• Published 31st May 2021
  • 623 Views, 8 Comments

Grey Eyes - Smakleapp



A terrible disaster strikes Canterlot, changing the dead. Nopony knows how to react. Survival is all that’s left.

  • ...
3
 8
 623

Hello Mother

Oh how much you changed. You changed because you could survive without it. How much you walked away from me. How soon you denounced me. How soon will you villainize me. How much you changed.

(Message found in Horse Code at the Fillydelphia Radio Station, 97.6)

The hospital walls were a pale white, accented with the flickering overhead lights. The waiting room wasn’t entirely empty. There sat a few with broken hooves, noses, and some with the flu. Two ponies in particular sat down in the waiting room. A light purple unicorn sat with her hooves to her face, her eyes brimmed with tears that refused to fully give way. A darker purple shaded unicorn was reading a magazine, her eye fixated on the young celebrities on each page.

“Starlight?” asked the light purple unicorn.

“Yeah Twilight?”

“How long? How long is this gonna be?”

Starlight shifted in her seat so she was staring straight at her friend. “Twilight, please. There’s no reason to talk about work right now.”

“Starlight, I just can’t stop thinking about-“

A hoof on her shoulder. “You have to. You have to focus and let go just for a couple of minutes. It’s good you care, but take care of yourself.”

Twilight nodded.

“Twilight Sparkle?”

Twilight turned to see Nurse Redheart standing in front of the infirmary. She wore a cute little smile, and soft eyes. Twilight particularly enjoyed the eyes, she always did. It helped her see everything was alright. Twilight sighed.

“Yes Red?”

“Your mothers in a stable condition now. She just woke up, her heart rates normal. We did a brain scan. There’s something off with her frontal lobe, so she might have trouble recalling events perfectly.”

Twilight nodded. “That’s quite alright.” As she began to make her way out of her seat, she turned to Starlight. “Stay here. I want to talk with her alone for now.”

Starlight nodded, motioning her to go on without her. Twilight smiled and hugged her one last time as she walked with Nurse Redheart down the infirmary.

Twilight forgot how big this unit could really be. The hallways seemed larger than life. The doors looked reinforced beyond all Tartarus.

“Ya know, a lot of those poor souls from the incident are quite tame now.”

Twilight was shocked by her voice but recovered enough in order to answer. “Yeah, that might mean they are getting better.”

“I hear they’re calling them Stiffers.”

“Stiffers?”

Red nodded. “Oh yeah, cause how they walk.”

“Oh...right.”

“I mean, that’s what they say over the radio. The radio that works, am I right?”

“Yes, I suppose.”

“I think it’s because of all those radio shows based in Canterlot.” She shook her head as she rounded a corner. “It’s so terrible. I hope it ends soon. I just hope they took him Twilight, he’s gone, I couldn’t do anything.”

Twilight stopped dead in her tracks. “Wait what?”

Redheart turned to look around, stopping equally with Twilight's movements, as if she knew she was going to stop. “I was just saying how much of a murderous piece of shit you are. You ruined ponies' lives you pathetic excuse for a princess.”

Twilight's heart dropped as her back hooves gave way and she crashed against the wall. Nopony cared inside the long hall, nusrses going upon their way.

“Your a fucking disgrace, you know that, don’t you?”

Twilight looked up at the Nurse. The hallway was now a blaring red, and sounds of loud beeping noises filled her ears as Redheart snarled.

“You caused this fucking catastrophe. Your useless now, you're useless.”

Twilight found herself at a lost for breath, and time began to slow. She felt the Nurses hot breath against her, and her voice became raspy and unpleasant.

“Shit for brains. You know that? Shit for fucking brains. Look at your mother.”

Twilight whimpered, “I-I’m going t-to…”

“YOU'LL SEE WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU AREN'T THERE! YOU ARE AN ABOMINATION!”

Bang.

The beeping immediately seized. The hospital was normal again, and she found herself standing up. She was on her own hooves. (My own hooves?) She looked around for a few more-

“Twilight!”

Twilight was jolted again as she realized Redheart was only a few feet in front of her, looking back with concerned (eyes) eyes.

You were tired, that’s all. Play it cool. Don’t act crazy.

Twilight gulped. “Wuh?” Great job.

Redheart began trotting over to her friend. “You kind of zoned out for a couple of seconds.”

“Yeah, you know, I’m just pretty tired. From what’s happening.”

“Yeah, no, of course! Do you want to rescheduale your visit? I can!”

Twilight shook her head quickly. “No, that’s fine. I’m good.” She forced herself to smile. “My nap has rejuvenated me.”

Redheart chuckled a little, and Twilight breathed a sigh of relief. Ok, it’s ok now.

“Alright well then we’re on our way.” With a giggle, she turned around and began on her way. With one more deep breath, Twilight continued.

