive! What do you say?!" Luna asked him.

"You know what, you're right! Why waste time with one of them when there's a bunch held up in the cave. And as a bonus, we can get to that slab of ancient text once I clear the place out! Hohohooo, one free feast coming right up!" Fury said, completely focused on the cockatrices inside the cave as he raced in and went for it.

ROARRRRR!!!

Luna heard a cacophony of noises. It sounded like a warzone there.

The lone cockatrice that was still outside the cave with her looked towards the lunar princess with a terrified look.

"I wouldn't count your blessings that he's in there and not out here, you're probably going to be the dessert." She said bluntly, the scared chicken snake whimpering as the loud noises continued.

"RAWKKKKK!!!!" The cockatrice ran as quickly as possible from the terrifying creature.

"Alright I think this has gone on long enough," Luna said. "Now it's time to snap him back to normal."

She went in and saw him still eating a cockatrice. She was pretty disgusted but she has seen worse in her dreams.

"Alright Night Fury, you have had your cravings now turn back to normal so we can continue."

"Urp, ahhhh! Ok Luna, but let me tell you, I haven't eaten like that in years!" He said, burping loudly as he had been satisfied with his rather large meal.

"I am not surprised" Luna rolled her eyes.

"Oh, that felt awesome! I really had a great feast. Maybe I can have one more cockatrice…"

STOMP

"SILENCE NIGHT FURY! YOU ARE TO RESTORE YOURSELF AND GET BACK TO THE MISSION IMMEDIATELY! THAT IS AN ORDER!"

"Ahhhh!" Night Fury yelled in fear. He never witnessed anything like her. And then all of a sudden he felt… calm again.

"Oh wow… I went all out, didn't I?" He looked at all the cockatrices he had eaten, mere skeletons being the only remnants of their existence.

"Yes indeed, you did. I thought you were going to tear up the whole cave."

"Heh, sorry about that. It was quite a meal at least, heh."

Luna still looked at him seriously.

"But… yeah I think that stare is something I'll have to be more careful with. When I was battling that cockatrice, I could tell how fierce it was. And I think its ferocity passed over to me."

"I'm just glad you're back to normal."

"I would like it if you didn't tell anypony this part about Speed Shifters, at least not yet. We wouldn't want ponies like Blueblood causing a fuss over this. I'll try to be more in control of my instincts. I guess my father hasn't taught me about controlling instincts yet since I was so young."

"Agreed. But let's get back to the slab."

They both looked at the slab and while Luna was confused, Night Fury instantly read the inscription.

"Wow, it's an ancient tablet. It seems to entail the source of my ability to change my form. This must be at least a couple hundred, if not a couple thousand years old. My people haven't used this writing method for what feels like forever." Fury said, looking over the slab of ancient text.

He was amazed at this information in this slab. This is information that the sages would have died to retrieve. He proceeded to take a picture with a camera and Luna used her spell to quickly copy the slab's text to the journal.

"We could use this for the museum." Luna said.

"Absolutely!" Night Fury said, trying to pick up the tablet. It was a bit heavy so Luna levitated it on her back which was barely an issue for her.

"Wow, you ponies are really strong. For many Speed Shifters that would be uncomfortable."

"Well, ponies are designed to carry heavy loads, especially Earth Ponies. As an alicorn, I combine the powers of all three pony races, in this case the strength of Earth Ponies." Luna explained.

"Fascinating. I remember tales from our elders of some all powerful Speed Shifters that are too awesome for words. Some say that they may have even had the combined power that could rival an alicorn like you! I wonder if we'll find that information later in that settlement or this tablet under further research."

"Would you like to go back now? We already have this tablet which will already give ponies an idea of your culture." Luna said.

Night Fury shook his head.

"Nuh uh. One tablet does not make a museum. We gotta go deeper, we need to find that settlement. And besides, I'm having too much fun exploring." Night Fury said. "In fact, let me see that tablet again! Maybe it will give us more info!"

Luna said to herself that she should have known Night Fury would want to keep going. He is a creature of the night and the wild after all. She levitated the tablet to the eager feline.

"Let's see… let's see… Hey, what's this?" He saw something that caught his eye.

"What is it?"

"It's a poem. It seems dedicated to the greatness of a city called the Silverblue City named so for being built around turquoise and silver."

"Turquoise is not native to the area around Ponyville. It must have been imported but this area used to have a mine of silver." Luna recalled.

"I see." Night Fury said, still reading it. "It seems like they talk about how this city used to be a land of demigods and how it used to have one hundred years of peace and prosperity. In a city with exotic flowers, for a Speed Shifter, a huge fountain and a just dynasty who ruled fairly except for a few bad apples. And how the moonlight and stars reflected on the silver giving a beautiful aura"

"That sounds absolutely beautiful. I wish I had gone there. It might have been even before my time. If only Tomato Seed had seen this tablet." Luna wondered aloud. But then she realized something. "Wait, 'used to be'? So when that dedicatory poem was written, it was already gone?"

"Yeah, it seems to be." Fury said. "I guess this is some nostalgic throwback to the good days. I wonder what happened to the Silverblue?"

