• Published 20th Jul 2021
  • 975 Views, 6 Comments

A Day at Sea - Mystic Sunrise



Sci Twi tests out a theory concerning her Pearl necklace.

  • ...
16
 6
 975

Return To the Sea

Sunset sighed as Twilight finished packing her bag. "Are you sure this is a good idea, Twilight? School starts on Monday."

Twilight nodded as she stood up. "I have to know, Sunset. And there won't be enough time to find out once school starts. Ever since Kohaku's birthday, when Kiyoko turned Twily back into a pony, it's been eating at me. Don't tell me you're not curious?"

Sunset rolled her eyes, conceding the point. "You got me there. It's been on my mind since you first came back from Equestria actually. Why can't we all go with you though? What if something happens?"

Twilight's look softened. "I can handle myself, Sunset. You know that. I'm not like I was before the Friendship Games. If there's one thing that I've learned since I moved to Canterlot High. It's that I'm stronger than I thought I was." She paused a moment before looking down at what was around her neck. "And this is something that I have to do myself. I don't know what might happen with a group. It worked for me. But that wasn't in this world."

Sunset frowned. She knew there was truth to all of that. That didn't mean she had to like it though. "And your parents are okay with this? Being by yourself all weekend? This isn't like going to Equestria, where you have friends and someone there to help you. This is by yourself. And you're going to be a long way from anywhere."

Twilight nodded. "Mom and dad know a place that only a few people know of. We have a cabin there. I'll be staying there. It's not too far from a grocery store, and I have enough money to buy whatever I need. Dad already gave me the keys."

To prove it, she held up a keychain with several keys on the loop. "Fluttershy is taking care of Spike. He didn't want to come for some reason. I don't know why though. He's been there plenty of times."

Sunset rolled her eyes, but she was smiling. "Can't imagine why." She sighed as she could see that her friend wasn't going to be dissuaded. "Alright. I know when I'm beaten. I can't talk you out of this, Twilight. Just promise me that you'll be fine? Call me or any of the girls if you need help. We'll be there in a flash."

Twilight's gaze softened. "I know, and I promise I will." Her smile grew as she and Sunset left her room and headed for the front door. "But if I'm being super honest, I can't wait to get started!" She all but squeed.

Sunset couldn't help but giggle at the adorable sight, as the two left the house.


Twilight sighed as she deposited her backpack on her bed and sat down next to it. Looking around her room, she smiled at all the memories she had made here with her family. Good and bad. It had been a while since she had last been here. Let alone by herself.

And she would be lying if she said she wasn't just a little bit worried. Cliche as it may have been, but there was always a chance that something could happen to her, and her friends couldn't get to her in time. She hoped nothing would happen.

Shaking her head, Twilight opened her bag and began to pull out all that was inside. Some books, several of which were newly arrived from Equestria, a change of clothes, and at the bottom of the bag?

Twilight pulled out the last item that she had brought with her. It was partly the whole reason she was even here in the first place. Looking out a nearby window, she smiled as she saw that the sun was nowhere near to setting just yet. Plenty of time.

Giggling, she began undressing, already making plans for how she planned to do this.


A short time later, Twilight walked to the end of the cabin's dock, now in her favorite blue swimsuit. She had left her Geode behind in her room. If this didn't work, then she really didn't want to go hunting for it if flew off of her neck. So now, all she wore was her Pearl Necklace.

Coming to the edge of the dock, she looked down. The water was deep enough here for her to dive in and not have to worry about hitting anything. Which was a weight off of her shoulders. Beyond her stretched the endless blue of the Pacific Ocean. A sight that never failed to take her breath away.

But now came why she had come out here in the first place, and by herself. It was time to put to the test a question that had been burning in her mind since that fateful day in the waters around Mount Aris.

Closing her eyes, she touched the Pearl. "Please. Let this work," she whispered to whoever or whatever might be listening. Maybe it wouldn't help her in the slightest. But right now, Twilight didn't care.

Letting go of the Pearl, Twilight opened her eyes and sighed, letting her body relax. Holding her breath, she looked out toward the horizon. Closing her eyes once more, she concentrated on a specific image in her mind, holding it firmly in her grasp, searing it into her mind's eye.

And then. She jumped. Swan diving into the ocean below.

The moment her body touched the water, Twilight knew for sure that this had been worth it.

Opening her eyes, she looked back and smiled widely as she saw her powerful tail propelling her forward, her hair flowing behind her as if in a wind only it could feel. Her swimsuit had been replaced by her familiar blue seashell bra. Her glasses had vanished from her face, and Twilight could see that they had not floated off. Her necklace had been absorbed into her as well.

"Yes!" She squeed, doing a few loops in her excitement and joy. "This is amazing. It does work! It's like I never left Mount Aris."

She giggled as she sawm down and glided above the ocean floor below. The fish and other undersea life scattered first at her approach. But soon they seemed to grow used to her presence, even swimming alongside and with her.

And with that, Twilight let go of all her worries and concerns. With nothing else to worry about, she let go of herself, not caring who might see her like this. Down here, under the sea? She was free.

With an exuberant laugh, Twilight let go.

She swam with large schools of fish, played among the coral reefs, and swam farther and farther away from shore. She didn't care though. The world was her oyster and she was the pearl at the center of it.

