• Published 15th Dec 2020
  • 1,512 Views, 26 Comments

The Equestria Girls in a Christmas Carol - Catlovingmermaid



Sunset Shimmer doesn't Celebrate Christmas, causing the others to consider her a Scrooge, until there's an unexpected visitor.

  • ...
2
 26
 1,512

Scrooge

Sunset pulled her jacket tighter across her body shivering as the icy cold wind worked its way into the rips and holes leftover from The Fall Formal. She had been meaning to buy a new one before it started to snow, but now that she wasn't stealing lunch money her paycheck just wasn't enough. She just couldn't work enough hours and go to school at the same time.

"Sunset," a voice called out across the snow covered front lawn of the school, as a pink blur bounced its way over to her, "Sunset Shimmer," the voice called out again, slowing the bouncing enough for her to see that the bouncing pink blur was actually Pinkie Pie, wearing a thick puffy pink coat about the same color as her hair and holding a plate of cookies, "I made Christmas Cookies," she announced, "Try one."

Sunset glanced at the plate of cookies and then up into Pinkie Pie's bright blue eyes. Pinkie blinked, "Well."

Sunset fidgeted, this was Pinkie Pie, one of the girls that Princess Twilight had said would help teach her about Friendship Magic, on the other hand though, this wouldn't be the first time she had been offered tainted goods in the past few months, although it was the first time that anyone actually gave her the food, all the rest of the time they just leave them at her locker.

"Come on," Pinkie insisted, basically shoving the plate in her face, "I know you want to."

"What's wrong with them?" the words were out of Sunset's mouth before she even knew that she had opened her mouth.

Pinkie's face dropped at the same time Sunset's face started to burn, "Pinkie I'm so sorry, I..." Sunset shook her head, she needed to say something to cover up her slip up. She had got to learn to watch what she said around others, even if they don't.

"Pinkie," a melodious voice asked as Rarity and Rainbow Dash arrived, "Whatever is the matter Darling?"

"Sunset asked what was wrong with my cookies!" Pinkie cried as she turned to look at her friends.

"She did what!" the rainbow haired athlete demanded giving the red head a harsh glare, not unlike the ones she was subjected to daily anyways.

"I didn't mean it like that I..."Sunset stummered, "I don't even like Christmas Cookies." she blurted out.

The three other girls stopped and stared at her in disbelief, "You don't like Christmas Cookies?!!" Pinkie exclaimed.

Sunset almost let out a sigh of relief they had, at least for the moment, forgotten about her earlier comments about the cookies.

"How can you not like Christmas Cookies?" Pinkie demanded.

Sunset shrugged, deciding that she must break away from Pinkie and her two friends before she froze to death in the bitter cold.

Rainbow Dash cut her off however, "So if you don't like Christmas Cookies, what kind of holiday treats do you like."

"I don't celebrate the Holidays," Sunset insisted, "Now if you don't mind," she stepped around Rainbow Dash and somehow made it to the door without being intercepted.

"What do you mean, 'You don't celebrate?"' Pinkie's voice echoed out behind her, causing Sunset to flinch, her previous comment was forgotten, but she wasn't sure it had been worth it.

Sunset stopped, her hand on the door, "Never seen the point," she confessed as the school bell started a stampede that the four at the door had to quickly step out of the way of.

"That's the most Scroogest thing I've ever heard," Pinkie exclaimed, "Well, besides Bah Humbug, but still."


Sunset glanced at the pile of can goods against the wall of Mr. Cranky's classroom, the schoolwide food drive sure had been a success this year. Although she bet that the extra credit incentive that some of the teachers gave them might have helped as well as a promised pizza party for the whole school if they collect more cans than Crystal Prep. Figured that they didn't care enough to help the poor and homeless enough to donate the food just to help. No it had to be for extra credit and a competition with Crystal Prep.

Mr. Cranky looked up from his desk, "Sunset, I've noticed that you haven't turned in any cans for extra credit," he said, loudly, so that the whole class could hear, "I don't need to tell you that you need the extra credit to past this class. Your grades have dropped drastically since the Fall Formal."

"I'm sorry Mr. Cranky, donating food is just something that I can't do at the moment," Sunset muttered.

"Ah thought ya changed," a new voice called out as Applejack entered the classroom, "But Ah guess Ah was wrong."

Sunset groaned, great first Pinkie Pie, Rarity, and Rainbow Dash, now Applejack thought that she was faking as well, "Pinkie already told me I'm acting like a Scrooge."

"Well Ya are," Applejack commented, shaking her head, "But Ah guess a Zebra can't change its stripes."

Yeah, as if I haven't heard that one before, Sunset thought crossly as she slipped into her seat, Sometimes I don't know why I keep trying.


Applejack slid into a seat next to Fluttershy in the auditorium, "Hiya Fluttershy, how's things going?"

Fluttershy beamed up at her friend, "Great, Mom and Dad have rented this little cabin up on the mountain and we're going skiing and I can't wait to see all the little creatures."

AppleJack smiled, "Ah have family coming from Manehatten, I can't wait to see them, Ah haven't seen Babs since she and Apple Bloom where in Kindergarten."

"Hey Fluttershy, AppleJack," Rainbow Dash said, sliding into the seat next to them, "How's it going?"

They didn't get much chance to talk as Pinkie and Rarity showed up, "Have you seen Sunset?" Pinkie asked, "She wasn't in Art this afternoon."

"She was in Science this morning," AppleJack said, "Mr. Cranky was talking to her about extra credit."

"Maybe she's in the nurse office," Fluttershy suggested, "She didn't look that good when I saw her during Math this morning."

"I was thinking about inviting her to my Gingerbread party," Pinkie said, "I thought maybe it would spark some Christmas Spirit in her."

"She was acting kind of Scroogy," AppleJack agreed.

"And she said she didn't celebrate Christmas," Pinkie insisted, "Who doesn't Celebrate Christmas?"

A loud screeching noise silenced them as Principal Celestia tapped on the mike, "Hello everyone," she said, "I want to thank you all for your help with our school's food drive and all of those who worked so hard to put this little assembly together."

There was a thick mist bellowing around the stage, moving slowly towards the bleachers, causing the students to whisper and squirm, this wasn't part of any of the practices.

The fog was getting thicker and thicker, there was a strange laughing noise as the fog dissepated. There on the stage was an Unicorn whose pale red pelt was clear, "Well hello Everypony," she said brightly, "I have to admit that this is unusual. Usually they would send us to one pony, not to a room full of Humans, is that what you're called, but that's what the higher ups wanted, so that's what I'll do."

"Excuse me..." Vice Principal Luna asked, approaching the ghostly Unicorn, "But who are you."

The ghostly Unicorn laughed, "I guess that's another thing that's different, none of you know me, I'm Rosethorn, I was an orphanage caretaker at an orphanage in Manehatten, in Equestria. I'm the closest thing to a family Sunset ever had, which is why I'm here.

"You seem so caught up with your own holiday plans and helping the greater good, you never even think that one of your own might be struggling." Rosethorn snapped, whipping her gray mane around, "That's why I'm sending three spirits to you. They'll be able to explain what's going on with Sunset Shimmer better than even she could."

"Why are you visiting us," Rainbow Dash demanded, "Sunset Shimmer's the Scrooge."

"Perhaps she isn't a Scrooge," Rosethorn said softly looking past the assembled students and staff, "Perhaps she just needs a little more help and understanding from you."

"What are you talking about?" Pinkie demanded, "She doesn't even celebrate Christmas."

"I'll let the Spirits explain all that," Rosethorn insisted, "The Spirit of Hearthwarming Past should be here in about three minutes. I leave you in her good hands.