"Perhaps we can get more answers, when we find the lost city. Let us get back on course," Luna said. "Is there any information there that might be a clue?"

"Well, it says a river of dreadful beasts used to trouble the city until they were cleared out. They were part feline, part scorpion, and part bat."

"So, manticores." Luna said.

"So maybe we have to follow a river!" Fury said.

"That seems fairly obvious." she said with a bit of snark. "The problem is that the manticores were apparently cleared out. And there are many rivers."

"I see. Hmmm. Is there any description of this river?"

"It seems not. Hmmm let me… ow." Luna bumped into some skeletons but it was not of cockatrices, they were of manticores.

"Wow, that's a lot of bones. It's like a manticore graveyard." Then Fury noticed a claw point. "There seemed to be a raid from Speed Shifters here, the claw marks at unmistakable. Let's check around the cave!"

Night Fury and Luna proceeded to scan the area. But they found no rivers. But when they were about to give up they noticed a depression in the ground that formed a sort of mini valley. They realized this was the dried river.

"We found her!" Night Fury said eagerly. "Come on Luna let's get going!" he said as he ran over the river bed.

Luna did not expect Night Fury to have good detective skills but here he was. She was fairly impressed.

So they proceeded up the river bed realizing they were not going to see just some minor little colony but a lost city that could rival the Crystal Empire.

After an hour of walking on the dried river bed, the two had still not seen any in this city. But they did notice a few silver stones in the river bed.

"Just be patient we're getting there." Fury said even though he was more impatient than Luna to see this great monument.

Luna didn't say anything as she was lost in thought. She was wondering what this city would be like and what its fate was.

"Dang it." Night Fury said. "We still haven't found any clues except for some silver shards.

Luna decided to look in the thesis of the second explorer Star Storm. Now he had not written anything about the city but it seems he had another artifact, an ancient scroll preserved in an airtight jar, that they didn't have at the moment. Since he did not read the Claw Script, he could only guess from the pictures.

"It says it is 'concealed from those who are evil, that is in a place where white flowers from the sky pour onto the sides of a bowl'."

"What's that supposed to mean? That sounds like one of my aunt's terrible recipes."

Luna thought about it. So far she had not seen any white flowers in the Everfree Forest. They wouldn't grow well.

"Wait, what if it's a metaphor?!"

"A what?"

"A metaphor for something that stands in for something else." Luna said. "Quick, what could white flowers from the sky be?"

"Well maybe…um…snow?"

"Yes, snow! And it is on the sides of the mountain. Well there is only one mountain with snow which is over there! And it forms a bowl protecting the city with a round rock wall!" Luna said.

"In that case we should go over there! To that mountain!"

"Agreed!"

A few minutes later they made it and found a cave. Using some flares and sketching a map so they could return easily, they started to notice something bright in the distance.

Night Fury quickly went in and what he and Luna saw was something they never could imagine.

There they saw a metropolis double the size of The Crystal Empire. And they witnessed literal buildings made of silver and some gold. And they noticed turquoise carvings in the area.

"It is simply divine." Luna said, impressed.

"Yeah you're telling me." Night Fury said.

As they walked around the paved stone walkway they noticed it was guarded by statues of chiefs, some serpents, and even a few half serpent half feline creatures.

"My goodness. How did we not know of this place?" Luna said.

"I guess that's what happens if the place is abandoned and it seems like the top is covered by a roof." Night Fury said wondering if the speed shifters wanted it to be hidden. Perhaps from manticores?

"Well either way I suppose we should just collect some artifacts here and go put them in the museum. We need to find some figurines." Luna said.

"Sounds good to me. There are several buildings here to go. So let's go do some collecting!" Fury said eagerly.

The two proceeded to look through some of the buildings. They looked at places like a granary, a speed shifter ball game, the barracks and other buildings.

They found some nice things like some rollers and old grains stored in pots, some spears and arrows, and even a ball used for play.

Luna seemed quite satisfied. She felt like she was ready to report these things. But not Night Fury.

"That's all we collected?! I was hoping for something cooler! Something kind of like that slab we found. We need more. And I think I know just where to go…" He said looking at the huge pyramid made of silver but with gold animals over the silver background. And it had many precious stones, not just turquoise but others like jade.

He realized this pyramid had to have something extraordinary in there. Maybe some more lost lore of the Speed Shifter past. Maybe some jewelry. Maybe even a prophecy.

"Night Fury, we already have enough. We should just go back. Temples if reading those Daring Do books is any indication, these temples tend to be very dangerous. I know from personal experience that they can be deadly."

"You think I don't know that? And I still went in anyways!" He said already walking up the stairs. "Let's go. And we'll keep the okay artifacts outside the pyramid in case the worst happens."

Luna sighed. Night Fury always wanted to go for the big prize even if it was a bit more dangerous.

This will be a long night

-

As they went into the entrance they noticed it felt more ominous. The floors had some red in them and the walls instead of displaying inspiring tales of heroes, showed skeletons and some death.

"This seems like an ominous place." Luna said.

"I prefer the words fun and exciting." he said with confidence but with a tinge of worry.

As they went into a hallway they saw an inscription.