They eventually placed themselves in front of a hospital door. Twilight strained her eyes to try and see her mother inside, but failed.

“Twilight,” Redheart began, “your mother might be a little loopy.” She began to purse her lips, throwing Twilight off guard. “She’s different, Twiligiht. At least for now.”

I know, I know. Twilight smiled. “Thanks Red, it’s ok. I’m ready.”

Red gave a little smile. “Ok, well, we set up a chair for you, and she should be awake.” As she went to turn away, she looked back for one last second. “Good luck.”

Twilight could only nod as her friend (Nurse) walked away. She stared at the door for seconds, her mind unable to make a definitive sense.

“Miss?”

Twilight turned around to see the hospital was gone. Instead, a grassy field. In front of her was a small unicorn, a mini self.

“Miss? What’s wrong.”

Twilight smiled. “No, no, nothings wrong.”

Mini-T moved her head sideways. “Then why are you taking so long?”

Twilight laughed, and put her head down, shaking it back and forth. “I don’t know. I guess there’s no reason, is there?”

The child smiled, and as she did this, Twilight closed her eyes, and when she opened them, she was back in the hospital. The low beeping (huh), the sound of hoof steps. It all made Twilight realize she was back at her previous point of destination. It was all real, and confined.

(No reason not to) Twilight was comforted by the fact of being real again, and she opened the door with confidence she did not previously have.

The room was small and quaint, that was the best way to put it. A tv stood opposite of the hospital bed where Twilights mother rested. Her mother’s large bed was rather out of place. This room was baby’s blue, and had the smell of grapes. It was a room that could house a small child. A new house, new possibilities. Perhaps a drawing on the wall from crayons that get the parents mad. The baby blue made everything look so innocent. The beeping(it’s constant, isn’t it?) of the system her mother was on, the bed itself, the mother herself, the chair beside it. It was all so...out of place.

My mother.

Twilight drew her eyes from the wall to her mother. She looked well, all things considered. Her eyes had bags, her ligaments stress marks. Besides that, her mother looked as she had last time Twilight saw her. She expected more change to be honest. She expected her to be a husk, or perhaps dust. She thought her eyes would be more dull, not colorful and lively as they were now. She thought her mane would be stringy, and her horn crusty and old. Again, none of this characterized Twilight Velvet. She looked unchanged. This thing that was inside of her didn’t change her. Twilight didn’t know which result would have been more tragic.

Velvets eyes were fixed on the window she had at the end of the room. Ponyvilles country side. Beautiful, full of life. It showed the grassy planes, it showed the working class going about their day. Cutting grass, picking wild berries, hunting wild and dangerous animals. Wild grass, Twilght remembered the fillies singing. Stay out of the wild grass! She thought about her wild grass. 12th street. She hated this street because there were always ponies there that looked up to no good. 12th street. Beware.

Twilight's chuckle was somehow more attention drawing than the door opening. Her mother looked slowly at Twilight, who was grateful she interrupted her train of thought. Her eyes squinted at her daughter. Wings, horn, yes, it was her’s alright. She smiled, lips pulling apart.

“...Twilight?”

Sweeter. Twilight knew she was always sweet, her voice was, but something about this was more ditsy. It made her sound like a grandma. (That’s the change)

“Yes mom, it’s me. I came when I heard you woke up.”

Velvet began to motion to the chair beside her bed. It was right next to the system keeping her mother heart rate. With a grin aimed at her mother, Twilight sat down.

Silence.

It wasn’t exactly comfortable, or uncomfortable. It was more like a war. A silent war. A war over what would be said first.

“So Ma, do you rem-“

“Ya know,” Velvet interrupted, “that nurse is always so nice. Redheart? Oohhh, a doll that one.”

Twilight pursed her lips in an attempt to smile. “Yeah, she’s great.”

Velvets eyes were locked onto Twilights. “You know, back in Canterlot, you were friends, right?”

“Yes.”

“Ahh, she moved here with her parents. Oh, she was perfect. So mannered. Night Light loved her.”

Twilight moved past the last sentence. “Mother, her parents died 4 years ago. Remeber? We sent bouquets of flowers as a family.”

Twilight Velvet squinted her eyes at the ceiling trying to remember. In seconds, her eyes widened and focused back to Twilight. She smiled again. “Ohhh, right!”

(Sounds like a grandma)

I forgot.” Her smiled faded for a frown. “Oh, that’s terrible. I always thought you two would make a good match.”

Twilight gasped in surprise. “Mother! Where did that come from?”

Velvet's chuckle was quiet but it nonetheless brought Twilight more reassurance that her mother was better.

“I’m just joking around. Ahhh, my youth. I remember it too. You know, I haven’t been in a hospital for 27 years.
You weren’t born yet.”