She giggled at the thought, even as a dolphin swam up to her. Behind her, she could see its whole pod. Twilight wasn't sure how she knew, but she knew the dolphin before her was female. As if reading Twilight's mind, it emitted a series of clicks and vocalizations.

Twilight rolled her eyes as she bowed her head. "Okay, okay. You're a girl. I never thought I'd be chewed out by a dolphin. But I used to say that about a lot of things. I've learned that not everything is as simple as I used to think it was."

The female smiled, Twilight knew she did, and swam closer to the girl, rubbing up against her. It was an incredible feeling, and Twilight giggled as she did so. She watched as the dolphin swam a short distance, before looking back at her. It didn't take long for it to click for the mermaid, and Twilight soon swam after her.

Her friend swam off again though, as Twilight caught up to her. A smile came to her face as she swam after her again, and again her friend swam off. She giggled as swam after her again. This went on for hours, the two playing tag in and amongst the coral reefs. At other times, they just swam together or floated serenely on the surface, neither caring it seemed. Once in a while, another of the pod would join them, and then the fun would really ramp up.


"I wish you were here, Twily," she thought, as she floated serenely on the surface once more, the sun now beginning to go down in the west. Her dolphin friend had finally swum off with her pod a few minutes earlier. While she was sad to see her go, Twilight knew that it was meant to be. She wasn't going to take away her new friend from those she knew. It wasn't fair to either of them.

But who she really wanted with her at that moment, was the girl. No. The goddess, that had stolen her heart, and all of her love. The one she would love until the end of time itself. Magical disasters and different universes be damned.

But the princess was busy with the Friendship Festival that was due to start in Canterlot next week. So much so that Sunset had said that she didn't write back as often or as quickly as she usually did, so engrossed was she in the preparations.

It was something that sounded exciting, and it would have been a great chance for the Rainbooms as a whole to finally go to Equestria and meet their counterparts. But with the school about to start up again on Monday, that wasn't going to be possible. And with this being their final year at Canterlot High, their chances to do so were running out.

Speaking of Sunset, Twilight sighed as she righted herself. It was time for her to head home. No matter what she wanted otherwise, she couldn't stay out here all night. Without her geode, she couldn't defend herself if something decided she looked like something that was worth snacking on.

Looking to the east, she could just make out the coastline. If she hurried, she should be able to get back before the sun went down. Dipping back below the waves, Twilight turned her tail toward home and began the long swim there.


By the time the dock came into view, the sun was setting below the horizon, as Twilight popped back above the waves. She might have been here sooner. But she had gotten lost on the way back, and she had gone further north than she had realized in her playtime, and further out to sea than she had expected.

But it had been worth it in the end, she giggled as she swam over to the ladder at the side of the dock. Reaching down, she touched where her Pearl would normally be, and concentrated. Her body glowed for a moment, before fading away. Looking down, Twilight grinned to see that, not only had she changed back into a human. But she was also still wearing her swimsuit from when she had come out earlier in the day.

"I believe that answers that question," Twilight said, as she pulled herself out of the water. She shivered as a breeze hit her. And of course, she didn't think to leave some towels on the dock for whenever she got back. Just her luck. "A warm bath sounds great," she grumbled, as she quickly headed for the cabin and warmth.


Twilight sighed in relief as she exited the bathroom, redoing her hair into her favorite shape. A nice long bath after the day she'd had was just what she needed. Now she could relax.

At that moment, her phone buzzed, Smiling, she picked it up to see that it was a text from Sunset. 'Hey. You back yet, Twilight?'

Twilight's smile grew as she typed back. 'Yeah, I'm back. It worked, Sunset! I can change into whatever I want to in this world! The Pearl's magic isn't affected with me being in this world and not in Equestria.'

'That's great, Twilight! So why didn't you say something earlier?'

Twilight rolled her eyes. 'Are you kidding me? I've been playing and having fun all day! There was no way I was coming back here early when I had the whole ocean to myself.'

'Can't argue with that. Are you coming back tonight? Me and the girls can meet you at Sugarcube Corner to celebrate.'

Twilight snorted before replying. 'As if. I've got all weekend! I'm not going to waste this chance when I've got it. Who knows when I can do this again? I'll be home again Sunday night. Pinkie Promise.'

There was a short pause before Sunset replied. 'Well. I can't argue with a Pinkie Promise. I know how seriously Pinkie takes them. I don't think I want to know what she would do if someone broke one. I'll be sure to tell the girls the good news. And I know Princess Twily will be happy to hear about this.'

Twilight groaned. 'Hey. That's my pet name for her. Only I get to call her that.'

'Whatever you say. Your highness.'

Twilight groaned again as Sunset logged out of their conversation. She knew her friends would soon be calling or texting her to congratulate her. And as she lay down on her bed, picking one of her books at random, she had only one thought.

Today had been worth it, and everything was going to be just fine.

Author's Note:

First off. I need to thank the awesome possum Not Quite Equine for the cover art they did as a Commission. It was just too good not to be used for a story. Even though Princess Twilight isn't in this story. Plus I just wanted to write more Mermaid Sci Twi for this universe. Cover was done by Not Quite Equine in June.

This is a sequel to Girls Night Out. But I couldn't wait for that story to finish before I started on this one. So here it is. And this is set right before the Movie. Shadow Play and the Movie do not happen at all in this universe. The Pillars and the Pony of Shadows did exist. But they destroyed each other long ago. Storm King and his army don't exist.