THOSE WHO WISH TO LEARN OUR PEOPLE'S SECRETS MUST VENTURE FORTH. ARE YOU WORTHY OR NOT? IF YOU BELIEVE YOU ARE, GO ON INTO THE TOMB AND WE SHALL SEE IF YOU ARE WORTHY.

They noticed an arrow on the floor pointing to the door which said the word tomb.

"It's nice they're so inviting." Night Fury said sarcastically. "Whatever they got in store for us, we'll be ready."

Luna was a bit nervous. But she knew she was powerful and she was ready for anything.

Before Nightfury opened the door he made sure he and Luna were a little too right just in case…

Woosh

The darts shot straight through. The classic temple trick.

He walked in the door and noticed it was a fine looking jar. He decided to open it, waiting for any booby traps and he saw…

"Nothing?"

But soon he heard some levers and gears turning and he noticed the door was locked!

"What is going on?!" Luna asked with some shock.

"I guess we're gonna find out!"

And notice they did. They saw a bunch of wooden statues of Speed Shifters with darts in their mouths. Night Fury was ready for this. He used his powers to go through these. He was powerful and quick enough to dodge them and destroy them. Meanwhile Luna was shooting these statues.

While all the darts they shot out were much, they finally destroyed all of them.

"Oh boy, I need a break."

"I could use some relaxation too." Luna said.

"Let's keep on walking, maybe we'll find stairs to the lower level."

As they walked, they noticed a lot of moss, and then even a few plants like flowers. It was quite an aroma in these hallways.

"I am surprised that vegetation is able to grow in these areas." Luna said.

"Well, I heard my grandparents say when they were hiding from a rival tribe for a few months, they used some special crystals to create light for the plants to grow and used an underground lake for water. Maybe this is why the Speed Shifters traded with the Crystal Empire for these special abilities."

"Ah, very interesting." Luna said. "Your people knew quite a bit about how to make things work. It might even be useful for us ponies."

"Yeah… Wait, what's that?"

They hid behind a bush and they saw a manticore for whatever reason a giant Cragodile taking a nap.

"I think we should go another way." Luna said.

"Yeah, maybe."

The two proceeded to go through the caves putting flares for the sake of navigation and they start to notice even more greenery, especially vines.

They had better things to do then to look at vines because they found some stairs finally on the other side of the hallway. The two kept on walking through the vines, soon noticing a subtle tickling sensation.

"Heh, I wonder what that was?" Luna asked.

"Heh heh I don't heh heh know, but we're ha ha almost there ha ha ha ha!!!"

As they laughed more they noticed vines were blocking the way.

"Let me try and cut some of them!" As Fury was about to chop one of them, it wrapped around his arm. And he could feel the little hairs and then he laughed like he never had in his life.

"HA HA HA HA HA!!! IT TICKLES SO MUCH!!!"

As they were being tickled and wrapped up slightly they heard another sound. One that sounded like the dreadful Cragodile Fury heard as a youngster.

"The vines ha!" Luna said. "They seem ha ha ha to have minds of their own! Their scent combined with those small hairs makes it easy to laugh out loud!" she said, reluctantly laughing.

"If we keep this up, that creature is gonna find us instantly! We have to get out of here!" Fury said while laughing.

Fury used some of his speed shifter energy to get himself and Luna out of the vines. But more were being regenerated.

As they flew and ran for their lives and silence the vines started to try to chase after them through the hallways. But it was probably a trap since they went into a hallway with so many vines they partially brushed their flesh. They tried their hardest not to laugh but could not resist.

ROARRRRRRRR

The two noticed not one but three Cragodile's drawn to the excessive laughter.

"I think this is it for us, Night Fury!" Luna said. "We should have just been satisfied with the artifacts we had!"

"Look, everything will be fine! There's never been a situation ha ha I couldn't myself out of! Just truhahast me!"

Night Fury had to think of what to do. Cragodile's were running surprisingly quickly to them and the vines were tickling them and slowing them down.

"Wait… I got it! Stay still Luna!"

The giant reptiles were about to munch on the two.

"Luna, you have to jump on the Cragodile 's neck!"

"Are you insane?!" Luna asked.

"Yeah, I sure am but that will save our behinds. Get ready!"

As the Cragodile's were about to feast on them, Night Fury and Luna jumped on them, making the other Cragodile's try to also jump on it.

While that was going on the three Cragodile's touched the vines. And then the vines started to wrap around them causing the most horrifying sound ever.

RA KA KA KA KA!!!

The Cragodile's were laughing. They were now distracted by these vines.

"What just happened?" Luna said no longer laughing.

"I made the Cragodile's hit the vines so they would be focused on them instead of us. I especially made sure their sensitive neck was the part that got tickled." Night Fury said.

Luna saw that the Cragodile's were being tickled to such an extent they sounded like hyenas. It seems like the vines might actually suffocate them eventually. It was a bewildering experience but now they could finally make it to the stairs.

"Well, we better leave before the Ticklorus Vienna or tickle vines get back to us!" the princess said.

"Yeah, let's get outta here!"

Night Fury and Luna both finally went downstairs.

Hoping not to see another dart trap or raving Cragodile, they expected the worst.