“Right.”

“Shattered my leg for….” She stared back at the ceiling again. “Ahh dammit.” She slammed her front hooves down, which in reality, wasn’t too hard. “I can’t remember.”

Twilight nodded. “Yeah, Red told me that.”

“She did now? She knows what she’s talking about. So smart, the two of you…”

“Mom!”

“Heh.”

“Where is this coming from?”

Her eyes stayed pointing at the ceiling. “Oh Twilight, you need to love a bit more. Unlike me. Heh. I’m staying here now, and I barley remember why.” Her eyes averted back to her daughter. “I don’t want this to be you, dear. I want you to live. Afraid of her own shadow, my daughter.”

“Mom.” Twilights voice was icy, breaking through her mother’s ramblings.

“Hmm?”

“What do you remember?”

Her eyes once again stared up. “Oh, well, ya know, smoke, that I remember. Your father.” Sting. “We were leaving, running. We made it, and um…”

She smiled. “I’m, forgetting soemthing, right?”

“Ma, Dad’s-“

“Oh, he’s um, he’s somewhere else. Right. They took him somewhere else.” The eyes.

“How is he doing?”

Twilight felt as though she was stabbed in the heart. She might as well have been. Everything went numb. Her nerves felt as though they were turned off. Nothing, not even her mouth, moved.

“Twilight?”

Ringing. It’s back. Isn’t it? I hear it.

“Twilight?”

With a jolt, Twilgiths body returned back to control. “Oh, I’m...he’s fine. Like you.”

At this point, Velvet was sitting up. With a sigh of relief, she laid back down. “Ah. That’s good. He was always strong, your father.”

“...right, yeah.” Twilight quickly cleared her throat, a old gurgling sound that took her mother's attention. “Um, Mom, if you don’t mind me asking, you remember what happened?”

She shrugged. “Yes, only the beginning of it. I don’t remeber us getting out.” Her eyes studied her daughter. “Well, they told me I escaped. I assumed with Night Light, they didn’t say.”

“They didn’t?”

Velvet shook her head. “No, no. Just said I escaped, asked me if I remember why. I said yes, and they were happy about that. They were happy I remembered that the fog came.”

Twilight shook her head, attempting to dispel her thoughts as she needed to understand more. “Ok, but Mom, who’s they?”

“The nurses.”

“Ok. Good.”

“Yes well, I’m still pretty confused.” Her facial features tightened in worry as she suddenly looked at her daughter square in the eyes. “Am I lucky Twilight?”

For seconds, Twilight had no clue what to say. Her mind racked between the truth or lies. “It’s a miracle, yes.”

“So there are others still stuck?”

Twilight nodded. Velvet stared up at the ceiling, her eyes watering. “Are you going to get them out?”

“Yes.” Twilight put her hoof in her mother’s, as she turned to look at her daughter.

“It’s been so hard.”

“I know.”

“I-I can’t breathe somethimes I get so upset.”

“Mother, you’ve been awake for an hour.”

“I know, but before this.”

“You never told me that.”

“I didn’t want you to worry.”

Twilight forced herself to smile. “I’m not worrying ma. It’s alright to panic sometimes.” Twilight leaned in. “I panic sometimes too. All the time actually. My hooves get shaky, numb, swollen. My eyesight gets blurry. And my breath gets shallow as well.”

“Do you make it go away?”

“Yes.”

“How?”

Twilight's eyes themselves brimmed with tears. “I, um, I focus on the good, you know, and I get better.”

Velvet smiled. “Thanks Twilight.”

They sat there for another minute in complete silence, holding each other for warmth and comfort. They didn’t want to speak, or so much of anything. They felt safe inside that bubble. They felt together, whole, strong. However, eventually they realized they must leave. They must say their goodbyes. Twilight made herself get out of her chair, planting a kiss on her cheek.

“I better get going mom. I’ll come by some other time, ok?”

She nodded. Twilight looked back at her one more time.

“You look good mom.”

And just like that, she was alone.

In regards to what the citizens are calling the Grey, Canterlot is completely taken over. Many are suspicious about the Princess leaving for Fillydelphia the day before, while many say either it was a coincidence or perhaps not wishing to harm the sisters. Trapped ponies of notoriety is DJ-Pon3, real name Vinyl Scratch, violinist Octavia, and other business men like Fancy Pants and Filthy Rich. All are known over Equestira and we hope they are safe. Who could have cause the Grey is up to question, many believing Discord to be the reason. He has disappeared the day before, and a pony who was taking him in says she knows nothing. The Grey Containment Unit was formed yesterday, headed by Princess Twilight Sparkle, who promises to get ponies loved ones out of the deadly crowd, and that it is contained.

Other news, Bono the Monkey has a wacky surprise for us! He-

Manehattan Radio, 97.2