Once they walked down the stairs, they noticed how much darker it seemed.

"Wow, it's pretty dark down here. It's a good thing us felines have natural night vision." Night Fury said, relieved that his genetics were coming in handy.

"You're lucky you felines can do that. I have to use this glow spell to light up the place. My eyes as well as my Night Guards are better than the average pony at seeing the dark but even we need some light from another source."

"Yep, it's great to be a Speed Shifter!" Night Fury bragged.

The two adventurers finally made it to the bottom floor. It was unlike the other floors being that it felt damp and soft.

"I think we might have reached the bottom of the building and made it to the ground." Luna said, a bit grossed out by the moist dirty environment. Night Fury seemed to not worry since his people were used to this.

They wandered the floor for a few minutes. They were a bit frustrated that there was not any obvious door they could see.

"Hmmm, maybe it's a secret passage that we have to look for. Something not that obvious but might give us a clue." Fury chimed in "Let's try and look for something that's out of place, maybe we could find our way to this ancient treasure."

They began to look around the passage, searching for something that stuck out from the darkness. They soon came to the end of the dark hall where three torches were hanging on the wall.

"Hmm, maybe we made a wrong turn. These torches don't seem out of place down here." Luna said, now having doubts that this treasure even existed.

"Luna, wait! I see something." Night Fury called out, pointing at the torches. "Look at the middle torch, it's a fake made out of hardened glass! My mom liked to show me her hardened glass figurines she would sell and showed me how to recognize the little details."

Luna took a few steps closer to the three torches, lo and behold, the central torch was made out of hardened glass.

"Your right, the torch is a fake. The glow of the other two must have kept any suspicion from leaking out. Good eyes." She said, giving a wink. Fury blushed at the compliments, he felt like the luckiest cat in the world to have gotten to go on an adventure with her.

"Thanks, I appreciate it. Now, let's see what this holds." Fury said excitedly, pulling the now revealed secret lever down. They started to hear creaking and clicking noises, clearly the sound of old, rusted gears turning. The sounds continued to ring out for a few seconds and stopped. The two looked around them and they couldn't see anything that had changed, maybe the lever was a dud.

"Huh, maybe the lever was a fake. Whoever made this must have known that a trick like this was too simple for anyone to figure out." Fury said, a little disappointed.

"You may be right, I don't see anything differ-" Before Luna could finish her sentence, the floor under them gave way and dropped them onto a hidden slide.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhh!!!" Luna and Night Fury cried out. They were going fast to someplace they did not know where. Even for Night Fury this was a bit too much. He had his claws at the ready in case he had to use them to hang on if there was a cliff or if an enemy was waiting for them.

Finally they reached the end. And to their relief it was not spikes or fearsome creatures. It was a room.

"Well that was… interesting." Fury said, breathing heavily from the sudden adrenaline rush. "You wanna do it again?"

Wack!

"Ow! I was just joking, just trying to lighten things up!"

"Well, it wasn't funny." Luna said sternly. "I do not like being out of control like that. I'm just thankful we didn't get lured to some horrible fate."

"Yeah, you definitely made that apparent, sheesh." He said, rubbing his neck from Luna's strong earth pony-like hit.

Night Fury then saw something unlike the wet and damp room of nothingness. It sparkled which while not out of the ordinary up above, it was down under the pyramid.

"Uh Luna, you see what I'm seeing?" He questioned.

"I think I do. It looks like a statue of… one of your kind but larger and with long front fangs like a sabertooth tiger." She said, looking at the large regal figure.

Luna took to her hooves, helping Night Fury up with her as she kept her eyes on the peculiar sight. They walked towards the statue and observed it, it was indeed a sabertooth tiger that was on display before them.

"Hey, it's got some engraving on the bottom." Fury said, turning his attention to a bronze plaque that was at the statue's base.

Emperor SnowDrift

The First Speed Shifter

"Luna, this isn't just a statue… This is a memorial for the birther of my kind!" Fury said as he looked up at the statue.

"Do you recognize this creature?"

"Recognize him? Luna, this guy is a living legend among my people! Legend has it that he took on the Windagos head to head and defeated them with ease. Our kind have believed that he was the reason the Windagos are nothing more than ethereal spirits now instead of having physical forms!"

Luna was amazed at this. She never thought that those dreadful beasts used to be of the physical realm. She shuddered to think what kind of creatures they were before becoming ethereal.

"If that is true, that happened even before me, even before the unification of Equestria, even before the six Pillars of Harmony formed the Elements!"

"But that's just a minor feat compared to his sheer importance. He was the first to unite our disparate feline tribes into one glorious empire! Whether Speed Shifter, Cougar or even Abyssinian, we all revere him. He was basically the equivalent to Celestia in our culture."

Luna was amazed. There were few creatures as powerful as the alicorns. But this one could have been more powerful than even Celestia.

"That is astounding, we have to find something for the records!" She said

"And I know exactly what. Look, there's a scroll in his mouth." Fury pointed out. He climbed the statue and pulled the scroll out of the statue's mouth, hopping down and opening it to read it.

"Huh, it seemed to be in an older version of my kind's writing techniques. No problem, it's nothing I can't decipher." Fury said as he began to read the scroll.

"For one to bring the light, you must take on the darkest fights. For only one will stand with victory, their name forever embedded in history. From the ancient treasures that line this room, to the shrouded remains that will be my tomb." He read, reciting the poem with fluid speech.

"These must be his final words before he died." Luna pointed out.

"Yeah, and he seemed to have wanted someone to find it on purpose." Fury answered. He continued reading.

"With these final words, I bid you farewell. To the brave travelers who might find my cell. With these spoken words, I am happy to meet you. You have proven your strength and cunning. With this spell completed, it is time that I finally greet you." As Night Fury finished the poem, the parchment began to glow brightly. He became startled and dropped it, not knowing what spell he had supposedly enchanted.

"What was that?" Luna said.

"I don't know!" he said as saw some parchment glowing a bright blue. A ball of energy was being formed and expanding.

"Let's leave now!!!" Luna cried out while running away.

"Yeah! I… wait." Instead of running. He faced the aura of energy. He couldn't explain it but he felt like this was his destiny. His brain was telling him to hightail it out of there, but his heart was telling him to stay put.

"It would be impolite to not greet… the Emperor," Night Fury said while being engulfed by the light.

"Night Fury!!!!" Luna screamed, but her voice seemed to fade away from Fury's ears.

-

Night Fury seemed to be in some different world. He was in some snowy rocky landscape. It was cold. He wasn't used to cold temperatures.

"Where… where am I?" He said while shivering.

"Emperor! You said you would greet us! Please show your face, so I might know what you want me to do."

All he got in response was more shivering winds. He wrapped himself with pine needles. But he swore he could hear the wind speak as if it were directing him.

"H-hello, who's t-there?"

Go up the mountain…

"Go up the mountain, but where would that be?"

It blew even harder. Night Fury turned around and then he saw what appeared to be steps.

"Is this where you want me to go?"

The wind didn't answer this time. So Night Fury decided to walk up the stairs all the way up the mountain.

"Great more stairs. I can't even run because I'm so cold…"

But he kept on going up the mountain knowing that there had to be something to look forward to.

When he finally made it up the top, to his surprise instead of being hidden he saw a huge feline's back looking over the mountain perhaps in deep thought.

He was right behind this legendary feline.

"Emperor Snowdrift?" He called out to the mysterious figure.

"It is I," Night Fury said while bowing. "Night Fury from the Moonlight Tribe of Thunder Hollow. I have come seeking answers about my people. If I have wronged you, then I am truly sorry and will make amends-"

"You talk too much, young Speed Shifter." A low powerful voice emanated from the Emperor.

The Emperor turned around and looked him in the eyes. Night Fury felt terror like he never had before.

"I was simply observing these snow capped lands. Beautiful, are they not?"

"Um…"

"Well, speak up, I can't hear you!"

"Yes, Your Highness, they are very lovely and I would live here for the rest of my life!" Night Fury said hoping this would please him.

"Ha ha ha ha ha. Don't be so afraid. I am just making as the younglings say 'small talk'."

Night Fury then started to realize he was making a fool of himself. And that the emperor perhaps would appreciate strength instead.

He got up.

"Alright then, Emperor, I'm not going to waste any of our time anymore. I would like to ask where I am? And where is Luna? And why did you summon me here?"

"Slow down boy! I will answer all of them." he said with a bit of a deep but powerful laugh.

"First off, about the friend of yours called Luna. She is fine, in fact, she is right behind you in a bit of a confused fit. Don't worry about her, she'll recover out of her panic… eventually."

Fury was surprised that this emperor had a sense of humor. It was kind of like Celestia or himself. But with a somewhat darker and more ominous feel to his sense of humor.

"Heh heh… well, alright…. So in that case, where am I?"

"Why this place, my dear young friend, is the top of the Silverblue Mountain! You might have heard of a poem describing the snow falling into the basin."

"Hold on a second, sir. The whole area is covered in snow!"

"Why yes, this was during the reign of the Windagos. When the world was covered in frost. A world that I was born into. And this mountain is a reminder of that fact."

"You see, long ago the felines were once one people just making ends meet and having to deal with the cruel Windagos who tried to torment us and make us suffer by feasting on us." The Emperor said with a grim expression.

"Oh I got it!" Fury said. "You went here because it reminded you of some snowy mountains because of the snow on the mountain!"

"Nope, you have it in reverse. This was our original homeland before we migrated to the jungles."

"Wait, what?! So you're saying you guys lived here the whole time originally? Gee, I thought this was a land of ponies."

"The equines came later than us. So for sometime they were not aware of our presence in this area."

Night Fury was quite excited to get this new info. This is stuff not even the old sages or his parents had no knowledge of.

"So does that mean that instead of us selling turquoise we sold the silver and went into the jungles for turquoise?"

"That is correct, boy! I don't know how succeeding generations failed to understand these facts. But it shows the great failure of educating the next generations. But you seem to be quite knowledgeable."

"Well my teacher always told me how smart I was and how attentive I was." Night Fury lied, trying to impress him.

"That facial expression means you did not do well at school, did you?" He inquired.

"No I didn't." Fury admitted.

"Boy, I am the origin of your blood. You can't lie to me." He said, deadpanning. Fury sighed. "I was only asking you to see how you would respond. Well I guess that shows your Speed Shifter society needs better education."

"Okay okay, I wasn't as attentive as I said I was. But I do have one question though,"

"Then speak it, I am your friend here." The Emperor spoke calmly.

"As a child, I always wondered how my kind gained the ability to change our form and how we controlled it. I was hoping that my parents would have the answer, but something… bad happened to them before I could get one." Fury said sadly, recalling that fateful moment in his early adulthood.

"I see… I am sorry to hear about your parents… But to answer your question, we always tried but no matter what, us felines were always weak against the Windagos. At best we could delay them so that we could hide out. For a few years it got so bad that we decided we had had enough. As the young recently elected chief of the felines, I began to research about the traits of Windagos and to understand their mystical properties. As I, along with a group of other noble warriors, began research on a rare corpse of a Windigo, a rookie named Curious Paws touched it, and he started to glow."

Night Fury was paying a lot of attention now.

"But I realized the Windago's power was something that could be used to fight the Windagos. However it seemed only me, Curious Paws and three other felines were affected. But that was fine enough, the question was could they be used in battle."

"It gave us certain abilities like having quicker reflexes, and being more resistant to wounds. Nothing really impressive by modern Speed Shifter standards but we did better."

"Now our fights started to be more even, instead of rare pyrrhic victories, we started to actually regain territory. We were winning for a while but then we had to deal with the Windago's Queen."

Night Fury was hearing this as if he were a kid hearing his father tell stories.

"In the Battle of the Mountain, the queen was impossible to defeat. No matter how many times we slashed her, she simply shrugged it off. Most of us decided to retreat but then the aforementioned Curious Paws kept on fighting. And the Queen Windigo destroyed him not even giving him an honorable death but instead humiliated him. For my part I was both furious and ashamed. I wanted to quit the battle but this young clumsy naive warrior did not give up."

"So in my rage and sorrow, I decided to give one last stand to fight this dreadful queen. But somehow I felt different. The loss of a martyr made something come out of me. I felt there was a blue energy coming out of me. I didn't understand what it was but I realized I needed to use it before it was too late. So I ran and when I ran… I went fast like no other. I could see everything more slowly. My hits affected the queen and she roared in pain. And I did it so much that she literally disappeared and the snow melted along with her!"

Night Fury was in sheer awe. He never realized that it was because of the Windagos and an emotionally disruptive event that the Speed Shifters were created.

"From that point on, I felt strange. I felt like I was too light and I was not completely physical. Don't you see Fury, we are like the Windagos, partly energy. And our emotions are a massive part of how we now function."

"And so the group that got the Windago's magic became the Speed Shifters and we were rewarded and remembered in songs and poems for our legendary feats."

"After a generation, we became revered as we trained in these powers. But the other felines sometimes became jealous of us, and some of us Speed Shifters were power hungry and wanted to use their power to subjugate."

"And so in the City State of Silverblue, a Speed Shifter simply named the Night Tyrant killed his normal feline brother king and ruled with cruelty. With excessive taxes and overworking our people."

"The normal felines had enough and revolted. The tyrant had become so powerful, he became cocky. He justified giving the meat away from the commoners to his elite warriors and a mob of angry felines came in. They used trickery to lure the brute and… quartered him."

"What does quartered mean?" Fury naively asked.

"You do not want to know."

"But when he was defeated, all Speed Shifters were seen as tyrants and so some of us were massacred at night, even the ones who rebelled alongside them. So us survivors under my direction after I retired as chief led the Speed Shifters to migrate far away into the jungles. And that is why I led the Speed Shifters not only away from our homeland… But everyone refuses to remember our dark history. It's why our great Feline Empire lasted not 500 years as it seems to be retold but only 40 years"

Night Fury felt a chill up his spine. This was a dark past. No wonder why everyone chose to forget it.

"I can't believe that Tyrant dude ruined everything. He ruined all the dreams of hope and unity we once had. Thank goodness the ponies didn't have to go through this."

"Well before the Tyrant used to be another great hero. But he got corrupted by his power and some say him with his powers turned him into a monster. Instead of practicing moderation he practiced greed and cruelty."

Night Fury was horrified. What if that happens to himself? As much as he would like to ask about culture, he realizes he needs to know how to control his powers so he doesn't turn maniacal.

"Well if that's the case, then I have another question. How do I control my power? I don't want to become like these villains of the past, but I also don't want to be left powerless when my time comes to defend my honor. Please tell me, how would I go about learning this part of me." Fury asked the Emperor.

"Calm down. You're too quick for an old cat like me. Listen, the key is this. It took time but we realized we had to go through some exercises. Have you ever been told by your father to take a nap after every time you use too much energy?"

"Yeah, he literally threatened me with sleeping in the rain for a day if I didn't do it. He told me it was good for my health but was never specific."

"Well, my young feline, he said that for a reason. The reason why you should do this is because it is a form of meditation."

"Meditation? I mean, I know taking naps is relaxing and good for keeping a healthy lifestyle, but meditation? I would never have guessed." Night Fury said somewhat unenthusiastic about meditating.

"You'll get used to not being hyperactive for a few seconds. My daughter finally got to doing it." he said, teasing him somewhat.

Night Fury was not amused at this old emperor. He was like a snarky version of his rule abiding and cultured mother more than himself and his father Obsidian.

"I'm not hyperactive! I just don't like doing that boring stuff." Fury said, attempting to defend himself. "But I'll do it if it means I won't endanger those around me."

"Good. That is good. There is a manuscript under the statue that details different meditation techniques. But it will only go so far. You will probably have to make your own as you grow more powerful."

"Okay, that's good. But, I'm here with you, how would I get out of here if I'm here with you?" Fury inquired, Emperor Snowdrift facepawed and sighed at his blatant lack of attention span.

"Didn't you hear me boy, all of this isn't real! The poem you read was also a spell to enter the spirit world! By the gods, you younglings don't have any retention of information." He roared angrily.

"I'm sorry, I'll do better with my mind!" Fury apologized whimpering in the snow.

"Alright, alright. Stand up. At this point, I think I have said everything I needed to say."

"Well that's great…"

"Except for one thing."

"Oh great…"

"This spell, once it seizes, will partially link us together." Emperor Snowdrift spoke. "I will help you with certain times. You can contact me if you need help."

"Nice! So if I need to sneak some cake, I can get you to help me?" He joked.

The Emperor simply shook his head.

"Don't make me change my mind about helping you. Kids these days." He said blankly.

"Oh yeah, sorry." Fury said, smiling awkwardly. "But in all seriousness there's nothing else?"

"Well, I will have more to tell you later. But I will save it for another time. Right now, train yourself. And once you're ready, we will meet again and I will tell you."

"I will do my best to make you proud, Emperor." Night Fury said.

"Then go and make me proud, young one. And say hello to your friend for me." The Emperor said, waving to Night Fury with a proud smile. Night Fury grinned and waved in return, watching the snowy wind take the Emperor away in a sheet of white as he disappeared into the snow.

-

Night Fury's vision returned to reality as he awoke on the floor of the temple room with Luna next to him, a wing draped over him as she watched him silently.

"Night Fury! Y-you're awake!" She said with happiness.

"Awww, have you been worried about me?" Night Fury teased her.

"Don't joke about that!"

Slap

"Ow! Really, again?"

"What was the meaning of you going into that light instead of running away?! Were you insane?! What kind of fool does that?!"

"Me." Fury answered.

Luna was now about to use some hostile magic..

"Okay, I'm sorry. Listen, everything is okay. I'm fine. I had to go in there because of the Emperor, he called out to me." Fury explained. Luna didn't see his explanation as sufficient and went to slap him again, only to have her swing caught in his paw.

"Alright Luna, you listen here and you listen good," Fury said, now irritated. "I get it, what I did was stupid. But if you don't let me explain, there will be problems. YOU UNDERSTAND?!?"

Luna almost jumped at his voice. He normally was not a very angry person. But when he meant business, he meant business. And she realizes she owes him an explanation and the benefit of the doubt. He's not a child after all.

"My apologies. I let my emotions get the better of me. Please go on."

Night Fury then smiled.

"Thank you. Now, when I went into the light, I was transported to an icy tundra, nothing else in sight. It was just me and the snow." Fury began. "All I could hear was the wind, but when I actually listened, the wind seemed to be speaking to me…"

Night Fury explained everything to Luna. Including their lost dark history, their meditation techniques, and how he had more stuff to do for Fury. Luna started to understand what he was saying now.

"I see now." Luna said. "It must be amazing to see such a powerful entity of your history."

"Yeah. Oh and by the way, the Emperor says Hi." Fury said, chuckling slightly.

"Ah, well that's nice of him. If you see him, tell him the Princess of the Night says hello too." Luna smiled.

"I definitely will, but there was something he told me about before I woke up,"

"Oh, and what would that be?"

"He told me that under the statue, there was a manuscript on the ancient meditation techniques of my kind. I need to get them." Fury explained.

"Well, we should dig it up." Luna said.

"That's the idea!"

They both dug with their hooves and claws and quickly saw a codex of different techniques for concentration, relaxation and so on.

"Man, the cool pictures in this book make you forget you're doing meditation."

"You might learn that one day meditation can be very enjoyable for your mind." Luna said.

"If you and the Emperor say so." Night Fury said with some skepticism. "Anyways, do you have the bag of artifacts for the museum?"

"Yes I do." she said as she picked them up. Fury put the codex into the bag and put it on his back.

"Well, I think that's all of the artifacts in this place. We did well."

"I would agree, this was a rather fun escapade." Luna said.

"And now we can safely walk out with nothing to get in our way." But little did he know, he had jinxed both of them.

"Wait, the scroll is glowing again." Luna said. "What does it say?"

He read it this time not saying anything while the scroll was open and simply read. "You have done your job. Now I shall help you leave. All I will say is… good luck, you will need it."

He closed the scroll and wore a worried expression on his face.

And then they heard some rumbling in the pyramid.

"Um, Fury, what's going on?" Luna asked worriedly

"I think by removing the codex, we triggered the temple to start collapsing!"

"What are we going to do?!" Luna asked.

"Let me think!"

Just as Fury was about to come to a solution, another door opened beside them. It revealed a slide that could possibly be an exit.

"I think the temple answered your question for you." Fury said, running over to the opening and stopping at the edge.

"What do we do now?" Luna inquired.

"I think there's only one thing we can do…" Fury said, gaining a cheeky smile as he pushed Luna out of the way and jumped into the slide.

"See you at the bottom, slowpoke!" He said, laughing deviously as he slid down the slide.

"Wait, I'm not readyyyyy-!"

It was too late they slid down the slides.

"Yahoo! Now this is my form of meditation!"

"Ahhhhhhh!!!" Luna replied in terror. She hated these types of slides ever since she was a filly. She always hated when Celestia had her do them when they were fillies.

"Oh calm down, sissy pony, it's not that bad." Fury said cheekily. Luna's head snapped to him as his words hit her ears, she was not going to be known as a sissy pony.

"Oh, I'll show you sissy pony, fish breath!" She replied, challenging Fury.

"Are you saying it's a race?"

"It's on, kitty cat!" Luna said, now showing a goofy smile.

"Alright, but you won't beat an expert slider since childhood!" He said leaping over her and getting in front.

"Sorry Luna, you'll have to do better than- Ahhh!"

Luna literally shoved him to the other side to get past him. Now she was in front.

"You were saying?!" She chuckled. Fury went red in the face, he was not losing to a princess.

"Oh no you don't, come here you!" He said, grabbing onto Luna and sending the both of them into a spin. Luna and Fury laughed and cheered as they slid and spun down the slide, they were completely blinded by pure joy and fun that they didn't see that the end of the slide, leading to a jump into a pool of water, was coming up fast.

"Ha ha ha ha ha ha! I never had this much fun!" Luna yelled out.

"Yeah this is pretty awes-Ahhhhhhh!"

Night Fury and Luna both cried out as they took to the air, flying far away from the crumbling temple before making a loud splash into the pool of water. The two friends surfaced after a few seconds and laughed as their dizzy heads swirled and swayed.

"Woah, I am really dizzy hehehe." Fury chuckled, holding a paw to his head as he saw stars everywhere.

"Hehehe, yeah me too." Luna replied, shaking her head to get rid of the dizziness. Once she regained her composure, she realized that Night Fury was still holding onto her.

"Um, you can stop hugging me now." Luna said awkwardly.

"Huh… oh yeah, whoops!"

They both sat there, in the water, awkwardly for a moment. Not just at the unexpected intimacy but also the sheer adventure they had exploring what was a minor Speed Shifter colony. But instead, it was one of those unforgettable journeys.

"What a crazy night huh, Luna?"

"Indeed. I'm going to have to take a huge break after this."

"Me too. Then I have to learn how to control my instincts." he said, a bit worried. "By the way, I think it might be best if we don't tell everypony about Speed Shifters, how one bad apple became a tyrant making all of us look bad, or about our instincts."

"Agreed, " Luna said. "If there's one thing me and Celestia both know. It's not to reveal everything too soon. Which is why our subjects know very little of a lot of things."

"Yeah, we'll just focus on the Speed Shifters beating the Windigos translucent behinds. Everybody would love that about Speed Shifters."

"Agreed." Luna said, giggling.

"I see you've had a lot of fun Luna. See, isn't this better than boring government duties?"

"Well it definitely is more exciting, so yes."

"Nice." Night Fury said smiling. "Well let's get going. I can see the sunlight from here. It looks like it's dawn already.

They both got out of the pool and walked up out of the cave. And as they did they had some familiar visitors.

"Oh darling, are you alright?! You two look like you came out of a natural disaster."

"Yeah that's for sure," Rainbow Dash agreed.

"Hey guys, what are you doing here?" Fury said relaxed.

"We came to check to make sure you guys were okay. It's already nine in the morning and I sent a rescue party and we saw your tracks and it looks like you two had quite an adventure." Twilight said.

"What did you guys find?! Did you find an ancient civilization?!" Pinkie asked excitedly.

"Let's just say we discovered a lot and leave it at that, for now at least. But right now, I want to have some breakfast fish sticks." Night Fury said as he proceeded to walk back to Ponyville.

The Mane Six then looked at Luna.

"I agree with the Speed Shifter. But rest assured it was quite… nice." She said with a mild smile as she also walked back to Ponyville.

"Well that was a little anticlimactic." Rainbow Dash said. "Now what do we do?!"

The Mane Six just stood there for a bit.

"Could we just go back to sleep?" Fluttershy suggested.

"Yeah, it sounds good."

"I need my beauty sleep."

"I have a party to go to."

So all the Mane Six, seeing as there was nothing eventful having to do with them, just went back home to get some shuteye.

And so everyone went to sleep, awaiting what big events will happen in the future. For Night Fury, all he knows is that he has to do some training.

But I'll be ready, just you wait, Emperor.

But as he fell asleep, the thing he remembered most was all the adventures with Luna. That was the best.

PreviousChapters Next